• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

luka

Loves Robotech S1
really fun game. enjoyed the few hours i put into it. love the music.

shame about losing my lv 25 char and floor progress to server failure

rip spicy girl

Audioboxer

Why does qutting the game in the tower count as a death? What's the point of designing the game like that?

F2P paranoia meaning a complete lock down of the gamer being able to do anything that is either free "quality of life", or exploits to gain fortune.

Executive director, which doesn't mean much. Hideyuki Shin is the director. It's his game.

Here's a nice Eurogamer article on the subject. Suda gets credit for most GHM games because the Suda51 "brand" is successful, but he hasn't actually directed a game since 2008.

Yeah, you're right. Just checked the credits of the game, and yes he's the executive director and not the director itself

Edit: So now the game won't even load for me. Well fuck this.

I really want to love this game right now, but it's not letting me.

Alastor3

F2P paranoia meaning a complete lock down of the gamer being able to do anything that is either free "quality of life", or exploits to gain fortune.

What are you even talking about?? This as nothing to do with the paid currency in the game. It would be too easy to just disconnect when something bad would happen or if you see a high lvl player in front of you. The game is just designed like that.

Took me like half an hour of repeatedly selecting "No" on the disconnect error screen, but I finally made it down 3 floors to the waiting room and then successfully quit to the title with (assumedly) all my shit intact lol. Hope they figure out the servers soon, game is fun.

Took me like half an hour of repeatedly selecting "No" on the disconnect error screen, but I finally made it down 3 floors to the waiting room and then successfully quit to the title with (assumedly) all my shit intact lol. Hope they figure out the servers soon, game is fun.

Oh. I just did that too. Mashing "No" seems to work.

DirtyLarry

Yep, count me among those that went to play, got through the tutorial and the waiting room, thought I was taking an escalator up to start the game, only to get some error message and have the whole game restart on me.
Well, it is free right?

Audioboxer

What are you even talking about?? This as nothing to do with the paid currency in the game. It would be too easy to just disconnect when something bad would happen or if you see a high lvl player in front of you. The game is just designed like that.

If your charater dies you need to pay gold to get it back. Obviously they want people using death metals to revive in game. If players don't have the pressure of making it back to an elevator by being able to quit whenever they want and resume later, then that lessens chances of people dying under time pressure/stress.

As for your last remark, so? It's not a full on MP game. Souls is a hybrid and people can play offline and/or disconnect when online if they choose. Those games save constantly or very often, so unlike earlier when I lost 3 full floors and one main boss of progress that would not happen in Souls.

I'm not wrong. F2P games are often designed around stricter DRM and manipulation over things in other games people use for convenience. Why? Well, charging for convenience is one way to try and monetize something that is F2P.

People argued Diablo 3 was "just designed" the way it was. The console versions made PC arguments look silly. Sorry, but I'll forever bash daft online DRM policies in games. Especially if you lose progress of no fault of your own. Hitman was another atrocious example lately of kicking you out of a largely SP experience due to an online connection being cut. It's just unacceptable in this day and age for developers not to have more foresight and learn how to handle server issues better.

Seems like it's working now for me. Just went through 2 load screens and didn't a error. Talked to phone chick and didn't get an error.

Woohoo!!

Seems they fixed a login issue around an hour ago. This was likely the cause. The game now seems normal again. Just checked a store and backed out teen timed in a row. No issue.

Just 5 min ago I would get an error 9/10 times.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Wish Suda could make a game that employed all of the aesthetic the title screens and everything without the core game being eh
Yeah, really wish a studio like From would collaborate, take care of the gameplay end while putting Suda/Grasshopper in charge of the look and vibe around it. Their presentation is killer but they could really use some help with the game portion. Souls games have the opposite problem.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
If you want a Grasshoper / From collaboration, just pretend Let it Die is it, and the entire game is an extended Chalice Dungeon. Surprisingly accurate!

I like the game but I can't keep playing. F2P mechanics and restrictions are a huge turn off.
I would've happily paid $60 for that game.
What a shame.

Opto

Banned
Yeah, really wish a studio like From would collaborate, take care of the gameplay end while putting Suda/Grasshopper in charge of the look and vibe around it. Their presentation is killer but they could really use some help with the game portion. Souls games have the opposite problem.

That's not even what I want. I want a balls out freaky game that defies genre. I don't even know what it'd be like, but I'd want it 24/7 punk acid snorted off a VHS tape. Or maybe just really force the aesthetic into the game, like attacks are made out of VHS warped static.

Skrams

Played up to Floor 9 or something yesterday and beat 2 minibosses. Really loving the game. I've died 3 times and used death metals each time because what else besides storage expansion are they good for this early on.

Also anyone know a good place to find Veneer Planks? I just got a magnum blueprint and holy jeez I'd love to always have a magnum as backup. The Crossbow is godlike, but magnums great too.

Wonder how you level up your Money so you can even be able to buy the Mushroom Stew as well

Am I missing something or is this completely single player?

Yes? I think?

It's the whole asynchronous multiplayer thing with fighting other people's dead bodies or invading their bases to fight more CPU stuff.

Drain You

For those complaining about clunky gameplay from a Grasshopper game, while kinda par the course, I'd recommend playing Killer is Dead. Great game, and I'd say it's combat is surprisingly tight. More people need to play it

Drain You

I really like the result screen that shows what you've done on the map.

Ive been meaning to comment on this, love watching it. For some reason I find watching my path is really interesting.

Also I could have sworn I saw a way to increase my storage chest capacity but now I can't seem to find it. Anyone know if I can?

BigEmil

I'll continue playing this atleast a week or two after its launch yesterday servers overloaded it seems

Kalentan

I believe you're supposed to find comic book pages that combine to explain how to defeat a boss.

Really? I just thought those were collectiables! I didn't think they actually informed on how to do stuff. The game never made that clear!

bender

What time is it?
Not sure the combat will hold my interest which is a shame as the game does just about everything else right. The results screen between floors is amazing.

zelas

When will I get a chance to return to the waiting room hub from the tower? Or is my only option quitting from the menu and dying?

bender

What time is it?
When will I get a chance to return to the waiting room hub from the tower? Or is my only option quitting from the menu and dying?

You need to find an elevator on the floor your are on, if it has one, and you can pay to return the lobby.

Didn't get to play much, but Iiked what I played so far. Of course being F2P, I was skeptical, but it seems good so far. It feels a lot better than other free to play games I played imo. I knew the musical style reminded of Akira Yamaoka.

Ashtar

got past the tutorial and started a new character connection error and I said no and it loaded, played for maybe 45 min and got to am escalator and another connection error tried saying no to no avail so I shit it off so my wife could play fallout.
Is this just early server issues or not bring ready for prime time? Also what's up with the framey ness in the lounge and loading screens, combat so far doesn't seem effected but I haven't fought more than three ppl at once

so i knew nothing of this game before yesterday. im totally loving the aesthetic and wacky story.

i really wish there was a buy once model, but f2p going to f2p.

Played up to Floor 9 or something yesterday and beat 2 minibosses. Really loving the game. I've died 3 times and used death metals each time because what else besides storage expansion are they good for this early on.

Also anyone know a good place to find Veneer Planks? I just got a magnum blueprint and holy jeez I'd love to always have a magnum as backup. The Crossbow is godlike, but magnums great too.

Wonder how you level up your Money so you can even be able to buy the Mushroom Stew as well

Yes? I think?

It's the whole asynchronous multiplayer thing with fighting other people's dead bodies or invading their bases to fight more CPU stuff.
You can expand your bank (and other things) at the Tokyo Death Metro guy, under waiting room.

Panda Rin

love playing the game, but the micro-transactions aren't doing it for me. Would have gladly paid money for this one without any of that stuff in it.

Top Bottom