• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

beanman25

After a few days debate, I'm in.

$20 version bought.

Really want to get decent with Orchid, any tips? I'm really awful at fighting games, so I don't know if there is much hope!

DrDogg

I'll be posting advanced strategy articles for all of the characters, starting with Sabrewulf:

http://www.primagames.com/games/killer-instinct/tips/killer-instinct-sabrewulf-advanced-tips

It's so hard to rank past like 8 for me because pretty much everyone higher than that pulls the plug when things look dangerous SIGH

While I run into my fair share of rage quitters, I probably only get 2 or 3 every 20-30 matches. Granted, I'm rank 12 so maybe that's why. People don't like losing a ton of points to lower ranks.

Who's modding it for you? If someone can do it for me I'd rather have that be done. I don't have a soldering gun on me right now.

A local modder. Once I have the stick back I'll let you know if he did a good job and refer him if you're willing to cover shipping. He charged about $80 for the mod, plus you'd spend $60 on a controller to use for the mod, so when you add shipping it may not be worth it for you.

(Left -> Right -> LK) -> MP -> (Down-Left -> LK) -> MK -> (Up -> HP)
Hamstring Opener--> Auto-> Hamstring Linker-> Auto -> Eclipse Ender

Basically, I'm just eliminating superfluous stick movements. Am I doing it wrong? Does anyone else play Sabrewulf like this?

I played like this at E3 and Evo due to muscle memory from the old KI1 days. I would miss my inputs more often than I'd like. Now that I have the game at home, I don't charge at all and it works fine for me.

Hitting the inputs in the original direction you're facing probably won't work if there's an Auto-Double between the Opener and Linker. I use it mainly when I go from a Hamstring Linker into a Jumping Slash Shadow Linker.

@About Tom Brady, played him last night, his wulf is so freakin weird, yet i can confirm that i need more time before being able to get sabrewulf off my ass, both very close matches anyway, would love to fight him again tonight

Assuming he's MK TOM BRADY on XBL, I played him last night as well. He uses Overpower pretty well, but otherwise he seemed very hesitant when we played. Not a single Counter Breaker and few attempts to use a Combo Breaker. I beat him the one time we played, but it was a close match.

*** A lot of these people specifically requested that you mention GAF when adding them. If you don't, your request might be refused. ***

But you can't do that on Xbox One. When someone sends a friend request it automatically lists them as a follower and you have to go into your followers list and add that person as a friend. It's pretty annoying, like many other aspects of the Xbox One UI. Not sure how MS messed that up so badly when they already had it pretty well done with the Xbox 360.

T.O.P

Banned
Assuming he's MK TOM BRADY on XBL, I played him last night as well. He uses Overpower pretty well, but otherwise he seemed very hesitant when we played. Not a single Counter Breaker and few attempts to use a Combo Breaker. I beat him the one time we played, but it was a close match.

yeah assuming that's him

Not a single combo breaker wich led me to waste like 3-4 combos in the match and that fuckin charge heavy hit (donnow the name) i spent like ten second try to understand how to get past that, Puddle Punch didn't work in that situation wich is weird thinking of his invicibility (he probably had the time right for when releasing the attack)

Anyway the more i play the more i think that in a game like KI matches should be best out of 3 even for ranked lol
You spend almost the entire match trying to understand how the guy plays and when you start to get it the match has ended
It obviously works the same for other fgs but KI feels so mindgames-heavy that i can't stop thinking about "oh fuck now i downloaded ya, goddamnit if only we could have another match!"

Tenck

A local modder. Once I have the stick back I'll let you know if he did a good job and refer him if you're willing to cover shipping. He charged about $80 for the mod, plus you'd spend $60 on a controller to use for the mod, so when you add shipping it may not be worth it for you.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for a reply from you now :p

RIP ;_; how did it die?

hmmmmmm I wonder, do you think they will put killer instinct gold on Xbox one next year? like when season 2 hits

it just shut off while i was at the dash...tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't respond... :(

already tried everything possible, the powerbrick just stays at a dimly lit orange vs the normal bright white/orange

So tired of quitters in ranked matches. I can't rank up when 4 people in a row quit on my rank-up match. It's a problem that seems to be getting worse and worse each day.

.la1n

So tired of quitters in ranked matches. I can't rank up when 4 people in a row quit on my rank-up match. It's a problem that seems to be getting worse and worse each day.

Yeah I hope they come up with a fair solution to that, seems like it's always right before I would be performing an ultra then bam, quit.

beanman25

Welp.

don't understand how to do combo breakers. Practicing against hard computer and lose every time, because they'll break my combo and I can't break theirs.

;:(

T.O.P

Banned
Welp.

don't understand how to do combo breakers. Practicing against hard computer and lose every time, because they'll break my combo and I can't break theirs.

;:(

It takes time to recognize what to break and if it's L/M/H

Stuck with the dojo for a bit and focus on breaking Jago's doubles, dude has the easier set to recognize, a good starting point

Add me on live if you want, we can try some online training and explaining while playing is much better :p

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i've rearranged my button layout where x=light punch, y=strong punch, a=medium kick, b=strong kick, and the right triggers and bumpers are 3x punch and 3x kick. it works, but now i can only break with strongs using the face buttons. pretty sure the right stick is button combos, does anyone know off hand what direction is what?

edit: vvv, thank you

sangreal

i've rearranged my button layout where x=light punch, y=strong punch, a=medium kick, b=strong kick, and the right triggers and bumpers are 3x punch and 3x kick. it works, but now i can only break with strongs using the face buttons. pretty sure the right stick is button combos, does anyone know off hand what direction is what?

down is light, left/right is medium, up is heavy

PSGames

Yeah I hope they come up with a fair solution to that, seems like it's always right before I would be performing an ultra then bam, quit.

People quit because the amount of points you lose is far too harsh. Reducing that would curb quitters imo.

DrDogg

yeah assuming that's him

Not a single combo breaker wich led me to waste like 3-4 combos in the match and that fuckin charge heavy hit (donnow the name) i spent like ten second try to understand how to get past that, Puddle Punch didn't work in that situation wich is weird thinking of his invicibility (he probably had the time right for when releasing the attack)

Anyway the more i play the more i think that in a game like KI matches should be best out of 3 even for ranked lol
You spend almost the entire match trying to understand how the guy plays and when you start to get it the match has ended
It obviously works the same for other fgs but KI feels so mindgames-heavy that i can't stop thinking about "oh fuck now i downloaded ya, goddamnit if only we could have another match!"

You're just taking too many risks. A Counter Breaker is a huge risk. I punish people all day for it. It's not even a mind game for me. I look at my health and the opponent's health and determine if I'm okay missing a Counter Breaker and getting hit.

If you pull of a Combo Breaker, I don't get any damage. I just have to open you up again. But if I miss a Counter Breaker, you get to start a combo.

Sdoots

I sat down and did the math, and realistically I'm not going to be able to afford an Xbox One and all that I'd need to properly enjoy KI til at least February.

Any word on if they'll ever have more of those fight sticks, or were they a limited run? If I need to jump on that as soon as I see one for sale, rather than whenever I have the funds for everything, I want to figure that out sooner rather than later.

Thanks for your help, guys.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I sat down and did the math, and realistically I'm not going to be able to afford an Xbox One and all that I'd need to properly enjoy KI til at least February.

Any word on if they'll ever have more of those fight sticks, or were they a limited run? If I need to jump on that as soon as I see one for sale, rather than whenever I have the funds for everything, I want to figure that out sooner rather than later.

Thanks for your help, guys.
Im basically in the same boat I cant afford to get an xbone till late Jan early Feb. I have a TE2 stick pre-ordered on amazon with no solid ship date yet. The sticks arent a limited run AFAIK, MadCatz cant make enough of them right now. If I were you Id just wait till Feb and by then the sticks shouldnt be nearly as hard to find. Check your local GameStops as well, lots of people have reported seeing them there.

malfcn

Now that I have the PDP mount the game always asks me to login, even when I am logged in. Is it because the camera still wants to sync something?

Mm and that feeling when combos drop because the game is chugging.
And my combos always leave a pixel of life on them, but of course they always get that extra bit on me.

sangreal

Now that I have the PDP mount the game always asks me to login, even when I am logged in. Is it because the camera still wants to sync something?

you sure you don't have a 2nd account logged in too? Also, did you go through the "I moved my kinect" recalibration?

malfcn

you sure you don't have a 2nd account logged in too? Also, did you go through the "I moved my kinect" recalibration?

Re-calibrated, but it's happened since the cover has been on the camera.
Just got out of a match where the game chugged to a crawl again, and then suddenly I get my ass kicked into an Ultra and it's buttery smooth. What is that about?

Happens every night that I play.
Will climb up with Rank 5, and then the game goes to shit and I fall down to 2-3.
Clockwork.

remz

Just got out of a match where the game chugged to a crawl again, and then suddenly I get my ass kicked into an Ultra and it's buttery smooth. What is that about?

Will climb up with Rank 5, and then the game goes to shit and I fall down to 2-3.
Clockwork.

Conspiracy: People fucking with their connection to trip you up and try to secure the win.

It doesn't happen offline, so that's my theory. My connection sucks though soooo.

Also! Ordered the TE2 and it's shipping now. Hoping it arrives before chrimas. I can't wait.

sangreal

thought maybe it had something to do with the controller-switching feature that uses the camera, but I just tried w/ the privacy screen and kinect turned off and couldn't get it to pop up, so I have no clue

malfcn

Is the defeat 6 different characters with a character achievement still glitched for people?

There are a lot of glitches with this game. Achievements and colors and titles and many other things don't unlock. Hopefully a solid patch will fix a lot of these little things.

Kalm

KI-GAF Roster = Updated.
Code:
LoopOfHenle - US - PST
Team Vernia - US - CST
AGENTREZA - US - CST
Donker - CAN - EST
LTWheels - UK - GMT
Gustavo83 - UK - GMT
daFeef - Austria - GMT +1
pock3tmonster - Australia - GMT+10
Full Roster can be found HERE (171 Current Members)

Thanks, guys.
:)

Jarlaxle

Is it just me or does it seem like Orchid is at a slight disadvantage in this game vs the rest of the characters?

As someone who primarily uses Orchid I would say that this is kind of true. She has a lot of good cross up moves and ways to get in but the priority on her moves seems to be lower than everyone elses. Because they come out so slow sometimes, it's hard to figure out how to punish some moves. I can block Jago's wind kick consistently but can't figure out how to punish it since his priority is higher than hers. This is my opinion at least.

Still, she's pretty much the only character I use.

Sushigod7

The other night I got ripped apart by a Saberwulf playing as Jago drove me to start practicing with wulf and damn he is fun to play with. Since 90% of the match ups are with Jago at low level this should be fun!

DrDogg

And my combos always leave a pixel of life on them, but of course they always get that extra bit on me.

Are you doing the max damage combo ender? Not all enders are created equally. Some do more damage than others. Which character are you playing as?

Clockwork.

I haven't had any issues with this at all. Are you playing on wifi?

Is it just me or does it seem like Orchid is at a slight disadvantage in this game vs the rest of the characters?

She can't be played in the same straightforward manner as some of the other characters. While I won't argue that she's currently the weakest of the 6, I don't think she's all that far behind.

This may help: http://www.primagames.com/games/killer-instinct/tips/killer-instinct-orchid-advanced-tips

.la1n

I'm off work today so I may try to catch the Microsoft Studios stream. Perhaps we will get a glance at Jago's classic costume this week. Hopefully with finished textures :p

ok so the last fighting game i played was one of the ps2 MK and i really want to play killer instinct but i just plain suck any tips/guides on improving in fighting games?

derFeef

WELL!

K5Kjsjp.png

Skab

Were the Spinal theme teases Mick posted on Vine/Twitter already posted here? I just saw it, but I figure I'm late.

Top Bottom