• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
It's weird to say this, but I find the fact that the characters are split up by seasons kinda immersion breaking. I mean it's one thing to put them into separate sections, but to actually have season 1 and season 2 plastered on the screen is just ugh.

That's probably nitpicky.
Totally agree, its very jarring. Do S1 people still get the new UI?

If so maybe its a marketing decision to clearly show the empty char slots so people know that more characters are still coming in S2 and also those who are new to the game and only buying S2 can easily see what their missing in S1. (wow that was a bad run-on sentence)

Either way Im not a fan of the layout at all..but whatever this is all trivial stuff lol.

.la1n

S1 users do not get the Season 2 UI changes as far as I know, only rebalances for original cast so that all users are playing the same game.

And yeah the only nitpick with the UI for me is how disjointed it feels having season 1 and 2 characters separated.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
For that it must be a seperate game, I don't think that's true.

Correct

Season 1 players will see everything season 2 players do.

They aren't handling separate versions... just one. So somebody who bought just sabrewulf at launch can go back to the game in 2016 and everything is different. More modes, more characters to face, more features, etc.

abadguy

Banned
This definitely looks better than before:

selecto3kmj.png

Yeah i like this a lot better.

tapedeck

Someone pointed this out at the official forum, looks like the Ark of the Covenant is in the new characters stage..hmmm.

index.php

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The character select screen is... kinda boring. I like how grungy and personal the old version felt. Now there's loads of screen space, and the overall feel is more "future-tech" sleek. Of the cast of the game so far, that matches... what... Fulgore? MAYBE Orchid? And that's about it.

The Mention of Seasons on the screen probably does need to be removed. I don't know about breaking immersion, but it does feel a bit too obvious. Hinting towards the division in seasons by offsetting the character palettes a bit would get the same message across, without spoon-feeding it to us.

The VS screen looks like something that should be in an Xmen Battle, or a quick scene from a Deadliest Warrior or such. It feels less like an intro to an impending fight, and more like the setup screen for an explanation of the fight. It's just too subdued and plain.

I kind of like the Post-match screen, just because it actually does a decent job of giving some kind of flow and design to all that info. But I still find it jarring compared to a feeling given off by a majority of the cast.

I guess this will all be kind of cool if it fits ARIA; maybe she's monitoring everyone, and these stat screens are like an in-universe themed readout from one of her killer dolls underlings' equipment.

==

On the flip side of things, I'm liking Maya's face animations in game even more. She already has a bit of attitude to her, And the overall modeling seems pretty solid, without all the weird angles one experienced with Orchid. Her daggers already seem to be a bit better rendered in the actual fight, as they leave more trails and after-effects when utilized, compared to the intro trailer. I hope they keep going with that; even just faint shadowy after-images would help make the projectiles look as if they fit a bit more in this particular game.

mdsfx

Someone please make some sense out of this sh*t. WTF is going on? And how is this not a mummy? I swear I'm not making landscapes out of my mashed potatoes...

Torture, astronomy, alchemy, the ark of the covenant... *throws in towel*

Untitled_1.jpg

Personally, I like the way everything is laid out, but the font and graphic elements are little too "cyber". I think if they brought in a little more of the industrial "steel and blood" graphic elements and fonts of the old UI and laid that on top of the new layout, it would be great. The only thing I outright don't like right now is the new character select. I think mostly because it's too sparse. Maybe having the highlighted character also show a picture of their stage behind them, would alleviate that.

EDIT: Dirty mock up

W3dWSRq.jpg

The cyber/high tech look is what theyre going for, though. It's Ultratech themed.

I figured that. I'm not sure if it's gelling that well though. Maybe it's just the shock of changing the aesthetic so much from the first season and I'll get used to it eventually.

Skab

I figured that. I'm not sure if it's gelling that well though. Maybe it's just the shock of changing the aesthetic so much from the first season and I'll get used to it eventually.

I think it's the color scheme more than anything. It's quite jarring compared to what we had before.

But it sounds like (based off of twitter comments) that it's all still very much a WIP.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So Maya's air pounce is a command Normal, she has an overhead that can be faked, her roll dash has attacks that can be derived out of it, she has to press 3 buttons to pick up her daggers, and her throw damage changes depending on daggers held.

Her Punch Ender also not only works as one, but also cashes out "Magical Charges" to allow her to do damage outside beyond the normal ender level rules.

She has no meter build ender. Her instinct Instantly brings her daggers back to her.

Nice to see some early frame data, too. She can cover her Reversal move by tossing dagger after it. Which, rather than being a DP, seems to be a QCB.

Magical charges are gained via forcing opponents to block the daggers. Daggers gain durability at lvl 1, and are unblockable at Lvl 2, assuming both work like Vengeance.

It is nice to see how well-wrapped it is around everything else. I still think it's a little too "Cyber" for the majority of the cast, but I can see it working out once we know all of S2's people. It'll probably work really well with the new boss, for instance.

The reorganization of Frame Data and move descriptions is really nice though. It is good to see this design has some texture and animation to it.

Personally, I like the way everything is laid out, but the font and graphic elements are little too "cyber". I think if they brought in a little more of the industrial "steel and blood" graphic elements and fonts of the old UI and laid that on top of the new layout, it would be great. The only thing I outright don't like right now is the new character select. I think mostly because it's too sparse. Maybe having the highlighted character also show a picture of their stage behind them, would alleviate that.

EDIT: Dirty mock up

W3dWSRq.jpg

Yeah, I think some Bloody Steel would help bridge the gap between Naturalistic brawlers and cyber-powered tech that the game presents. I also like your idea of showing off the background on the Chara Select; this is the rare modern game that actually has 1 background per character, might as well get some extra use out of it!

What's the "?" below the season 2 characters?

An interesting thing in the video, is that going down to that question mark actually seemed to prompt an input. Maybe it's where they plan to put extra characters that aren't purely for the season count, like Shadow Jago, or maybe even some new "Bonus" characters as time goes on...

Nori Chan

I'm neutral wight he UI. I don't like the different season select screen though. I agree with the stage art being behind the character. That looks awesome.

.la1n

Eh I can look past the UI as long as the core mechanics remain solid. I'm sure Maya still has work to be done that's why I'm not overly concerned with the stiff animations right now. TJ looked pretty stiff until recently as well but they managed to make him flow better.

DrDogg

No offense to Destin, but watching that video just makes me wish Maya was playable at PAX so I could get some proper hands-on time with her. :(

She seems like a very intricate character, so these videos just open up more questions about the character. Not Destin's fault or anything, but without a decent KI player in attendance to provide insight, it's a bit frustrating.

tapedeck

From that new video the UI is ok I guess, its certainly looks more functional. The IG community manager did say it wasn't done yet, they are still adding things like the character symbols behind them on the select screen.

tapedeck

Nobody is intrigued at all that characters have Stage Ultra's now??

Come on homies!!
From what Adam said I knew we were getting stage finishers very soon so I didn't have much of a reaction. :p

But yea Im psyched they are in, cant wait to see how they look.

DopeyFish

KI patch is being deployed Monday

Calling it now: Riptor is the next character. Cinder is the 2nd last (to aria)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
She seems like a very intricate character, so these videos just open up more questions about the character. Not Destin's fault or anything, but without a decent KI player in attendance to provide insight, it's a bit frustrating.

I'm surprised she's even there. Didn't they say the build they showed previously was the last public build before the Early Access release? I didn't think we'd see any new public availability until right before Maya's release.

Considering she still seems to have a lot of WIP stuff, I'm actually surprised by how much there already is to learn from Destin's vid. The movelist was full of a lot of info, and even had a Stage ultra motion. I didn't think we'd see anything on that until 3 or 4 characters into the season, at earliest.

Nobody is intrigued at all that characters have Stage Ultra's now??

Come on homies!!

Definitely intrigued, but there's so little info on it now... even having it show up in that vid almost seems more like a slip-up, rather than real info. We don't know if they're space specific (Like Eternal Champions), shared animations between characters, unique to each person... just way too little information. I'm pretty happy they're being thought about this early.

DopeyFish

Also trailer will be out for the mummy/lich dude early November with his release in mid November

Basically doing as I hoped

Hopefully they do it in the 4 week cycle for maximum exposure and maximum community involvement

DrDogg

Also trailer will be out for the mummy/lich dude early November with his release in mid November

Basically doing as I hoped

Hopefully they do it in the 4 week cycle for maximum exposure and maximum community involvement

Where is this info coming from?

I'd like to think we'll see the Mummy trailer on or before the official release of season two. Early November is two weeks after season two hits.

Also, the average person may not know Aria is confirmed, or that Cinder was teased at the end of Combo's trailer. For them, they only know of Combo, Maya, and the Mummy. I would think we'd get one more character trailer before S2 hits.

Where is this info coming from?

I'd like to think we'll see the Mummy trailer on or before the official release of season two. Early November is two weeks after season two hits.

Also, the average person may not know Aria is confirmed, or that Cinder was teased at the end of Combo's trailer. For them, they only know of Combo, Maya, and the Mummy. I would think we'd get one more character trailer before S2 hits.

the text stream

Hello everyone, and welcome to the TGS edition of the Textual Stream!

What a week! TGS! Maya trailer! New character tease! A peek at the new UI!

Let’s get to it!
S1 Ultra and Combo owners, YOU get a deal on S2 Ultra Edition!

Starting on 9/23 with Early Access, and ending 9/29, all Season 1 Ultra or Combo owners will get an automatic 10% discount on the purchase of the S2 Ultra Edition! It’s our way of saying thanks for being part of S1 and believing in Killer Instinct.

Even if you buy S1 (Ultra or Combo) during that week, you can immediately take advantage of the discount on S2 Ultra Edition!

Early Access and the S1 balance update
On Monday the 22nd, the balance update for S1 will be pushed out and your game will be updated. On Tuesday the 23rd, early access starts. You will not have the ability to purchase the S2 Ultra Edition and get early access to TJ until the 23rd, so DON'T PANIC if you get the update on Monday but can't buy into S2. We wanted to make sure everyone had the update first.

Maya’s trailer!
By now, you’ve all seen Maya’s trailer. She’s an incredible character with a ton of combo and juggling options that make her amazing not only to play but to watch, too. You have only around a month before you get to play her! 60FPS version of her trailer and Ultra coming soon!

The next character teased!
We gave you a very early glimpse of the next character releasing this season. His name and origin will remain a mystery for now, but his stage, cluttered with the artifacts he’s gathered over the centuries for his dark research, is called The Forbidden Archive. You’ll know this character’s name and more of his background by Season 2 launch, and you can look for him and his trailer to arrive in November.

Maya @ TGS
Maya is playable at TGS, and we’ll be having streams and more detail on her moves and mechanics soon. We’ve got this whole S2 early access thing launching in 5 DAYS, so let’s get through that first, eh?

New UI!
Yes! There is a new UI that goes in line with the theme of this season’s story, “The Rise of Ultratech”. We’ve shown it to you a bit early at TGS, and you can look for it to be evolving up to S2’s launch and beyond.

New Progression mechanics
As some have noticed in the new UI preview at TGS, we’ve overhauled the ranking and leveling system for S2 to make it more friendly towards earning your costumes, accessories, and other badges of honor. A player will have a character level for each individual character, and a player level for overall progression. Every mode you play (except dojo / lab) contributes to character and player level, so you’ll be earning progression towards specific unlocks (for the character you’re playing) and global unlocks any time you’re playing KI in any way. We’ll have more on the new progression system before S2’s launch.

S2 characters first for Ultra Edition owners
Last season, Ultra and Combo owners got new characters on the same day. This season, S2 Ultra Edition owners will get each new character first. Several days later, S2 Combo pack owners will get them. Sometime after the combo pack gets them, they will be available for individual purchase.

#IDARB fan?
We’ve got a special surprise for you next week!

And a tease!
Boy, with all the info already this week, what could I possibly tease? How’s this:

At the end of TJ’s teaser, he was lit up by someone or something behind him. There’s only two characters from the original KI that could have possibly created a glow like that. Whichever one it was, they are returning this season. What about the other? We’re not saying yet if they’re coming this season or next. Continue the speculation!

http://www.ultra-combo.com/forums/index.php?topic=2033

tapedeck

New UI!
Yes! There is a new UI that goes in line with the theme of this season’s story, “The Rise of Ultratech”. We’ve shown it to you a bit early at TGS, and you can look for it to be evolving up to S2’s launch and beyond.
Excellent.
New Progression mechanics
As some have noticed in the new UI preview at TGS, we’ve overhauled the ranking and leveling system for S2 to make it more friendly towards earning your costumes, accessories, and other badges of honor. A player will have a character level for each individual character, and a player level for overall progression. Every mode you play (except dojo / lab) contributes to character and player level, so you’ll be earning progression towards specific unlocks (for the character you’re playing) and global unlocks any time you’re playing KI in any way. We’ll have more on the new progression system before S2’s launch.
Most Excellent.

Skab

Switching my pick. Riptor this season Cinder next.

Cinder has essentially already been confirmed for this season though.

Riptor will be season 3. They need a bigger returning character that season than Kim Wu.

Edit: wait a second here

And a tease!
Boy, with all the info already this week, what could I possibly tease? How’s this:

At the end of TJ’s teaser, he was lit up by someone or something behind him. There’s only two characters from the original KI that could have possibly created a glow like that. Whichever one it was, they are returning this season. What about the other? We’re not saying yet if they’re coming this season or next. Continue the speculation!

Who besides Cinder could have made that glow? There's only Cinder, Riptor, and Eyedol left from KI1. I don't really know how Riptor or Eyedol could cause a orange glow like that, and they said Eyedol wouldn't be coming back anyway. So that's a little confusing.

Top Bottom