• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

I wager that the ultimates and no mercy moves will just be fancy looking animations much like shadow jago or comedic like some of the stuff in old KI

The game was already rated T, so I wouldn't expect anything crazy otherwise is just makes things annoying across seasons... Pushing it could force a 're-rating as it's one executable and just imagine the disaster that would cause.

Then there's the issue with parents and second season being vastly more inappropriate to children... Something a parent would be pissed at if they blind buy.

Yeah, most likely, but i'm hoping they add some true finishers to the cast. They could push a hard T-rating. Just as MK vs DC did, but of course they'd be wait better. It could just be clean cut stuff, kind of like Darkstalkers.

I remember DH saying in the early stages that Jago had a No Mercy/Ultimate, which the opponent got cut in half. That move was given to Shadow Jago, but there was no blood and the opponent wasn't cut in half. I just wonder if it'll come back as that.

I guess we will just have to wait and see, but I can't wait for the tons of news that'll be coming soon. Surely a lot of questions will be answered. ^^

.la1n

What are you guys expecting once they show something for EVO?

Not much to be quite honest. I tend to keep expectations pretty low with this game now that we are through the first season. Probably smart to assume more talking about the upcoming season than actual playable content. To be fair the team hasn't been working on the game for very long, what they have been able to accomplish so far in the little time they've been given is something to be commended.

fARzvco.png

...but will it be streamed?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
revealS?

or am i reading too much into it

Bare minimum 1 character.

Assuming they are showing off new mechanics (both fighting and enders), possibly new moves for older characters and what new modes they are planning... on the outset possibly mick gordon return and OST

There could be more than one character reveal, though. At evo we learned of the 4th launch character and right now we really know one and have a pretty good idea who the 2nd is.

Skab

Nuuu! Riptor! Our new character will be Vampire! :D please ;-;

Well, we know there will be 8 characters for season 2. That is a confirmed fact.

Remaining returning characters are Cinder and Riptor from KI1, and Maya, Kim, and Tusk from KI2. That's five. Aria may be playable, so that's 6. (Eyedol and Gargos are not coming back. I believe this was confirmed during one of the streams. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

That leaves two slots for Mollusca and the vampire!

Well, we know there will be 8 characters for season 2. That is a confirmed fact.

Remaining returning characters are Cinder and Riptor from KI1, and Maya, Kim, and Tusk from KI2. That's five. Aria may be playable, so that's 6. (Eyedol and Gargos are not coming back. I believe this was confirmed during one of the streams. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

That leaves two slots for Mollusca and the vampire!

You forgot TJ Combo. :c

They did say that ARIA would be playable, I do look forward to that, but I hope that silhouette is not something to be followed. Hah.

And you are correct, Eyedol and Gargos will not be playable.

Skab

You forgot TJ Combo. :c

They did say that ARIA would be playable, I do look forward to that, but I hope that silhouette is not something to be followed. Hah.

And you are correct, Eyedol and Gargos will not be playable.

Whoops. Durr me.

I'm actually wondering if they will bring back all of the other five though. Maybe save someone for season 3 just in case?

Whoops. Durr me.

I'm actually wondering if they will bring back all of the other five though. Maybe save someone for season 3 just in case?

That's what has me the most curious, how will Season 3 of Killer Instinct play out. Will we have a bunch of new characters added in? Save some veterans for it? Adding a guest character of some sort.

I really just want to see the future of Killer Instinct with a bunch of new characters. I'd be perfectly satisfied with 25 characters. Shadow Jago still needs his own moves. XP

That's what has me the most curious, how will Season 3 of Killer Instinct play out. Will we have a bunch of new characters added in? Save some veterans for it? Adding a guest character of some sort.

I really just want to see the future of Killer Instinct with a bunch of new characters. I'd be perfectly satisfied with 25 characters. Shadow Jago still needs his own moves. XP

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that an interview they did with someone at IG lead them to believe they'll save a number of OG characters for Season 3. That would kind of suck, but it makes sense from a business POV.

Skab

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that an interview they did with someone at IG lead them to believe they'll save a number of OG characters for Season 3. That would kind of suck, but it makes sense from a business POV.

KI1 guys for season 2, KI 2 guys for season 3 maybe? Splits the remaining six evenly.

Nuuu. I can't have that.. :c I need to see Riptor already, along with my favorite KI2 character.. Kim Wu! I mean I have no doubts on a Season 3, i'm pretty positive that it'll come in the future.

KI1 guys for season 2, KI 2 guys for season 3 maybe? Splits the remaining six evenly.

B-But.. Kim Wu. :(

I think it will be a mix. Obviously TJ, then Cinder seems like a lock, then one of the girls from KI2 to get another returning female, then the rest new characters including Aria. MAYBE Tusk in there. That would unfortunately keep Riptor for S3, but with TJ and Cinder pretty much on lock for S2, I don't think anyone else would have the draw they'd be looking for to get get people hyped for S3. I hope I'm wrong though lol.

DrDogg

Unfortunately, I think I'm going to pass on Evo this year. I'm a little under the weather from Anime Expo last weekend, and I haven't touched KI in months aside from E3. Plus, I want to play as Combo and he's not tournament legal yet.

Hopefully Max and other media outlets get good coverage of the panel. Well, I know Max will, so we're good.

That was me. They basically confirmed without confirming that we won't see all of the KI1/2 characters by the end of season 2. Since the KI2 characters aren't nearly as marketable as the KI1 characters, and we already have Combo and presumably Cinder confirmed, I think it's all but guaranteed that Riptor is season 3.

The only way I see this not happening is if IG and MS think the season 2 characters are marketable enough to draw people to season 3 (Tusk maybe?). Otherwise... maybe that reveal at the end of Combo's trailer was actually a new character. We don't know for sure it was Cinder. Yes, it's highly unlikely it was anyone else, but at the moment, it *could* be a new character.

At the moment I suspect season 2 and 3 will look something like this:

Season 2
- Combo
- Cinder
- Tusk
- Kim Wu
- Aria
- New Character
- New Character
- New Character

Season 3
- Riptor
- Maya
- New Boss Character
- New Character
- New Character
- New Character
- New Character
- New Character

Ont

At the moment I suspect season 2 and 3 will look something like this:

Season 2
- Combo
- Cinder
- Tusk
- Kim Wu
- Aria
- New Character
- New Character
- New Character

Season 3
- Riptor
- Maya
- New Boss Character
- New Character
- New Character
- New Character
- New Character
- New Character

I think Riptor is still locked for Season 2, whereas Season 3 will give the developers a chance to go crazy with completely new characters. There are not many interesting KI characters left for Season 2 anyway, which is why not having Riptor there does not make much sense.

The roster for Season 1 was clearly dictated by budget and time constraints. The only marketing concern they have now is which old characters the fans still want to see being added to this game.

For me Season 3 with only new characters is quite exciting thought, and it certainly will not require any returning KI/KI2 characters to become successful. It might be that they will save one of the KI2 characters for Season 3, but who knows.

DrDogg

I think Riptor is still locked for Season 2, whereas Season 3 will give the developers a chance to go crazy with completely new characters. There are not many interesting KI characters left for Season 2 anyway, which is why not having Riptor there does not make much sense.

The roster for Season 1 was clearly dictated by budget and time constraints. The only marketing concern they have now is which old characters the fans still want to see being added to this game.

For me Season 3 with only new characters is quite exciting thought, and it certainly will not require any returning KI/KI2 characters to become successful. It might be that they will save one of the KI2 characters for Season 3, but who knows.

That was my thinking originally as well. However, after talking to IG, it became clear that they want season 3 to be more marketable than just "here are 8 brand new characters". I understand that line of thinking, and unless something changes from their plans at E3, you will not see all of the KI1/2 characters by the end of season 2. That's basically a confirmation.

Can't tell from the photo but is his design still terrible? Curious to see if they really did take feedback to heart or if it was the usual PR spin they gave last season.

There's definitely no eyepatch, but I don't know if a lot of people actually wanted that lol. His design looks exactly the same as E3, but he might have an expression on his character picture at the top of the screen. I can't really tell.

.la1n

I like his design, don't know why people hate on it so much.

Mostly because it takes nothing from the original character design that made it iconic to begin with. Also the whole "average joe" take on the character is dumb in a fighting game where people want to play as larger than life super hero type characters. People expected something like Thunder where it's a "human" character but properties are exaggerated, like you see in Street Fighter for instance. He looks like he belongs in an EA Sports UFC game more than Killer Instinct.

Top Bottom