• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

Does anyone know what materials are needed for the badges of the 2 new characters, just curious. Might as well farm for them now while I wait for the update (US).
Young Link is similar to Link. The main things you are after are Ganon, Ganondorf and Ghoma (regular Link needed Dodongo here).

Tingle uses an assortment of stuff including Manhandla and Link.

After that it's off to fight Volga and Wizzro near the Allied Keep. It's difficult to bait Volga into revealing his weakpoint, or rather I have difficulty hitting him in time.
The Baton has good range and the combo with the note stream (C3?) is pretty good at keeping enemies at bay. Apparently Volga is a bit of an idiot who will charge you at a distance. As for revealing his weakpoint hit him while he is blocking a few time and he will perform a short jumpstab revealing the weakpoint. The baton is a bit slower than the rapier so not good at close range.

But don't fight the pair of them the same time. 1 on 1 with Wizzro is part of the reason I can't yet get an A rank here (unpredictable punishing attacks are the name of his game).

NeonZ

Just unlocked the Summoning Gate. This weapon is madness! I love how it summons miniature versions of the bosses to fight on your behalf.

Remember the trick to it. After you summon a boss with a strong attack by itself, you get an icon of the boss in your HUD and a light around Lana. Now, summon the same monster in the combo sequence and you'll get a powered up attack.

Simbabbad

what do you mean by this? is there a certain mission on the twilight map that lets you power level or something?
Yes, basically all the "proliferation" missions where one opponents splits multiple times give spectacularly high EXP points, in particular the Ganondorf and Fay missions, simply because you can kill something like 12 "main character" opponents very quickly if you play a character that uses the opposing element (light for Ganondorf, darkness for Fay, etc.).

You can gain two levels like this in less than a minute, and without using an EXP potion. Of course, the higher level you are, the less you gain, but the quicker the mission gets.

Also, you get tons of drops, which you can use to farm high level weapons using the correct potions.

Myself, while farming on those missions I use weapons that have EXP+, Materials+, Rupees+, Slots+ and Stars+, and use a potion that rewards with higher rank weapons (costs a Gold drop which you'll get anyway while doing the mission). Speeds the process of earning levels/rupees/high rank weapons with 5 stars and 7 slots.

The farming is still annoying in this game, though. They should have kept the max level at 99 and designed the levels accordingly, too many farming for too many characters just to get a chance in some missions where enemies are damage sponges (the Twilight Princess map is worst than the Majora's Mask one in that aspect).

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I put more time into this last night. Finished up a few more levels in Legend mode. I think the game is starting to click.

Early on, do I just push through Legend mode, or should I start tinkering with other modes? And should I focus on leveling a bunch of characters or save rupees for dojo training?

shaowebb

Just unlocked the Summoning Gate. This weapon is madness! I love how it summons miniature versions of the bosses to fight on your behalf.
on.

Just remember that if you hit strong attack by itself a random boss comes out. What that does is put a symbol under your meter for that monster. If you then perform the combo that summons that monster instead of getting a normal version of that monster you will get much stronger version of that monster for the combo's attacks. The difference this makes is like night and day for her. Especially with the Manhandla stalks.

All of ya'all talking about the summoning gate.

Remember to ride on the freaking dragon!

I put more time into this last night. Finished up a few more levels in Legend mode. I think the game is starting to click.

Early on, do I just push through Legend mode, or should I start tinkering with other modes? And should I focus on leveling a bunch of characters or save rupees for dojo training?

You say "push through" as if it's a chore, lol.

Yeah, you might as well play through Legends before starting with Adventure. If you'd like you could drop into Adventure to get the Naginata or whatever, but imo going through Legends mode first is the best way of playing the game.

There's no difference between leveling "in-game" and using the dojo.

jlscool

Now the only lv. 1 weapon I need to unlock is the Great Fairy, in the lower left corner of the Adventure map. I need to A-rank the mission to the right of it first. It's a Zelda mission where an A rank will earn me the lv. 2 baton.

Any tips on this mission? It recommends lightning and requires you to use Zelda, so I use the baton. First task is to take out a captain, so I defeat the first winged lizard-man (spelling eludes me at this moment). If I do a weakpoint smash in him, it takes down about a third his HP (my Zelda is lv. 43, and I'm using a 120 baton, iirc). Takes him a while to reveal his weakpoint sometimes, though.

After that it's off to fight Volga and Wizzro near the Allied Keep. It's difficult to bait Volga into revealing his weakpoint, or rather I have difficulty hitting him in time.

When I take those two down, there's a base to the west of the allied base, through which the rogue leader (another winged lizard-man) will pass. He's like a tougher version of the first winged lizard-man. I really want to figure out how to take him down quickly.

Once he's gone, it's to the north of the map to fight Ghirahim. There are two redead knights sending reinforcements, though. It seems the allied base sometimes falls around this point, while I'm fighting Ghirahim. Need to beat it in under 15 minutes, take less than 4,000 damage, and KO 1,200 enemies to get the A-rank.

Tempted to try the guard break potion. Does it only last for one enemy? Or does it last the entire mission and thus I can instantly break the guard of every enemy I encounter?

If you are having trouble taking too much damage, since the mission recommends the lightning element, you could try to get the lightning element defense badges. Also, sometimes if you leave the commanders like Volga and Wizzro alone and just take keeps, it can strengthen your allies to fight back so that the commanders are already damaged somewhat and easier to take down. If the enemy is on fire or strengthened though, this will not work until they are normal morale again.

bobohoro

Meh. Instead of just nerfing damage output by enemies to balance the game, they really should have dropped their defense and adjusted the damage rating accordingly. Battling two named officers in one room, without the right element, just takes way too long, is extremely boring and now not even threatening anymore. Poke Poke, get blocked, back off, Poke Poke, repeat for several minutes. Or insert juggle infinite for some characters. The post game stuff in Hyrule Warriors is really uneven in most parts. :/

In regards to the Summoning Gate, it's important to note that, outside of the utterly ridiculous powered up Argorok move which you should be spamming as much as possible, you need to press strong attack twice to get the boosted move (and the protective orb) to come out since the boost is only applied to the second strong action of the string.

Neiteio

On mobile. Wanted to say thanks for tips on lv. 2 baton mission and for using Summoning Gate.

On another note, it just struck me I really enjoy all of the recurring boss battles in this game -- even the Imprisoned, where a single well-aimed special attack will instantly pop all of his toes.

I've fought some of them countless times, but they never get old. Excellent designs, well-telegraphed attacks, fun mechanics, and a truly monstrous presence. :)

Does the N64 color scheme of King Dodongo ever show up anywhere, or do they stick with the gold and red scheme? (I love the new look for King Dodongo)

Any tips on this mission? It recommends lightning and requires you to use Zelda, so I use the baton. First task is to take out a captain, so I defeat the first winged lizard-man (spelling eludes me at this moment). If I do a weakpoint smash in him, it takes down about a third his HP (my Zelda is lv. 43, and I'm using a 120 baton, iirc). Takes him a while to reveal his weakpoint sometimes, though.

Huh. I thought I was quite behind, but I have pretty much everyone at around 46-50 (except Link, he's much higher) and I've already unlocked all weapons and all tiers except retro ones, including Cya and co's level 3. I guess I'm doing better than I think.

As for Aeralfos, hit them with the hookshot while they're flying or shooting fire and you can pop their weak point gauge AND empty it in one go sometimes. The hookshot turns them into a joke.

Sagitario

Anyone knows if there are double drops in the Majora's Mask map? I wish that was updated across all maps, double material drops are great.

Neiteio

Huh. I thought I was quite behind, but I have pretty much everyone at around 46-50 (except Link, he's much higher) and I've already unlocked all weapons and all tiers except retro ones, including Cya and co's level 3. I guess I'm doing better than I think.

As for Aeralfos, hit them with the hookshot while they're flying or shooting fire and you can pop their weak point gauge AND empty it in one go sometimes. The hookshot turns them into a joke.
I just started playing a week ago, so I'm not sure I'm a good reference point for progress.

I noticed that with the hookshot, but I can't get it to happen consistently. Sometimes they just block upon being grounded.

Anyone knows if there are double drops in the Majora's Mask map? I wish that was updated across all maps, double material drops are great.
Double material is a twilight map perk. I mean given the overall difficulty there has to be some perk to it.

The problem with drops in general is when a giant enemy decides to drop a stupid weapon instead of a material.

MM pack might be double weapons though. The rupees from selling them should come in handy and it might be an idea to spend out on appraisal (10 rupees per kill remaining so a 4000 kill weapon costs 40,000) to see what unsealed skill is on the weapon especially you get too many 4000 KO weapons.

bobohoro

There definitely are enemies that drop more than one weapon, don't know if it is constant though. For most of the maps you'll also get 6 weapon drops instead of the 3/4 that were standard.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Trying to get an A on 8-2 but its so hard. Most of the time it takes too long to kill enough enemies so i end up waith a B. Very frustrating.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I had no idea you could dodge/roll and hold the button down to go directly into sprint. #gamechanger

I am making progress through Legend mode. Will there be any need to grind to finish it, or is grinding saved for the Adventure and Challenge stuff?

I had no idea you could dodge/roll and hold the button down to go directly into sprint. #gamechanger

I am making progress through Legend mode. Will there be any need to grind to finish it, or is grinding saved for the Adventure and Challenge stuff?

No grinding. Stop worrying so much and just have a good time.

colinp

Banned
Is that Death Mountain level crazy hard or am I just playing poorly? My base keeps falling, but I swear I'm doing what they're asking. Should I ignore what they say and protect the base or something? I really like the game but some of how it communicates is kinda odd.

Is that Death Mountain level crazy hard or am I just playing poorly? My base keeps falling, but I swear I'm doing what they're asking. Should I ignore what they say and protect the base or something? I really like the game but some of how it communicates is kinda odd.

Imo all levels are easy but I hear some people are having issues with that level. Really, just take the enemy strongholds asap.

Hmmm, I'll give it another go tomorrow. Thanks!

To elaborate a little; it's been a while since I played, but iirc the enemies keep attacking your base until you take like three specific strongholds or something like that, right? I just ran up to the right, captured the strongholds, moved across the center of the stage, and then captured those strongholds. After that Darunia comes storming down iirc, and then you just pursuit him.

colinp

Banned
To elaborate a little; it's been a while since I played, but iirc the enemies keep attacking your base until you take like three specific strongholds or something like that, right? I just ran up to the right, captured the strongholds, moved across the center of the stage, and then captured those strongholds. After that Darunia comes storming down iirc, and then you just pursuit him.

Yeah, there are bombchus and generals who you're supposed to fight as well. I dunno, I'll give it a go. ;) Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Anbec7

So I'm trying to level up characters for when the DLC hits...

Any tips? I'm mostly using the Rewards Map (I have only unlocked the true heroes or something...) I wait until they're almost dead and then go and defeat them of course I'm using XP weapons skills but... is there a faster way?
Link is around 110 but the others are not so trained.

NeonZ

Do you mean in the story mode? Prioritize taking over those two keeps that can launch rocks and damage your bases bellow above anything else, if you're having problems with the beginning of the stage.

Richie

So I'm trying to level up characters for when the DLC hits...

Any tips? I'm mostly using the Rewards Map (I have only unlocked the true heroes or something...) I wait until they're almost dead and then go and defeat them of course I'm using XP weapons skills but... is there a faster way?
Link is around 110 but the others are not so trained.

Got the Master Quest map? The square at the very bottom left of the map is excellent for leveling up; combine it with EXP skills and you can go 5 levels in one go (My Volga was Level 51 and finished at 58 when it was over!)

shaowebb

No that stage is the point that the game teaches you to prioritize certain keeps and aspects of the battlefield. I lost the first time I tried it because I took to long taking out the boulder keeps/ spent too long prioritizing other things rather than rushing to the boulder keeps everytime they were endanger of falling.

There are stages in games that force you to learn aspects of the game and this one was definitely one for Hyrule Warriors. Don't feel bad though...it got a lot of people and this is legitimately the hardest musou title out there. Its not bad though. Once you prioritize the boulder keeps and hitting anyone who attempts to take those keeps you're golden. Its just rough when you're starting out without a lot of badges unlocked for your characters.

Dreavus

Got the Master Quest map? The square at the very bottom left of the map is excellent for leveling up; combine it with EXP skills and you can go 5 levels in one go (My Volga was Level 51 and finished at 58 when it was over!)

That map is going to be awesome with the EXP potion that's supposed to come with the MM update.

Anbec7

I'll try that ASAP! thank you

That map is going to be awesome with the EXP potion that's supposed to come with the MM update.

As an EU player, I can confirm the potion is real. :D

I just started playing a week ago, so I'm not sure I'm a good reference point for progress.

I noticed that with the hookshot, but I can't get it to happen consistently. Sometimes they just block upon being grounded.

Ah, you must have leveled much faster than me, then. I'm well over 100 hours into it and only a few of my chars have broken level 50.

The hookshot is a crapshot (no pun inteded) indeed, but simply spamming it eventually hits the sweet spot. I'm having many more problems with Stalmasters.

Edit: I just read that the same trick with Darknuts (hitting them once, then rolling behind them) works on Stalmasters. I gotta try that next time.

colinp

Banned
Do you mean in the story mode? Prioritize taking over those two keeps that can launch rocks and damage your bases bellow above anything else, if you're having problems with the beginning of the stage.

No that stage is the point that the game teaches you to prioritize certain keeps and aspects of the battlefield. I lost the first time I tried it because I took to long taking out the boulder keeps/ spent too long prioritizing other things rather than rushing to the boulder keeps everytime they were endanger of falling.

There are stages in games that force you to learn aspects of the game and this one was definitely one for Hyrule Warriors. Don't feel bad though...it got a lot of people and this is legitimately the hardest musou title out there. Its not bad though. Once you prioritize the boulder keeps and hitting anyone who attempts to take those keeps you're golden. Its just rough when you're starting out without a lot of badges unlocked for your characters.

Thank you! I'll give it a go after work. I guess eventually prioritizing gets easier but right now it seems everyone is yelling they need help and I'm not sure who im supposed to actually help. Will focus on just those two Boulder keeps though and see how it goes. Thanks for the thorough explanation!

Thank you! I'll give it a go after work. I guess eventually prioritizing gets easier but right now it seems everyone is yelling they need help and I'm not sure who im supposed to actually help. Will focus on just those two Boulder keeps though and see how it goes. Thanks for the thorough explanation!

If you pause the game, you can see the health of both allies, enemies and keeps. If a vital ally reaches critical health or is facing a very tough foe; then and only then should you prioritize helping them.

colinp

Banned
If you pause the game, you can see the health of both allies, enemies and keeps. If a vital ally reaches critical health or is facing a very tough foe; then and only then should you prioritize helping them.

Ah ok, good to know.

I've been playing using the gamepad and the screen shows their health. Do most people prefer the pro controller?

Ah ok, good to know.

I've been playing using the gamepad and the screen shows their health. Do most people prefer the pro controller?
Bottom screen only shows the health of the major characters. Random captain #5 won't appear there for example.

But yes it generally gives two warnings which are something like in trouble at 50% health and in danger at 25% health.

colinp

Banned
Get a pro controller when you can, the battery is godlike

I have one, just don't use it much. Plus I have the expanded gamepad battery and don't play for that long at once to make it run out anyway.

Bottom screen only shows the health of the major characters. Random captain #5 won't appear there for example.

But yes it generally gives two warnings which are something like in trouble at 50% health and in danger at 25% health.

Right! That's true. Ok I'll pay attention to that more. ;)

Neiteio

About 40 hours in now. Just unlocked the Great Fountain Fairy. Maaaaaaaaan, is she slow. Devastating attacks, though. Clearly a tank weapon!

Previously in this thread, I asked for help on the Zelda mission to get the lv. 2 Sacred Baton. I wound up using the Guard Break potion, and the Dominion Rod, which goes against the lightning recommendation but chewed through enemy officers much quicker.

I also got Ganondorf's Swords of Darkness and Ruto's Golden Scale. I have a lot of lv. 3 weapon missions open, but so far, I think I've only got Impa's Sheikah Naginata...

...which is great, because that's probably my favorite character and weapon! Been focusing on getting Heart Pieces and Heart Containers for her now.

This game has SO MUCH CONTENT. And I can't seem to get enough. I swear, I keep turning on my WiiU thinking, "Alright, time for some Mario Kart!" And then I just end up playing Hyrule Warriors, lol.

Dreavus

I don't think the great fairy is actually any slower, it just seems that way because the camera is pulled out so far.

The Norn effect in action.

colinp

Banned
Ok, I tried again and it was MUCH easier. Thanks for the advice guys!

Also, I tried playing with the Pro controller and eeehhhhhh I really don't like it. I've got big hands and I feel like I don't have enough support for my ring fingers. I dunno, it was really weird. I haven't had the problem before with the Pro so I think it's because I'm using ALL the buttons with this game. So game pad all the way for me with Hyrule Warriors!

I do really like the Pro, just not for this game.

Rafavert

About 40 hours in now. Just unlocked the Great Fountain Fairy. Maaaaaaaaan, is she slow. Devastating attacks, though. Clearly a tank weapon!

Previously in this thread, I asked for help on the Zelda mission to get the lv. 2 Sacred Baton. I wound up using the Guard Break potion, and the Dominion Rod, which goes against the lightning recommendation but chewed through enemy officers much quicker.

I also got Ganondorf's Swords of Darkness and Ruto's Golden Scale. I have a lot of lv. 3 weapon missions open, but so far, I think I've only got Impa's Sheikah Naginata...

...which is great, because that's probably my favorite character and weapon! Been focusing on getting Heart Pieces and Heart Containers for her now.

This game has SO MUCH CONTENT. And I can't seem to get enough. I swear, I keep turning on my WiiU thinking, "Alright, time for some Mario Kart!" And then I just end up playing Hyrule Warriors, lol.

This game feels endless...!

And Dreavus is right. The fairy is just as fast as the others. She's just so big she SEEMS slow =p all of her combos finishers give her invincibility, too, though I find them rather slow. I had a hard time finishing her tier 3 mission because I couldn't finish on time (tip for anyone trying: get the SP restoring potion. Her special is very useful to clear mobs quickly and be wary of using her +att -def buff, because if you're not careful, the damage will rack up very quickly [damage taken increases by ~75%].)

Ok, I tried again and it was MUCH easier. Thanks for the advice guys!

Also, I tried playing with the Pro controller and eeehhhhhh I really don't like it. I've got big hands and I feel like I don't have enough support for my ring fingers. I dunno, it was really weird. I haven't had the problem before with the Pro so I think it's because I'm using ALL the buttons with this game. So game pad all the way for me with Hyrule Warriors!

I do really like the Pro, just not for this game.

I'm with you. I love Pro, but the gamepad feels more comfortable in this game. Plus, the touch screen, while fairly underutilized, is the fastest way to switch items.

jorgejjvr

I think can't see the dlc. Isn't it today??

Edit: nvm, went to the eshop from the game itself and it started downloading

BTW isn't there a boss pack too?

Edit 2: whatever downloaded was NOT the majora mask pack. Weird. Help?

TheMoon

I think can't see the dlc. Isn't it today??

Edit: nvm, went to the eshop from the game itself and it started downloading

BTW isn't there a boss pack too?

Edit 2: whatever downloaded was NOT the majora mask pack. Weird. Help?

this is normal. restart, restart, restart. sooner or later it'll download.

SoldnerKei

So keep turning the game on and off?

usually you first download the game, then it gets installed, then you have to boot up the game, if you get the "You have unlocked new character" message then you can access the dlc content, if not, which is more likely, you will have to restart the game(close software, boot up again... I know -_-) after the second boot up you should get the message

Top Bottom