• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Innolis

I haven't checked this yet, but are the skill mushroom decals permanent? I wan't to build a poison eater, critical lucky star

Tingle

I probably can't be playing regurarely, so how fucked is my stache? Can it literally be plundered to zero?
It could be more or less be dropped to nothing, but by the time it gets that low, nobody would have a reason to raid you. You'll probably be fine if you keep under 10K. Just spend your money.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I probably can't be playing regurarely, so how fucked is my stash? Can it literally be plundered to zero?

I keep one of my currencies at less than 1k becuase I've heard that this doesn't allow people to raid you at all. I believe it's 10% of whatever you have on you.

ironcreed

Banned
Not your storage, just your coins an SPlithium.

To hell with that noise. Even Dark Souls does not pull shit like that. The game at the core is fun and I love the crazy theme, but I am not a fan of mechanics that screw you even when you are not playing.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
To hell with that noise. Even Dark Souls does not pull shit like that. The game at the core is fun and I love the crazy theme, but I am not a fan of mechanics that screw you even when are not playing.

Thankfully coins and splithium aren't THAT mecessary. Once you've upgraded your fighter capacity and bank stashes, all the currency you need you'll gather in a run or two through the tower. I regularly come back with 50k coins when farming. Just buy a mushroom stew and hope for a good decal at that point haha.

Tingle

To hell with that noise. Even Dark Souls does not pull shit like that. The game at the core is fun and I love the crazy theme, but I am not a fan of mechanics that screw you even when are not playing.
Yeah, the raid stuff really adds nothing to the game.

Demoskinos

I understand the reaction to the TDM stuff but like with Dark Souls and losing your souls eventually you'll realize it's not that bad and just part of the game.

Honestly it's not that crazy. You start making more money the further you go up and also the better gear you get the easier it is to go jack some other fools money if you need a quick 10k or something.

ironcreed

Banned
I understand the reaction to the TDM stuff but like with Dark Souls and losing your souls eventually you'll realize it's not that bad and just part of the game.

Honestly it's not that crazy. You start making more money the further you go up and also the better gear you get the easier it is to go jack some other fools money if you need a quick 10k or something.

The difference is that other players can't steal your souls when you are not playing, so no, it's not the same as Dark Souls at all. Mechanics like that are straight bullshit to me no matter how you slice it or dice it. I'll mess around with it a bit more because its free, but will likely drop it sooner rather than later.

Demoskinos

The difference is that other players can't steal your souls when you are not playing, so no, it's not the same as Dark Souls at all. Mechanics like that are straight bullshit to me no matter how you slice it or dice it. I'll mess around with it a bit more because its free, but will likely drop it sooner rather than later.

Again it doesn't matter because they can only take 10% of whatever you are carryimg. If you get a full roster of fighters and send them out on expeditions while your away whatever is stolen from you will almost likely be made up with expedition rewards.

As others have said you can also avoid being raided by spending everything before your done for the day. There is never a reason why you need to just let 50k coins sit in your bank.

ironcreed

Banned
Again it doesn't matter because they can only take 10% of whatever you are carryimg. If you get a full roster of fighters and send them out on expeditions while your away whatever is stolen from you will almost likely be made up with expedition rewards.

As others have said you can also avoid being raided by spending everything before your done for the day. There is never a reason why you need to just let 50k coins sit in your bank.

I still think it is a shitty mechanic to allow other players to plunder your currency while you are not even playing. As it forces you to spend it before you stop for the day out of fear that a chunk of it will be lost. Sorry, it's a stain on the game for me.

The most important part is that money your fighters get while on expeditions (alongside any other money / SPL rewards, like dailies), sits on your rewards box until you get it, and can't be plundered. I have well over 50k, probably closer to 100k, in my rewards box.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK just logged in and verified.

I logged out last night with 268 coins and 55k SPlithium.

Nobody raided me. :)

So log out with less than 1k coin OR SPlithium and nobody will touch you.

I still think it is a shitty mechanic to allow other players to plunder your currency while you are not even playing. As it forces you to spend it before you stop for the day out of fear that a chunk of it will be lost. Sorry, it's a stain on the game for me.

It's not for everyone. But while that part of the game is annoying, you can absolutely mitigate the impact through expedition hoarding (like Weltall Zero said) or careful spending. I also keep thousands of coins in my box for when I need to buy something. If I am fixing to log for the night and have 30-40k on me, I'll take out enough to buy a stew or something. It's just another aspect of resource management.

Demoskinos

Hey I can't make you like the game I'm just saying if you continue to play you'll see its not nearly a big a deal as your making it into.

Much like Dark Souls invasions, I can understand people hating them and thinking they have no place in a mostly single player game. But again, like invasions, it's obviously a very deliberate design choice made with full knowledge that it might alienate some players, and I respect that too.

All that aside, I don't think it really adds anything to the thread to stop to debate it over and over everytime someone realizes how this works.

ironcreed

Banned
Much like Dark Souls invasions, I can understand people hating them and thinking they have no place in a mostly single player game. But again, like invasions, it's obviously a very deliberate design choice made with full knowledge that it might alienate some players, and I respect that too.

All that aside, I don't think it really adds anything to the thread to stop to debate it over and over everytime someone realizes how this works.

I love the Souls series and don't mind being invaded at all... because it only happens when I am playing. Here it happens when you are not, which I am just not a fan of.

Anyway, sorry if you feel that my criticism of that particular mechanic should not be permitted in the OT for the game, but that's just how I see it. I have said my piece and will move on.

Not your storage, just your coins an SPlithium.

What about fighters? I'm hesitant to put everyone I have on defense, since I'd need at least a couple of good ones for revenge raids. I already took hostages, but I don't know whether the fighter is really gone on the other game then.

Are there any mumblings of this coming to any other platforms? The response seems to be pretty good. Disclaimer: I don't know much about it so if this question is moot, I apologize.

Demoskinos

I love the Souls series and don't mind being invaded at all... because it only happens when I am playing. Here it happens when you are not, which I am just not a fan of.

Anyway, sorry if you feel that my criticism of that particular mechanic should not be permitted in the OT for the game, but that's just how I see it. I have said my piece and will move on.

The thing is though how raids work don't change no matter if you are on or offline. You can't ever actively engage and stop another player the entire process is automated. Which is why I don't understand why the offline thing bothers you so much the process never changes

ironcreed

Banned
The thing is though how raids work don't change no matter if you are on or offline. You can't ever actively engage and stop another player the entire process is automated. Which is why I don't understand why the offline thing bothers you so much the process never changes

It's simple. I don't want things to be taken away by other players while I am not playing the game, lol. If it were just while I was playing, I would not even blink at it. My game progress should stop when I stop... period.

That's it, and other than that, I actually like Let it Die. But it is what it is and I am moving on from the issue. I still plan to mess around with the game a bit more as well, as I am having some fun.

Obviously there will be some latency and that list isn't realtime, so no, not necessarily.

Well I tried to attack one and it wouldn't let me because someone already had so that makes sense. But were they in the "Rescue" tab because they had captured someone or was it for some other reason?

audio_delay

Neo Member
Well I tried to attack one and it wouldn't let me because someone already had so that makes sense. But were they in the "Rescue" tab because they had captured someone or was it for some other reason?

I would assume so, it is just someone already freed the prisoner and the list is slow with the updates. It takes a long while until anything on the raid sectiuon is being updated.

Started this a few days ago after watching Jeff from Giant Bomb play on a stream. Really digging it so far! Perfect podcast game.

Dumb question. I've played for a few hours, got to floor 6 and recently got my starting character maxed out. I just had my first death (a stupid, stupid death involving getting myself boxed in in a narrow hallway) and burned the freebie resurrect so I'm finally starting to wonder what the best thing to do is once you've maxed a fighter. Set them up as raid defense, send them on expeditions, keep them in storage as a backup, etc. (Regardless of what I do with them, I'm pretty sure that it's best to start on a new one, right?)

audio_delay

Neo Member
Started this a few days ago after watching Jeff from Giant Bomb play on a stream. Really digging it so far! Perfect podcast game.

Dumb question. I've played for a few hours, got to floor 6 and recently got my starting character maxed out. I just had my first death (a stupid, stupid death involving getting myself boxed in in a narrow hallway) and burned the freebie resurrect so I'm finally starting to wonder what the best thing to do is once you've maxed a fighter. Set them up as raid defense, send them on expeditions, keep them in storage as a backup, etc. (Regardless of what I do with them, I'm pretty sure that it's best to start on a new one, right?)

Depends on your situation. But since you haven't cleared floor 10 yet, leave your fighter dead until you get the second level of fighters unlocked, trash him/her and replace with a second tier fighter

hyp

The most important part is that money your fighters get while on expeditions (alongside any other money / SPL rewards, like dailies), sits on your rewards box until you get it, and can't be plundered. I have well over 50k, probably closer to 100k, in my rewards box.

this is pretty much key in retaining money/SP if you're worried about being raided.

Demoskinos

Okay finally home from work today. Going to get some time in now. I'm halfway thinking I should just try to lie, cheat and steal my way to floor 34 any way I can so I can get Grade 5 fighters but also thinking I might just try the floor 28 chests for more black metals since apparently there are 2 chests in the one on 28?

Where do I accept quests?

It's the one thing I haven't gotten into. All I see is the list of accepted quests which is blank. I'm on floor 13 so I have gotten many quests but not accepted I guess.

delSai

Where do I accept quests?

It's the one thing I haven't gotten into. All I see is the list of accepted quests which is blank. I'm on floor 13 so I have gotten many quests but not accepted I guess.

Go back to the Arcade and talk to the Girl, thats where all the Quests are.

Tingle

What about fighters? I'm hesitant to put everyone I have on defense, since I'd need at least a couple of good ones for revenge raids. I already took hostages, but I don't know whether the fighter is really gone on the other game then.

I put nobody on defense. If anybody is going to raid you, its extremely hard for them to actually lose. But if you put people on defense, then they can be stolen. Maaaaybe throw a token defender to catch really bad players. Even if they get stolen, they will get rescued by either you or your allies in a few minutes, but they'll lose all of the items they held.

Depends on your situation. But since you haven't cleared floor 10 yet, leave your fighter dead until you get the second level of fighters unlocked, trash him/her and replace with a second tier fighter

Thanks. Working on a second one now.

I know the layouts are random, but is the 'structure' of the floors the same for everyone? The first stretch of elevator went up to 6 for me and I'm having a rough time plowing up to 10 (where I assume/hope it picks up again) without putting myself in huge danger of losing shit. (Finally got back to an elevator on 9.)

Edit: Oh, and one more dumb question: I've seen them talking up the huge amount of music in the game, but is there any way to actually hear it more often? I've loved the couple tracks I've heard so far but I think it's only been in raids? Edit edit: Weird, the last time I checked the radio in the arcade it wouldn't let me select anything other than the normal dour bgm, but this time it's letting me go between things, so yeah, exactly what I was hoping to find. I really like a lot of the songs, this kind of j-rock reminds me a lot of early 00s rock I listened to in high school.

Baliis

First mini (3) or first real (10)?

Train fight was a beast all the way through. Nice change of pace.

The floor 20 and 30 bosses kinda disappointed me, especially 30
was just a level 1 naked hater that I one shot then immediately into the boss fight? eh

D i Z

What does “Buy Mushroom Stew” at the “Mushroom Club” do?

Mushroom Stew is a secret soup that you can buy with Kill Coins at the Mushroom Club.
If you manage to drink the whole thing, you’ll find a Premium Skill Decal at the bottom of the bowl.

This seems to imply that there was once a fail state for drinking that nasty ass concoction.

DigSCCP

First mini (3) or first real (10)?

Train fight was a beast all the way through. Nice change of pace.

First real.
It was a very cool battle, all the way until reaching the boss like you said was a nice change of pace.
Besides that its cool that now the floors have new layouts.

Top Bottom