• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Not sure if anyone can help... got my sticks

Feel like theres too much throw on the stick itself.... does anyone know any stick that has really short throw?

hwalker84

<3

Anyway cancelled my stick pre-order, figured i can do well enough with the pad for now and i have a couple of more urgent purchases atm

Also, it's hilarious how easy i go from Contender to Gate Keeper in like every two days lmao
Having a lot of shitty performance days lately :/

I'm not a contender by any stretch I can hold my own with people at my level but I will go through phases where I'm getting mauled. I also cannot beat Sadira and I faced a Jago turtle that I couldn't deal with the other day.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
My thumb is seriously jacked up. I ordered the CronusMax last week Monday morning. That evening I received my USPS tracking number with an estimate date of this past Friday 13th. I haven't received anything and all the tracking info says is "shipping information received".

I wonder what's the deal.

T.O.P

Banned
I'm not a contender by any stretch I can hold my own with people at my level but I will go through phases where I'm getting mauled. I also cannot beat Sadira and I faced a Jago turtle that I couldn't deal with the other day.

Yup

Main problem is that the game seems to hate me at times, example from last night, about to hit again lv13, comes a lv12 Wulf (I main Glacius so i'm already crying), he pretty much murders me, well that's ok, he's damn good and if he puts me in a corner it's impossible for me to get out without meter, hope that i don't meet him again

Meet him 5, i mean freakin 5 consecutive times lol

I also tried Jago and Orchid to see if the match up gets any better, but i'm not that confident with them yet

Wich leads to lose rank, lose confidence and drop the game for the day out of rage

I really need to work on my patience above everything else, mind games can fuck me up pretty hard

That said, i got much better with manuals, starting to see a huge difference in how people go panic mode when the timing of the combo changes

Timu

1st Double K.O., lol.

iGemsFBxXcyhk.png
It kept doing that to me the other day, it wouldn't even let me play the game. To fix this I cleared the cache on the Xbone by holding down the power button on the console for 10 seconds. Rebooted the Xbone and I was playing right away, have not had an issue since.

IMO I believe this is happening when updates are downloaded, the systems needs a manual reboot.

I'll keep that in mind.

Just got my last Sabrewulf achievement, now all i need is 2000 matches and he'll be done. I do notice if i don't get momentum on my side with him quick, i tend to let myself get beaten up and lose a match, although I've gotten much better at getting combo breakers. Still basically stuck at rank 3 though, always 2 steps forward, then one step back.

DrDogg

After a mixup (dash/hamstring) you can keep the forward input held and it'll register as a the back input for your next special. I was just wondering if that's what people were doing.

Are we talking mid-combo? I just input the next attack as if I was facing the same direction I was before the cross-up, and it always works.

Out in the open, my next attack is either an auto-double or a Manual, neither of which require a back or forward direction.

I'm awful and those were the first two linkers I learned to break consistently on reaction.

You don't find that only having two strength options -- original and heavy -- makes them super easy to break? The base versions are pretty slow and the way that extra hits are added for the heavy versions creates this very noticeable pause, mid-animation.

For Ragged Edge, I find it impossible to break Lights on reaction because by the time I can actually see that there won't be a follow-up hit, the window is closed.

A heavy Ragged Edge linker is a guaranteed break against anyone good. Because of this, you are limited to only light and medium, which basically means it's no different than the Jumping Slash and Hamstring linkers, except that it's a lot slower than either of those.

With the two linkers I use, first you have to know that Hamstring is light and Jumping Slash is medium, then you have to have really good reactions to break the heavy when you see the second hit. It's far more difficult to break the lights, and since Hamstring crosses up, I like to use it for resets or to use the wall splat ender for shenanigans.

I have no issues with people breaking either linker with any kind of consistency.

Anyways I was sinning a match against Apex Cove when he quit . I sent him a message asking why he quit and he said the match was over and he had been matched into another fight. I laughed and uploaded a clip showing otherwise.

The game sometimes desyncs online. To you it seemed like the opponent quit early, but to him it seemed like the match finished like normal.

We're all patiently waiting for this stick. I'm probably going to end up cancelling my preorder and modding a stick so Madcatz doesn't get any of my money.

I canceled my Amazon pre-order, but still have my two GameStop pre-orders. However, I have my PS360 stick out to be modded at the moment. Should be done within the next couple of days. Once I have it in-hand, I'll cancel my GameStop pre-orders as well.

I am ready... I need a date for Spinal.

Also, it's hilarious how easy i go from Contender to Gate Keeper in like every two days lmao
Having a lot of shitty performance days lately :/

I move between Ladder Climber and Counter Puncher. My problem is that almost everyone at the higher levels is playing either Glacius or Sadira, Sabrewulf's worst match-ups. It's a pain. I haven't dropped below Ladder Climber in a long time though.

Main problem is that the game seems to hate me at times, example from last night, about to hit again lv13, comes a lv12 Wulf (I main Glacius so i'm already crying), he pretty much murders me, well that's ok, he's damn good and if he puts me in a corner it's impossible for me to get out without meter, hope that i don't meet him again

Meet him 5, i mean freakin 5 consecutive times lol

I also tried Jago and Orchid to see if the match up gets any better, but i'm not that confident with them yet

Glacius beats Sabrewulf. If you're losing that match-up or think it's in Sabrewulf's favor, you don't know the match-up well-enough yet. I don't know a single, good Sabrewulf player who thinks Sabrewulf wins that match-up other than Tom Brady, but I've never seen him play and he didn't make top 8 at NEC so I don't know how good he is.

Once Sabrewulf is in, you have Puddle Punch, Shadow Puddle Punch, Instinct mode, a throw or a Combo Breaker to get him back out to full screen. Granted, you have to take a risk, but so does Sabrewulf. His pressure is stopped by a well-timed throw or Puddle Punch. If he gets a combo going, one Breaker and he's right back out at full-screen.

At full-screen delayed Hail and Shatter makes it difficult for Sabrewulf to approach. He can't dash because Shatter catches it, and delayed Hail covers all of your attacks to make them safe.

I think the match-up is 7-3 Glacius, but at best people think it's 6-4 Glacius.

Whats up with the matchmaking in this game? Some days I find lots of people to play, others it will search for all day without a single person. Not sure whats up with it.

Southside Jim

Neo Member
I know this is a larger X1 complaint, but I really do miss the recent players list. Had a match with a dude who seemed cool. Couldn't event send him a "good game" message.

(Unless I'm missing something?)

hwalker84

I know this is a larger X1 complaint, but I really do miss the recent players list. Had a match with a dude who seemed cool. Couldn't event send him a "good game" message.

(Unless I'm missing something?)

There's gotta be someway since this guy I played sent me an invite somehow a few matches later.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hey guys, my friend played a guy with the gamertag "T3XRR46X". The guy said he was Filthierich. Couldn't find any info on it- is that him?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
just got matched against a level 13 (i'm level 4 btw). after landing an early fireball and a decent combo (~30%) without getting touched the fucker quit on me. lame. i wanted his head as a trophy on my wall. fix this double helix.

remz

just got matched against a level 13 (i'm level 4 btw). after landing an early fireball and a decent combo (~30%) without getting touched the fucker quit on me. lame. i wanted his head as a trophy on my wall. fix this double helix.

It's so hard to rank past like 8 for me because pretty much everyone higher than that pulls the plug when things look dangerous SIGH

dankir

First off Dojo trail #32 is fucking long, I thought it was just two combos' turns out its like 10.
But finally finished it thanks to the TE2 stick.

Just got it today and it made it much easier than using the XB1 controller, which to be honest isn't too shabby.

Shame you can't use old TE sticks on the XB1 it makes a huge difference.

add me if you want to play online
Live gamertag: Donker

Tenck

I canceled my Amazon pre-order, but still have my two GameStop pre-orders. However, I have my PS360 stick out to be modded at the moment. Should be done within the next couple of days. Once I have it in-hand, I'll cancel my GameStop pre-orders as well.

Who's modding it for you? If someone can do it for me I'd rather have that be done. I don't have a soldering gun on me right now.

Kalm

DAMN. I love it. Thanks for sharing. How did you like the mod experience?

It was really, really good. The LED board is amazing on a stock stick.

Once I had the art and hardware in-hand, it took less than five minutes to swap everything out.

A+.

Not sure if anyone can help... got my sticks

Feel like theres too much throw on the stick itself.... does anyone know any stick that has really short throw?

Have you ever tried a bat-top on a JLF?

You can grip them much lower on the shaft which kind of gives the illusion of a shorter throw.

It's probably worth a shot before you completely swap out the stick. I think my bat-top was $4 from Focus Attack's Canadian affiliate here in Vancouver.

Are we talking mid-combo? I just input the next attack as if I was facing the same direction I was before the cross-up, and it always works.

I honestly didn't even think that would work. Thanks, mate.

I'll try this out when I get home tonight.

Out in the open, my next attack is either an auto-double or a Manual, neither of which require a back or forward direction.

Obviously, but autos/manuals come out fine even with charged directional inputs.

My input read-out for a theoretical double-Hamstring combo looks like this:

* I replaced contextual Back/Forward with actual Left/Right stick positions to make it less confusing than it already is.
** Bold indicates the directional input I'm charging and Underlined indicates for how long.

(Left -> Right -> LK) -> MP -> (Down-Left -> LK) -> MK -> (Up -> HP)
Hamstring Opener--> Auto-> Hamstring Linker-> Auto -> Eclipse Ender

Basically, I'm just eliminating superfluous stick movements. Am I doing it wrong? Does anyone else play Sabrewulf like this?

I've tried letting the stick reset during the autos but it completely f*cks my rhythm.

From a design and playstyle standpoint, 'Wulf should be my favourite character...but I feel like years of shoto muscle memory is actually preventing me from using him comfortably. Sucks :(

T.O.P

Banned
Why does the announcer chant ONETWOTHREE sometimes during a combo?

It's a Shadow Breaker

You can break a Shadow Linker by pressing MP+MK 3 consecutive times, if you are doing it right (every linker has a different timing) you'll hear the announcer counting to three than the combo will be broken

@About Tom Brady, played him last night, his wulf is so freakin weird, yet i can confirm that i need more time before being able to get sabrewulf off my ass, both very close matches anyway, would love to fight him again tonight

vid

Has anyone managed to get the current "Good Instincts" challenge yet? It was bugged for a few days, but several people today have reported unlocking it. Attempts so far don't seem to be working out, maybe I'm just doing it wrong?

I'm under the impression that I just need to go into instinct mode in the middle of a combo five times, perhaps I'm misunderstanding the use of an instinct cancel here?

jns

It's a Shadow Breaker

You can break a Shadow Linker by pressing MP+MK 3 consecutive times, if you are doing it right (every linker has a different timing) you'll hear the announcer counting to three than the combo will be broken

@About Tom Brady, played him last night, his wulf is so freakin weird, yet i can confirm that i need more time before being able to get sabrewulf off my ass, both very close matches anyway, would love to fight him again tonight

I'm pretty sure you just have to press MP+MK on the "3" Not all three times. Can't check right now cause I'm at work ..

Kalm

For those of us looking to build up a KI-GAF friend list, here's what I was able to parse out from the gamertag thread:

KI-GAF Roster

(Last Updated: 12/26 - Added names are highlighted until next update.)

USA - PST Time Zone
Code:
Hawk269
Xander51
loadingDay
Rather Play PS4
Frank Nitty
TMONSTER473
Unsafe Simon
Unity2012
Heretic Soul
Vyse