• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

DrDogg

You addressed the issues the novice players are having, which is great... but that doesn't help me at all. Also, your suggestions are, "take a risk" and "burn meter".

I will admit I can be a bit of a button basher so this could be part of the problem but if I know what I am doing wrong at least I can try to eliminate it. Ive done the first half of the dojo missions so I dont know if this pops up in the second half but my main gripe is. Say I'm in the middle of "trying" to do a combo it will all of a sudden be stopped and a sound is made and it looks as if my character is trying to block. WTF is this it is absolutely doing my head in and it happens all the time?!

You're probably hitting the right analog stick. It has three notations mapped to it and can't be disabled. If you press it left or right, you'll get the animation you're talking about.

IF the final result is an extremely balanced roster than it will have been well worth it. I am hoping the game we end up with in March will closely resemble what people expect from fighting games nowadays. By then we will have lobbies, 8 possibly well balanced characters, and a story mode.

I still think Glacius and Sadira need adjusting OR throw priority needs to be toned down.

Honestly of all the things introduced in KI I hope the ranking system is the part that doesn't receive any tweaks. I like that it's always dangerous even for upper tier players to lose their rank. If there is no real risk to ranked matches and you always retain your rank then that takes the intensity out of matches. Everyone would just be the highest rank in a couple months anyway.

The problem with the ranking system is that you don't get points for anyone more than three ranks below you, but you lose points to everyone. Also, the points you get for beating someone exactly three ranks below you is pretty minimal. It would take a good 6 wins to equal one loss.

This makes it difficult for people to rise up in the ranks because they lose points to the handful of people ranked much higher than them, and lose points to the people of their own rank on a 3:1 ratio at best (if you get matched with all people of your own rank). Since there are way more lower ranks, higher level players get matched up with them more often than not and get no points for beating them, but take a good number of points from them with each win.

Since very few people are moving up to the higher ranks, it's extremely difficult to get above ranks 10-12. All they have to do to fix it is give you points for beating anyone (even if it's a small amount of points), take a bit less away from losing, and don't remove any points for losing to someone more than 2-3 ranks above you. I'm currently a Comeback Kid (rank 12?) and I'll play 30 matches only to see 3-5 players I'll get points from.

From FB

1468794_268617429929482_727671468_n.jpg

That's actually from the Ultra Fan Book. It also confirms Spinal has a teleport and projectile.

Mononoke

Banned
This is so true and hilarious. One of the best things about having Kinect included in every box. It's a little window into the world of the crazies out there.

So funny. The thing is too, Killer Instinct like leaves NO ROOM for noobs. Like if you don't know what you are doing, or you don't have enough of a reaction time, someone can just go full on super saiyan and throw a million punches out instantly. A good player would know how to counter it (combo breaker duh), and then the match goes on. But if you are paired against a noob (like me), it's just a free for all. Thing is, I know how to combo breaker. But sometimes shit is going so fast I get flustered. I'll get locked out, and then the insta destruction continues.

.la1n

That's actually from the Ultra Fan Book. It also confirms Spinal has a teleport and projectile.

Spinal really looks great, DH did a better job than the original design. One of the few characters I don't think I would use the classic alt.

So funny. The thing is too, Killer Instinct like leaves NO ROOM for noobs. Like if you don't know what you are doing, or you don't have enough of a reaction time, someone can just go full on super saiyan and throw a million punches out instantly. A good player would know how to counter it (combo breaker duh), and then the match goes on. But if you are paired against a noob (like me), it's just a free for all. Thing is, I know how to combo breaker. But sometimes shit is going so fast I get flustered. I'll get locked out, and then the insta destruction continues.

I know that feeling, though i've taken time to practice my stuff a bit so at least i don't psyche myself out of something. I just got the game and system on Saturday and I've been playing it pretty regularly all week. Sabrewulf has been great, and i've been doing ok online, but every once and a while a Jago just comes in and breaks my mental focus and boom, i'm mind-fucked and out of a match.

Mononoke

Banned
God, I know that matchmaking isn't always one for one. But this is the 6th time in a row they keep pairing me with a fuckin level 6 or above. I'm level 1, come on now. I can't compete with these people. And since this game reduces your level when you lose, those that are level 6...have to be at that level to maintain it. So it's not like I'll get to play other noobs that reach level 6 just by playing a lot.

I'm just bad at it... love the mechanics and the presentations and everything, but fighting people is just me in the corner getting beat up. The controller issues do not help.

Are you having specific controller issues, or just using a gamepad for a fighter and all? I'm not a fan of the XB1 controller for this game, but it hasn't stopped this callus from developing... haha. If you don't want that stick, I'll take it, btw.

derFeef

Are you having specific controller issues, or just using a gamepad for a fighter and all? I'm not a fan of the XB1 controller for this game, but it hasn't stopped this callus from developing... haha. If you don't want that stick, I'll take it, btw.

I already cancelled my stick preoder at amazon so there you go ;)
No it's just me wanting to be good at fighting games, but not getting better at fighting games + KI being really a fantastic and frantic game. I could play the CPU over and over again, but that's not all there is to fighting games I guess. So just as a point of reference, can't get above round 10 in survival mode with anyone other than Sabrewulf.

No it's just me wanting to be good at fighting games, but not getting better at fighting games + KI being really a fantastic and frantic game. I could play the CPU over and over again, but that's not all there is to fighting games I guess. So just as a point of reference, can't get above round 10 in survival mode with anyone other than Sabrewulf.

I'm happy when I get 2 wins in a row and I'm only rank 2 and still playing. Let's play some exhibition matches.

So Amazon isn't shipping my joystick and I can't find one anywhere. How the hell are we supposed to get this thing now? They are $400+ on ebay.

If you have a 360 arcade stick already, trying picking up one of those CronusMax adapters. No word yet on how well they work (lag), but for the price I think it's worth a try.

Also serves Madcatz right that someone came up with an alternative to buying their overpriced and underproduced sticks people were ultimately forced into buying as there were no alternatives.

If you have a 360 arcade stick already, trying picking up one of those CronusMax adapters. No word yet on how well they work (lag), but for the price I think it's worth a try.

Also serves Madcatz right that someone came up with an alternative to buying their overpriced and underproduced sticks people were ultimately forced into buying as there were no alternatives.

I'd really like to know the if the latency is an issue. If not, I might do this. Also, haven't some people built their own sticks?

I'd really like to know the if the latency is an issue. If not, I might do this. Also, haven't some people built their own sticks?

Yeah, latency is the major question.

And definitely...If you know how to solder and have an XB1 controller plus an arcade stick, voila...Lots of people have done it successfully...I've never soldered anything so it's not an option for me..And once you pay someone else to do it, pay for shipping and parts, then you're starting to look at a price closer to the stick itself..lol

Timu

Really? I didn't even find it that bad, it's when you get to round 22-23 I think is where it gets ridiculous with any character even.

bumpkin

Really? I didn't even find it that bad, it's when you get to round 22-23 I think is where it gets ridiculous with any character even.
I think my record so far is like 21 wins as Jago (in Survival). The difficulty ratchets up like a mofo around that point and I'm lucky if I can even land a combo; get broken like it's their job.

outsidah

Have we heard of anyone making a fightpad? Rather have one than a stick personally and the one stick out doesn't call my attention.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Man. It keeps booting back to the Home screen when i try to launch. Need to try another hard reset :-(

Not sure if this is exactly like your issue, but the only time I had the game "crash to Home" was when I exited Crimson Dragon by selecting "Exit Game"... and somehow my ONE took that as "Turn Off system!" It quickly came back on, sure, but when I tried to play KI after that, it wouldn't work.

I had to reload CD, and then close it properly. After that, KI worked without a hitch. It's as if the system said "I already am running a game, and I won't let go!"

So maybe you need to reload the last game you played? Just one possibility.

Enordash

Encountered CDjr's brother last night playing on his account. He's the highest rank I've seen in the game personally. I took a game from him, but he beat me up pretty bad. I thought he was teabagging me at one point and got angry and cussed at him and I feel really bad about that, lol.

I'm having a ton of trouble moving away from Jago in this game. I just don't seem to click with anyone else. Maybe because I always played Ryu/Ken in SF or maybe because Jago is pretty simple with his options and I never have to do anything too technically challenging to get a win.

I am enjoying the Kinect chat in the rare instance people are nice, but it's causing me a ton of grief otherwise. I was called a bitch yesterday for zoning with Glacius, lol.

Synth

Orchid avatar (up for grabs!)
Orchid_Icon_zps40041077.jpg

Enjoy!

Sweet, I'll take this one! :)

I don't think I'm going to be able to play this using a joypad for long, it's driving me crazy. Does anyone know the best place to go for the Fightstick in the UK. Shopto has it down for the 19th, which seems to be the earliest availability (Amazon says the 31st). However they ask for your card in order to sign-up with them, and they're decline both of my cards (and both of my brother's) for some reason...

.la1n

I still think Glacius and Sadira need adjusting OR throw priority needs to be toned down.

I am starting to see this more and more. I agree. Sadira's unbreakable moves go against the philosophy of the game as well.

The problem with the ranking system is that you don't get points for anyone more than three ranks below you, but you lose points to everyone. Also, the points you get for beating someone exactly three ranks below you is pretty minimal. It would take a good 6 wins to equal one loss.

This makes it difficult for people to rise up in the ranks because they lose points to the handful of people ranked much higher than them, and lose points to the people of their own rank on a 3:1 ratio at best (if you get matched with all people of your own rank). Since there are way more lower ranks, higher level players get matched up with them more often than not and get no points for beating them, but take a good number of points from them with each win.

Since very few people are moving up to the higher ranks, it's extremely difficult to get above ranks 10-12. All they have to do to fix it is give you points for beating anyone (even if it's a small amount of points), take a bit less away from losing, and don't remove any points for losing to someone more than 2-3 ranks above you. I'm currently a Comeback Kid (rank 12?) and I'll play 30 matches only to see 3-5 players I'll get points from.

Completely understood. Funny, I thought DH / Microsoft kept telling us how great it was going to be for a fighting game to have simple background updates to fix things like this. In reality (so far) we are still sitting on our hands waiting for patches like every other fighting game / platform that came before.

Played this game a couple hours last night in ranked mode and had some INCREDIBLY fun matches. Won 5 in row and was feeling good until the Rank 3 matches put me at about 50/50. I do hope they change the free character pretty regularly, though, because I can only play against Jago so many times. lol

DrDogg

I really hope they make a lobby system at some point for this game so we can get some GAF lobbies going at some point.

I expect to see it with Spinal. Fulgore at the latest...

Yeah, latency is the major question.

And definitely...If you know how to solder and have an XB1 controller plus an arcade stick, voila...Lots of people have done it successfully...I've never soldered anything so it's not an option for me..And once you pay someone else to do it, pay for shipping and parts, then you're starting to look at a price closer to the stick itself..lol

Gave my PS360 stick to someone yesterday to have him pad hack an X1 mod into it. Only charged me $72, which even with the price of the pad, that's saving me $70. Almost half the cost of the TE2.

I also like semeitsu buttons over sanwa, so not having to add that cost helped as well (since semeitsu buttons are already in my other stick).

Encountered CDjr's brother last night playing on his account. He's the highest rank I've seen in the game personally. I took a game from him, but he beat me up pretty bad. I thought he was teabagging me at one point and got angry and cussed at him and I feel really bad about that, lol.

What was the rank? I'm Counter Puncher at the moment (rank 12), but the highest I've seen is Gate Keeper at rank 13. It will be a LONG time before anyone hits ranks 40 unless they make changes to the ranking system.

spannicus

Anyone wanna play a few rounds add me real quick. BlackStaus Red. Not high rank but i put up a pretty decent fight. Should do a Gaf Tournament

Chairhome

Not sure if this is exactly like your issue, but the only time I had the game "crash to Home" was when I exited Crimson Dragon by selecting "Exit Game"... and somehow my ONE took that as "Turn Off system!" It quickly came back on, sure, but when I tried to play KI after that, it wouldn't work.

I had to reload CD, and then close it properly. After that, KI worked without a hitch. It's as if the system said "I already am running a game, and I won't let go!"

So maybe you need to reload the last game you played? Just one possibility.

Thanks for the advice, I was able to get it to load after doing a hard reset, though.

Enordash

What was the rank? I'm Counter Puncher at the moment (rank 12), but the highest I've seen is Gate Keeper at rank 13. It will be a LONG time before anyone hits ranks 40 unless they make changes to the ranking system.

I believe he was a Gate Keeper.

Top Bottom