• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Maybe because the game was rushed and they haven't even made the classic costume skins and haven't even started on spinal and fulgore yet. The trailer would probably be the same old footage we have seen a million times already

The "rushed" bit is tiresome. A truly "rushed" product would be more deficient in gameplay than what we have here. So far, it's balance and mechanics look like the opposite of "rushed". We know they have a Spinal model, as we've seen him. We also know Mick has teased up with Spinal's music. And there's art and such to show in the guidebook, which was most likely printed quite a while ago.

Classic costumes are a mystery, but even if they're not all complete, I doubt they don't have at least a few made. If they've been talking confidently for the past few weeks about letting people see what they are like, you can bet they at LEAST have a few, if not all, complete.

Even "final build" footage would get good to lend some hype to the launch.

Thanks for the response. I guess I will just have to get another game to play on my Xbone as well. 20 bucks is a great price, but 6 characters is going to feel too light to keep my attention.

NP. It is a worry that a lack of some other distractions in-game might make it feel light, but that's where it's great that the game starts off cheaper, and has new content coming to it that includes no additional cost. It should be great fun to watch these first few weeks of "gameplay exposed to the wild"... and after some of that, and getting swept up in the Christmas rush, it won't be long until we'll all have Spinal to play around with! (Hopefully...)

The "rushed" bit is tiresome. A truly "rushed" product would be more deficient in gameplay than what we have here. So far, it's balance and mechanics look like the opposite of "rushed". We know they have a Spinal model, as we've seen him. We also know Mick has teased up with Spinal's music. And there's art and such to show in the guidebook, which was most likely printed quite a while ago.

Classic costumes are a mystery, but even if they're not all complete, I doubt they don't have at least a few made. If they've been talking confidently for the past few weeks about letting people see what they are like, you can bet they at LEAST have a few, if not all, complete.

Even "final build" footage would get good to lend some hype to the launch.

I agree with this. It is true KI had a short dev cycle, but the trade off for having very good core gameplay mechanics is the absence of story and more characters which I am very fine with. We will be getting the lacking things post launch which is great too. Getting KI back and intact as a great fighter is a dream enough, but the quality of job DH is doing is just top notch.

I played this for a good 3 hours last night so ill post some quick feedback:

1) Looks amazing, i love the particle affects and how jago's fireball kinda glows and brightens up the room and creates a heatwave across the screen.
2) Sound design is fantastic, from the music to the sound effects
3) The controller isnt bad to use at all, but the bumper buttons SUCK. You defn need an arcade stick.
4) What i dont like is if you just go 1p vs CPU - at the beginning you ONLY have 2 stages, the other stages have to be unlocked with in game earned KI credits
5) All you can really do is play one match at a time or play survival mode. Didnt try online as i dont think many people would have been on.
6) MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT: i purchased the $20 pack, then went to upgrade to the $40 pack. I have $32 in my account. it says it isnt enough and that i need the full $40 to get the top level pack - I thought i would be able to purchase the "extras" for additional $20 and that the total amount of $40 would be the max amount i would have to spend.
7) I dont like glacius or sadira at all - i had loads of fun with jago and orchid. each character players really differently though which is great. Thunder is really slow, Sabrewulf is really quick and is a rushdown character with back forward moves rather than D, DF, F type commands.
8) i learned to string combos pretty quickly - particularly with those charged/shadow moves.

the game provides a lot of information to you. Cant wait for more characters and story mode.

Not at launch. They say it might be added later, but nothing is certain.

Thanks. Fingers crossed it doesn't turn out like Mortal Kombat Kollection if it does come out. I'd guess adding netcode to old games that didn't have latency in mind (especially fighters) is pretty tough.

Pistolero

1) Looks amazing, i love the particle affects and how jago's fireball kinda glows and brightens up the room and creates a heatwave across the screen.
3) The controller isnt bad to use at all, but the bumper buttons SUCK. You defn need an arcade stick.
4) What i dont like is if you just go 1p vs CPU - at the beginning you ONLY have 2 stages, the other stages have to be unlocked with in game earned KI credits
5) All you can really do is play one match at a time or play survival mode. Didnt try online as i dont think many people would have been on.
6) MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT: i purchased the $20 pack, then went to upgrade to the $40 pack. I have $32 in my account. it says it isnt enough and that i need the full $40 to get the top level pack - I thought i would be able to purchase the "extras" for additional $20 and that the total amount of $40 would be the max amount i would have to spend.
7) I dont like glacius or sadira at all - i had loads of fun with jago and orchid. each character players really differently though which is great. Thunder is really slow, Sabrewulf is really quick and is a rushdown character with back forward moves rather than D, DF, F type commands.
8) i learned to string combos pretty quickly - particularly with those charged/shadow moves.

the game provides a lot of information to you. Cant wait for more characters and story mode.

Nice feedback. How are the fighting mechanics?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Have you done the training dojo stuff?

Have you done the training dojo stuff?

yeah - it works well, just the basic ones as i got bored and wanted to play more.

Nice feedback. How are the fighting mechanics?

Well i like it. Its easy to string together short combos but it takes skill to do juggles and larger ones. I really enjoy the game it just feels so hardhitting and powerful. The sound really stands out btw.

Some people might complain that because its "only" 720p that the graphics arent as sharp as they could be - but i was too busy having fun and enjoying myself to care about the little details that this forum tends to dissect

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
tumblr_meqxfqwzrh1riolyto2_500.gif

Watch them reveal the launch trailer at the Spike TV special event... that won't be seen by anyone... who'se going to pick up their system at launch. "Watch it when you get home, and are in the middle of DLing KI!"

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
tumblr_meqxfqwzrh1riolyto2_500.gif

Watch them reveal the launch trailer at the Spike TV special event... that won't be seen by anyone... who'se going to pick up their system at launch. "Watch it when you get home, and are in the middle of DLing KI!"

Seriously. Trailers are meant to hype, damn it.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
The worse thing about HYPE trailers, is the fact that... no matter when they come out, they won't really... CHANGE anything, lol. Not like I'll get the content sooner by seeing the trailer on Monday, rather than Thursday. THE WAITING STILL BURNS!

...we DO have a PlayXBLA KI stream today though, right? So... err... it'd be smart for them to trailer us before then, so the whole stream isn't filled with that particular brand of complaining and questions.

it's salivatingly close.
you can part pay for things with points/microsoft credit right? i just bought a £17 card in preparation for tomorrow using some store loyalty points.

Not sure about XB1, but I believe you can pay with "Microsoft Account" credit, and then pay the difference with your credit card, since the switch over from Microsoft points.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
wait wtf wheres the classic costumes

wheres the spinal gameplay

wheres ah fuck it

the announcer saying foolgore bothers me, it's fulgore damnit

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
  • No, really, you should at least have 1 of the initial 6 classic costumes in there at launch.
  • However, this isn't really surprising. But I agree with it being a bit disappointing.
  • Spinal... hey, no light in his nose in the "render"! Yat's good?
  • Fulgore's outline looks cool. SEE PEOPLE! YOU SAY YOU WANT DLC made AFTER THE GAME IS OUT, RIGHT?!? Here! This is what happens when it's not pre-produced! XD
  • It did a decent job showing off accessories...
  • It reused scenes from the old reveals... eh, ok.
  • SO MANY CAMERA VIEWS! I guess fighters like to do this.

It was a decent trailer. We'll be deep in and playing this game while more stuff comes out, so the sting is much less.

I always thought it was funny that this game offers a "Season Pass" with.... a majority of it's content coming out on day one. Classic costumes coming out over time legitimizes the far-reaching season a bit more... but I'd actually like to see them add MORE onto it, since these costumes we were due to get at launch are now post-launch. GIMMIE MORE! ;-)

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
No one has said a thing about fightpads. The Joystick is one of the first peripherals on the system, period.

While the lack of a 6 button layout is a pain, the default pad has a much better D-Pad, so people are probably not jumping into making replacement pads nearly as fast just yet.

No one has said a thing about fightpads. The Joystick is one of the first peripherals on the system, period.

While the lack of a 6 button layout is a pain, the default pad has a much better D-Pad, so people are probably not jumping into making replacement pads nearly as fast just yet.

It's not the D-Pad that bothers me it's just much easier to have a 3 button side-by-side layout, instead of using the triggers. I don't want a arcade stick just a good ol' FightPad. I loved using the Madcatz FightPad for SF4 and I also had something similar for KI on the SNES.

I wish they had been more up front about the classic costumes not making it at launch which it looks like will be the case. Not that I'll be able to play this any time soon lol. At least we got a little Fulgore tease.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
It's not the D-Pad that bothers me it's just much easier to have a 3 button side-by-side layout, instead of using the triggers. I don't want a arcade stick just a good ol' FightPad. I loved using the Madcatz FightPad for SF4 and I also had something similar for KI on the SNES.

Yeah, I understand the desire (After arcades died, was a pad player for YEARS before getting Joystick around 360 SFIV time, and then played all fighters on PS3 pad for a year before modding joystick), but I don't think there's as big a rush to make a "Fight pad" for next gen consoles at the moment, and was giving a reason why.

I wonder what we'll se first, 3rd party pads of quality, or modders making converters and custom mod pads...

I wish they had been more up front about the classic costumes not making it at launch which it looks like will be the case. Not that I'll be able to play this any time soon lol. At least we got a little Fulgore tease.

We also saw some stage design art teasers. Spinals looks like it might ACTUALLY be at a beach with destroyed ships at Kinda-night, and Fulgore's looks like it's in a whitish-looking area with a lot of machinery.

I may be a bit out of the loop here but is there a list of all the accessories that you can only get with the $40 version? I know they've shown a handful of them but I was wondering if there was any comprehensive list or gallery of images that has them all.

Also, in regards to the $40 version, are the 8 costumes the classic versions that I see being mentioned or are those separate?

Top Bottom