• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

.la1n

Don't worry, I am sure it was on top of Keit's nerf list. I would expect Sabrewulf and Sadira to have much less "cheap" options in Season 2.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
PSA: Stay the hell away from the Gaming forum, Xbox One hate has reached Critical Mass.

On topic we should get a patch any day now right?

Is it correct that you can only get TJ Combo early is by getting the Ultra Edition (and physical S1 Combo Breaker)?

Wasn't planning on getting Ultra but they might have lured me in if that's the only way to get TJ.

DrDogg

Don't worry, I am sure it was on top of Keit's nerf list. I would expect Sabrewulf and Sadira to have much less "cheap" options in Season 2.

I'm actually really hoping there are no nerfs. I'm okay if they "fix" Sadira's jump-canceling shenanigans since I don't believe that was the original intention of her Instinct (maybe I'm wrong), but despite how much I truly dislike Sadira, I don't feel she needs a nerf.

Is it correct that you can only get TJ Combo early is by getting the Ultra Edition (and physical S1 Combo Breaker)?

Wasn't planning on getting Ultra but they might have lured me in if that's the only way to get TJ.

Yeah, the only way you can get Combo before 10/15 is by either buying the retail release of S1, or pre-ordering the $39.99 Ultra Pack for S2. You'll also get KI2 Classic early with the pre-order option.

El Sabroso

I'm actually really hoping there are no nerfs. I'm okay if they "fix" Sadira's jump-canceling shenanigans since I don't believe that was the original intention of her Instinct (maybe I'm wrong), but despite how much I truly dislike Sadira, I don't feel she needs a nerf.

I'm in this same position, really the game can get boring when characters are nerfed but if there are fixes needed that would be good

muzzymate

I'm so torn about paying another $40 for the Ultra Edition of Season 2. Killer Instinct has been my most played game on the Xbox One by far, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that I also paid for the Ultra Edition for Season 1, making the total $80. Really want the alternate costumes... Got to start doing more Bing searches.

Will probably pay for the Combo Edition and hope for an upgrade sale, like I did for Season 1.

Silky

Banned
I'm so torn about paying another $40 for the Ultra Edition of Season 2. Killer Instinct has been my most played game on the Xbox One by far, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that I also paid for the Ultra Edition for Season 1, making the total $80. Really want the alternate costumes... Got to start doing more Bing searches.

Will probably pay for the Combo Edition and hope for an upgrade sale, like I did for Season 1.

The costumes would be on the $20 version of season 2 like season 1, right?

bumpkin

I'd be more torn if I hadn't accrued at least $40 in XBL credit thanks to GameStop's gold rush giveaway and Bing Rewards. I'm basically getting KI S2 for free. :)

tapedeck

I'd be more torn if I hadn't accrued at least $40 in XBL credit thanks to GameStop's gold rush giveaway and Bing Rewards. I'm basically getting KI S2 for free. :)
Same here, I got $50. Feels good man.

.la1n

I tried to resist the urge to buy into Season 2 because of my dissatisfaction with retro costumes last season and how Combo was coming along (aesthetically and mechanically.) At the end of the day I still have more fun playing KI online than any other fighter I own, the core game itself is still great even if other aspects of it could use some work. If they can get online ranked working smoothly again then I will absolutely buy into Season 2 when it launches. I just hope that complaints the fan base have been vocal about get some attention.

tapedeck

I tried to resist the urge to buy into Season 2 because of my dissatisfaction with retro costumes last season and how Combo was coming along (aesthetically and mechanically.) At the end of the day I still have more fun playing KI online than any other fighter I own, the core game itself is still great even if other aspects of it could use some work. If they can get online ranked working smoothly again then I will absolutely buy into Season 2 when it launches. I just hope that complaints the fan base have been vocal about get some attention.
Pretty much exactly how I feel. But Kevin Bayliss designing the classics this time almost guarantees they'll be better and shows that MS recognized the problem.

.la1n

Pretty much exactly how I feel. But Kevin Bayliss designing the classics this time almost guarantees they'll be better and shows that MS recognized the problem.

I'm glad they recognized there was a problem but I wanted something more than "we will do better next time." The beauty of the constantly updating game model they are using for KI is that problems we have with Season 1 should theoretically be much easier to address than if it were it's own separate game. The retro costumes should have gotten attention long before the UI was updated, nobody was flooding message boards demanding UI face lifts.

It is what it is at this point, it's not just KI that suffers from these issues either. Some of the new SFIV (and old) costumes are terrible and almost every aspect of the character customization options in Tekken results in something aesthetically garbage. Maybe it's just a cross fighting games are meant to bare ;P

Give me an option to toggle off accessories / skins in online matches and I'd be pretty happy. Always wanted that option in Tekken as well, about the 16th time I fought a Ganryu with wings, floating stars, and a pet rabbit on his shoulder.

Guess it's safe to say we were correct when we assumed Mick looking for a rapper a while back was for TJ Combo after all?

Looks like the car from Combo's stage in the first game plus a boxer in the video, has to be Combo's theme.

DrDogg

I was pretty excited when they were talking about StarCraft ranking when discussing changes to the ranking system in KI. I've always thought fighting games should offer a StarCraft-like league ranking system.

That said, I'm not a big fan of 2/3 for ranked matches. I just see that as giving people more incentive to quit out early. I'm already not a big fan of sitting through Ultra animations at the end of a match (win or lose), I can't imagine people wanting to play a second game against someone who just destroyed them. Granted, with a league-based system you should be fighting people around your skill level, but still...

I'm so torn about paying another $40 for the Ultra Edition of Season 2. Killer Instinct has been my most played game on the Xbox One by far, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around that I also paid for the Ultra Edition for Season 1, making the total $80.

S1 and S2 total to be $40. KI1 and KI2 Classic total to be $40. Together that's $80, but you can't really complain about KI costing $80 when you're getting three games for that price.

I'm glad they recognized there was a problem but I wanted something more than "we will do better next time." The beauty of the constantly updating game model they are using for KI is that problems we have with Season 1 should theoretically be much easier to address than if it were it's own separate game. The retro costumes should have gotten attention long before the UI was updated, nobody was flooding message boards demanding UI face lifts.

I would agree that UI changes weren't even really needed as most people don't care much about the UI in a fighting game... but I also understand that the person/people designing the new UI are completely different than the person/people doing costume designs. One is not necessarily more of a priority over the other in this case.

.la1n

I was pretty excited when they were talking about StarCraft ranking when discussing changes to the ranking system in KI. I've always thought fighting games should offer a StarCraft-like league ranking system.

That said, I'm not a big fan of 2/3 for ranked matches. I just see that as giving people more incentive to quit out early. I'm already not a big fan of sitting through Ultra animations at the end of a match (win or lose), I can't imagine people wanting to play a second game against someone who just destroyed them. Granted, with a league-based system you should be fighting people around your skill level, but still...

Yes I think the Starcraft style ranking system could be beneficial to apply to fighting games. Would be exciting to see KI take a stab at it first. I am not a huge fan of the 2/3 for ranked either, if it's simply an option and not the standard then that would be alright. Basically just giving us numerous filtering options, I have faith IG will do this as the filter options on their PSN/XBL fighting game ports have always been great.

I am not sure what to do about the Ultra system. While it is an iconic part of the game and I wouldn't want to see them disappear completely I would like an option to have it default to automatic ultra quick enders for ranked games if nothing else. For a game I spend as much time playing as KI the Ultras really start to wear thin and you always have the trolls who want to run them out as long as humanly possible.

S1 and S2 total to be $40. KI1 and KI2 Classic total to be $40. Together that's $80, but you can't really complain about KI costing $80 when you're getting three games for that price.
I've seen people complain about them having to pay $120 by the time S3 starts. People'll always find a way to complain.

tapedeck

It is what it is at this point, it's not just KI that suffers from these issues either. Some of the new SFIV (and old) costumes are terrible and almost every aspect of the character customization options in Tekken results in something aesthetically garbage. Maybe it's just a cross fighting games are meant to bare ;P

Give me an option to toggle off accessories / skins in online matches and I'd be pretty happy. Always wanted that option in Tekken as well, about the 16th time I fought a Ganryu with wings, floating stars, and a pet rabbit on his shoulder.
You're preaching to the quire, trust me. The framework was built to fix whatever they need to quickly...use it. The S1 classics still need to be (and already should have been) addressed. I do have a small glimmer of hope that Bayliss in addition to making the 8 S2 costumes will either..

A. Go back and fix some of the glaring issues with the S1 classics
or
B. Just make all new classics for everyone including S1 characters that will stand alongside the existing ones. For example he could do versions we dont have yet that people wanted anyway. KI1 Jago, Glacius, Thunder, Fulgore. KI2 versions of Sabrewulf, Spinal and Orchid.

Maybe wishful thinking but if the efforts already been made to bring him in why the hell not?

Silky

Banned
Textual stream's up. After the character reveal AFTER Maya, it'll tease a returning character.

So it's Maya > newcomer > veteran

.la1n

Good news that we will know more about the roster before launch so that we can make a more informed purchasing decision. I was a little worried we might only know TJ, Maya, newcomer before launch which leaves a whole lot of what if scenarios.

Coda

How do y'all play this shit with a controller

I played the game with my Sega Saturn PS2 pad through a 360 converter through a CronusMAX and man did it feel way better than playing on stick. The game's combo flow like nature made playing it on that pad a dream.

DrDogg

Have to, I have old man arthritis so I can't do long sessions on stick. Maya is going to be a lot of fun to watch it sounds like. Lots of acrobatics combined with catching daggers in mid air.

In season one, I would be concerned about the Maya info. Only because they talked up how Spinal was so good and he's basically the worst character in the game. The only explanation I could think of was that Rich was beating everyone up in the office and no one figured out good ways around his shenanigans so they toned Spinal down.

While I think IG will have better results with something like that, I still remain a bit skeptical. I have heard about one "fix" to a season one character which was something I complained about for quite some time, so I'm happy that's being addressed.

At this point I would just like frame data on all of Maya's attacks more so than a trailer or description of a combo. Same with Combo. I want to know how much I can really pressure, especially since even with frame advantage, you can still be shadow countered...

.la1n

Yeah Spinal sounded a lot better during early testing than he actually ended up being. I feel like the original six had better balancing than Spinal and Fulgore. Perhaps less testing time.

Spinal is no doubt going to see buffs along with Fulgore.

patch is coming tomorrow, here are patch notes

A new title update for Killer Instinct is on the way and will be live by the end of Wednesday 8/20. This new update addresses inconsistencies that players encountered during online play, tweaks the way save data functions during certain situations, and includes general fixes to improve the overall user experience.

We have to delay deployment of our update a bit as it was dependent upon changes in the August update, but with that out, and in conjunction with our changes multiplayer online play should be much more stable: : http://majornelson.com/2014/08/17/next-xbox-one-update-begins-rolling-today/

Jail System Changes

Community feedback is extremely important to us and we are always listening to everyone’s concerns. We recently ran a poll regarding the Jail system and the community voted that we keep the current system in place while we work out the kinks. We were able to identify the most immediate issues reported by the community and came up with a few solutions as we work on upgrading the Jail system even further.

Here are those improvements:

Jail System Reset
·Jail stats will be reset immediately after installing the update. You are all free now!

Improved Arbitration
·Some issues with win/loss tabulation after disconnects have been corrected and the system has been made smarter.

Online Improvements

Online is a core aspect of Killer Instinct and we received a lot of community feedback regarding the lobby and party system. We have implemented the following changes to alleviate these issues:

Revamped Party and Lobby System
·Leaving an online session will now properly leave the Game Party
·Fixed an issue where players cannot rejoin a lobby immediately after leaving a Party
·Fixed general stability issues that would occur when creating a lobby while in a party
·Fixed an issue where players were unable to join a previous lobby session after a disconnect
·Fixed an issue where declining a game invitation would not allow the user to join another session.

Refined Online Play
·Fixed a desync that would occur if the user held a direction with the Left Analog Stick and pressed the opposite direction on the D-Pad
·Fixed various desync generated from character-specific moves

Reworked Lobby Host Migration Improved – Fixed an issue of all players being booted from lobby when the host left.

General System Fixes

One of our priorities with this update was to fix major issues that have been frequently reported by the community. One problem that kept popping up involved users losing all their hard earned save data. This was the result of a sign in change occurring during certain save operations. This problem has now been resolved with this title update. It is worth noting that if you lost your save data previously there is unfortunately no way to retrieve that data again. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Save System Tweaks
·Addressed an issue where save data was being overwritten during certain save operations.

Miscellaneous Fixes
·Fixed an issue that allowed the user to pause the game during a Dojo demonstration transition screen.
·Fixed an issue that allowed the user to toggle the Half Speed setting during a Dojo demonstration transition screen.
·Fixed an issue where the user was not receiving the correct amount of KP after completing the “Come at Me” and “Block This!” challenges

We're very happy to get this patch out to everyone and want to thank all KI players and fans for their patience. As always we'll continue to keep an eye on things as soon as the patch goes live and look forward Season 2 kicking off October 15th!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So they should have fixed the bug that ate my day 1 save file so long ago. Good to hear. I look forward to seeing how the first major patch from our newest KI dev turns out.

.la1n

I wonder if the smarter jail system means they implemented what they were talking about at EVO where the system is able to detect which player disconnected.

Glad they didn't rush the patch, last thing we need are more issues.

tapedeck

Good to hear we are finally getting the damn patch. Motivates me to get back into the game a bit, I've barely played it the last month or two.

.la1n

Patch is live, supposed to be completely rolled out by 5:00PM PST. Download and let's see what we can break this time guys ;P

¡HarlequinPanic!;126205019 said:
Geez I didn't even know sadira could do cross ups like that, bravo!

Holy crap! Talk about a comeback.

:D

Love watching a good Sadira player. You ever stream on Twitch?

I tried streaming, but it's too stressful on my connection. However my internet was slightly upgraded since I last tried so maybe I'll try again soon. If I do I'll post here :p

Top Bottom