• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hyrule Warriors |OT| Why are the enemies not doing anything?

TheMoon

Okay, i need to know if I should get this game or not.

1. I am not a "moussou" or whatever it is fanatic. I've played a few dynast warriors games back in the day and found them fun but mostly generic.

2. I AM a huge Zelda universe fan.

I'm kind of torn...also, it was my b-day 2 days ago so I need (yes, need) to treat myself to a new game :)

1 + 2 = buy

jimi_dini

Okay, i need to know if I should get this game or not.

1. I am not a "moussou" or whatever it is fanatic. I've played a few dynast warriors games back in the day and found them fun but mostly generic.

2. I AM a huge Zelda universe fan.

I'm kind of torn...also, it was my b-day 2 days ago so I need (yes, need) to treat myself to a new game :)

I never played dynasty warrior games and thought they were boring and repetitive. And I'm a Zelda fan. I also didn't know if I would like it, but preordered it anyways. The game is fricking awesome. Get it. There is an insane amount of content and the game is like a Zelda love letter.

weekev

Banned
I can't get the fun of these type of games. It's just like the OT.

Aren't all mousou games be like that? Don't get how people enjoy killng a bunch of lifeless enemies that look all the same and TVE only thing they do is run straight to you.
Its more strategy than staying alive, if you dont keep an eye on the mission objectives and protect your allies its game over. Also the boss battles are pretty good.

Kouriozan

Trying to get A rank on that Zelda map with the Wind Waker level 2 so I can unlock Link's final weapon...
Just wow, I don't kill enough ennemies, then oops, you got too much damage, finally yay A for KO and damage but.... B for time because I did it in 15mins 39 0_o
Just my luck~

Anyway, my Zelda is getting quite OP with all that training x)

Raven77

I never played dynasty warrior games and thought they were boring and repetitive. And I'm a Zelda fan. I also didn't know if I would like it, but preordered it anyways. The game is fricking awesome. Get it. There is an insane amount of content and the game is like a Zelda love letter.

Awesome, thanks for the impressions!

TheMoon

lol

Also again to ensure everyone gets it:

- Can't use Wii Classic Controller Pro
- Can use Wii U Pro Controller

Wii U game OTs should have a feature section by default with supported controllers!

(sorry for criticizing the OT so much^^)

Controllers supported:
Wii U GamePad (single player & co-op)
Wii U Pro Controller (single player & co-op)
Wii Remote & Nunchuk (co-op only? not sure? someone pls confirm)

System features supported:
Off-TV Play
Two-Screen Co-Op (One player on the GamePad, the other on the TV)

Zomba13

This game shows me that I don't Hate Dynasty Warroirs or any of the other Warriors games because of the gameplay, I hate them because I find the subject matter boooooring. I remember enjoying DW2 on the PS2 and playing 3 at a friends house but didn't touch another until DW Next (I think thats the one) on Vita (PS+) and not getting into it and I think it's because I don't care about the characters or the world or the yellow turban rebellion and I don't care about One Piece or Gundam or Fist of the north star or whatever other Musou varients there are.
This though, The Zelda characters, the cool weapons and moves, the music and locations actually speaks to me and I find it enjoyable as a result.

Question for fellow UK players, is there any way to get the costume packs for Zelda and Link? I know they were part of the special edition in JP and in NA were retailer exclusive but I've not seen any preorder bonus stuff here. I got mine from Amazon and didn't see a notice and GAME and the Nintendo store only carried the special edition with the scarf. They also aren't on the store to buy, just the season pass.

Qurupeke

I finished Legend Mode earlier and now I'm on Adventure mode. The game has so much content already, I wonder what the DLC will add.

Sify64

This game shows me that I don't Hate Dynasty Warroirs or any of the other Warriors games because of the gameplay, I hate them because I find the subject matter boooooring. I remember enjoying DW2 on the PS2 and playing 3 at a friends house but didn't touch another until DW Next (I think thats the one) on Vita (PS+) and not getting into it and I think it's because I don't care about the characters or the world or the yellow turban rebellion and I don't care about One Piece or Gundam or Fist of the north star or whatever other Musou varients there are.
This though, The Zelda characters, the cool weapons and moves, the music and locations actually speaks to me and I find it enjoyable as a result.

Question for fellow UK players, is there any way to get the costume packs for Zelda and Link? I know they were part of the special edition in JP and in NA were retailer exclusive but I've not seen any preorder bonus stuff here. I got mine from Amazon and didn't see a notice and GAME and the Nintendo store only carried the special edition with the scarf. They also aren't on the store to buy, just the season pass.

wVZfjBc.png

Zomba13

Yes, I know. I'm just wondering if there was any way to get the pre-order stuff in the UK. As far as I'm aware there were no stores offering it as pre-order DLC and I was wondering if they just didn't give us the choice or if it was with a retailer I missed.

except for this very useful bit of information^^

it's just text!

I guess, but everyone knows those things, except for the Wii CCP not being supported, though I didn't know any Wii U game supported it to be honest.

Speaking of which does MK8, DKC and/or 3D World support the Wii CCP?

Zoracka

Yes, I know. I'm just wondering if there was any way to get the pre-order stuff in the UK. As far as I'm aware there were no stores offering it as pre-order DLC and I was wondering if they just didn't give us the choice or if it was with a retailer I missed.
I ordered my copy through amazon.co.uk and I got some costumes for preordering

The costumes were preorder DLC in the UK at Game, amazon and nintendos uk store. Can't remember which got which set, butt hey were the same sets as other regions.

I guess, but everyone knows those things, except for the Wii CCP not being supported, though I didn't know any Wii U game supported it to be honest.

3D world and mario kart 8 do. not sure about DKC.

Zomba13

The costumes were preorder DLC in the UK at Game, amazon and nintendos uk store. Can't remember which got which set, butt hey were the same sets as other regions.

Weird. I didn't get anything from Amazon :( and when I checked game and nintendo I didn't see a notice (granted, I was only checking out the Limited edition and debating whether or not I could justify that much extra for a scarf I'd never wear).

NZerker12

That's weird Amazon had the skyward sword costumes, did you preorder?

GAME had Twilight princess and shopto had OOT costumes.

Just defeated a
golden
cucco (holy shit that was tough) and thought I was going to get an achivement (theres a few marked as ???) but seems I got nothing.

BUT I think the game just gave me the most overpowered weapon ever for defeating it (that or was just luck, but it was probably the cuccos), Wooden retro sword with 380 of power with six slots. The slots covered are strong attack, combo 3, Light +, Materials+. Then Two other slots open so I can add anything I want.

It's only a 3 stars sword though lol

Oh wow, I never knew.

Okay then yeah, it doesn't make much sense why HW doesn't support it.

I'm hoping support for wii CCP gets patched in. Played a fair bit of coop today, but had to use a wiimote/nunchuck for player 2, and my wrist is killing me.

The absurdity of mapping normal attack to wiimote waggle with no option to remap it to any other button while other less used functions are remappable baffles me.

TheMoon

MK8 does, SM3DW does. TW101 does, Bayonetta 2 does, MH3U does, NFSMWU does, a bunch of eShop games do, all Virtual Console games do and I'm probably forgetting some retail games, too. DKCTF does not.

I'm hoping support for wii CCP gets patched in. Played a fair bit of coop today, but had to use a wiimote/nunchuck for player 2, and my wrist is killing me.

The absurdity of mapping normal attack to wiimote waggle with no option to remap it to any other button while other less used functions are remappable baffles me.

Buy a Pro Controller. Best thing you'll ever do. Really, it's that good.

It's waggle? Wow. Then again I suppose they ran out of buttons. The Wii U Pro controller is awesome though, you should get one! I use it for most Wii U games. Feels really nice.

Jackano

BUT I think the game just gave me the most overpowered weapon ever for defeating it (that or was just luck, but it was probably the
cuccos
), Wooden retro sword with 380 of power with six slots. The slots covered are strong attack, combo 3, Light +, Materials+. Then Two other slots open so I can add anything I want.

It's only a 3 stars sword though lol

Oh so that's maybe where I got mine!

After many a long battle I've finally unlocked Zant and boy does he delivers in spades.
Zant has a bunch of combos that will lead him into doing an extended and humorously mash worthy attack that builds up his secondary meter, so you'll say bring out a wallmaster and keep swatting over and over to build the bar up. If you go over the limit then Zant gets stunned and the attack ends early and the bar power is lost to boot. However ending the move when the bar is full lets you enter a brief mode where he drops the mask and can go full on Tasmanian devil with a controllable rapid spin or just sit back and blast rapid orb projectiles, seeing a King Dodongo attempted to roll over my face at one stage you may also be invincible.
You can turn giant and give new meaning to the term stomping a mudhole and walking it dry, Jim Ross would be so proud. Even going back to the Wallmaster move the final string of the attack has the hand smacking back and forth against Twilight barriers and a lovely little touch is Zant controlling the hands erratic movement with the sharp movements of his own head.
As you may be able to tell I'm pretty chuffed with how they've handled Zant, he feels suitably unhinged and the various attacks are full of callbacks to his own TP battle even including the Forest Temple totem pole. And to think some people still think Zant going from his façade of generic evil villain to tempter tantrum insanity towards the end of TP was a bad thing, Hyrule Warriors is more evidence to that revelation being the best possible thing.

Speaking of villains, Ghirahim has a pretty great moveset as well and it's already become one of my favourites, I love how they implemented his ability to create flooring and barriers so you can just elevate a whole group of enemies into a ceiling he's just whipped up, they even threw in his final form look for the temp power up. The hidden highlight is his chest opening animation, even the way he pops it open has this distinctly Ghirahim like flick of the rest.

So basically this game is indeed glorious Zelda fan service.

Trying to get A rank on that Zelda map with the Wind Waker level 2 so I can unlock Link's final weapon...
Just wow, I don't kill enough ennemies, then oops, you got too much damage, finally yay A for KO and damage but.... B for time because I did it in 15mins 39 0_o
Just my luck~

Anyway, my Zelda is getting quite OP with all that training x)
Tried this earlier, yeah there was no way I was getting that A rank, headed into my main base at one stage to see Volgamania was running wild and my health got absolutely blitzed.

RiggyRob

I wish you could have the stage map on the gamepad, sometimes it's a bit eye straining for me to pinpoint which Hyrulian (or is it Hylian?) captain is screaming for his life within the sea of red and blue in that small space in the top corner of the tv screen while the gamepad takes up most of its real estate with messages which could be condensed into a scrolling list.
Maps and second screens are a match made in video game heaven after all.

IIRC it's Hyrulean actually, which is wrong as it should be Hylian. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an option to do anything with the minimap other than zoom in on it (but then again I've bring playing mainly co-op with the missus, so I don't know if you can switch it to the Gamepad in single-player.

I'm a huge Zelda fan and end up playing pretty much every Zelda game I can, but I'm just not interested in this game, at all. I've never played a Dynasty Warriors game before, and the combat really doesn't look like the kind of thing I'd like. Dark Souls has spoilt me in that regard, now I just hate anything that is even remotely button mashing. I might get it for cheap down the road, but I just don't really care. All the preorder and DLC garbage hasn't helped to give me a positive attitude, either.

DLC garbage? It's not ideal but it's still a preorder bonus, it's not like they're locking it exclusively to separate retailers forever.

Edit:
Oh so that's maybe where I got mine!
I knew there was a point to fighting the Cucco in the Fairy Fountain! Unfortunately after killing the
Golden
Cucco the rest of them just beasted on us
which actually led to us getting the medal for it

McNum

Just realized that I've missed all the Pieces of Heart and Heart Containers so far. Didn't even know i had to look until I randomly bombed a rock and Link found a Heart Contrainer. These things are usually useful. Are there any ingame hints to find these, or am I looking at a ton of Free Play runs to find these things?

Also, I'm beginning to figure this Musou thing out, I believe. Basically... it's a superhero game. Unless met by an equal and opposite force, it's not a mater if I can complete my task, because there's not really anything that can stop me, but more WHAT task I choose to complete. It's the Superman dilemma. Superman can do anything... but not everything. Choose. Victory or Defeat lies not in strength alone, but in picking the right area to apply that strength.

And on that note. Sheik is awesome. Does the Serenade of Water really make Sheik invincible for its duration? I noticed I didn't take damage, even when a boss unleashed a combo. Is that really how it is? Because if so, Sheik is amazingly powerful. Light, Heavy, Pause, Heavy. Serenade of Water. Proceed to mow down enemies with impunity.

jonno394

Just realized that I've missed all the Pieces of Heart and Heart Containers so far. Didn't even know i had to look until I randomly bombed a rock and Link found a Heart Contrainer. These things are usually useful. Are there any ingame hints to find these, or am I looking at a ton of Free Play runs to find these things?.

I'm not even sure they're available in free play. I thought they were only available in legend mode. Only hints are on the level select area as they show you what character you need to play as.

Useful thing to do is capturing out of the way keeps (ones not involved in the "plot" of the level) and bombing every boulder you see.

MouldyK

I'm sure near the start of the story, I could target any enemy with a health bar, but now I only can target some.

Maybe I was just imagining it.

Alright, got all the weapons but the Master Sword still has its locked skill.
I guess I need ALL weapons level too, wow...

Not played Adventure Mode yet, so what do Weapon Levels do?

McNum

I'm not even sure they're available in free play. I thought they were only available in legend mode. Only hints are on the level select area as they show you what character you need to play as.

Useful thing to do is capturing out of the way keeps (ones not involved in the "plot" of the level) and bombing every boulder you see.
Well the icons for them are there on Free Play, but I need to play as the proper character, of course.

daydream

Banned

Heart containers and pieces are available in Free mode. That's where I've been getting them.

It's waggle? Wow. Then again I suppose they ran out of buttons. The Wii U Pro controller is awesome though, you should get one! I use it for most Wii U games. Feels really nice.

I have 4 wii classic controller pros (and will also have 4 gamecube controllers once that adapter is released). I'm not buying a wii u pro controller for a single game when I already have a pile of controllers that for all intents and purposes might as well be the same thing.

TheMoon

I have 4 wii classic controller pros (and will also have 4 gamecube controllers once that adapter is released). I'm not buying a wii u pro controller for a single game when I already have a pile of controllers that for all intents and purposes might as well be the same thing.

But they're not the same thing. The Wii U Pro Controller is what will be supported by the majority of games whereas you're lucky when a new game has legacy support for another optional last-gen controller such as the CC. Besides, it's soo so so so so so much better than the CCPro. You could sell all your CCPros and GCN controllers basically and retain the exact same functionality unless you're still playing Wii/GCN games with those, of course.

zroid

Banned

I was in the same boat, and I said the same thing as you. Then I finally caved in and bought one a week or two ago and I'm glad I did. It is a damn good controller.

Just throwing in my two cents ;)

I sorely regretted my decision to involve the warmongering Cucco faction in the fight for the Twilight Realm, though it was partly worth it for the surreal sight of Argorok toasting the feathered fiends in the palace of twilight.

Top Bottom