• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

I hope by the end of season 1. Every character gets another special /shadow move. Also it is cool that Sadira is a dominant air character it would be nice if every character could do a decent air combo. I really just want thunder to have an air throw though.

.la1n

I'd like a confirmation by DH and Microsoft on Season 2 before I speculate on it. I would hope they address returning characters before jumping into new ones but this is the same team that gave us a new character in the first season instead of a returning classic. Stream was fun to watch, Rich showing some great things with Glacius.

I am still not convinced on the long term viability of a console exclusive fighter with a small roster. Microsoft and DH have a lot of work ahead of themselves if they want to keep KI relevant in the FGC. Looking at what Neatherrealm has done with MK9 and Injustice as a guide.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I hope by the end of season 1. Every character gets another special /shadow move. Also it is cool that Sadira is a dominant air character it would be nice if every character could do a decent air combo. I really just want thunder to have an air throw though.

Wouldn't expect any of that at all, to be honest. Adding more moves now would just mean future characters would ALSO need more moves. Which would continue to make things harder to balance.

Everyone has decent "On aerial opponent" juggles already, and adding more air-to-air combos would just make her less unique, and weaken the game of any air-based characters going forward.

At this point, all I'd really like to see for Thunder is for "Call of the Earth" to get some combo use from weak and medium versions. Or maybe they could give his throw linker a heavy version, so it wouldn't be so obvious to break once people know to look out for it?

Mdk7

Sadira (already taken by someone)

Sadira_Icon_zps1572ffc2.jpg

And Jago

Jago_Icon_zps97860095.jpg

(Shadow Jago coming as well soon!)

Wouldn't expect any of that at all, to be honest. Adding more moves now would just mean future characters would ALSO need more moves. Which would continue to make things harder to balance.

Everyone has decent "On aerial opponent" juggles already, and adding more air-to-air combos would just make her less unique, and weaken the game of any air-based characters going forward.

At this point, all I'd really like to see for Thunder is for "Call of the Earth" to get some combo use from weak and medium versions. Or maybe they could give his throw linker a heavy version, so it wouldn't be so obvious to break once people know to look out for it?
Outside of Sadira and Orchid and to an extent Thunder I don't agree. Everyone should have an air throw at least because that just makes sense. I'm not looking for marvel type combos, but I always liked attacking from the air to the ground back to the air.

I understand trying to keep things balance, but more options are always better.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Great again Mdk7!

Outside of Sadira and Orchid and to an extent Thunder I don't agree. Everyone should have an air throw at least because that just makes sense. I'm not looking for marvel type combos, but I always liked attacking from the air to the ground back to the air.

I understand trying to keep things balance, but more options are always better.

Why should everyone have air throws? Save for Marvel and ASW games, they're normally very rare in fighters. Why should KI, a game that barely had throws before, suddenly give air thorws to everyone? (Note: I am excited to see how the next grappler character turns out...)

Air-to-Air is an unbreakable state with no enders. Sadira once had an air shadow ender, but they thought it too strong, and removed it. They want to limit air-to-air stuff overall, and even giving it to Sadira caused some panic. The reasoning to why she can have it is because her ground game is so weak, in comparison.

Options for this game, so far, are going to come in characters, not in huge movelist for a character. This is probably good for actually "reacting" in this game, rather than "guessing", since you'll have so many rhythms and timings to learn.

I definitely wouldn't hate it if it happened (Especially since they'd probably all be unique), but this really doesn't seem like a direction they have any interest in chasing after, while listening to the Q&A on their forums.

Great again Mdk7!

Why should everyone have air throws? Save for Marvel and ASW games, they're normally very rare in fighters. Why should KI, a game that barely had throws before, suddenly give air thorws to everyone? (Note: I am excited to see how the next grappler character turns out...)

Air-to-Air is an unbreakable state with no enders. Sadira once had an air shadow ender, but they thought it too strong, and removed it. They want to limit air-to-air stuff overall, and even giving it to Sadira caused some panic. The reasoning to why she can have it is because her ground game is so weak, in comparison.

Options for this game, so far, are going to come in characters, not in huge movelist for a character. This is probably good for actually "reacting" in this game, rather than "guessing", since you'll have so many rhythms and timings to learn.

I definitely wouldn't hate it if it happened (Especially since they'd probably all be unique), but this really doesn't seem like a direction they have any interest in chasing after, while listening to the Q&A on their forums.
That is just a personal preference. Also just another threat. I just believe there should be one because i doubt Sadira will be the only aerial character. Need more options to take care of these characters.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So hyped for this game. Don't know which character I will use first though, can't wait till friday!

*Looks at Swanky new Jago Avatar* I think the answer is right under your nose! ;^)

That is just a personal preference. Also just another threat. I just believe there should be one because i doubt Sadira will be the only aerial character. Need more options to take care of these characters.

*Nod* Air control will probably come through strong air-to-air normal choices, anti-air DPs and normals. People might have lost their Fireballs, but EVERYONE in this game has some form of DP, lol.

Characters always have to ground themselves to do real damage, and at that point, the metagame of counters and combos is pretty much the same. If they keep air to ground enders out the game, and avoid something stupid like flight-mode loops, I think we'll be ok.

.la1n

Cinder needs to be an air dash character. It just makes too much sense.

What if they make Fulgore a grappler?

*Looks at Swanky new Jago Avatar* I think the answer is right under your nose! ;^)

*Nod* Air control will probably come through strong air-to-air normal choices, anti-air DPs and normals. People might have lost their Fireballs, but EVERYONE in this game has some form of DP, lol.

Characters always have to ground themselves to do real damage, and at that point, the metagame of counters and combos is pretty much the same. If they keep air to ground enders out the game, and avoid something stupid like flight-mode loops, I think we'll be ok.
It is the reason I hope after season 1 at least another move is added because they will have more characters and in trying to balance it may need to give some characters another option.

eshwaaz

Every time I watch new footage, I'm always amazed that the inky smoke left behind by shadow moves is actually affected by the characters moving through it afterwards. Such a great-looking effect.

Blu10

So have they shown the lobbies yet? I'm assuming there will be the standard player and rand ranked matches. Can you watch games in a lobby, and how is the ranked matchmaking set up.

Mdk7

Posting this for the OT:
Coming up with neogaf-vetted arcade stick artwork for those grabbing the TE2. I want some final thoughts on peoples preferred design.

I mocked up a crude model of the arcade stick to get an idea what these designs might look like (because, well, I don't have one to actually try the template out on!). They are arranged below. I realize the proportions are probably off, I eyeballed it and whipped up a frame, joystick, and buttons as quickly as I could :p

For those of you deciding to take the plunge with the arcade stick, I'm considering doing a new design every time a new character drops.

Okay, so here are some mockups:

One of the two more 'minimalist' design. Wanted some blood splatter, but not overdone.

The second more minimalistic design, I called this the 'tech' one. wanted to go for something simpler, more understated. Room for more logos if anyone has the burning desire.

More traditional fare. Based on some official renders. Before doing character art, though, I'd like to get my hands on some actual promotional materials. Some high res stuff I can use as a basis to create something cool.

And lastly, the blank, distressed steel version of the above.

Sick job m0dus!
I like the first and the last better, but they are all super slick!

BTW I will be posting mine as well soon, of course made in the style of those avatars/posters i'm making.

(two old WIP previews here)
KI_arcade2_zps57b557f1.jpg~original

KI_arcade1_zps0683bd55.jpg~original

DrDogg

So the review embargo for this is up on Monday at 6am but according from Jeff Gerstmann there are some ongoing technical issues that are preventing him from finishing his review.

I am guessing that it is XBL being down for online play. It will be interesting to see reviews from other outlets if this is the case. Jeff was pretty adamant about not reviewing Killzone until he could play a good amount of multiplayer on the live servers while all the other sites published reviews after playing a few rounds at the review event.

Um... I'm ranked number one on the leaderboards at the moment on XBL and logged in probably 70 online matches thus far. I've also had no technical issues with the game or hardware, so I assume it has to do with something else, or something that's specific to his unit/game.

Cindor, Riptor, T.J. Combo and Kim Wu...make it happen!!!

Tusk would like a word with you...

Anyone hear of a rumor that Season 2 will have 4 newcomers and 4 returning characters?

This would be a terrible, terrible thing. In a franchise that only has 13 characters (sans boss characters), there's absolutely no reason we should have to wait upwards of 3 years (seasons) to get all of the original cast.

If DH sticks to the 8 characters per season they did the first time around, that leaves room for 3 new characters by the end of season 2. That's more than enough new blood for the first two seasons and you get the entire original cast.

any words on the TE stick? because there is no way I'm gonna play KI with Dpad.

MarkMan posted on the DH forums that sticks will start shipping Monday, but that not everyone would get their sticks by Friday. As of yesterday, there was no word on third party retailers, but some GameStop locations are listing the stick being available 11/23. My closest GameStop has no date, and the site still shows 12/13.

I am still not convinced on the long term viability of a console exclusive fighter with a small roster. Microsoft and DH have a lot of work ahead of themselves if they want to keep KI relevant in the FGC. Looking at what Neatherrealm has done with MK9 and Injustice as a guide.

Honestly, as long as the game is in Evo 2014, DH doesn't have to do much work other than getting us season 2. An Evo birth will be enough to keep the interest alive well into the second season.

Silky

Banned
So have they shown the lobbies yet? I'm assuming there will be the standard player and rand ranked matches. Can you watch games in a lobby, and how is the ranked matchmaking set up.

The upcoming week will be the online breakdown.

Um... I'm ranked number one on the leaderboards at the moment on XBL and logged in probably 70 online matches thus far. I've also had no technical issues with the game or hardware, so I assume it has to do with something else, or something that's specific to his unit/game.

oshit, dogg puttin in work

abracadaver

Is there footage of killer instinct 1 arcade ?

does it have online play ?
what about achievements ? part of KI or another 1000 points ?

DrDogg even though I expect you to be under a NDA I can safely assume the online is good. That is great to hear. Also who are you maining for the time being?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Is there footage of killer instinct 1 arcade ?

does it have online play ?
what about achievements ? part of KI or another 1000 points ?

no online play, may/likely will be introduced later

yes it has achievements, no idea if separated though

footage is somewhere on twitch.tv/microsoftstudios from 2 weeks ago

ChrisV

So, I'm definitely getting this at launch. I figured out my funds, and I might not have enough for the $40 version. Can you get the $20 version and then pay another $20 for the other stuff?

RoKKeR

So, I never, EVER play fighters but I'm looking forward to trying this out come launch this week. My friend and I are probably just going to fight each other online and I doubt I'll get too serious w/the game, but is there a training mode or tutorial for complete noobs in this game?

Kydd BlaZe

For those of us that are getting the game for free from Microsoft (regarding the email that was sent out last week), has it been confirmed which version it'll be? The $20 or $40 version?

So, I never, EVER play fighters but I'm looking forward to trying this out come launch this week. My friend and I are probably just going to fight each other online and I doubt I'll get too serious w/the game, but is there a training mode or tutorial for complete noobs in this game?

Training mode looks phenomenal, it covers basics for most fighting games as well as the mechanics specific to KI

DrDogg

DrDogg even though I expect you to be under a NDA I can safely assume the online is good. That is great to hear. Also who are you maining for the time being?

DrDogg, using the language of interpretive dance, how good is the netcode?

The original embargo was Tuesday night, but it looks like it's now tomorrow morning. My review will be on USgamer tomorrow, and once the embargo lifts I can answer any questions. For now, I can't say much.

So, I'm definitely getting this at launch. I figured out my funds, and I might not have enough for the $40 version. Can you get the $20 version and then pay another $20 for the other stuff?

Yes, you can buy in pieces instead of all at once.

Kydd BlaZe

Man, I'm not even into fighters like I used to be (was a HUGE Mortal Kombat fan, before it went 3D with MK4. And I dabbled in a little bit of Killer Instinct on Gameboy and on N64), but this game looks BOSS. All of the footage that I've seen so far is straight up mesmerizing, and I LOVE the friggin overly enthusiastic announcer! Lol

Can't wait to play this on Friday!

The original embargo was Tuesday night, but it looks like it's now tomorrow morning. My review will be on USgamer tomorrow, and once the embargo lifts I can answer any questions. For now, I can't say much.

Yes, you can buy in pieces instead of all at once.
Who you using is under embargo too?

Cindor, Riptor, T.J. Combo and Kim Wu...make it happen!!!

These are the exact people I would say become the 4 returning. :p

Sadira is done, avatar coming soon. :D
I'm also already on Jago, i'll post a preview soon.

Schermata2013-11-17a134401_zps0271a4c7.png

Omigash. Its amazing. *O*

This pleases me if it means Tusk doesn't have to come back. Fuuuuuck Tusk, man.

So....Combo, Cinder, Maya, Wu

Riptor :c

Honestly can not see that happening. I think the original 10 will make it back, sure. That leaves 5 slots for KI2 and newcomers.
Well...2 newcomers and everyone from KI2 returns. No biggie

Honestly, Riptor would not be left out like that. Haha. Although I do look forward to more new characters to expand Killer Instinct. Which is going to be great!

The vampire is among us. Lol. Along with a new Beast/Animal character.

Supposedly they want to have 30 characters in the final roster.

I sure as hell hope so!

Next 4 characters I want
need
for season 2..

TJ FUCKING Combo
Cinder
Eagle
Kim Wu (re-imagined she could be amazing)

Tusk maybe but not sure how he'd fit, then again the games story isnt exactly logical. Maya is terrible and I give no fucks about Riptor.

Tusk is actually who I look forward to in a redesign. And Kim Wu is one my favorites. I'm actually very fond of the idea that she becomes a modern Kim Wu, the decendent of the Late Kim Wu.

DrDogg

Who you using is under embargo too?

Launch tournaments! :p

My current main is Sabrewulf, but it will probably switch to Spinal when he's released. I'm competent with everyone except Sadira and Glacius at the moment, but that will likely change once I get my stick order. This is definitely a game in which you can be good with everyone (at least while the roster remains small).

zainetor

Banned

My current main is Sabrewulf, but it will probably switch to Spinal when he's released. I'm competent with everyone except Sadira and Glacius at the moment, but that will likely change once I get my stick order. This is definitely a game in which you can be good with everyone (at least while the roster remains small).

probably thanks to the auto-double nature of the combos. If you had to input manuals for everybody, like in SF, I doubt it would be possible to do such a thing.

Yeah I feel Sadira will benefit more from a stick.

Top Bottom