• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

legbone

Just played this for the first time this morning. Awesome little game. I love just about everything that Suda does. Now where is my Shadows of the Damned remaster? Or even just xboxone bc.

Justified

Game force me to reutrn to title because of maintenance. I just hope its not counted as a death since I was outside of the waiting room

Fury451

Banned
I'm not entirely sure why this couldn't be a retail game as of yet. Sure it's pretty rough and places, but that's usually the case with his games. It's a fun little game though, I hope it does well enough and gets attention. I also dig the presentation and design of everything.

Uncle Death is a great character too.

Herla

I had 3 blueprints in my inventory, if this maintenance kills my character I might be done with the game.

Audioboxer

i'm not sure what to think about this game

on the one hand it's f2p which i fucking hate which makes me never want to play it ever

on the other hand it has a skateboarding skeleton

I think as more people start playing the griefing will probably get more intolerable. Tons of high level players in low levels and bases getting railroaded constantly.

That is my worry anyway. Then no doubt those who sink money into the game will start to get advantages. It's why I tend to hate F2P MP games. Ends up with the whales making it so that those not wanting to spend more than £30~40 get pissed off.

For now though I'm enjoying myself so I can't complain too much. I'll just be wary of spending money once the store goes up if it does become apparent those who want to piss away money make the game tough to tolerate.

Sorry if any devs make a good game, I'm happy to support it, but am I fuck spending more than what a normal game costs 'just because' F2P.

KrebStar

Started playing this expecting to check it out for an hour or so, nearly five hours later and I was still playing until I got booted for maintenance. Hopefully that doesn't count as a death, it had been a while since I'd seen an elevator.

So long as the f2p aspects don't get crazy, I could see myself playing a ton of this game.

BigEmil

How they handle their shitty servers and resulting deaths could make or break this game for me.
Like everyone at the same time is downloading this and on etc stress overload on servers etc will get back to normal eventually just give it abit more time

Dandte

Hahahaha played through the first level, entered the elevator to get to the waiting room to end the game. While clicking waiting room...bam maintance...this is more "unfair" than souls ever was.

I like the game. Wish it would be a full price game.

Audioboxer

Hahahaha played through the first level, entered the elevator to get to the waiting room to end the game. While clicking waiting room...bam maintance...this is more "unfair" than souls ever was.

I like the game. Wish it would be a full price game.

Same. It's the kind of AA game that can do pretty well of it sells for $40 and has some DLC/MT support.

I actually wonder if it's going to make much money at all as F2P. If they turn the heat up to try and "force" people buying MTs I can just see people mass quitting.

The Tomorrow Children going F2P was a daft decision if you ask me. Fair enough it done the starter pack to try and recoup sales traditionally before going fully F2P. Too many devs just seem to be trying to chase the mobile market whales.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
UGH was taking an escalator to level 8 and got booted out for server maintenance. Had a full inventory of crafting materials, including some rare ones. Gonna be livid if all that stuff disappeared or if my main character's dead and I have to level another one to retrieve it.

Otherwise I've been really enjoying it.

The trophy requirements seem pretty ridiculous, though. 500 deaths? If you're playing right you should barely ever die, don't encourage people to play badly.

Fury451

Banned
The trophy requirements seem pretty ridiculous, though. 500 deaths? If you're playing right you should barely ever die, don't encourage people to play badly.

Eh, that's playing into the "so hardcore!!!" marketing gimmick that promoted Dark Souls. Considering they seem to be pretty self aware of that and taking the piss out of themselves about some things in the intro, I would presume that trophy is something of an intentional joke

Audioboxer

UGH was taking an escalator to level 8 and got booted out for server maintenance. Had a full inventory of crafting materials, including some rare ones. Gonna be livid if all that stuff disappeared or if my main character's dead and I have to level another one to retrieve it.

Otherwise I've been really enjoying it.

Probably to try and encourage people to buy death metal things and die and revive 500 times :p

The thing is without a platinum the hardcore trophy crowd aren't really going to give a shit.

I like the game a lot but I really think the type of player this game will appeal to isn't gonna buy a single F2P item.

I honestly don't know what they were thinking releasing this F2P. This is the perfect $30-$40 AA game. Maybe it would only sell like 20,000 units but they had to have had somewhat realistic expectations for this, right?

Audioboxer

I like the game a lot but I really think the type of player this game will appeal to isn't gonna buy a single F2P item.

I honestly don't know what they were thinking releasing this F2P. This is the perfect $30-$40 AA game. Maybe it would only sell like 20,000 units but they had to have had somewhat realistic expectations for this, right?

Yeah as I said above. Heck if the JRPG market can continue pumping out fully dub translated Atelier series and Neptunia series then why can't this game make a profit being sold traditionally?

It can, devs and publishers just can't resist trying to chase the whales. I think we are going to continue to see a burst of games better of being sold as F2P and then studios probably close down :p

Mandelbo

Yeah as I said above. Heck if the JRPG market can continue pumping out fully dub translated Altier series and Neptunia series then why can't this game make a profit being sold traditionally?

To be fair, if it wasn't free to play there's no way I would have tried to begin with. It's definitely proven itself to me now, but that's harder to do with a £40-£50 upfront cost.

Then again, that's what demos are for!

Audioboxer

To be fair, if it wasn't free to play there's no way I would have tried to begin with. It's definitely proven itself to me now, but that's harder to do with a £40-£50 upfront cost.

lol it would never need to be £40-50. £29.99 or £34.99 at release and then our online retailers would discount further fairly quickly.

It's the type of game that can review well for being quirky and then have GAFers sing its praises.

Let it Die might be an apt name if not enough people want to buy into F2P MTs :p

Alastor3

demos still exists? XD

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...

I don't know about a $30+ retail release or anything, but it could have easily hung with the ~$20 indie game crowd and looked like a great value. I agree that they're going to have a really hard time monetizing it as F2P unless they kill the economy as it currently exists. But the whole reason a lot of people are digging it is because the F2P stuff isn't overbearing at all.

Eldon

So I bought the storage upgrade till 50 but my bag storage is still 20. Do I need to go back to the hall?

Audioboxer

So I bought the storage upgrade till 50 but my bag storage is still 20. Do I need to go back to the hall?

It might be on a timer. Most upgrades are on timers like a typical mobile game. You can speed them up with those metal tokens.

That is the kind of shit we could do without in a normal priced game. I fucking hate artifical timers for upgrading the most basic of shit. Want to go from metal bat +3 to +4? Please wait 10 minutes. Imagine Dark Souls done that?

Sorry for going a bit ham but as a quirky game I enjoy I just hate F2P the more I think about it and what it does to gameplay mechanics. It's like a Tokyo Jungle for me. Something I could sink hours into but I'd rather have bought and own.

Shizuka

Does anyone know?

Can I play Let It Die offline? What do I lose by playing the game offline? I don't have a great internet connection in my room, which means I could login to get rewards and stuff, but it's not reliable enough to play online matches.

Mandelbo

Does anyone know?

You can't play the game offline (if we could, the maintenance happening right now would be less of an issue), but all the multiplayer's asynchronous anyway - you never directly fight other players, but they can leave enemies in levels for you to fight. You should be fine, provided maintenance doesn't happen :p

How complex is the fighting in this? From be brief playtime it mostly just seems like you mash R2 and that's in. I guess the variety comes from the different weapons?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
My own personal rule for F2P is 1) establish whether or not I like the game 2) evaluate the the economy for fairness/greed.

If I think it's a fun game and that the long-term economy doesn't seem too obnoxious -- then I'm willing to invest real-life money, for their space-bucks, up to the point of a normal retail price for a game. $40 - 60 or whatever is my value perception.

I think that is FAIR. And actually gives me far more control than gambling on most full price retail games.

The game economy being setup so that a long-term player might spend $40 or whatever is not greedy. Imo. It's fair to pay devs for the game they made. Especially like here, where the MT's aren't too bad. There are devs that do it wrong, but then that breaks Rule #2 and I don't invest in those.

Honestly I don't know what people exect -- literally a free game? lol talk about greedy.

Audioboxer

How complex is the fighting in this? From be brief playtime it mostly just seems like you mash R2 and that's in. I guess the variety comes from the different weapons?

The combat system is pretty wank actually. Almost plays incredibly awkward to try and make sure you can't really master it and still suffer tons of deaths. Variety of weapons is fun though.

Coda

Does this game automatically run in native 4K if you're running it on the Pro?

I can't tell honestly.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
If anyone has questions, feedback, comments, etc. feel free to hit me up via PM. I'm at PSX currently or else I'd be more active in the thread.

Evolved1

If anyone has questions, feedback, comments, etc. feel free to hit me up via PM. I'm at PSX currently or else I'd be more active in the thread.
How long is emergency server maintenance?

Lol. Seriously though, no questions at this time. Cool game.

Audioboxer

Great game and the production values and quirkiness is awesome. Don't take my F2P moans too close to your hearts. I just don't like many F2P games and would much rather stump up the cash to own a game. I wish the team the best of luck but I honestly have my reserves at just how successful some games will be going F2P.

Consoles just aren't the mobile market and it must be tough to make decent money unless you hook in some whales. With the amount of selection us gamers have I think most people will just move on if they get too frustrated with F2P mechanics. Like it or not if this wasn't a F2P game I seriously doubt you guys would have timers on upgrading equipment. No game normally has that. It's just a trope from the mobile games industry with the sole purpose to frustrate and encourage the spending of some kind of currency to speed things up.

That rant out of the way all things considering monetized options currently in the game seem really consumer friendly. That can be a double edged sword though as you do need to try and get people spending something...

Audioboxer

Worst weapon so far is the Firework Launcher

Yeah it is garbage tier. Any time I come up across any player enemies with a firework launcher I absolutely destroy them.

The big magnum gun is good though. I got one out of the gold box and found another. One out of gold box had way more ammo.

Bahlor

Evolved1

Worst weapon so far is the Firework Launcher
Lol that thing sucks.

I've levelled fists way up... like the idea that any body coming out of the freezer is formidable weaponless, right from the start. It's a nice fallback, to have those mastery buffs, that never go away.

Though I do wonder if this mastery stuff is indirectly trolling new players. My level for new freezer fighters might be real low, like a new player, but mastery levels buff attack and stuff. I wonder if this will be as bad as the Souls twinks.

Idk.

Top Bottom