• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Streaks

Anyone wanna help a fellow fighter out and explain the ranking system at all? Currently I'm listed as:

Streaks -05-(Silver(maybe?))-04

I know the 04 is my current ranking, Apprentice. What does the 05 and medal stand for?

vid

I'm currently brutally stuck on Dojo 19 (Manuals). On the rare occasion that I manage to get the timing right so that a manual occurs, I can't seem to find a way to roll it into a linker. It seems like as soon as the manual happens, Jago just stops in his tracks. Advice?

Anyone wanna help a fellow fighter out and explain the ranking system at all? Currently I'm listed as:

I know the 04 is my current ranking, Apprentice. What does the 05 and medal stand for?

The 04 and the Medal thing are representative of your Single Player Rank, determined by how many Fight Titles you've unlocked.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I'm currently brutally stuck on Dojo 19 (Manuals). On the rare occasion that I manage to get the timing right so that a manual occurs, I can't seem to find a way to roll it into a linker. It seems like as soon as the manual happens, Jago just stops in his tracks. Advice?

The 04 and the Medal thing are representative of your Single Player Rank, determined by how many Fight Titles you've unlocked.

I actually skipped 19 and came back when I was done with the dojo, lol. The input needs to be really fast, so I would basically buffer it while the manual is coming out. I was bad at timing them but you still need to essentially act like it's going to hit and already have the followup done as it connects.

depth of mechanics yes, we know how the game works and we know where the games mindgames occur

regarding balance, balance is always volatile - a game could be completely balanced until one day a character has something ridiculously broken. its relative to what we know inherently, and as such yes it is more balanced right now than MK which has a lot of stupid problems. that said, pretty much any competently made fighting game will be more balanced week 1 than a game on year 3

Well I know from playing MK at a high level for years that it's a deep, rewarding game with the same mind games as any other good fighter. That's why it it was a staple of the tournament scene since release till the follow up.

Yeah exactly. We don't know shit about KI's balance...making that a pointless statement.

MK's character balance wasn't even that bad. Pretty comparable to most other fighting games. We saw varied results throughout it's entire lifespan.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Yeah exactly. We don't know shit about KI's balance...making that a pointless statement.
But what i was saying is it's not about knowing what the game will look like in three years because that has little bearing on how it will be played at evo2014. saying the game COULD be broken in some undetermined period of time is far more meaningless than saying, right now, no matter who you play, you can stand your ground. saying KI is balanced RIGHT NOW is meaningful because it's being played at tournaments RIGHT NOW.

simples

Banned
lol i suck at fighting games but got some wins on ranked by spamming back forward punch with sabrewolf last night

ill take it

Sdoots

Well, shit. Looks like I'm going to have invested in both the new consoles sooner than I expected. I love my PS4, but I need me some of this KI action. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Have they said anything about what characters we can expect in Season 2, or are announcements focused on S1 at the moment still?

deviant1

My GT is Ant78, if anyone is looking for some matches add me. None of my friends are playing this :(

I can't believe that Madcatz screwed up so much with getting these sticks out into peoples hands. I got mine on Nov 25th and those first 3 days I was stuck using the pad were aggravating. If I had to go any longer stuck with the pad I probably would've stopped playing the game.

Also, what's with the glitchy achievements and unlocks. I've completed the Dojo twice yet I still can't buy the icon associated with completing it, meanwhile I've only reached Rank 5 online and one of the Rank 10 icons is unlocked? I've purchased 2 skins for Jago, no Stylish Jago achievement? Seems so strange that something simple like achievements and unlocks would be this messed up when the rest of the game is amazingly well done.

But what i was saying is it's not about knowing what the game will look like in three years because that has little bearing on how it will be played at evo2014. saying the game COULD be broken in some undetermined period of time is far more meaningless than saying, right now, no matter who you play, you can stand your ground. saying KI is balanced RIGHT NOW is meaningful because it's being played at tournaments RIGHT NOW.

We're on week two. There's been no majors. At this point in MK's life Sub-Zero and Ermac were top tier. Nobody knows what the hell is going on now. If this is your logic then there's no reason to bring in MK, KI is currently the most balanced fighting game ever made. If KI is already figured out to the point that it's worth talking about it's balance perhaps it's not that deep. Silly.

Well, shit. Looks like I'm going to have invested in both the new consoles sooner than I expected. I love my PS4, but I need me some of this KI action. Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Have they said anything about what characters we can expect in Season 2, or are announcements focused on S1 at the moment still?

No news on Season 2 characters yet. heck we still haven't seen Fulgore in-engine yet.

oneida

We're on week two. There's been no majors. At this point in MK's life Sub-Zero and Ermac were top tier. Nobody knows what the hell is going on now. If this is your logic then there's no reason to bring in MK, KI is currently the most balanced fighting game ever made. If KI is already figured out to the point that it's worth talking about it's balance perhaps it's not that deep. Silly.
the infant weeks of a FG are incredibly important, and play a significant role in the game's lasting appeal. in the long term, it's possible that stuff like step guard from SC2 could come to light, but that doesn't make the current balance of KI irrelevant because more people are jumping on board than will ever likely be. people are asking about its competitive viability. for the record, there have been majors and local tournaments, some sponsored by MS and some not. if you live in MA, game underground has a ki tournament in two weeks.

the infant weeks of a FG are incredibly important, and play a significant role in the game's lasting appeal. in the long term, it's possible that stuff like step guard from SC2 could come to light, but that doesn't make the current balance of KI irrelevant because more people are jumping on board than will ever likely be. people are asking about its competitive viability. for the record, there have been majors and local tournaments, some sponsored by MS and some not. if you live in MA, game underground has a ki tournament in two weeks.

What are you talking about man? It's not even a matter of a potential meta changing glitch. Of course all the characters feel viable now. Nobody knows the matchups at a high level.

There's been no majors. That launch tournament Justin won isn't a major lol.

Each MK EVO top 8 had more characters played than are in KI total.

oneida

What are you talking about man? It's not even a matter of a potential meta changing glitch. Of course all the characters feel viable now. Nobody knows the matchups at a high level.

There's been no majors. That launch tournament Justin won isn't a major lol.

Each MK EVO top 8 had more characters played than are in KI total.
KI will be at NEC tomorrow. regardless of whether you've discounted the launch tournament, it had qualifiers across the country that were open to the public. matchups are relative. high level is relative. these things change over time, look at marvel 3 from spring '11, it's like a completely different game. you agree with this.
balance, similarly, is relative, and that doesn't make it irrelevant. people have been following this game since it was announced, DH has made mechanics public since day one. right now the game is balanced largely because each mechanic which was designed from the outset to work in tandem are working as intended. contrast this with p4a (a game i like) which had a buttload of mechanics, not all of which ( like the hop) which were as useful as they were probably intended.

i know you like mk, it's cool to get a little salty when people pick on your jam (ffs i main vf, no one plays that game). but right now it's perfectly valid to say the game is balanced. if we had to wait three years to confirm the viability of a FG, the scene would be dead by the time the results came in. know what i mean?

We don't have to wait 3 years but maybe waiting a couple months before declaring it more balanced than another game would be nice. Especially when the other game isn't like a one character game disaster and basically has a fairly average balanced cast for a FG.

Silky

Banned
We don't have to wait 3 years but maybe waiting a couple months before declaring it more balanced than another game would be nice. Especially when the other game isn't like a one character game disaster and basically has a fairly average balanced cast for a FG.

wow Jago isn't that good. Sure he's an all around character but nowhere near along the lines of SUPER HIGH TIER like others put him. Honestly, if I had to choose Sabrewulf would be highest ranked, followed by Sadira, Jago, Glacius, Thunder and Orchid.

At least until Spinal comes out.

T.O.P

Banned
So far for me is

Sadira -> Sabrewulf -> Jago / Glacius -> Orchid /Thunder

Sadira can completely nullifies Glacius zoning and spacing, my worst match up by far

I'm looking forward to seeing Crazy Dominican play Orchid at NEC. She's who I play but I suck. I want to see someone who's been seriously grinding with her.

.la1n

I'm looking forward to seeing Crazy Dominican play Orchid at NEC. She's who I play but I suck. I want to see someone who's been seriously grinding with her.

Looking forward to this as well, I keep hoping someone will show us that she is more viable than people think.

Phreaker

Did they fix it so you can invite friends in to games yet?

I get invited all the time. If my friends and I are in a party and one starts a online match I get an invite, accept, then fight. I don't think there's a way to send a friend an invite outside a party though.

I thought the fist number was your single player rank, the second being your online rank.

bumpkin

I know it's DH's first fighting game and they had bigger fish to fry than stat applications, but it's a shame they didn't offer something like Tekken.net for this game.

DrDogg

Orchid will always be top tier... just not in the actual game.

YincUqV.gif

6Wgxzf4.gif

0QgXppX.gif

T.O.P

Banned
From strongest to weakest?

yeah but more like "thinking as a glacious player"

Anyway, got my ass kicked from the other italian dude, first online Jago i saw using so many manual, totally caught me off guard with that :(

don't care though, awesome dude, we played for like 3 hours talking about ki and stuff lol

oVerde

Banned
yeah but more like "thinking as a glacious player"

Anyway, got my ass kicked from the other italian dude, first online Jago i saw using so many manual, totally caught me off guard with that :(

don't care though, awesome dude, we played for like 3 hours talking about ki and stuff lol

WHAT!?!? I can't even finish the Manual Dojo level D:

T.O.P

Banned
WHAT!?!? I can't even finish the Manual Dojo level D:

I was kinda shocked too, had like 3-4 matches where i saw people using manuals, totally not used to that yet

Also, spent some time in training after that and i tried to find glacious's manuals... No luck wth

Can't seem to get a single one at all, i had no problem with Jago :/

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
anyone else having music glitches?

i just went into game dvr to record a saved fight replay (a particularly awesome comeback where i turned a fight completely 180 against a much higher ranked opponent) and my recorded clip had no music at all. i actually thought maybe they had to drop the soundtrack when you record clips due to some licencing deal... anyway, it came back on before the clip ends after a combo announcement and i just chalk it up as a bug. then i find another match online and again run into the music missing for a considerable portion of the fight. weird. am i alone? an online issue?

Silky

Banned
anyone else having music glitches?

i just went into game dvr to record a saved fight replay (a particularly awesome comeback where i turned a fight completely 180 against a much higher ranked opponent) and my recorded clip had no music at all. i actually thought maybe they had to drop the soundtrack when you record clips due to some licencing deal... anyway, it came back on before the clip ends after a combo announcement and i just chalk it up as a bug. then i find another match online and again run into the music missing for a considerable portion of the fight. weird. am i alone? an online issue?

Replay mode in-game has a lot of bugs.

JMizzlin

I got the Combo Breaker pack from Microsoft but am definitely considering going all in on the Ultra pack. Any word on a cheaper upgrade to this version or will I have to pay the $52 AUD?

I got the Combo Breaker pack from Microsoft but am definitely considering going all in on the Ultra pack. Any word on a cheaper upgrade to this version or will I have to pay the $52 AUD?

Double Helix won't respond when people ask them about it, so it seems like a no for now.

mdsfx

I bet they are in over their heads. They are receiving countless requests for patches, new content, updates, etc constantly. This seems like somewhat uncharted territory for a developer.

Top Bottom