• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I finally figured out why I was having a hard time progressing though the later floors..

Apparently my own compulsion of creating a new character once I hit a Level Cap and always switching to a new weapon every time I master one to Lv.20 was causing me to die easily in later floors.

I finally beat the FL20 Boss today!

Syysch

First of all sorry for so many questions, and in advance thanks for who answer the next one lol
Is there a pathern for the floor changing places ? Damn I had a plan to open some "squares" today but then everything moved to other side or is missing or I dont know lol
Fuck this is so addictive!
Its destroying my "January Backlog Time" plans.
And bring it on Cali boys my grade 2 strickers are waiting for you !
Oh another question...what materials you guys think I should stock ?
I had an iron scraps need for so long, then I grabbed around 20 of them today, then I uped my hammer until the point where my iron scraps are useless lol

The floors change every day at like 00:00 GMT I think, there's something like 4 layouts it cycles through.

Materials you just need by floor. The bottom tier of items will need materials from floors 1-10, then once you push it up a tier, they'll need the stuff from 11-20, etc. If your primary stuff you're using is no longer taking a lower tier of resource, you can always dump them into other items to use them up, then once nothing is taking them anymore you can sell to free up storage space. I'd hang onto the blue/green metals though (if you're no longer using them to upgrade things), because some items at the high tiers will start taking those (like a red metal AND a blue metal at the same time).

Doesn't look like it. Apparently it unlocks for purchase at floor 41?

Ah, gotcha. I thought I'd seen it in her shop somewhere, I didn't know that's when it unlocked. Bummer.

Osuka is just for the snails right?

What's the big deal about the snails? Just easy healing?

They give I think it was ~4500 exp when you eat (or stomp) them, you can level new characters up pretty quick with them. I think it's 1 snail will get a t5 character from 1-35, 4 snails will get you from 1-66 or so.

Aselith

They give 4500 xp if eaten or 7700 kill coins if sold so they are super worth getting send all your dudes to Osuka on expeditions. They're money in the bank even if you don't need them for xp.

Some people will actually go farm them themselves like rubes. But you and I? We send the bots to do that work.

lionpants

They give 4500 xp if eaten or 7700 kill coins if sold so they are super worth getting send all your dudes to Osuka on expeditions. They're money in the bank even if you don't need them for xp.

Some people will actually go farm them themselves like rubes. But you and I? We send the bots to do that work.
Lol, nice. I might actually farm them. I need cash for mushroom stew until I get the treasure hunter decal.

Aselith

Oh, how do you send fighters to a specific floor?

If the floor doesn't appear in the list when you first load it, exit the freezer and then go back in until it appears. Have you been to Okusa? You have to visit before it will appear. It's floor 13 far right.

lionpants

If the floor doesn't appear in the list when you first load it, exit the freezer and then go back in until it appears. Have you been to Okusa? You have to visit before it will appear. It's floor 13 far right.
Ah, didn't have it unlocked. Heading there now!

Plot twist: Even with a fully-upgraded 2-star iron on a fully-leveled 3-star striker, going after GOTO on floor 23 was like whittling at a goddamn iceberg with a toothpick. And that's ignoring the fact that it hits like a dump truck and utilizes some nigh-undodgeable moves in its later phase. I had already spent hours grinding in the hopes of being able to make a dent in it so I gave in and bought some death metals to cheese it.

I've been pretty relaxed on my criticism of this game, but that's a point where it REALLY feels like a trashy pay-to-win game...

Goto is weak to blunt damage. So on top of the invisible shrooms and the sting shrooms, using a blunt weapon or a axe special a few times should make quick work of her.

lionpants

Ya, this snail run blows. Going to try and push to 41 for the treasure hunter decal after I craft my death burner.

Expeditions FTW!

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

Eating a golden snail gives you 4500 exp. So you farm them and use them whenever you buy a new character for easy leveling to avoid the grind of leveling them up by going through floors.

Ricker

I can make a rank 2 Collector that goes to level 50 but I cant make a rank 2 Striker ?...he only goes to level 25....why"...? I dont get this game sometimes,such an awful UI...I made some new fighters before by using TDM(Tetsuo) but I dont see the option there anymore...I have 3 extra spaces in the freezer but it just rolls by them when I hit R1...

I can make a rank 2 Collector that goes to level 50 but I cant make a rank 2 Striker ?...he only goes to level 25....why"...? I dont get this game sometimes,such an awful UI...I made some new fighters before by using TDM(Tetsuo) but I dont see the option there anymore...I have 3 extra spaces in the freezer but it just rolls by them when I hit R1...

When you first unlock the next tier, you only have access to two or three classes. You have to go up a few more floors before you unlock the rest. I think Strikers are usually in the first group though. You sure you're on the Rank 3 character tab?

Ricker

When you first unlock the next tier, you only have access to two or three classes. You have to go up a few more floors before you unlock the rest. I think Strikers are usually in the first group though. You sure you're on the Rank 3 character tab?

Where do I see this tab...in TDM...? the highest floor I can go to is 12...maybe 13 if I am lucky lol.

Just got this game and after a rocky start, I'm enjoying it a LOT. It really is the Hostel/Saw kinda game that I've wanted for some time, but I'm not happy at all when the tone gets silly. Like I hate everything to do with Uncle Death, he's horribly obnoxious and kills my immersion. I do, however, love that he calls through the PS4 controller. That's neat! Also neat? The iron Triangle finisher move awww yessss

But yes, it's like Hostel meets Dark Souls meets ZombiU and that makes me so happy c:

I just beat the first mini boss and started exploring the other track. And I just got a new character who can carry more stuff and I can't wait to get more into it!!!

Where do I see this tab...in TDM...? the highest floor I can go to is 12...maybe 13 if I am lucky lol.

I'm confused. Are you trying to buy new fighters? If so, you do that at the freezer. Tetsuo is purely for raiding, setting up fighters (that you already own) to defend against them, and to upgrade your base.

Ricker

I'm confused. Are you trying to buy new fighters? If so, you do that at the freezer. Tetsuo is purely for raiding, setting up fighters (that you already own) to defend against them, and to upgrade your base.

Yeah,trying to buy one...I will check the freezer again,dont remember seeing an option to buy one but maybe its full,even though I have 3 spaces that are empty,some fighters in defense of the waiting room,which does absolutly nothing since defense always fail anyway...I buy fighters with Kill coins or the blue ones...?

Yeah,trying to buy one...I will check the freezer again,dont remember seeing an option to buy one but maybe its full,even though I have 3 spaces that are empty,some fighters in defense of the waiting room,which does absolutly nothing since defense always fail anyway...I buy fighters with Kill coins or the blue ones...?

Kill coins. You use the blue currency to buy more fighter slots at Tetsuo. If there's an empty slot (should look like a TV with static) you can buy one for that slot. Be sure to press R1 to switch the grade of fighter once you get to class selection.

big_z

I need to clean the fridge. What materials become useless from the late 20's and up for upgrading?

The lack of a sort option makes it a nightmare

I used the Saber. Have that yet?

Will try that. Might be able to get it upgraded to +2. Does it work well for the floor 30 boss?

Finally started playing today, and just beat my first mid-boss. At this point I'm really not sure what to the think of the game. Parts of it are really fun, and in some ways it's really aggravating. The combat feels a bit too awkward for how the difficulty is set up, at least early on. I'm sure it's something you get more used to as time goes on. But just as of now I feel like there's a lot of jank somewhat getting in the way of a good experience.

Will have to give it more time

Aselith

I need to clean the fridge. What materials become useless from the late 20's and up for upgrading?

The lack of a sort option makes it a nightmare

Will try that. Might be able to get it upgraded to +2. Does it work well for the floor 30 boss?

They're going to be patching this hopefully soon so you might just wait.

-------------------

Man, people love that Okusa but Heimo Jima is some good shit too especially if you want to level your fisticuffs

Kill Coin / Experience / Scratch Metal Farm To get to 6F - Heimo-Jima go to 3F - Tamata and take the purple escalator up then the blue escalator up, if it is locked go the long way around trough:
4F - Shimo-Mariko -> 5F - Moka-Ikegami -> 7F - Goshi-Magome -> 8F - Dasahi-Machi -> 6F - Heimo-Jima

c/o ZeroSplint on reddit

What the hell did you just say about Uncle Death?

You have to remember this is a Suda51 game and is not meant to be serious in any way.
This is actually my first Suda51 game!

But also the main reason why I'm enjoying this game is because I'm taking it ultra seriously. I LOVE the gritty aesthetic and that everyone is essentially a hockey mask away from being an angsty and sewer dwelling Jason Voorhees. Like the detail of decals being tattoos? Brilliant stuff!!!

But then Uncle Death pops in and says unfunny stuff and then that immersion is ruined. I understand he's a large part of the appeal for some people, but "skeleton on a skateboard" was a half amusing gag for the first half second that it was introduced, but it instantly ran its course and I dread every time he opens his mouth.

Also unrelated, but I ran into some gamebreaking glitches, which is a massive shame. Still enjoying it though!!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Ya, this snail run blows. Going to try and push to 41 for the treasure hunter decal after I craft my death burner.

Expeditions FTW!

Thanks so much for the treasure hunter decal hint, guys. Makes the postgame grind a lot easier.

Aselith

But then Uncle Death pops in and says unfunny stuff and then that immersion is ruined. I understand he's a large part of the appeal for some people, but "skeleton on a skateboard" was a half amusing gag for the first half second that it was introduced, but it instantly ran its course and I dread every time he opens his mouth.

DHladydeathstare.gif

jengo

But also the main reason why I'm enjoying this game is because I'm taking it ultra seriously. I LOVE the gritty aesthetic and that everyone is essentially a hockey mask away from being an angsty and sewer dwelling Jason Voorhees. Like the detail of decals being tattoos? Brilliant stuff!!!

Also unrelated, but I ran into some gamebreaking glitches, which is a massive shame. Still enjoying it though!!

This is why I'm interested to play the Japanese version when it's out in Feb. I can't stand the Quest chick either, but I feel those kind of style choices were made at localization and not so much set by the Japanese Producer/Director.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Are the benefits even worth it? Same as the other ones?

+355% attack power. Still weaker than any weapon, but allows you to farm the 20s metal chests without weapons (except for haters), which saves a good chunk of money.

Aselith

Are the benefits even worth it? Same as the other ones?

At the very least farming that spot is hugely worth it. Spent about an hour there and came back with 18 Scratch metal and around 100k kill coins which combined with what I already had meant I got 3 mushroom stews out of it which was very nice

Buckle

Uncle Death is pretty much the norm as far as characters go in Suda 51 games so be prepared for that.

A lot of his characters are really over the top like murderous superheroes, evil pizza CEOs and mad scientists who put their brain in a tank (the dangerous kind). Theres an aspect of darkness to stuff like Let it Die and No More Heroes but its never going to be completely serious but rather a mix of that and weird and whacky.

lionpants

Cool, maybe I'll boost it tomorrow.

I don't get it, I defeated Coen on 34F and unlocked the shortcut back to 33F last night. But now when I go to 34F, I can't get to the Green Escalator that goes up without fighting Coen again. :(

Do I need to fight him again or keep refreshing the layout until the escalator is not near him?

Toma

Cool, maybe I'll boost it tomorrow.

I don't get it, I defeated Coen on 34F and unlocked the shortcut back to 33F last night. But now when I go to 34F, I can't get to the Green Escalator that goes up without fighting Coen again. :(

Do I need to fight him again or keep refreshing the layout until the escalator is not near him?

What you unlocked is basically a shortcut to the Coen fight, since you needed to go through 3 other floors to get there.

hbkdx12

Decided to finally take a break from grinding and push through the tower. Managed to beat both coen and jin die on 26 and push to floor 29 and few of the surrounding areas in one go. Felt pretty badass. Took them both down with 2 slow shrooms and one iron.

Grinchy

Banned
I was able to get to and unlock the shortcut for Okusa tonight on an unlikely run. There wasn't a single golden snail there, though lol. At least I could send all my fighters on expeditions there before I called it a night.

Toma

1 million downloads reached, pretty nice.

Toma

10 hours after I beat the game, I finally developed my first grade 4 weapon, haha.

Toma

toma: you've done in 10h whole game? no way?

It took me 170 hours or so to beat it. And 10 hours after I beat it, I finally developed a grade 4 weapon. I was just amused by how many different ways this game allows you to progress and by how much time it will take to max out everything.

Top Bottom