• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killer Instinct |OT| New Look! New Moves! Same Killer Grooves!

.la1n

I am not sure what the time frame has been between Ultra users getting costumes / accessories vs them being available to purchase separately. I think a few weeks perhaps? Of course everything still isn't available as an individual purchase yet but it sounds like they are starting to get the hang of things and will be updating more regularly. I know they had mentioned having something for us every week moving forward (even if it is small things.) If they manage to do that then it would be pretty great and shows that the new method of delivering content is better than the old way of having something finished as DLC then waiting months for it to be pushed through Xbox Live / PSN.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Aye, I'd much prefer the idea of waiting a few weeks / a month or 2 for setup.. and then getting weeks of content delivered constantly. It makes it feel as if development is created as a reaction to community desires, rather than just pre-made ideas being presented to us.

Also like the idea of paying up-front, and then getting the content early, and directly downloaded to you as time goes on. KI's little evolutions right under my nose have been enjoyable, and it makes the game feel pretty alive.

Kriaser

Anyone got some tips on how to fight Sadira in a neutral setting as Jago? I know how to keep pressure once I get a knock down, but how about some neutral game tips?

.la1n, your avatar got mentioned on the stream yesterday ;)

edit: Orchid remix from Mick https://soundcloud.com/mickgordon/touch-me-and-ill-break-your

ij2yV84IJKTXw.gif

Skab

Are we sure that's a Fulgore tease and not a Wolfenstein tease? There are giant robots in that game too, you know.

ShinAmano

Quick and dirty review of the CronusMAX...it is awesome.

Only gripe...cant figure out how to get a party started on player 2 controller so I can chat outside of Kinect.

Jarlaxle

Played some guy who was outrageous last night. I haven't played in awhile so I just wanted to play a little non-ranked. Since all I do is play Orchid, I switched it up and started with Jago. I finish him by throwing him and that's when he starts ranting about what a cheap ass I am for throwing and how he bet I would rage quit. Is it still called rage quitting if you win a match and leave after its over? lol. Anyways, I switch over to Orchid and wreck him and he's still talking massive shit about how bad I am and so forth. He says it was close so I decide to play one more and put him in his place. I get the Supreme victory and he's literally screaming at me the entire match and calling me a rage quitter which I still don't understand. Then he starts telling me how the character he's been using is not his main and that he would mop the floor with me, etc. I'd had enough abuse by this point and decided to leave with him screaming the whole way.

I'm not great at this game but I'm always congenial online. Why do people act like this? It put me in such a bad mood I just turned the game off. Why is throwing considered cheap? Isn't that part of the game? So frustrating when people make up arbitrary rules that they feel should be adhered to in a game. Ugh.

Sorry for the rant.

I'm not great at this game but I'm always congenial online. Why do people act like this? It put me in such a bad mood I just turned the game off. Why is throwing considered cheap? Isn't that part of the game? So frustrating when people make up arbitrary rules that they feel should be adhered to in a game. Ugh.

Sorry for the rant.

They need to rationalize why they lost. If you weren't throwing they would have blamed it on something else, like "STOP COMBO BREAKING ME YOU SUCK." Don't worry about it man, some people just can't accept loss and need to blame it on everyone else but themselves.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Played some guy who was outrageous last night. I haven't played in awhile so I just wanted to play a little non-ranked. Since all I do is play Orchid, I switched it up and started with Jago. I finish him by throwing him and that's when he starts ranting about what a cheap ass I am for throwing and how he bet I would rage quit. Is it still called rage quitting if you win a match and leave after its over? lol. Anyways, I switch over to Orchid and wreck him and he's still talking massive shit about how bad I am and so forth. He says it was close so I decide to play one more and put him in his place. I get the Supreme victory and he's literally screaming at me the entire match and calling me a rage quitter which I still don't understand. Then he starts telling me how the character he's been using is not his main and that he would mop the floor with me, etc. I'd had enough abuse by this point and decided to leave with him screaming the whole way.

Sorry for the rant.

reminds me of a jago vs jago match where the guy screamed at me for "running away" the whole fight. i mean sure, i kept my distance when appropriate, but mixed it up with pressure as well. i also made sure to yell "run away!" every time he backed off to throw out a couple fireballs or escape my pressure.

it was an odd match. felt like i was playing against a child, but it definitely sounded like an adult. an adult tantrum.

Jarlaxle

That's what my matches were like. An adult child with a tantrum. If I wanted to see a tantrum, I'd wake up my 3 year old. Oh well. Thanks for letting me vent guys. I do love this game even though I will probably never be amazing at it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If only the fools would learn how to tech.

when in doubt, throw.

when you are playing a superior opponent, throw.

when you are close enough, it is tactically the correct move to throw. You time it right every time and at worst you tech and create space. It nullifies pressure. Any other move is a gamble.

.la1n

That's what my matches were like. An adult child with a tantrum. If I wanted to see a tantrum, I'd wake up my 3 year old. Oh well. Thanks for letting me vent guys. I do love this game even though I will probably never be amazing at it.

Isn't there a way to change Kinect settings to where you only hear audio from people you are friends with or do you have to set it to party only and just start a party by yourself?

Seems like the best solution, I used to mute everyone when I played games on the 360 because of the same thing. The problem was when I actually needed to hear my team mates like in Left 4 Dead.

derFeef

I never hear people, no idea why. Maybe for the best as I imagine all the shit talking when a jumping Jago beats me ;)
edit: I train on medium Jago CPU now - he's kind of a dick with those fireballs but it teaches me how to avoid it.

bumpkin

Quick and dirty review of the CronusMAX...it is awesome.

Only gripe...cant figure out how to get a party started on player 2 controller so I can chat outside of Kinect.
Mine came today, can't wait to check it out later when I get home. I'll be sure to report on how it works for me with my SFIV Fightstick TE w/ the PS360+ mod.

sangreal

Isn't there a way to change Kinect settings to where you only hear audio from people you are friends with or do you have to set it to party only and just start a party by yourself?

Seems like the best solution, I used to mute everyone when I played games on the 360 because of the same thing. The problem was when I actually needed to hear my team mates like in Left 4 Dead.

Pretty sure in privacy settings you can limit chat to friends only

Jarlaxle

I don't want to necessarily mute everyone as I've met some really cool people just talking to randoms. Just gotta take the bad with the good unfortunately.

Kriaser

im having some of the worst luck today

all my combos are getting broken on the first hit, despite changing them around every time. im losing 90% of my damage and still going to the wire usually.

derFeef

all my combos are getting broken on the first hit, despite changing them around every time. im losing 90% of my damage and still going to the wire usually.

I have had this happen, no idea how to deal with it really. Any tips from the pro's ?
I am guessing manuals?

If someone is constantly combo breaking me (right after first hit) I just counter break. Most people I play who ALWAYS combo break will continue to do it after the first counter break, and if you fail you might scare them into not combo breaking. What are you usually doing for auto-doubles? (Heavy, medium, light?)

i could counter breaker after first hit, but thats such a risk still. im just annoying its THE FIRST HIT

It's not as big of a risk if they constantly do it.

I have had this happen, no idea how to deal with it really. Any tips from the pro's ?
I am guessing manuals?

Manuals if you can time them, sure.

I can't do a manual to save my life so best advice I could give would be to just do counter breakers. If you're facing someone that always tries to break at the beginning of your combo then just counter break them. It will certainly make them a bit more hesitant after you lock them out a few times in a row.

Kriaser

If someone is constantly combo breaking me (right after first hit) I just counter break. Most people I play who ALWAYS combo break will continue to do it after the first counter break, and if you fail you might scare them into not combo breaking. What are you usually doing for auto-doubles? (Heavy, medium, light?)

I use everything on auto doubles. I don't have a set one I use ALL the time. The match in particular went something like.. medium, heavy, medium, light, light, medium? And he broke each one, right after another, on first hit. It's either he's godlike on guessing or he can react to manuals just as fast. And for him being only rank 6 or 7, I'm doubting that.

I use everything on auto doubles. I don't have a set one I use ALL the time. The match in particular went something like.. medium, heavy, medium, light, light, medium? And he broke each one, right after another, on first hit. It's either he's godlike on guessing or he can react to manuals just as fast. And for him being only rank 6 or 7, I'm doubting that.

Yea it seems like the best bet would have been counter break, especially if he was breaking every time. Some people are just really good at breaking lol.

Kriaser

Yea it seems like the best bet would have been counter break, especially if he was breaking every time. Some people are just really good at breaking lol.

Would it be better to just start a combo with a special attack after a jump in or same result would have taken place?

Like, just do a jumping MK cross up, Wind kick, instead of MK cross up, auto double

Would it be better to just start a combo with a special attack after a jump in or same result would have taken place?

Like, just do a jumping MK cross up, Wind kick, instead of MK cross up, auto double

You might be able to trip them up, but if I'm understanding you correctly then they could still combo break you.

Counter breakers might risky, but once you can learn to anticipate what other players will do they become incredibly easy to pull off (really satisfying too lol). Obviously as you rank up people don't always break/break at the same point in the combo, but I would recommend jumping into exhibition games to try and practice them.

derFeef

I wish I hade more buds to play this with online or on couch :(

Jago is my cryptonite, I hate him. Can I ban him from my game? Even survival mode? He is always the character that prevents me from getting a fight title, or making progress, or getting better.
Just went to a personal record in survival and for sure, Jago throwing fireballs beats my ass. I wanna die.

Delt31

can someone tell me how to punish jago's wink kick on block with Orchid? Seems like you can't. Yet my orchid slides get crushed on block.

Jarlaxle

can someone tell me how to punish jago's wink kick on block with Orchid? Seems like you can't. Yet my orchid slides get crushed on block.
That's just how it is. Orchid's priorities are really low. After Jago's wind kick I usually just backdash to a neutral position. Try and use the slide more as a way to get out of corners and across the screen and less as an attack. If you are going to try the slide as an attack, I recommend doing it while slightly close to your opponent. They usually expect it more as a distance move.

Pretty much what Jarlaxle said. There isn't a whole lot you can do to punish an extremely safe move like Wind Kick. Orchid's low priorities make it even harder.

Best advice I can give for it is to just bait them into using it, jump over it and then use shadow Blockade Runner to start a combo. It's reliant on meter but it's really the most effective way to counter it.

Crazy how small the community is when you look at title ranks, 500 needed to be at 10,000, 700 puts you at 4,000

love my bar now
zOJi4lC.jpg

Still think the major issue of this game is lack of options when getting up, so sick of wake ups that you cannot avoid.. let me roll like street fighter

Top Bottom