• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June UltraViolent Wrasslin' |OT| This is Small Potatoes!

067_RAW_11031998_0010-2196959794.jpg

Vinny Ru and shaq

First six Inspire Pro matchups for June 21st, Austin, TX announced...

Inspire Pro Heavyweight Champ Dirty Andy Dalton continues to tear it up in Inspire Pro as the best heel in the Southwestern USA. This run on top as Inspire Pro's most hated heel has been art. Just amazing heat. Like a room full of "smart"wrestling hipsters in Austin, TX suddenly losing their minds and turning into a bunch of mid-1970s old ladies in the front row in Memphis or the Omni kinda heat. I can't even describe it.

Current J-Crown champ, (and arguably Inspire Pro's top babyface,) Steve O Reno jumped ahead of Ricky Starks (who earned a #1 Contender's spot this week) by cashing in the "Fungressional Medal of Honor" he won at the FunFunFunFest, after Dalton insulted the J-Crown title he holds.

After a year-long tournament to decide the finals for the XX Division Championship, "The Wrestling Goddess" Athena, Jessica James and Delilah Doom were supposed to square off...but a crazed Angelus Layne hit the ring when Delilah made her entrance, smashing The New Movement's Chris Trew, and then separating poor Delilah's shoulder with malicious intent.
Doom was in tears saying "this was my CHANCE!" as she was carried to the back.

Not too long later, a lawyer arrived in the ring, served Inspire Pro with an injunction of some sort, and out popped Veda Scott...who insisted that the timing was all a coincidence, but Inspire Pro could be absolved of all their legal woes from her injury to the Barbi Hayden referee bribery scandal, if she was inserted into the finals of the tournament. This led to her taking advantage of a moment in the three-way match, and winning the inaugural XX Division title.

As fans of women's wrestling know, when there's injustice in the air, you don't have to look far to find Leva Bates, fighting against it. So she's back. Which makes sense too in that she was also a victim of what we now know was Barbi Hayden's bribery scandal.

Do I really have to explain this one? Nah. Two hosses smashing and bashing. Clash of the fucking titans shit here, bros.

Angelus Layne vs. Delilah Doom is sooo hot right now. Angelus is the perfect heel vs. Doom. This may well be my favorite female program in all of wrestling right now, after this week's events. At least right up there with Sasha Banks and Becky Lynch. Maybe not in workrate, but certainly in drama and heat.

Jessica James and Vanessa Kraven had a great match in the past too, which Jessica came on the short end of, so I'm sure Jessica wants to get that win. Angelus Layne with Vanessa Craven in a tag team/stable at Inspire Pro could be the ultimate heel stable in women's pro wrestling if they want to be.

Athena vs. Franco will be nuts. Athena is pissed at Franco, her real-life boyfriend "The Centerfold" Matthew Palmer's ex-tag partner, for throwing in the towel for Palmer vs. Dirty Andy Dalton in March, with the stip that Palmer had to leave Inspire Pro if he lost.

Franco got into a heated argument with Athena this week, and implied that Athena had ridden her boyfriend's coattails into the wrestling business, which is of course ridiculous, and led to Athena wanting this fight.

Nice to see Inspire Pro continuing to get some Lucha Underground guys in with El Mariachi Loco debuting. Ricochet was a big hit on Sunday, vs. Jiggle-O James Johnson, Steve O Reno, and Donovan Danhausen, in an insane one fall scramble.

This is already a helluva card. There will probably be three more matches, if past cards are the norm.

I'd expect the return of Donovan Danhausen in one of those matches, as the fans took to him immediately, and he's already indicated on social media he's ready to return. He debuted Sunday and made an great impression.

I'd also expect a Pure Prestige Title match. Pure Prestige champion Keith Lee is just amazing and on a roll. He made a hell of an impression at ROH last week, so I hope you guys will see him more worldwide too. As the new cornerstone of The New Movement, Lee is in basically a perfect place in Inspire Pro.

I also hope to see another tag match or two to set up the eventual Tag Team Championship that's brewing. At Sunday's show, Erik Shadows and Matt Riot defeated the Pump Patrol and Shadows cut a very impressive babyface promo talking about Tag Titles, so that seems like an eventuality...and I like the team of Shadows and Riot to pull off the win, if that happens, too.

Honestly, Inspire Pro would be best served if they could run two shows a month. Too much good talent now, and the fans are so hungry to see everyone. But I know how hard that would be production-wise so I don't see that in the cards anytime soon. Oh well, better to "leave the fans wanting more..." I guess.

Heroman

Banned
WrassleGAF Discussion Time

Is Wade Barrett's lack of a significant/meaningful career the biggest failure of WWE Creative ever?
wade has never made me go wow this dude is a main eventer, the biggest failure for me is Titus O'Neil he is a completed package.

Entropia

No One Remembers
wade has never made me go wow this dude is a main eventer, the biggest failure for me is Titus O'Neil he is a completed package.

Great dads get no love.

I fucking love Titus. His in ring work needs a bit of tuning though. Great powerhouse but sometimes he looks lost in the ring. Send him to NXT for a few months. Get him to feud with Finn, Zayn, and Owens to refine it and bring him back up.

That being said I do not want the PTP broke up. I marked hard when Titus came to save Darren and they re-united.

Kaladin

Titus was awkward kind of in his NXT mini run. I felt like he'd need a lot of work to be a successful mid card solo heel.

First six Inspire Pro matchups for June 21st, Austin, TX announced...

This is already a helluva card. There will probably be three more matches, if past cards are the norm.

Great line-up, Rowe vs Hoyt should be a war - Rowe's got such great energy, dude's a monster. Liked what you said about Dalton's heat, he's impressed me more and more each time I see him. You see guys who wrestle like they're an old-school heel, but they don't really get it like Dalton seems to. Many of them use heel tactics like high-spots, then mug to the crowd for a reaction, but with Dalton it feels much more effortless.

Incidentally, loved the Jaws-style poster for the event. Inspire Pro really do kill it with their graphics.

klonere

Banned
Sycho Sid is AMAZING in 1996. The man can do no wrong. Easily the loudest pops wherever they go. Brutal Big Boots, Crisp Chokeslams, Punishing Powerbombs. His promos are done flawlessly. Even a great bit of stunt driving the week after his debut.

This is the same guy who I never wanted to see again after his dreadful matches and awful promos in 1995.

96 Sid is amazing. He's the epitome of what Vince wants in a top guy, incredible look, magnetic physical charisma, solid in character promo and can execute his moveset cleanly.

He'd have been mega over as a badass babyface imo.

JavyOO7

Just seeing MSG cheer Sid so happily in his Survivor Series match against HBK warms my heart. Fist bumps for everybody!

Heroman

Banned
I fucking love Titus. His in ring work needs a bit of tuning though. Great powerhouse but sometimes he looks lost in the ring. Send him to NXT for a few months. Get him to feud with Finn, Zayn, and Owens to refine it and bring him back up.

That being said I do not want the PTP broke up. I marked hard when Titus came to save Darren and they re-united.
I think he alright in the ring right now, see him go ham on the new day at EC was hype.

klonere

Banned

Titus was awkward kind of in his NXT mini run. I felt like he'd need a lot of work to be a successful mid card solo heel.

I love Titus but where he's at right now is where he's best; can do huge hot tags, throw people around and cut great promos. I don't want him as a heel or face solo dude, he's made for tag wrestling. If WWE can capitalize on this mini resurgance in the tag division he should have no problem sticking around the top in that.

There really should be two tag feuds going on right now, Lucha Dragons and Kiddsaro NEED to have a series.

Current PTP theme is so high up there in current WWE themes though

Kaladin

Legit question here:

If CM Punk was what Vince wanted out of a top guy in the indie darling era, is Seth Rollins the next best thing?

When you think about it, you could put Punk in Seth's current role and it's interchangeable.

When I'm watching Seth, I feel like he's got the same set of skills Punk brought to the table....or at least very close to it.

Seth is missing the promo factor for me, Punk was the kind of guy who could grab my attention when speaking even when feuding with Curtis Axel.
Rollin's promos to me are like those of your standard midcard heel, while he's strong in a number of areas I think he's still missing a spark in this department so I can't see him on the level of Punk yet myself.

Kaladin

Seth is missing the promo factor for me, Punk was the kind of guy who could grab my attention when speaking even when feuding with Curtis Axel.
Rollin's promos to me are like those of your standard midcard heel, while he's strong in a number of areas I think he's still missing a spark in this department so I can't see him on the level of Punk yet myself.

I think that's part of where he's at too.

Not much you can do with the "cocky heel that hides behind security while acting like a bitch" gimmick, but he owns it though.

I will be curious to see how he evolves after this run as The Authority's chosen one.

Great line-up, Rowe vs Hoyt should be a war - Rowe's got such great energy, dude's a monster.

Definitely agree on Rowe. He's got that Arn Anderson kinda physical badass thing going on. My only knock on him in Inspire was that he hadn't shown enough personality up to this point, even though whenever he'd scratch the surface and let the fans in, it'd get a huge pop.

At Sunday's show, during his match with Ricky Starks, he had a great moment where they went through the opening doing a bunch of holds and escapes and shit, then Rowe suddenly stopped, turned to the crowd, and loudly proclaimed "The technical wrestling segment of this match is NOW CONCLUDED!"

...and it was on.

Both guys are pretty incredible. Hoyt cannot possibly get enough credit for what he's done at Inspire. Because of his Japanese commitments, he's stayed in a supporting role, but if there was a "best supporting character" award in wrestling as there is in the Oscars, he'd get my vote. He's turned a fluke feud with the ring announcer into gold, for goodness sake... Also, he's a real leader backstage. Anybody will tell you that.

Hpyt did some really good mic work with the crowd at Sunday's show too. Getting heat for his back tattoo, he turned it on a fan telling him "It's a CHAMP stamp!"

Liked what you said about Dalton's heat, he's impressed me more and more each time I see him. You see guys who wrestle like they're an old-school heel, but they don't really get it like Dalton seems to. Many of them use heel tactics like high-spots, then mug to the crowd for a reaction, but with Dalton it feels much more effortless.

He's got an encyclopedic knowledge of heel tactics, and uses them reflexively and effortlessly. That's amazing to watch. But what's really incredible is that you can be a "smart" fan, who usually appreciates "good heel work" to the point where you don't really hate the guy...and he still gets you to absolutely lose yourself in the moment and hate the sonofabitch.

Incidentally, loved the Jaws-style poster for the event. Inspire Pro really do kill it with their graphics.

Yeah. That's a new thing I think. I can't wait for the Mondocon/Inspire Pro thing to happen this fall. It's not only going to be an incredible show, but if you've ever seen the art posters Mondo dose for the movies, you'll know what they are capable of. I think we're going to see some truly epic, truly collectable T-shirts and posters for that event.

styl3s

ROH debuts tonight, right? Went to see if i had Destination America but apparently i have to spend $10 more to unlock the package that has this prestigious channel.

He's got an encyclopedic knowledge of heel tactics, and uses them reflexively and effortlessly. That's amazing to watch. But what's really incredible is that you can be a "smart" fan, who usually appreciates "good heel work" to the point where you don't really hate the guy...and he still gets you to absolutely lose yourself in the moment and hate the sonofabitch.

It can often be troublesome for a heel to be truly hated with a smart crowd, but I love it when you get a guy like Dalton who manages to make you forget all that crap and just be a wrestling fan. We've got a few guys like that over here, Jimmy Havoc namely - he's made hating him sort of an event, becoming the guy everyone loves to hate. Comparatively, Mark Haskins is a solid heel, but he's so good in the ring that without a compelling story behind him the crowd sometimes forget he's the bad guy.

Yeah, what motivation! If only WWE could employ Cornette to be an ignorant, out-of-touch old man who's entirely wrong about everything, then perhaps more young Superstars might find the drive to make a success of themselves.

Bootaaay, did you watched last week Evolve shows?

Continuing my trek through WCW, I finally reached the famous Bash at the Beach 96.

Am I the only one who doesn't find Bobby Heenan's "But whose side is he on?!?" a botch? In character, Heenan never liked Hogan, or trusted him. In fact, Heenan always said things that, in hindsight, were true about Hogan (he was selfish, he was a cheater) and always knew that in his heart he was a bad guy and thought that he could be the third man. So yeah, it was totally in character for him, and I don't know why it's made fun of so much.

Kaladin

Continuing my trek through WCW, I finally reached the famous Bash at the Beach 96.

Am I the only one who doesn't find Bobby Heenan's "But whose side is he on?!?" a botch? In character, Heenan never liked Hogan, or trusted him. In fact, Heenan always said things that, in hindsight, were true about Hogan (he was selfish, he was a cheater) and always knew that in his heart he was a bad guy and thought that he could be the third man. So yeah, it was totally in character for him, and I don't know why it's made fun of so much.

No, you're not alone.

I think a lot of the people that hate on it though probably watch it out of context and out of context it can seem like a botch or out of place.

klonere

Banned
Tyler has a cape! And we have new ring announcer as well. Jojo got that Owens push.

Rose isn't so into his entrance and no Rosebuds....Kruger soon?

Oh and a we want Kruger chant, with a matching "No we don't"

Barrage

I liked Rose's story in the E:60 special as much as anyone.But man,Rose is just not good. He is the definition of white bread.

Top Bottom