• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

So I was kind of thinking of starting this but I'm a little intimidated.

Do you have to really be all in with the game or not at all? Aren't people able to steal your shit and stuff like that? Will it be not worth it to just jump in randomly to play every once in a while?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...

Do you have to really be all in with the game or not at all? Aren't people able to steal your shit and stuff like that? Will it be not worth it to just jump in randomly to play every once in a while?

Thats perfectly fine. Remember to use up all of your splithium before logging out and you are good. There is still plenty of stuff to do, unlock and upgrade even without the stuff that might get stolen.

Have fun! :)

delSai

As long as you use your KillCoins and SPLithium, no one's gonna raid you.

I would recommend logging in daily to get the rewards, but you can just play every now and then and dont have to worry about your stuff if you spend it.

Thanks guys, that makes me feel better about starting it!

Looks like this week vacation I have is going to be a combination of this and last guardian

Does anyone have any recommended floors for cloak shrooms? I used to get some on 11-19 expeditions, but these past few days I have had zero luck. Not sure if I'm just sending to bad rooms for it or what.

I'm about to just give up and go for slomo shrooms in 21-25, having much better luck stockpiling those.

Baliis

Any tips for the 23F boss? It's just sooooo spongy and takes so much to damage it. I got to about 20% of its HP, then the attack pattern change-up caught me off guard. Even cleaver saber didn't help too much.

Are you using mushrooms effectively? Go in with a couple of the shrooms that make you invisible and shell never attack you, plus a couple of the scorpion shrooms that increase your attack a ton and just wail on her. It'll be a little rough the first time since you're still using grade 3 fighters, but you can do it with some prep. I think I just used the machete mostly my first kill, went in with four rage and just spammed it on her.

Volcynika

Are you using mushrooms effectively? Go in with a couple of the shrooms that make you invisible and shell never attack you, plus a couple of the scorpion shrooms that increase your attack a ton and just wail on her. It'll be a little rough the first time since you're still using grade 3 fighters, but you can do it with some prep. I think I just used the machete mostly my first kill, went in with four rage and just spammed it on her.

I swear I have found zero cloak shrooms when going through the 20s, just very unlucky. :(

Uthred

Haven't had a chance to play this in a few days, was excited to see more stuff on PSN. Then I saw the price, €18 for the monthly express pass? Thats taking the piss. Thats more expensive than an MMO subscription fee with nowhere near the same content (the extra sting of paying more than the US barely registers). I've thrown about 50 quid at the game and I've certainly got my moneys worth, pity I would have opted into the express pass at a more reasonable price.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm working on a Rare Material chart. Anyone who has definitive proof of existence of certain materials on certain floors/locations, please feel free to post them. I am having a hard time finding anything of similar magnitude online.

So far, I have F11 GOTO-9 Boss drops Candle Wolf Green Metal. I have F22 KAWABE gold chest trap room is supposed to spawn ??? Black Metal, but I haven't seen for sure. I'll share the Google Sheet if anyone wants to help.

I don't care about the easy stuff - Cotton, Copper, Hemp, Oil, etc. I don't know if there's any real rhyme or reason to those. But the rare mats...

Also, I'm contemplating trying to put together a list of Expedition floors to have higher rates of things you'd want - Pillbugs, Invis shrooms, brain shrooms, etc. Going to start with the rare mats, though.

Hit 41 hours. I'm impressed at how much this game has grabbed my attention.

Syysch

I didnt get more than ~40k from a fight even with >5k points, so prob not if you arent raiding for resources anyways.

Fight rewards seem to largely scale off of rescues and captures. If you arent getting several of those, you're going to essentially end up with the base reward which seems to be 40k for winning side.

I have F22 KAWABE gold chest trap room is supposed to spawn ??? Black Metal, but I haven't seen for sure.

All black metals and i believe all green metals (sometimes equipment or coins).

Baliis

Fight rewards seem to largely scale off of rescues and captures. If you arent getting several of those, you're going to essentially end up with the base reward which seems to be 40k for winning side.

Oh interesting. I dont normally capture because it opens me up to being raided but maybe I'll try that next time.

NeoRausch

THIS IS A SUPER IMPORTANT QUESTION!

What is the song in the b/w title screen called?

Your know... That one that sound like straight David Lynch/Angelo Badalamenti.

I NEED TO KNOW THAT!

Neither Google nor Shazam gives me shit!

D i Z

Florida, Brazil, France. You're next. And if it plays out like it looks like it will, we'll get all three at the same time. Followed by the UK and Spain together. Someone needs to log a complaint where it will get heard before the fix is abandoned.

zelas

I didnt get more than ~40k from a fight even with >5k points, so prob not if you arent raiding for resources anyways.

All black metals and i believe all green metals (sometimes equipment or coins).
Thanks!

Am I crazy or did they remove the Her Name in Blood song from the radio?

Also Jin-Die's music isn't on there is it? (I don't think that one ever was)

My play flowchart in case anyone is interested. It kind of fell into place organically as I was playing, but it's fun to lay it out like this.

1) Start up PS4 (game is almost always on suspend).
2) Go to the freezer, accept prompt for returned expeditions.
3) Clean out rewards box:
- Retrieve single SPL rewards (why are these even a thing?).
- Retrieve items, cook / store / sell them as appropriate.
- If still over 50 items in reward box, retrieve SPL / money rewards below a threshold (ex. SPL rewards below 300 / coin rewards below 2000).
4) Pick a character, select a goal (typically reach an unexplored zone, either at the top or in the side paths), equip them accordingly, and go for it.
5) If successful, go to 6. If I died, go to 8.
6) If any characters dead, and enough money on hand to revive them, do so. Often, the money a character had in hand before dying (and that you get upon reviving them), is enough to revive the next one.
7) If all characters alive and money > 20k / 30k, retrieve enough money from rewards box to buy mushroom soup (like in point 3, retrieve lesser rewards first to optimize reward box space). Alternatively, if over 10k, spend money in armor and bank it.
8) Decide whether to keep playing (go to 4) or call it a day (continue to 9).
9) If anyone is still dead, revive them with money from the rewards box.
10) Send all characters on expeditions.

By following this method, I never have any money in the actual bank when logged out or even when I'm exploring the tower. The rewards box acts as my actual bank; any money on hand is instantly spent on resurrections, equipment, or mushroom soup. Since I'm consequently never raided (nor would I care if I was), this allows me to have everyone on expeditions all the time (I have 8 characters, so I send 7 out; you have to keep one as your playable character), which makes the system self-sustaining. It also allows me to quit whenever I feel like it, which is one of the most important things to me. :D

I just beat
Colonel Jackson
, on 20F.
He did so little damage that I actually had more problems with
the first phase of the fight
:D

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I just beat
Colonel Jackson
, on 20F.
He did so little damage that I actually had more problems with
the first phase of the fight
:D

F23 is the hardest boss I've fought so far. Get ready for pain, haha. What's worse is that he saw through my Invis shrooms. I suspect it was a glitch...One that cost me 2 DM because I was NOT about to run that shit again.

I finally beat the level 10 first "boss" guy. Now that I have access to different types of fighters, do they have higher skill caps? Should I be trying to get rid of the default all around fighters and buying new ones?

ironcreed

Banned
I already feels like a free to play game on the second floor as I keep running into a level 30 hater and I am only level 17 so far and am reduced to grinding before I take him on. Not about to keep doing this.

Demoskinos

God I need a better way of getting MILK Black metals. This run to the floor 22 chest isn't terrible but i've had some real bad luck. On one run today it gave me A FUCKING HOCKEY STICK. I was miffed at that one. If I get green metal I'm let down but I can still use it but a hockey stick!? Come on now.

ironcreed

Banned
Nevermind. I decided to brave it just to see how strong he was and he was actually not shit. I figured I was in for some 1 hit kill scenario, but I'm glad I was wrong. Good deal.

Baliis

Note to self, make sure my weapons aren't gonna break during a raid. Entire days worth of points down the drain cuz of that fuck up

Volcynika

Still trying to find cloakshrooms, so sent out a few fighters on expediotions for the next six hours and hopefully they'll bring some back!

D i Z

Nevermind. I decided to brave it just to see how strong he was and he was actually not shit. I figured I was in for some 1 hit kill scenario, but I'm glad I was wrong. Good deal.

Yeah, you can watch them, but you never really know until you test them.
A good 'get the hell out of there' plan should always be on deck though.

I made it to the top of the tower after spending the weekend traveling across the country on an airplane...Suda 51 probably wrote that ending lol. I'm happy with the game. I threw in $20 to support the game and used it mostly for storage, any dms for revives I pretty much got from login and quests. Gonna prep myself for jackal hunting soon. Tip for floor 40.
Get those fists prepped and someone with decent str. Alternatively I beat the sub boss by dropping down and picking up a weapon after spending a death metal. The twist at the beginning of the floor really messed with me. Made me spend the dm i got from quests.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, you can watch them, but you never really know until you test them.
A good 'get the hell out of there' plan should always be on deck though.

I kept seeing these higher level haters and just ran and figured I had to grind a bunch, but I am glad I decided to stop dicking around and went for it. Now I feel like it's moving at a more normal pace. I'm sure that will change at some point, though. I have only just beat Coen and reached the 4th floor.

Ricker

So I beat the level 10 Boss,secured the 11th floor elevator and went back to the waiting room...game tells me I can buy a new fighter but when I open the freezer,I have my 2 other maxed level 25 in there and then expedition and settings...I cant buy another fighter,unless I need to remove one and make a brand new one that will be able to level higher then 26...?

Lucent

So I beat the level 10 Boss,secured the 11th floor elevator and went back to the waiting room...game tells me I can buy a new fighter but when I open the freezer,I have my 2 other maxed level 25 in there and then expedition and settings...I cant buy another fighter,unless I need to remove one and make a brand new one that will be able to level higher then 26...?

You have like 3 or 4 slots when you start. Unless you spend SPLithium to upgrade the freezer to add slots, you'll need to destroy a character to make room.

Top Bottom