• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Bought an XB1 over the weekend and finally got to play KI. I actually like it a lot more than I was expecting. Pretty fun stuff, I think I like Orchid the most. Decided to give online a shot once and got absolutely rocked though.

welcome. Online is pretty unforgiving for new players lol, best way it to get better just practice on CPU and try some exhibition matches.

I know if you get the physical disc on Sept 23 you get Combo early but thought I read if you put down $40 on Season 2 you get him that day as well. Correct?

Sydle

I know if you get the physical disc on Sept 23 you get Combo early but thought I read if you put down $40 on Season 2 you get him that day as well. Correct?

Seems so...

Adam Isgreen said:
A lot of official information came out this week for KI S2; Official S2 start date (Oct 15th); the return of Mick Gordon for the music; TJ early access for S2 Ultra purchasers (or via retail disc code); KI2 classic with multiplayer for ultra ed.; Kev Bayliss doing the alternate costumes for the S2 characters.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I don't think so, when asked if that was Cinder at the end of TJ's teaser Dave Lang said it was either that or a pizza oven so I'm sure he's coming at some point.
I know the teaser was Cinder, I dont think that necessarily means we are getting him soon. With one character per month next one should be Nov 15th or so and thats been confirmed to be a new character. So Cinder must be the December release or hes next year..certainly feasible but I don't really see it. He's easily the most important character left and IG needs to be 1000% sure they get him right in both design and gameplay. With his fire effects and whatnot he's probably expected to be a graphical showcase character for KI as well. I expect we'll know in the next few weeks anyway.

Kev Bayliss should also do KI2 costumes for Season 1 characters...
This times infinity.

DrDogg

Thunder rebalanced...

The best use of Call of Sky is as an anti-air attack. It has exceptional tracking ability, which means it's fairly easy to punish an opponent who jumps from a distance. Spacing is going to be key when using Call of Sky. For instance, if you stay at the maximum range of Shadow Call of the Earth, an opponent has to be ready to jump and will sometimes preemptively jump. In season one Thunder didn't have a good way to punish this aside from a risky heavy Sammamish. Now Thunder can use Call of Sky to keep an opponent in check. If they jump, it's a guaranteed hit. If they remain grounded, Thunder is still safe in most situations.

http://www.primagames.com/games/killer-instinct/feature/killer-instinct-rebalanced-thunder

blurry maya leg pic hype

BxRHME_CMAEIMkX.jpg

DrDogg

At this point I'm curious to see how much will be shown before launch. We're a month out and have yet to see Maya in motion, let alone anything on the third character.

Either we're only going to see the third character by launch, or IG will be showing A LOT over the next month. I'd be nice to know at least half the roster (four characters) by launch, with a tease of the fifth character.

.la1n

blurry maya leg pic hype

LMAO now they are just trolling us after someone made the comment we would get one blurry Maya foot and like it, in this thread I think.

As for the stream today, I don't care if it's just casual matches and nothing new but for the love of god don't make us endure Jago stage over and over. Keits pls. It's become almost as painful as SF IV training stage.

I swear I remember Adam saying we'd know at least half the roster by launch. Maybe I'm just imagining that.

Skab

First they play Lethal League on stream, and now Gang Beasts? I love you IG.

Edit: I can't decide if Dave Lang is the best or worst boss in the world.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
blurry maya leg pic hype

Wow, no ones compared her height against the squares to figure out her approximate full height yet? I'm shocked!

Either we're only going to see the third character by launch, or IG will be showing A LOT over the next month. I'd be nice to know at least half the roster (four characters) by launch, with a tease of the fifth character.

I wonder how concerned they are with that kind of thinking ATM? One of the good things is... the game isn't a 1 and done retail release. It might as well be a new product each time a new character is released monthly.

Personally, I'd be fine with seeing something that just showed some basic silhouettes, and then filled each one monthly as the character was approaching release. S2 Release Trailer introduces us to Maya, and then splashes remaining generic Silho's on screen, filling the ones for the monthly character, and the next character up, as they're ready to be seen.

As for the stream today, I don't care if it's just casual matches and nothing new but for the love of god don't make us endure Jago stage over and over. Keits pls. It's become almost as painful as SF IV training stage.

I swear I remember Adam saying we'd know at least half the roster by launch. Maybe I'm just imagining that.

Nothing could be as bad as the lifeless box that is SFIV Training, especially with that training melody that drills itself into your head.

Really though, I'm kinda OK with them only showing stuff when they have something worth seeing. I'm sure we could have had a few "Thunder's Axe in a Tree" teasers now, but would it be better to have those, or only see stuff when it's fully presentable?

Save for TGS, they're pretty much missed all the big events before release now, right? It'd be cool if the 3rd character is something Asian-pleasing, given all the focus Microsoft has on the Chinese Launch and outreach to eastern countries.

If we don't even get a Tease of something new at TGS... think it'll be time to expect a trailer closer to release, and probably to follow that trend going forward.

.la1n

I don't think the Asian markets are a big enough focus for Microsoft right now to expect they'd show anything new related to KI at TGS. Is KI even on this list of games they are showing at TGS?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I don't think the Asian markets are a big enough focus for Microsoft right now to expect they'd show anything new related to KI at TGS. Is KI even on this list of games they are showing at TGS?

Pretty sure it is, yup. (Closed thread, but: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=891239 )

Microsoft is kinda weird, commissioning that native Chinese voicework for Halo 5, getting some first to console-exclusives tied up for their break into China... getting 1 character out of 8 in a continually growing game to have a bit of Asian appeal, especially when it's the only game they have in a genre that's actually popular there, wouldn't be a horrible idea. Nor would it be nearly as risky as the things they're spending much more on already.

DrDogg

According to Adam we'll get individual trailers for each character (or did he mention just the first 5-6?). I'm assuming that wasn't counting a season two launch trailer, so that means a Maya trailer is likely coming soon, followed by a third character trailer probably a week or two before S2 hits. I'm hoping they launch S2 with the fourth character trailer.

.la1n

According to Adam we'll get individual trailers for each character (or did he mention just the first 5-6?). I'm assuming that wasn't counting a season two launch trailer, so that means a Maya trailer is likely coming soon, followed by a third character trailer probably a week or two before S2 hits. I'm hoping they launch S2 with the fourth character trailer.

Agree mostly because I want to see who the next classic returning character is.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Well.. he said he had the scripts done up to the 5th and was almost finished the 6th. (Aug 3rd)

I expect there to be a maya trailer before sept 23rd and expect the 3rd characters trailer before october 15th (just to show half the cast, i guess... depending on the troll reveal)

After that who knows?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso

I just wonder now if they could be as likely to be "OUT NOW!" trailers, rather than just "Coming Soon!".

We won't be getting TJ's stage in the preview soon, but we expect them to have Maya + Her and TJ's Stages ready a month from then, plus teases for whatever they have coming next... I hope they can do it, surely. I just don't wanna over-estimate what they'll be able to do.

Anything interesting out of the stream?

I only saw towards the end... there was something like a 71% Damage combo with Fulgore due to using the newly-balanced shadow enders, but other than that, we saw some more aerial combo breakers. heard Haunts talk about how the air breaker and wakeup meta will change with the changes, and they teased that the focus group test they did last night went REALLY REALLY good.

DrDogg

the only thing was they said they had a focus test yesterday with 8 people

and everyone loved what it is they showed

Yeah... but they said the same thing about Sadira focus tests. I am not fond of that character.

That said, I am looking forward to seeing how Maya plays. Her description sounds really good, but it's something I want to see so I can fully understand it. I'm also hoping the 3rd character will be more in-line with the other KI characters and not Sadira-like. I know people like her, but I don't think she fits in with the other season one characters.

#hater

Skab

With my luck, you're probably right. He was teased in the fulgore trailer wasn't he, or was that the TJ Combo trailer?

Someone that was most likely Cinder was teased in Combo's trailer. (Fulgore didn't have any character teases, since he was the final character of season 1.)

Also season 2 is technically launching with 1 new character, not two. Maya won't be in at launch.

hwalker84

Someone that was most likely Cinder was teased in Combo's trailer. (Fulgore didn't have any character teases, since he was the final character of season 1.)

Also season 2 is technically launching with 1 new character, not two. Maya won't be in at launch.

Not true. September 23rd isn't the beginning of Season 2 its a preorder which happens to give you TJ Combo early. October 15th is when Season 2 launches with TJ and Maya.

update was just posted, maya trailer before the end of the month.

Hello everyone,

Welcome to the post-leg textual stream! With a question for y'all too!

What’s up with KI S2:
  • WE ARE 11 DAYS AWAY FROM EARLY ACCESS FOR SEASON 2! 11 DAYS UNTIL TJ!
  • Some lucky focus testers got to go hands-on with Maya the other night. The results? Near-unanimous LOVE for how she plays. She has some of the craziest combos in the game yet – you’ll get a taste of that in her trailer.
  • And regarding Maya’s trailer – you will see it before the end of the month!

More endings, or more story?

For season 1, we followed the arcade games in having three endings for each character’s story. While it was great to pay homage to the originals, creating multiple endings, two of which are essentially throw-away work because they’re not canon (i.e. the “real” ending for that character that we use into the future) takes time away from adding more story element to each character that matters going forwards.

So the question I ask of all of you: is the trade-off worth it? If we could get a bit more story into each character’s story mode (say a rival intro and pre-boss scene) by removing the three endings and only having one ending per character, is that worth it to y’all? We’d like to know! Comment in the thread if you want to keep it as-is or would like more story beats in each S2 story!

From the forums / twitter:
  • There are no 3D rotating stages planned for KI right now.
  • We’re aware that some countries aren’t able to purchase the Ultra edition of KI in their respective countries’ stores. That is being resolved, and we’ll update you on it as soon as we can.
  • For those of you in Germany or using the German store, be aware that due to ratings restrictions in Germany, we can’t sell the Ultra edition in that country’s store.
  • To repeat, before launch (Oct 15th) of season 2, you will have much more information on what’s in the season, not by early access.
  • We currently have no intention to offer an option to play with S1 balance & features vs. S2 balance and features. Too many core systems and character scripts have been changed behind the scenes for S2 onwards to easily allow a toggle between versions.
Tease:
  • The teaser for the 3rd character (at the end of Maya’s trailer) does something we’ve not done before – you get an early peek at that character's stage too!

http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=1896.0

.la1n

Alright so pretty much confirms any information on Season 2 will be crammed into the first two weeks of October. Sounds like all we will see this month is the Maya trailer.

Don't really like that vs the way information used to be spread but I'm sure they have their reasons. I imagine the short development time mostly.

SimonM7

We’re aware that some countries aren’t able to purchase the Ultra edition of KI in their respective countries’ stores. That is being resolved, and we’ll update you on it as soon as we can.

Holy shit. I didn't think this would even be acknowledged. That's great to hear.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Good to hear the Maya trailer is this month. Looking forward to seeing what's original within this tease. This will probably set the trends that will appear in future trailers going forward.

I like the multiple endings in KI. Thats tradition.
Totally disagree. Waste for endings that don't mean anything. Use the resources elsewhere

I'm kinda in between here. Multiple endinds are very cool in theory, but I don't think they're worth it if they're just parts of what feel like the same basic end. 1 True end, with divergent ends depending on what you did to specific opponents would make more sense.

As far as using resources elsewhere... If it's kinda dynamic, like the removal of multi-endings getting us some more VA and maybe an in game moment, then, cool. If it's just a canned set of static scenes that put a few text lines on the VS screen, then I'd rather have the endings, personally.

Alright so pretty much confirms any information on Season 2 will be crammed into the first two weeks of October. Sounds like all we will see this month is the Maya trailer.

Don't really like that vs the way information used to be spread but I'm sure they have their reasons. I imagine the short development time mostly.

I look forward to seeing if we have any more content slips via glitches or "Secret codes" like we did in S1. Getting TJ this month, and then getting a character, and hopefully their song and stage each month too, should help make the next half a year be pretty interesting from a KI ran perspective. We're going to be guaranteed to get some pretty solid, constant information.

Really hoping for things to get smoother and smoother each month. I really wonder how smooth things woulda been for DH if they were able to continue, rather than hand off the reigns to someone else that ALSO had to get used to what they were JUST getting good at.

Nemesis_

I'd rather it feel more complete than having two tacked on endings. I understand there is tradition to uphold but if it means that we can have more meaningful interactions between the characters like rival battles and whatnot then I'm all for it.

DrDogg

I have never once touched story mode in season one. Can I get S2 endings by beating every character one time in ranked? :p I think one ending is fine if it's fleshed out.

I'm curious as to what's taking the Maya trailer so long. If she was playable for focus testing last week, you'd think she'd be in a state in which a trailer was feasible.

I'm also curious as to what we'll see between Maya's trailer and the launch of S2. Two more characters? One character with a tease for #4 at the end of that trailer?

No matter what, I'm ready to start playing KI again, and that begins with TJ in less than two weeks.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Honestly, the best way to work with Alt endings and saving resources... Just base the "Alt endings" on a single nice picture of one of the characters alternate looks /accessories. Use it as a way to earn it. These could be anything from nice single frame Screenshots (like is made for the Achievement backgrounds), to character design sketches, fanart, or whatever.

Then put all the real resources into making the 1 true ending + it's route the best it can be.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Quality > Quantity.

I'd much rather have a single fully fleshed out story that can build on the limited KI lore than 3 gimmicky ones

AllenShrz

Help!

I'm about to buy the xbox BUT a deal breaker would be if I can't get the original KI.

Can I buy the premium version of the new KI on the marketplace and get the original KI?

I live on Japan so there are no retail copies.

Thanks.

.la1n

If the Ultra edition of Season 1 is available on the Japanese marketplace it SHOULD include KI classic. I don't have any experience with the Japanese live store, I would think it should list what is included in each pack.

Jezehbell

Help!

I'm about to buy the xbox BUT a deal breaker would be if I can't get the original KI.

Can I buy the premium version of the new KI on the marketplace and get the original KI?

I live on Japan so there are no retail copies.

Thanks.

If you choose US region setting for your console, you should be able to play it, i guess.

AllenShrz

1.- If i choose the JNP marketplace, can I play ppl from other regions? (Contrary to PSN)

2.- In the US marketplace is possible to buy the original KI then? I can VPN to the US

Top Bottom