• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

.la1n

What did I just wake up to :)

Maya translated well from concept to in game, still some of the best female models I have seen in a fighting game. Mummy looks great and will fit into the cast nicely, can't wait to see it in action.

Haven't had a chance to go too much further into it because I have to get to work but first impression is good. Nice job IG.

MAYA! FINALLY!

She looks great, IG seems to have done a great job with her. The mummy looks neat too, but Maya looks so good lol.

Not a fan of the UI changes though. They font choice is strange and overall look seems pretty amateur. Really hope that's still a work in progress...

bumpkin

...i like the old UI though, reminded me of the KI a bit :(
Same. A shame they probably won't give us a toggle for it.

And is it just me or are the new Fight Title notification banners more intrusive than they used to be? Seems like the box is bigger than it needs to be; lots of empty space for something that is distracting in the first place.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Maya looks great in game, playstyle looks just as fun as I imagined..can't wait to see her real Ultra! Mummy character looks cool and creepy, fits KI well.

The new UI..I was expecting a bit more TBH..it's kind of underwhelming but I'm gonna assume it's a work in progress. I was hoping they were gonna change the in-game HUD too, particularly the SFIV style combo designation/Combo Breaker font, it stands out pretty starkly now with the rest of the games art direction. Eh.

.la1n

Yeah not feeling the new UI, if character models and colors load faster though that's a win. It's good to have all characters selectable on screen at once but the distinction between season 1 and season 2 cast is an odd decision. It gives a disjointed aesthetic instead of feeling like a cohesive continuing game. It would be like if Ultra Street Fight had different sections for vanilla, super, and AE.

derFeef

I know they are not a powerdev house, but would love to see some improvements to loading, resolution etc. Guess that would mean touching every asset... :/

.la1n

I know they are not a powerdev house, but would love to see some improvements to loading, resolution etc. Guess that would mean touching every asset... :/

Resolution won't be altered, it's more effort than it's worth. Character loading could and should be fixed though.

derFeef

Resolution won't be altered, it's more effort than it's worth. Character loading could and should be fixed though.

Mind you that's just guessing, but they are loading in the characters at the selection screen, which shortens the whole loading time before the fight. But I would not be mad if they replaced those with static images, or maybe movies of some kind that do not need a large amount of memory and can be displayed quickly.

I am expecting the big characters to pop up as soon as I select them via their small profile picture, but that's not happening and it looks faulty.

On resolution - I know it's not needed, but it would be nice ;)

bumpkin

Yeah not feeling the new UI, if character models and colors load faster though that's a win. It's good to have all characters selectable on screen at once but the distinction between season 1 and season 2 cast is an odd decision. It gives a disjointed aesthetic instead of feeling like a cohesive continuing game. It would be like if Ultra Street Fight had different sections for vanilla, super, and AE.
Agreed. The issue I had with the S1 character select screen wasn't the appearance but the delay in the characters appearing if you were window shopping. I hope it's fixed in S2.

The new menu looks terrible. The font doesn't match with the UI in the actual gameplay at all. It's so... generic. Very upset with this.

Yea, I never thought the original UI was that great, but it wasn't terrible either. The new UI looks like a giant mess, that was thrown together so they had "something." I'm not sure if there's a point in me going on about it because I doubt it will get changed.

I mean look at this:

bju53ar.png

Just looks like a garbled mess.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Just judging by that screen, KI Points are gone, maybe.

We may buy stuff with XP or things just unlock after certain levels (no more KI store?)

Hmm. The new UI isn't bad, but I am disappointed by it. Especially coming from IG, I have high expectations from them. Especially when I see things like DS: R.

dankir

Has anybody figured out what the image of Maya's weapon above her Shadow meter represents?

Guess her weapon has different states? Combined? Left and right? Looks each one can be thrown independently etc.

mdsfx

Hmm. The new UI isn't bad, but I am disappointed by it. Especially coming from IG, I have high expectations from them. Especially when I see things like DS: R.
I did not like the original UI, so I will happily take this just for a change, but I agree it looks a little... generic?

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
For some reason I was expecting to be absolutely blown away by the awesomeness of the new UI. Hell there were mockups at the old DH forums for a new UI, metal KI style combo fonts and VS screen that are light years better looking than what IG just showed here. But in the end with such a small team Id rather IG put most of their effort into the characters and stages. I feel like KI could really benefit from Rare or some extra MS studio to help assist with the more superficial stuff like this.

Who knows, maybe the UI is just nowhere near finished...

mdsfx

For some reason I was expecting to be absolutely blown away by the awesomeness of the new UI. Hell there were mockups at the old DH forums for a new UI, metal KI style combo fonts and VS screen that are light years better looking than what IG just showed here. But in the end with such a small team Id rather IG put most of their effort into the characters and stages. I feel like KI could really benefit from Rare or some extra MS studio to help assist with the more superficial stuff like this.

Who knows, maybe the UI is just nowhere near finished...
Good point about allocating resources to priorities. I'm sure as hell not buying season two just to noodle around in the menus...

VariantX

Maya looks pretty stiff to me, particularly that walk animation( looks kind of like the one she had in KI2). I wanna think its because shes just not finished yet like TJ Combo was when he made his debut back at E3 where he looked pretty stiff.

mdsfx

It looks like he also intended to say there will never be a mummy in KI.
Yeah I don't see anything in the background that reminds me of a tomb. I see a bunch of astronomy references, but astronomy+zombie=???
Now I'm very curious...

DrDogg

The new "mummy" character looks good. Maya looks interesting, although I would need to play her before I can say for sure. Right now I'm still favoring Combo for my character of choice, but I'm hoping Maya will work for me.

I can see the issues they were having with Maya's hair. It still looks a bit off, but that's a minor complaint.

Not a fan of the new UI at all. I understand having to change the character select so it's easier to move through 17 characters, but I'm not a fan of the new layout. I also don't like the new font as I feel both the select screen and font take away from the classic KI vibe season one had. Although I will say it reminds me of KI2 so that may be what they're going for.

The post-fight screen feels cluttered and reminds me too much of Street Fighter. IG is definitely catering the game more toward SF fans than classic KI fans at this point. Not sure if that's good or bad. As I'm not a big SF fan it doesn't immediately appeal to me, but it may get more people into the game, which is a very good thing.

Has anybody figured out what the image of Maya's weapon above her Shadow meter represents?

Guess her weapon has different states? Combined? Left and right? Looks each one can be thrown independently etc.

IG stated at Evo that her weapon would power up over time as you hit the opponent with it. At maximum power you get unblockable projectiles.

Sydle

Yeah I don't see anything in the background that reminds me of a tomb. I see a bunch of astronomy references, but astronomy+zombie=???
Now I'm very curious...

Maybe the jewels aren't Egyptian, but Mayan? Perhaps this is one of the "monsters" Maya hunts? Maybe even the 3,500 year old Adam Isgreen teased? Some kind of Mayan shaman/witch/priest using witchcraft?

Where are people getting the info about mummy guy being a zoning character from?

Textual Stream from 9/5, Adam Isgreen teased:

While KI will never be a pure zoning game due to combo structure (eventually you have to get close and combo), there are several characters this season that have powerful zoning and ranged options. Character #3 is certainly one of those.

dankir

Okay so now we have Combo, MAya, Mummy Guy, Aria and Cinder right?

So Tusk, Kim Wu and Riptor left?

IG Tweet...
FYI there will bender be a mummy in KI #notamummy

they meant "never" instead of "bender" right?

Skab

Okay so now we have Combo, MAya, Mummy Guy, Aria and Cinder right?

So Tusk, Kim Wu and Riptor left?

Were not getting all of the remaining veterans in season 2. You'll most likely be getting either Kim or Tusk plus two more new characters.

IG Tweet...
FYI there will bender be a mummy in KI #notamummy

they meant "never" instead of "bender" right?

Apprently not even Keits knows lmao

@TheKeits 2h
@IToTheG I'm taking a cryptography class to decipher what this means.

DrDogg

Were not getting all of the remaining veterans in season 2. You'll most likely be getting either Kim or Tusk plus two more new characters.

I think they're going to leave out Riptor as well. I'm thinking we'll get Tusk or Kim Wu as the final returning character.

Khezu

It's weird to say this, but I find the fact that the characters are split up by seasons kinda immersion breaking. I mean it's one thing to put them into separate sections, but to actually have season 1 and season 2 plastered on the screen is just ugh.

That's probably nitpicky.

Skab

I wonder if theyre going to turn cinder into a ranged fighter of some sort.

I've always thought of him as a pretty hard rushdown character, but I always seem have a different picture in my head of what a character should play like compared to what we actually get. (When thinking about archtypes and what fulgore could be, back before he came out, I totally pictured him as a rekka character based around his cyber dash. Still think that would have been cool.)

It's weird to say this, but I find the fact that the characters are split up by seasons kinda immersion breaking. I mean it's one thing to put them into separate sections, but to actually have season 1 and season 2 plastered on the screen is just ugh.

That's probably nitpicky.

That is literally the only thing I dislike about the new ui stuff. But it's just one thing on one screen and I can live with it if it doesn't change.

Top Bottom