• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Decisions, decisions.

I pre-ordered the iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black 128GB at midnight day 1 from T-Mobile. It ships 9/19 to 9/26 with expedited shipping.

$869 before tax is a lot of money.

I have an iPhone 5S to trade in that currently have a broken screen, which it'll take $69 to replace.

I could

1) Keep the phone for the next 2 years and trade in the iPhone 5S for $400 trade credit over 24 months. It's more like $330 because of screen repairs.

2) Return the iPhone 7+

3) Sell the 7+ for a higher price since it's Jet Black 7 Plus.

I got 3 weeks to return the 7+ Jet Black back to T-Mobile for a full refund from the date I get the phone.

I wish I also pre-ordered another phone which is a 7 32GB. I could use the $220.

Gazelle is practically beating you over the head, $2-300 for a phone that's barely a year old? They can kicks rocks.

True, it's definitely the lump sum option in a sense. I mostly go with them because I'm usually looking to get rid of the phone at fast as possible when the new one comes around and dealing with possible scammers on Ebay is such a massive turn off.

Last year I traded my 16gb Silver 6+ to Gazelle for $345. This year Gazelle is offering me $245 for a 64gb Rose Gold 6s+. Even a month ago they were only offering $265. I have a spare 5 so I was going to trade it in earlier to lock in a higher value, but Gazelle's prices have gone to shit.

Your best bet for the most money is eBay. The only reason why I didn't do eBay last year is because the Gazelle offer was close enough (within $50-$75) that I was happy with not having to deal with the chance of a fraudulent buyer. That's always a risk with eBay, but that's not limited to a phone purchase and eBay is pretty good with resolving disputes.

Looking at current prices for a second, my 64gb 6s+ would net me a minimum of $400 on eBay after fees and shipping. I'm not sure what phone you have but it's almost guaranteed eBay will give you the most.

I just priced my phone on NextWorth.com and they'll give me $344, so that's a much better option if you don't want to do eBay.

I'm gonna check this out. Hopefully I can get more without too much hassle.

So reserved an iUP Upgrade Tuesday night when the new stock got released for launch day, and i just got an email from Apple Support that they were able to find a model for me tomorrow to pick up, separate from the one I got. Also it's the wrong model

derder

Sept 27th for me.

I'm OK. Everything is OK

GIF_andrew_macias_ktla_cryer_3.gif

DOWN

Banned
I'm gonna road trip to my parents tomorrow morning and my dad says he'll be on phone watch shift until my shift takes over when I arrive. He'll have a note on the door telling the delivery guy to absolutely not leave under any circumstances without getting a signature for that phone

An-Det

What options do I have for repairing my iphone 6 to maximize resell value? Damn thing got a thin fracture on the left side at some point over the summer and I kept putting off dealing with it. The price difference would make even the old $99 repair (I assume just a swap) worth it, but I'm not sure on the process or applicability. Really wish I could use the apple care coming with the 7 to pay the $30 repair on the 6, would make it a lot simpler.

Alternatively, assuming I don't fix anything, Gazelle will give me $106 for it, what is the apple store baseline offer?

So reserved an iUP Upgrade Tuesday night when the new stock got released for launch day, and i just got an email from Apple Support that they were able to find a model for me tomorrow to pick up, separate from the one I got. Also it's the wrong model

Same, but they got the right model. Wrong store, but not too far off. I mean Apple planned this poorly from the start, but they've done a pretty decent job trying to fix their mistakes.

Ecto311

I'm gonna road trip to my parents tomorrow morning and my dad says he'll be on phone watch shift until my shift takes over when I arrive. He'll have a note on the door telling the delivery guy to absolutely not leave under any circumstances without getting a signature for that phone

Think he gives a shit about a note? he will be delivering tons of packages with little time to do it in I doubt he will wait more than he has to.

Same, but they got the right model. Wrong store, but not too far off. I mean Apple planned this poorly from the start, but they've done a pretty decent job trying to fix their mistakes.

I mean, if I hadn't already reserved the model I wanted I'd be pretty pissed they got it wrong

Decisions, decisions.

I pre-ordered the iPhone 7 Plus Jet Black 128GB at midnight day 1 from T-Mobile. It ships 9/19 to 9/26 with expedited shipping.

$869 before tax is a lot of money.

I have an iPhone 5S to trade in that currently have a broken screen, which it'll take $69 to replace.

I could

1) Keep the phone for the next 2 years and trade in the iPhone 5S for $400 trade credit over 24 months. It's more like $330 because of screen repairs.

2) Return the iPhone 7+

3) Sell the 7+ for a higher price since it's Jet Black 7 Plus.

I got 3 weeks to return the 7+ Jet Black back to T-Mobile for a full refund from the date I get the phone.

I wish I also pre-ordered another phone which is a 7 32GB. I could use the $220.

The 7+ is a huge upgrade from the 5s, but if money is tight, which it sounds like it is, then you shouldn't be spending any money, not even for a "cheaper" 7 32gb. So, I would sell the phone if you can make a profit and use that profit to pay for the screen repair on the 5s.

What options do I have for repairing my iphone 6 to maximize resell value? Damn thing got a thin fracture on the left side at some point over the summer and I kept putting off dealing with it. The price difference would make even the old $99 repair (I assume just a swap) worth it, but I'm not sure on the process or applicability. Really wish I could use the apple care coming with the 7 to pay the $30 repair on the 6, would make it a lot simpler.

Alternatively, assuming I don't fix anything, Gazelle will give me $106 for it, what is the apple store baseline offer?

Does it still work otherwise? Apple's online reseller site will give you $225 for it but that's if they determine the fracture doesn't affect the value. If it does they will give you $0 for it according to their basic estimator.

https://reuserecycle.abbti.brightstarcorp.com/Iphonehome.aspx

So yesterday, after trying to Pre-Order an iPhone 7+ through T-mobile JUMP, I found out that I was still being charged for a phone I turned in 10 months ago. That's $400 down the drain that they can't refund me. Also, according to their system I never returned the phone to a store. So I wasn't able to pre-order a 7+ because they now wanted me to pay off both my current phone and my past phone that they apparently never received.

Fast forward to today, I visited the store that I returned the original phone too. They completely re-staffed, so no one had any clue what I was talking about. They called customer care but they basically said too bad because the IMEI was never returned to their warehouse.

So now I placed a phone call one more time to try and pre-order because online it says my lease is completed and I'm eligible for an upgrade.and FINALLY I have met an understanding rep. She has convinced her supervisor to file a claim to their device department that will cancel out the rest of my EIP for the original phone. They are gonna give me a call back tomorrow to process the order.

What a hassle and money waste this ordeal has been. :/ Happy that someone finally listened to me.

Update: After this whole debacle, I am being refunded 7 months worth of payments on my bill and they cancelled my original phone's EIP finally. I also managed to order an iPhone 7+ 32GB in black. Unfortunately, the shipping estimate is sometime in November and there was nothing they could do. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out and that I'm being refunded.

Lender

i was hoping to get the 7+ 128gb in our store tomorrow, but we only got regular 7's delivered. Crap! Oh well, I'm off on vacation for a week on monday, so I'll survive another week.

ReAxion

Me sitting here on "Processing Items" for in-store pickup at 11AM tomorrow

I think it's going to stay that way until they have it in the store and available for pickup. Disclosing their internal shipping and inventory movement is not something I expect them to do.

Especially when you realize that this trade-in deal (if you can make it work) is basically a return to the standard 2 year contracts of old, where the carrier pays part or all of your phone, and if you cancel in under 2 years you have to pay a fee. They just use different vocabulary.

Sheesh, I was on the phone with T-Mobile for *3 hours* last night, spoke to 5 different people, because the first person I talked to (before the trade-in deal changed) had bogus problems with my bank account. The 5th person (European support!) said she'd have someone from American support call me back when they get in, and that of course never happened, so I had to call again this morning, and now I'm apparently going to get called back within 72 hours! It's been an ordeal, but I'm gonna get me a damn iPhone 7 with trade-in deal if it kills me (which it very well might, I only got 4 hours sleep last night).
I did some reading on Reddit, and apparently one guy was able to get the offer without having to change his Simple Plan. He contacted them via Twitter about how the representative he spoke to told him the promotion would last through the weekend and that he shouldn't be penalized for being given incorrect information. He did have to order the phones today, though, and he had to provide the IMEI of the phone he was trading in. You can try that. I would, but I'm currently in class right now, haha. I'll be giving it a try myself after, though.

Matte black 256 GB 7 Plus AT&T ordered through Apple finally is preparing to ship. First iPhone I won't have on launch day since the 3G. Rather upset honestly.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Last year I traded my 16gb Silver 6+ to Gazelle for $345. This year Gazelle is offering me $245 for a 64gb Rose Gold 6s+. Even a month ago they were only offering $265. I have a spare 5 so I was going to trade it in earlier to lock in a higher value, but Gazelle's prices have gone to shit.

Your best bet for the most money is eBay. The only reason why I didn't do eBay last year is because the Gazelle offer was close enough (within $50-$75) that I was happy with not having to deal with the chance of a fraudulent buyer. That's always a risk with eBay, but that's not limited to a phone purchase and eBay is pretty good with resolving disputes.

Looking at current prices for a second, my 64gb 6s+ would net me a minimum of $400 on eBay after fees and shipping. I'm not sure what phone you have but it's almost guaranteed eBay will give you the most.

I just priced my phone on NextWorth.com (similar to Gazelle) and they'll give me $344, so that's a much better option if you don't want to do eBay.

This.

I just printed out my shipping label for NextWorth.com they're giving me $274 for an unlocked 6S Plus 16GB, with some cosmetics damage (I don't use cases). I'll drop it off to UPS tomorrow after I receive my iPhone 7. Way better than dealing with Ebay.

-d0hv

Think I'm gonna try with Swappa. I checked out Glyde but they want 60 dollars as a sale fee and they won't let me list the phone as the unlocked version.

nullref

Anyone have shipping updates from AT&T? They list that my mom's iPhone 7 shipped out two days ago, but every time I go to the site it still says "Shipping information unavailable". Getting worried it isn't arriving on time like they said it would.

Yeah, I got a shipping notice on the 13th. Scheduled for delivery tomorrow, according to FedEx tracking.

SFenton

My Verizon shipment (was originally for the 1 week of October)

2:40 pm Departed FedEx location MEMPHIS, TN

!

That's awesome! My Verizon order is saying 10/12 for ship. Not that I now expect it to ship super early like yours, but it could mean I'd get it earlier than expected. What model did you get?

Airpods will work with non-iPhones, you just don't get any of the fancy syncing stuff, have to sync it like regular peasant bluetooth headphones

Are there any kind music control buttons on them? My wired earpods don't play nice with my Xperia Z3. Volume control and the skip button don't work.

Out 1

closest T-Mobile store opens tomorrow at 8, two hours earlier than usual. I wonder how much earlier should I come? I'm thinking around 7-7.30 since I'm mostly doing this to satiate my curiosity.

AkumaNiko

Curious what makes you so confident. Not calling you wrong.

I saw the same thing, sort of. 2 years ago no verizon stores near me got the 6+, best buy was spotty and i got lucky with apple because someone canceled their reservation.

This year, i have two +'s reserved, one to own, and 1 to flip if i feel like it

Mine has arrived and it's a beautiful thing. The black is actually black, not some kind of dark grey like it appears in some of the reviews. If anything it's just missing a tiny bit of cyan/blue (unlike the iPhone 5 which had that purple vibe).

H4aTbdk.jpg

Matticers

So I have an iPhone 6S Plus that I was thinking about selling on ebay after picking up the iPhone 7. But the best value for it would be to trade it in to AT&T instead for that $650 price, right? I figure some people here are more knowledgeable about this sort of thing than me.

Rootbeer

Banned
Mine has arrived and it's a beautiful thing. The black is actually black, not some kind of dark grey like it appears in some of the reviews. If anything it's just missing a tiny bit of cyan/blue (unlike the iPhone 5 which had that purple vibe).
Of course you got yours early. One of this year's GAF Gold perks.

H4aTbdk.jpg

Can you shoot some RAW photos with it and upload them somewhere?

Top Bottom