• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Hey all. I've finally decided to start shopping for a new PC.

I'm following the "$784" model but I had a question. While browsing newegg I saw a CPU + Mobo + Ram bundle. Is it safe to just go ahead and get this and then the other parts? It seems in-line with what I'm looking at, maybe a little better.

EDIT: Maybe I'll just "steal" one of the already posted builds in here.

Question: if I'm going to build my pc today, is it a good idea to just use the stock cooler that comes with the ryzen 7 and then replace that a week later when I get the correct part for my cryorig cooler? Or should I not bother with that and its better to just wait for the part and do it then?

Question: if I'm going to build my pc today, is it a good idea to just use the stock cooler that comes with the ryzen 7 and then replace that a week later when I get the correct part for my cryorig cooler? Or should I not bother with that and its better to just wait for the part and do it then?

Depends on whether you want to clean the thermal paste off your CPU in a week.

eh, my buddy floated the idea and he's the one making it, so I guess that's for him to decide. I just want to make sure its not a bad idea for any reason

bomblord1

Banned
eh, my buddy floated the idea and he's the one making it, so I guess that's for him to decide. I just want to make sure its not a bad idea for any reason

There's no technical reason you can't if that's what you are worried about the swap should go smooth as long as you take the proper steps to clean off the thermal paste. However, depending on the cooler and case you may need to remove the motherboard to swap out the backplate in order to put the new cooler on which can be an absolute pain.

Arex

Hey all - I'm looking to get a new PC for my cousin. He's just started college and was wanting to get one for school and gaming (really.. it's for gaming). At first, we were going to get a pre-built computer, but I think building one may be for the best.

Would the following be good?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.28 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.49 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($145.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: PNY - CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($45.87 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Blue) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $960.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-09-01 09:06 EDT-0400

Pretty good I'd say, maybe can get away with 450-550w PSU.
Might want to change to Black/Red S340, as the RAM and GPU are red themed.
Also you picked a mATX motherboard, maybe you can also consider downsizing to mATX case such as Fractaldesign Define Mini C or Coolermaster MasterBox Lite 3.1?

Just as a PSA to anyone else who is considering a Gigabyte video card, and you like the 'able to OC on the fly' : the OC part is software driven and that same software, AORUS Graphics Engine, causes a direct BSOD when it tries to run. So that part of the marketing is basically bullshit since you can't actually use it. The card is fine, just not the software part.

That 'shiny new part' after seven years though (for me).

Hmm I'm using the AORUS software for OC-ing my 1080, and haven't had any BSOD. ymmv I guess.

Hey all. I've finally decided to start shopping for a new PC.

I'm following the "$784" model but I had a question. While browsing newegg I saw a CPU + Mobo + Ram bundle. Is it safe to just go ahead and get this and then the other parts? It seems in-line with what I'm looking at, maybe a little better.

EDIT: Maybe I'll just "steal" one of the already posted builds in here.

The RAM is only 2400 though, I'd spend a bit more and get 3200. Ryzen likes high speed RAM lol.

ISee

And do what with it? That motherboard doesn't support anything higher than 2400.

Of course it does, as all other b350 boards
screenshot_20170901-1ikspp.png

You ate probably thinking about Intel's b250 boards.

Arex

yeah, will need to use the xmp or overclock, but they do support over 2400. May want to check the QVL list tho for compatibility :)

So I have a few questions regarding audio.
I have a Asus strix b350 fgaming, which apparently has a better sound than regular Mobo.

If I want to have better sound , what are my options ? I have questions :
1. Wired headsets are usually better overall correct ? I am talking about sound quality
2. If I want to improve the sound quality, is it better to buy a more high end headset or buy a soundboard ?
3. Is this something useful ?Creative Sound BlasterX G5 7.1 Headphone Surround HD Audio External Sound Card with Headphone Amplifier SB1700 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018JUPY3A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What would provide better sound? That device or a sound card ? Which one would you recommend ?
4. Options of good wired (or wireless of the quality of sound is similar ) without breaking the bank ?

Thanks

ISee

So I have a few questions regarding audio.
I have a Asus strix b350 fgaming, which apparently has a better sound than regular Mobo.

If I want to have better sound , what are my options ? I have questions :
1. Wired headsets are usually better overall correct ? I am talking about sound quality
2. If I want to improve the sound quality, is it better to buy a more high end headset or buy a soundboard ?
3. Is this something useful ?Creative Sound BlasterX G5 7.1 Headphone Surround HD Audio External Sound Card with Headphone Amplifier SB1700 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B018JUPY3A/?tag=neogaf0e-20

What would provide better sound? That device or a sound card ? Which one would you recommend ?
4. Options of good wired (or wireless of the quality of sound is similar ) without breaking the bank ?

Thanks

If you want to use the on board sound chip, which is indeed very good you have to use a wired non USB or optical toslink headset.

USB headsets use their own USB soundcards and the sound blaster is also an external USE card. I have the same soundchip on my board and I'd recommend using it over any external use solution.
An acceptable true 5.1 headset is the roccat cave 5.1 XTD analogue. The Mike quality isn't great though and older versions had problems with static noise.

If you want to use the on board sound chip, which is indeed very good you have to use a wired non USB or optical toslink headset.

USB headsets use their own USB soundcards and the sound blaster is also an external USE card. I have the same soundchip on my board and I'd recommend using it over any external use solution.
An acceptable true 5.1 headset is the roccat cave 5.1 XTD analogue. The Mike quality isn't great though and older versions had problems with static noise.

Ok, that is what I am using , a wired headset with my onboard sound. So I guess if I need upgrade would be just on the headset right ? Thanks

Of course it does, as all other b350 boards

You ate probably thinking about Intel's b250 boards.

Oh yeah you're right. In the summary for that board on Newegg's page it doesn't list OC mode support; just says 2666/2400/2133. You have to scroll down to see. Kind of weird.

Eggiem

Ok, first post in this thread.

My current build:
CPU: i5 4670k
Motherboard: MSi Z87-G43
Memory: 8gb DDR3 1600 Crucial
Storage: Seagate 1TB 7200
Video Card: HIS R9 280X iPower IceQ X²
Case: Bitfenix Shinobi Midi
Power Supply: Corsair VS650
Display: Philips 1080p 60hz monitor

Everything works fine.

So I now have the opportunity to buy a NEW ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX Advanced for 400€ with 2 years warranty from Saturn/ Asus and a Destiny 2 Key!

Should I buy this one? I think its overkill for my setup, but the price is soo tempting. What should I do Gaf? Is the i5 a bottlenck?

kuYuri

My current build:

Everything works fine.

So I now have the opportunity to buy a NEW ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX Advanced for 400€ with 2 years warranty from Saturn/ Asus and a Destiny 2 Key!

Should I buy this one? I think its overkill for my setup, but the price is soo tempting. What should I do Gaf? Is the i5 a bottlenck?

Nah, it's not a bottleneck.

My current build:

Everything works fine.

Not gonna lie, I'd probably do it. :p Assuming that's a good price in euros.

Your i5 will be fine--I would overclock it if you haven't already.

Just as a PSA to anyone else who is considering a Gigabyte video card, and you like the 'able to OC on the fly' : the OC part is software driven and that same software, AORUS Graphics Engine, causes a direct BSOD when it tries to run. So that part of the marketing is basically bullshit since you can't actually use it. The card is fine, just not the software part.

That 'shiny new part' after seven years though (for me).

Why not use MSI afterburner?

Thanks, but why do I need to drop my memory clock? The RAM is rated for 3200MHZ and it's set as such. I've been trying to find some reviews where they overclock the 1700 but literally every single one of the reviews I've found where they overclock it they just use some Asus MOBO that has a 1 click 4ghz button in the BIOS so they don't say anything about what voltages or anything to set it to (I've usually found that CPU reviews actually give their numbers for a stable OC but that seems to not happen with the Ryzen and I have no clue how to know what a good voltage is)

Just for the sake of stability. You can put your RAM back up to full speed later on after finding stability in your CPU core clock. Basically, your CPU could be fine at 4ghz, and your RAM could be fine at 3200mhz, but both clocked at those speeds together may cause stability issues due to voltage settings, etc. and you'll need to iron that out through other settings in the BIOS.

So you drop your RAM down to 2133mhz for now, then put your CPU core clock to say, 3.4ghz and set your voltage to about 1.3v. Then see if that'll post.
If it does, great. Run some stress tests to check temps and stability and assuming all is fine then you can go back into your BIOS and up the core clock a bit more, say to 3.5ghz.
From there, go up in smaller increments, say 50mhz to 25mhz on the core clock and just work up until you find instability. Then either drop your core clock or up your voltage.

Avoid any automatic overclocking option in your BIOS, they can be a bit iffy and a manual OC will always be the most stable option.

Here's the video I mentioned earlier. It's really in depth, however there will be some small differences since he's doing it through an ASRock BIOS and yours is an Asus. Either way, it should help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52Tw-wcT7o4&list=PLZT_SZiFdpElbG0yfJxJpQ6NWUnf2wXs8&index=3

What DDR-3000 ram works with the AsRock AB350M Pro4 and is sold at MicroCenter?

Looking for a 8gb or two 8gb for 16gb.

Thanks.

I can vouch for Corsair Vengeance LPX C15 working on it. I'm running 2 4Gb sticks at 2933mhz through XMP profile.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0123ZBPDA/

Pandemic

Thanks mate.

A few days ago Windows 10 updated itself. Since then, when I play Rainbow Six Siege (haven't tried any other games that are strenuous), I get different types of error codes under the blue screen of death.

It'll either be, ''IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL'', ''DRIVER_CORRUPTED_EXPOOL'', or ''Kernel Security Check Failure''.

When this occurs, it says it'll restart but it doesn't so I manually restart it. From here it just continuously restarts.. Turns off, turns on, turns off, turns on. I tried disconnecting it from the power, plugged it back in and hit the power button then restarts continuously again.

After 15 minutes of leaving the computer alone, it fixes itself. Using the web, videos, etc for hours is fine, but seems to be when I play a strenuous game? Or something with my hardware. Been considering getting a new computer so maybe it's the right time hah.

Again, thanks for the help.

Alrighty, I've given up with trying to figure out whats wrong with my computer, I did hard drive and memory checks but they didn't bring anything up, so I'm just gonna invest in a new one. Had it for 3-4 years so probably time to get a new one..

Is there anything worth keeping from this PC?

Specs are,
- Intel Core i7-3770K: 3.50GHz
- 16GB Samsung Ram
- GeForce GTX 680
- 1TB Hard Drive

Not sure what my other specs are, how do I check? Lol..

Appreciate anyones help!

Alrighty, I've given up with trying to figure out whats wrong with my computer, I did hard drive and memory checks but they didn't bring anything up, so I'm just gonna invest in a new one. Had it for 3-4 years so probably time to get a new one..

Specs are,
- 16GB Samsung Ram
- GeForce GTX 680
- 1TB Hard Drive

Appreciate anyones help!

You can reuse the case and hard drive easily. You can use the GPU if it was already meeting your needs. Your power supply would be good too most likely. I recommend reformatting the hard drive before putting it into your new build, then install Windows once it's in your new build.

CPU, RAM, and mobo would need to be replaced if you want a modern CPU.

Specs are,
- 16GB Samsung Ram
- GeForce GTX 680
- 1TB Hard Drive

Appreciate anyones help!

Keep your CPU mobo and RAM. Just get a new GPU, an SSD and possibly a new PSU depending on how good/recent your old one is.

About the blue screens, I think someone mentioned there's a utility for examining them. Maybe bluuscreenviewer or something like that? Someone else can chime in.

I would expect it's most likely a software issue... have you tried reinstalling your graphics drivers?

And at this point I would not replace your CPU. It's still very capable, particularly if you overclock it. Just figure out what's wrong with your system and get a 1080 Ti. :p

taoofjord

I've got a GTX 1080 and looking to get a new monitor with a higher refresh rate. Probably 1440p, 144hz, with GSync.

Anyway I have an i5-4690K so I'll need to upgrade my CPU. I'm looking at the Enthusiast level PC. So, i7-7700k with the Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming 5. I'll also grab 16GB DDR4 at 3200mhz. Is this a good choice at this point? Should I wait a couple months for something right around the corner? Or should I go a step up with the CPU?

Also, any recommendations on a monitor that fits the above and also has excellent picture quality? Or is that still a pipe dream at the moment?

Renekton

I’ve got a GTX 1080 and looking to get a new monitor with a higher refresh rate. Probably 1440p, 144hz, with GSync.

Anyway I have an i5-4690K so I’ll need to upgrade my CPU. I’m looking at the Enthusiast level PC. So, i7-7700k with the Gigabyte Z270MX-Gaming 5. I’ll also grab 16GB DDR4 at 3200mhz. Is this a good choice at this point? Should I wait a couple months for something right around the corner? Or should I go a step up with the CPU?

Also, any recommendations on a monitor that fits the above and also has excellent picture quality? Or is that still a pipe dream at the moment?
CPU:
Well the 8700K is scheduled to be announced in October (maybe availability November-December), so it depends if you can wait. For gaming, I strongly doubt 8700K will have better performance than 7700K unless you do heavy streaming while you game.

Monitor:
For TN, check out Dell S2716DG for its support and better than average motion blur.
For IPS, check out the Viewsonic XG2703 for bang for buck (relatively).

Pandemic

You can reuse the case and hard drive easily. You can use the GPU if it was already meeting your needs. Your power supply would be good too most likely. I recommend reformatting the hard drive before putting it into your new build, then install Windows once it's in your new build.

CPU, RAM, and mobo would need to be replaced if you want a modern CPU.

Thanks for your response man. I'm trying to find detailed specs of my computer so I can see what I should and shouldn't replace.

Keep your CPU mobo and RAM. Just get a new GPU, an SSD and possibly a new PSU depending on how good/recent your old one is.

About the blue screens, I think someone mentioned there's a utility for examining them. Maybe bluuscreenviewer or something like that? Someone else can chime in.

I would expect it's most likely a software issue... have you tried reinstalling your graphics drivers?

And at this point I would not replace your CPU. It's still very capable, particularly if you overclock it. Just figure out what's wrong with your system and get a 1080 Ti. :p

I tried playing the game again for about 20 minutes and it didn't seem to crash.. Not sure if Ubisoft released a patch to resolve the issue or something, but seems to be working for now. I'll keep an eye on it for now. Cheers for the help though!

As for the parts, I was going to replace the CPU but if you say it's still good, then I guess I'll keep it. Definitely need a new GPU.

Pandemic

Alright, was able to locate my specs,
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 680 OC 4GB
Hard Drive: Western Digital WD Black 2TB WD2002FAEX
CPU Cooler: Enermax Liquid CPU Cooler ELC240
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar DGX
Optical Drive: Pioneer DVR-220LBKS Black 24x DVDRW OEM
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50, 4 core
Wireless: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 450Mbps Wireless N PCIe Adaptor
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB SSD
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl
MOBO: MSI Z77 MPOWER Motherboard
PSU: CoolerMaster Silent Pro Hybrid M850 850W

What do I keep and what do I get rid of for my new PC build? It's a 4 year old build.

Thanks for the help.

Renekton

What do I keep and what do I get rid of for my new PC build? It's a 4 year old build.

Thanks for the help.
Looks like only the GPU and RAM should be changed

spootime

Thanks for the help.

How much do you want to spend? You could just slap a 1070 or 1080 in there and call it a day. Or you could go ham and buy an 8700k as well which would essentially be a new system.

Mercador

Thanks for the help.
I would only change the GPU and add a 512gb SSD for demanding games.

Pandemic

Looks like only the GPU and RAM should be changed

Cheers for the response. Definitely the GPU is in need of an upgrade. What do you recommend for the RAM?

Is everything else, such as the power supply and motherboard still good to use?

How much do you want to spend? You could just slap a 1070 or 1080 in there and call it a day. Or you could go ham and buy an 8700k as well which would essentially be a new system.

Definitely going to upgrade the GPU, and I'll look into the 1070/1080. 8700k? CPU you're referring to? Cheers for the response.

I would only change the GPU and add a 512gb SSD for demanding games.

Yep, I'll change the GPU. As for the SSD, was thinking that needs an upgrade too. Thanks for the response mate.

In terms of the whole system, is it better off getting a whole new build? I'm happy to spend 1000+ but not go crazy with money.

Renekton

Cheers for the response. Definitely the GPU is in need of an upgrade. What do you recommend for the RAM?

PSU and mobo seem okay. If your mobo is bugging out, then upgrade mobo+CPU.

For RAM, get any DDR3-2133. 1600 is a serious bottleneck.

Considering the cost of ram right now (even used ddr3) I wouldn't bother swapping ram. Definitely GPU though!
It's a super important upgrade, so he has to stomach it.

RAM prices are not going to normalize even well into 2018.

1600 is a very serious, horrible bottleneck for gaming. Take it from me, I am using them right now and waiting for Covfefe Lake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frNjT5R5XI4

https://www.techspot.com/article/1171-ddr4-4000-mhz-performance/

First link shows about 15% difference, second is DDR4 which shows something similar (assuming the comparison would be 2133 vs 3000, I don't count super expensive DDR4-4000 as really meaningful here). Personally I wouldn't bother buying new DDR3 at this stage, but ymmv.

spootime

Definitely going to upgrade the GPU, and I'll look into the 1070/1080. 8700k? CPU you're referring to? Cheers for the response.

Yep, I'll change the GPU. As for the SSD, was thinking that needs an upgrade too. Thanks for the response mate.

In terms of the whole system, is it better off getting a whole new build? I'm happy to spend 1000+ but not go crazy with money.

8700k is Intel's new coffee lake 6-core coming out in ~October. If you're going to buy a CPU I would wait for it to release. As for whether its worth going for a whole new system... if you game at 144hz I would probably say its worth it. If not, then I wouldnt bother. But a 1070/1080 + 8700k build would be pretty expensive.

Renekton

First link shows about 15% difference, second is DDR4 which shows something similar (assuming the comparison would be 2133 vs 3000, I don't count super expensive DDR4-4000 as really meaningful here). Personally I wouldn't bother buying new DDR3 at this stage, but ymmv.
The scaling is still very telling. Anecdotically, the DDR3-1600 gives me lots of stutters and FPS drops when playing recent games. It is super important and should not be downplayed.

If he explicitly said he is getting into a DDR4 platform next year then by all means. But he just presented his build so I mentioned the two most impactful changes.

Top Bottom