• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

I'm sure the classic costumes will be fine if they remain faithful to the originals, all these extra costumes and accessories however are really poor and IMO don't fit the game.

Most of them are too silly and are a complete mismatch from the rest of the game. There is no consistency.

It's like the modelers / artists couldn't think of anything good to make and so just said "Screw it, these will do".

.la1n

I'm sure the classic costumes will be fine if they remain faithful to the originals, all these extra costumes and accessories however are really poor and IMO don't fit the game.

Most of them are too silly and are a complete mismatch from the rest of the game. There is no consistency.

It's like the modelers / artists couldn't think of anything good to make and so just said "Screw it, these will do".

It's funny because in the KI art book you see all these great ideas for alternate costumes and accessories...that never actually translate over into the game. The additional accessories (for the most part) are laughably ugly and poorly designed. Reminds me of some of the low end stuff found in Tekken and Virtua Fighter but even then KI manages to one up them in the ugly/useless department.

It's really unfortunate. The game is a lot of fun and I enjoy playing it, I suppose that is why things like this bother me so much. I want the game to succeed but it seems like for every great thing the team does they turn around a week later and do something that causes me to shake my head. I know a lot of people have been quick to say that Double Helix has redeemed themselves, I can't agree with that just yet.

edit: and where is the comment about textures not being completed coming from? If that is the case why did they even show it. I have been wanting to see them as much as anyone else but if they aren't completed just leave it alone.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Orchid needs a green bikini. Also a tanktop with some next gen underboob would be nice as well.

So glad they listened to the community and put these horrid looking costumes in the game. Lets set art direction back another 20 years while we're at it.

Edit: sorry for the negativity, but I was really impressed with the redesigns, and new art direction, and then they whip this stuff out. That time could have been spent designing really cool alternate costumes, and instead we get these.

MANGOD

Banned
So im looking for more wisdom from some PLAYA'S. I want to extend my ultra combo's how do you do this?? I think my max is a 39 which is pretty pathetic when you can see what can be done. Discuss

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
So im looking for more wisdom from some PLAYA'S. I want to extend my ultra combo's how do you do this?? I think my max is a 39 which is pretty pathetic when you can see what can be done. Discuss

you can cancel an ultra by using instinct mode.

dish out the largest combo you can manage, then before its finished, start your ultra. before that is finished cancel the ultra with an instinct, then roll back into you r large normal combo before once again going into ultra.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
how do we get these costumes, do i get them with the 20 dollar version, im not spending another 20 for these

All we know so far is that they're included with the ULTRA edition purchase. Sor far, you can't even buy Orchid separate from the full game, and none of the premium accessory stuff is purchasable separately as well either, so it's hard to say what they'll do with these new costumes and additional premium accessories.

Actually, I think they're very "Rare". Gaudy, retro looking costume options that rarely look quite right, but can still be put together to occasionally look decent, and add a bit of fun to everything.

I don't think anything about it is really inconsistent yet, especially since there's no narrative to this game until Story Mode. A lot of what Tekken presents as characters and accessories seem no tot fit with it's outwardly gritty nature, but then it's narrative shows that the game very often likes to poke fun, boil things down to generic bases, and is often times very self-aware.

KI should be going for a similar personality, if it wants to be a game that can pay homage to all it's past features in some way. As goofy as a Humiliation, as serious as an Ultimate.

It's funny because in the KI art book you see all these great ideas for alternate costumes and accessories...that never actually translate over into the game. The additional accessories (for the most part) are laughably ugly and poorly designed. Reminds me of some of the low end stuff found in Tekken and Virtua Fighter but even then KI manages to one up them in the ugly/useless department.

It's really unfortunate. The game is a lot of fun and I enjoy playing it, I suppose that is why things like this bother me so much. I want the game to succeed but it seems like for every great thing the team does they turn around a week later and do something that causes me to shake my head. I know a lot of people have been quick to say that Double Helix has redeemed themselves, I can't agree with that just yet.

Most of what's in the artbook seems like the kind of thing that'll be more fitting for future seasons, rather than just accessories to pre-existing costumes, though.

I kinda wish they'd be doing something that made me shake my head each week... that'd mean we're actually getting weekly updates! ;-) For me, I'm just glad I have a lot to look forward to, all contained in that one $40 price paid upon purchase. I've gotten more than enough enjoyment out of the game to justify that cost already, and I've still got 2 characters, alt costumes, and accessories for those costumes to look forward to under that flat payment. Sounds good! Even if every part isn't something I'd like, I look forward to seeing others online make unique use of them.

edit: and where is the comment about textures not being completed coming from? If that is the case why did they even show it. I have been wanting to see them as much as anyone else but if they aren't completed just leave it alone.

I didn't hear it in my quick watch-over of the stream, but the ridiculous amount of highlight on Orchid's leotard suggest it's UV maps are still being worked on. Everything we've seen of this game suggest stuff is worked on until the last minute though, so this is pretty par-the-course...

As far as showing things "too early"... *shrug* SGs has characters with incomplete animation frames playable in Beta. The earlier the showing, the more of an "insiders first look!" feel given. I wouldn't want to see something this early made into a wide-spread trailer, but in a small stream thrown directly to fans? It feels like a backers-only video in a kickstarter campaign. Show me grayscale texture-less character models for Season 2!

In a way, the earlier we see things, the earlier we can start giving feedback, and hoping to get undesirable elements changed / modified / considered for improvement in future item releases. I'd love to see them start putting accessory sets up for votes, or letting the community choose a theme for the next round of alternate costumes,

Edit: sorry for the negativity, but I was really impressed with the redesigns, and new art direction, and then they whip this stuff out. That time could have been spent designing really cool alternate costumes, and instead we get these.

I kinda hope the faithful recreation of these outfits proves to old purist KI fans how flat an old KI straight-HD-Remix would be... and actually feel like the current accessories are little nods to try and add some limited design depth to them.

It's not like this damages the game by removing what's there, and forcing people who like the old stuff to use it. It's just an option for those that prefer / like what's being shown now. As much a cosmetic option as choosing a new background and badge pic for your profile. Fans of ReBoot and Beast Machines will finally have a fighting game that appeases their artistic taste and desires! ;)

I don't think cutting accessories or anything would have lead to time being redirected to much else, though. It's quite unlikely that the money or time saved on making a few texture and secondary model mods would have led to KI2 outfits, or anything of that caliber.

All that said, I hope they're saving some bigger updates for further-out patches. I really want to see things like additional /character specific win poses and quotes, new taunts, and alt particle / lighting effects added to alt weapons. Right alongside those No Mercies, Stage Knockoffs, and Humiliations.

malfcn

Got pissed with the game last night, but back again!

Anyone have the menus sound loud, and then the actual fighting and music goes quieter during matches?

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Got pissed with the game last night, but back again!

Anyone have the menus sound loud, and then the actual fighting and music goes quieter during matches?

I've had glitches where the sound doesn't work properly in matches. Either local or while watching replays, and more raily online itself.

I also had an audio glitch with Dead Rising 3 though, so I wonder if it's purely the game, or just something with the XB1 and switching resources between apps / OSs...

.la1n

Classic Music Matches Set 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3kcMg36-fA

Ever wanted to play the classic stage themes in the new game? Right now we can't cause they're locked to Practice mode only. If you guys want this, try to tell DoubleHelix to give us this option.

I hope they will add it, would be a nice addition considering it increases the stage count without much additional work. Not sure how that would work with the dynamic sounds though, obviously the classic themes aren't designed for musical ultras, etc.

remz

I hope they will add it, would be a nice addition considering it increases the stage count without much additional work. Not sure how that would work with the dynamic sounds though, obviously the classic themes aren't designed for musical ultras, etc.

Either the classic themes aren't dynamic (easy) or he reworks them to be dynamic (hard)

Kalm

I told myself that I'd wait at least six months before ripping into my stick...

...almost made it two weeks. :p

GpxYPkj.png

zPW2JHv.png

border

I am still debating between buying the $20 version and the $40 version.....especially since Gamestop will give me $40 credit for Ryse.

How good is the port of KI1?

I am still debating between buying the $20 version and the $40 version.....especially since Gamestop will give me $40 credit for Ryse.

How good is the port of KI1?

It plays well, from my time with it. To be fair, i only really played the SNES version, but, it runs really well, has a lot of cool bonus content, and it's another game with 1000 achievement points waiting to be had. I don't think its aged incredibly well, but i mean, if you plan on getting the extra cosmetic stuff anyways too, you might as well go for the 40 buck version.

border

It plays well, from my time with it. To be fair, i only really played the SNES version, but, it runs really well, has a lot of cool bonus content, and it's another game with 1000 achievement points waiting to be had. I don't think its aged incredibly well, but i mean, if you plan on getting the extra cosmetic stuff anyways too, you might as well go for the 40 buck version.

Can we definitively say that all the retro costumes are included in the $40 bundle?

I finally got myself an X-Box One and got myself the $40 dollar version. I needs me everything. Thankfully the damn X-Box Live servers came back up at 9:30 PM, that way I could download this game and mess around with it.

I just got done clearing out dojo mode. I not too big on the "challenge mode" combos toward the end of the dojo, but I found them to be easier than some other fighting games that feature the same type of superfluous combos.

Now I'm going to tackle the survival mode, so I can get memorize the feel of how Thunder plays. Then I'll tackle online and build up some KP for those sweet colors~

Kalm

Amazon still hasn't informed me about my stick. This blows so hard.

They must have really botched distribution and/or seriously underestimated demand.

Somehow, there was retail shelf stock available in Canada (and only Canada it seems?) at least a week before any preorders even shipped.

I serendipitously stumbled onto mine, in-store at Best Buy, on 12/03; the clerk told me that they had been on the shelves since 11/28.

When I got the stick home, my preorder from the very same retail chain was still listed as "Release Date: Pending". :\

How in the world can I use Orchid in Dojo mode? Is there an achievement I have to get (im guessing as I have the $40 version)? My highest combo is 54 hits (thats with 1 Ultra), I want to start practicing my double Ultras with Orchid (now that I mastered most of what I set out too) but can't as the game is only allowing me to use Jago in Dojo mode.

Thx

Durock

How in the world can I use Orchid in Dojo mode? Is there an achievement I have to get (im guessing as I have the $40 version)? My highest combo is 54 hits (thats with 1 Ultra), I want to start practicing my double Ultras with Orchid (now that I mastered most of what I set out too) but can't as the game is only allowing me to use Jago in Dojo mode.

Thx

You can't. Only Jago is playable in Dojo.

That Orchid classic costume is nice,thank god they chose original KI costume over KI 2 costume. Also did the original KI Orchid costume say "hot" on it? I can't remember?

beanman25

Gah. Loved KI on SNES, but am horrible at fighting games. Is the $40 worth it? I want to say yes, even though I'll get slaughtered every time I play online!

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I told myself that I'd wait at least six months before ripping into my stick...

...almost made it two weeks. :p
Very nice work, love the color scheme and that blue bat-top really brings out the KI arcade look.

Top Bottom