• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

Kalm

Very nice work, love the color scheme and that blue bat-top really brings out the KI arcade look.

Thanks! :D

I actually started out trying to recreate the '94 cabinet art but I couldn't get it to look anything other than super, super tacky. After a couple hours in PS I just gave up and went with something that matches the table my stick sits on.

derFeef

Well, there goes one controller... it's destroyed.
Seriously, why can't I win anything? I love this game but man, it's bumming me out. Also 50€ down the toilet (controller), well done Feef.

It has to be heavy kick. You can input it pretty much all over the move to mess with people.

I still don't get it.
Samamish and then quickly heavy kick? Nothig happens.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Well, there goes one controller... it's destroyed.
Seriously, why can't I win anything? I love this game but man, it's bumming me out. Also 50€ down the toilet (controller), well done Feef.

I still don't get it.
Samamish and then quickly heavy kick? Nothig happens.

Nah, delay it. You can do it while he's landing, and there's no motion, just the kick.

derFeef

upload some gameplay, im sure some people in the thread can give you some tips/ideas on what to improve on.

I just did, should be available on my list.
Not showing up on my skydrive somehow so I can't upload it to youtube, retrying.

edit: one match is up. No idea what happened there even, felt like dominating even... http://youtu.be/Yi1E9I_W478
I don't understand what happened there at my last combo... I was in instinct mode, doing a combo and suddenly the other player goes int oinstinct interupting it? How?

bs000

Not showing up on my skydrive somehow so I can't upload it to youtube, retrying.

edit: one match is up. No idea what happened there even, felt like dominating even... http://youtu.be/Yi1E9I_W478
I don't understand what happened there at my last combo... I was in instinct mode, doing a combo and suddenly the other player goes int oinstinct interupting it? How?

It looks like you keep doing the same strength linkers and autos over and over. If the other player was paying attention at all they would catch on and combo breaker it easily. At the end you let your blowout meter reach 100 and still tried to juggle, so they were able to recover and start a combo before you recovered from your uppercut.

derFeef

Well I kept doing it since the other player wasnt breaking anything. I think I get the thing at the end now now, and I was trying to to do an Ultra anyway and it was not coming out. Same with my blocks - I hat my finger on the back the whole time during the first half of the match and it did not help :(
So that's not what lost the match imo.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
At the end of the match you did the axe ender which does a wallbounce, the KV meter shoots up which popped him out of the combo which is how he went into instinct.

If you were trying to do an ultra and do that, it only works when DANGER is showing. The white health being in that zone won't matter, the normal health has to be at that level for it to work. If you did the throw ender instead it would have wiped it out.

derFeef

Makes sense there, thanks, I don't know Thunder enough.
But why do I earn hits at the very beginning? I was pressing back the whole time. Really, the whole fucking time as soon as the match started - you can see me just standing there which is weird :/

Kalm

So, I put some serious time into 'Wulf today after about a week of Orchid.

Does anyone else have trouble with his (pseudo) charge-style inputs?

I get that they're technically easier to input but I'm a shoto guy and I can't seem to get stuff to come out consistently after a mix-up.

Is there a rhythm? For example, after a dash or Hamstring opener, do you guys let the stick reset to center or are you constantly keeping a Back input charged for the next special?

For now, I'm getting by using HCF shortcuts (DB->D->DF) but I feel like there has to be a more efficient way...

EDIT: Also, am I correct to assume that 'Wulf's Kick specials are obviously pretty much useless mid-combo? Is this why the various strengths of his Ragged Edge special look so similar?

Marvel

could never
I suck at this game :( it's so goddamn good but my victories have been from button mashing.

I haven't played a fighter in years, so rusty.

Kalm

We should start up a KI-GAF Community Roster.

The X1 Gamertag-Share thread is kind of a mess unless you want to parse 350+ individual posts...

Something like this:
Gamertag: ss49
Location / Timezone: Vancouver, Canada / PST (GMT-8)
Skill-Level: Novice / Intermediate / Advanced

^^^ That's mine. Add me, folks. I don't mind getting my ass kicked as long as it's by a GAF member-in-good-standing. :)

This would probably warrant a new thread, if a full-member feels up to it. If we do it here in the OT, I'll keep a list post updated as it grows.

Some cool images of Orchid and Sadira here from one of the modellers.

http://regnan.cghub.com

Oh cool. It's hard to notice with the hood and the mask on but I'm pretty sure she's supposed to be Thai (since that's what she speaks). It's a lot more obvious with all the stuff off her face.

xjcPn1j.jpg

Silky

Banned
We should start up a KI-GAF Community Roster.

The X1 Gamertag-Share thread is kind of a mess unless you want to parse 350+ individual posts...

Something like this:

^^^ That's mine. Add me, folks. I don't mind getting my ass kicked as long as it's by a GAF member-in-good-standing. :)

This would probably warrant a new thread, if a full-member feels up to it. If we do it here in the OT, I'll keep a list post updated as it grows.

Actually I /have/ been meaning to adding that to the OP, but I can do a completely different thread.

DrDogg

First off, you're not holding back at the start of the match. If you were, Thunder would have been moving back. It looked like you weren't blocking at all the entire match.

Other than that, you need to make sure you do a proper Ender during each combo (any special with heavy), and you may not want to just do Triplax on a grounded opponent. If the Jago player had done a Tiger Fury it would have interrupted you every time.

This may help you a bit: http://www.primagames.com/games/killer-instinct/feature/killer-instinct-how-play-basics

So, I put some serious time into 'Wulf today after about a week of Orchid.

Does anyone else have trouble with his (pseudo) charge-style inputs?

I get that they're technically easier to input but I'm a shoto guy and I can't seem to get stuff to come out consistently after a mix-up.

Is there a rhythm? For example, after a dash or Hamstring opener, do you guys let the stick reset to center or are you constantly keeping a Back input charged for the next special?

For now, I'm getting by using HCF shortcuts (DB->D->DF) but I feel like there has to be a more efficient way...

EDIT: Also, am I correct to assume that 'Wulf's Kick specials are obviously pretty much useless mid-combo? Is this why the various strengths of his Ragged Edge special look so similar?

None of his attacks are charge moves (unless you count Overpower). It's just tap back, then tap forward and the proper button. If you hold back, you'll have trouble getting them to execute when you want.

I don't use the Ragged Edge Linker at all. It's too easy to break. I only use Hamstring and Jumping Slash Linkers. I recommend the following articles:

Sabrewulf section of this: http://www.primagames.com/games/killer-instinct/tips/killer-instinct-beginners-tips

This article in general: http://www.primagames.com/games/killer-instinct/tips/killer-instinct-sabrewulf-tips

Kalm

None of his attacks are charge moves (unless you count Overpower). It's just tap back, then tap forward and the proper button. If you hold back, you'll have trouble getting them to execute when you want.

Yea, sorry.

This is what I meant by "pseudo". There's no charge requirement but the motions are the same.

After a mixup (dash/hamstring) you can keep the forward input held and it'll register as a the back input for your next special. I was just wondering if that's what people were doing.

I don't use the Ragged Edge Linker at all. It's too easy to break. I only use Hamstring and Jumping Slash Linkers.

I'm awful and those were the first two linkers I learned to break consistently on reaction.

You don't find that only having two strength options -- original and heavy -- makes them super easy to break? The base versions are pretty slow and the way that extra hits are added for the heavy versions creates this very noticeable pause, mid-animation.

For Ragged Edge, I find it impossible to break Lights on reaction because by the time I can actually see that there won't be a follow-up hit, the window is closed.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
got stuck on last post 2 pages ago so reposting:
So whats the deal with having no trouble finding games one day and not being able to ANY (no exaggeration) another day? Has to have something to do with xb1 or K.I. I checked my multi-player network and it seems fine.

Just started getting into this. After some time in.dojo, I still.don't know what I am doing.

Anyways I was sinning a match against Apex Cove when he quit . I sent him a message asking why he quit and he said the match was over and he had been matched into another fight. I laughed and uploaded a clip showing otherwise.

Also, is it me or does Orchid, eeer, look like a transvestite? (Not that I mind!)

NO. Orchid is NOT a man. NOT!

got stuck on last post 2 pages ago so reposting:
So whats the deal with having no trouble finding games one day and not being able to ANY (no exaggeration) another day? Has to have something to do with xb1 or K.I. I checked my multi-player network and it seems fine.

try quitting and restarting the game. that's what usually fixes it for me.

.la1n

Oh cool. It's hard to notice with the hood and the mask on but I'm pretty sure she's supposed to be Thai (since that's what she speaks). It's a lot more obvious with all the stuff off her face.

Yeah without the mask and hood you can tell she has more Asian features. Gives me hope we will get a Kim Wu that looks legit Korean.

forgot to reply to this, but better late than never.

Big things that stood out to me were missing the combo breakers, and not finishing off the combos. Getting the combo breakers come over time though.

Have you tried using sabrewulf?

been doing that all day as well as switching to wireless and testing multi-player connection. Maybe I need to not just say xbox off and hard restart my xbox one?

Yea I would try that. The same thing happens to me, pretty frequently...but quitting the game usually fixes it.

This game sent me back to the dashboard at random...

It kept doing that to me the other day, it wouldn't even let me play the game. To fix this I cleared the cache on the Xbone by holding down the power button on the console for 10 seconds. Rebooted the Xbone and I was playing right away, have not had an issue since.

IMO I believe this is happening when updates are downloaded, the systems needs a manual reboot.

derFeef

forgot to reply to this, but better late than never.

Big things that stood out to me were missing the combo breakers, and not finishing off the combos. Getting the combo breakers come over time though.

Have you tried using sabrewulf?

Yeah I'm best with Sabrewulf unless I face Jago, this was my first online Thunder match, or my second can't remember.

T.O.P

Banned
Amazon.fr still hasn't shipped the stick, and they are showing it as In Stock since last friday

WTF

Amazon.uk still has no idea (31/12) lol

Tenck

Amazon.fr still hasn't shipped the stick, and they are showing it as In Stock since last friday

WTF

Amazon.uk still has no idea (31/12) lol

We're all patiently waiting for this stick. I'm probably going to end up cancelling my preorder and modding a stick so Madcatz doesn't get any of my money.

Top Bottom