• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Eh this game isn't that great. Just because it's free doesn't mean it is automatically good.

Combat is garbage. Your roll puts you too far out to actually retaliate against enemies. Hit stun on enemies and yourself looks... Stupid. Like they just stand there. Range weapons don't collide with objects and have an imaginary bullet drop off for pistols. Good luck figuring out why you missed when the game doesn't give you visual feedback of your bullet hitting the wall in front of you/the floor.

Leveling up is.,... just stupid. Character customization is non existent. Huge missed opportunity there seeing as how there is literally no main character personality. You're always naked a majority of the time so you ant even wear what you want. You fucking can't even change your eye color for fuck's sake.

The fucking controls? Why do we not have block on a shoulder button? Why is crouch the same button as sprin-

No wait, why the fuck is there even a crouch in the first place. You can pick up all items in the game without crouching, so why specifically for frogs/rats?

And last but not least NO MULTIPLAYER (COOP) HHHUUUUUUUUGEEEEEE MISSSSSSSSSSSSSED OP POR TUNE IT TEE!

Holy shit I literally screamed that at my cellphone as I typed it.
There's a crouch because you can sneak behind enemies and body slam them. It almost insta kills them.

I can't get my jump kicks to work. I run at the enemy and press X but she won't drop kick, then an icon appears once I run past them, what gives?

Edit: Nevermind, Just have to be sprinting for more than a second.

Game is awesome, and the English voice acting is surprisingly good.

Love the self deprecation.

Skrams

Not sure if people have talked about it, but the hitboxes in this game are killer. These are the hitboxes Souls people dream of when they talk about this shit. I've avoided so many moves just by a hair because they actually didn't touch me. It's great.

Also there's a lot of cool little things to find out randomly. I learned yesterday that fireworks work as a diversion via sound. I used one to draw a guy to the wall then walked up behind him to suplex him. Then I shot one off on a guy today while he was near a frog. Insta grilled frog. Super cool. I enjoy the convenient fire near the mushroom girl for grilling shit up as well.

Finally found some Veneer Planks on Floor 2 Imokawa-Cho. I have a suspicion some might be on Wanoki too.

Eh this game isn't that great. Just because it's free doesn't mean it is automatically good.

Combat is garbage. Your roll puts you too far out to actually retaliate against enemies. Hit stun on enemies and yourself looks... Stupid. Like they just stand there. Range weapons don't collide with objects and have an imaginary bullet drop off for pistols. Good luck figuring out why you missed when the game doesn't give you visual feedback of your bullet hitting the wall in front of you/the floor.

Leveling up is.,... just stupid. Character customization is non existent. Huge missed opportunity there seeing as how there is literally no main character personality. You're always naked a majority of the time so you ant even wear what you want. You fucking can't even change your eye color for fuck's sake.

The fucking controls? Why do we not have block on a shoulder button? Why is crouch the same button as sprin-

No wait, why the fuck is there even a crouch in the first place. You can pick up all items in the game without crouching, so why specifically for frogs/rats?

And last but not least NO MULTIPLAYER (COOP) HHHUUUUUUUUGEEEEEE MISSSSSSSSSSSSSED OP POR TUNE IT TEE!

Holy shit I literally screamed that at my cellphone as I typed it.
-I don't understand your point of the roll. You roll to dodge. Do you expect the attack animations to be big enough for a roll and counterattack on all enemies? To do good counters, bait out attacks. You can get extra damage by hitting enemies during their startup animation for attacks. Or just walk out of their range easily when they attack and counterattack.
-Yeah, hit stun can look dumb at times when your character is just standing up right and you can't roll out of it always. Not that big of a deal though besides the animation.
-For Pistols, I have no idea. I'm currently shooting a firework gun and it's colliding with the wall fine. The pistol drop off I agree with at least since the range can be finnicky. I don't see any reason why you can't tell you missed though when the enemy is within range.
-Leveling up is just regular stats/souls. I don't get how it's dumb.
-Yeah, I don't see really see a reason they couldn't of let you have a main character make up instead of just the 8 designs for each gender.
-I personally like all the gear and clothes types shown off. Once you get blueprints and level stuff up though then you can keep shit on longer if you want to play dress up.
-Because the L1 and R1 are for special moves. It would make it easier to parry a lot if Block was a shoulder, but I understand the decision. You have to commit to the parry and not be moving because it's the same as the roll. It's high risk high reward. Ain't much point to just straight blocking usually.
-Crouch is when standing completely still. I can not find much way of input error between sprinting and crouching. When you crouch it's pretty deliberate for when you want to sneak up on enemies. Certain enemies also rely on sound, so it helps.

-And yeah, MP for raids or something would of been cool. I'm still glad it's a good single player experience at least.

I can't get my jump kicks to work. I run at the enemy and press X but she won't drop kick, then an icon appears once I run past them, what gives?

You have to run for a few feet to be able to drop kick. You can drop kick whenever, but I think a prompt shows up near enemies to let you know it's a thing. Just ignore the prompt and line up the drop kick instead from a bit farther away. The hitbox on it is a bit precise.

Okay, how do y'all deal with more than one enemy at a time? I can't find any effective way of handling it aside from running around and hoping they hit each other when they try to attack me.

I do that a lot too. Other times I'm lucky that I have a firework gun and that deals with groups wonderfully. When it's mastered more the shots glue to enemies and explode. It really helps stun groups.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Okay, how do y'all deal with more than one enemy at a time? I can't find any effective way of handling it aside from running around and hoping they hit each other when they try to attack me.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
The special attack on the crossbow has penetration. The special attack on the fireworks gun is an AOE explosion.

That helps.

If you can stomp rats and cook the shroom, the effect of eating will fill your special attack gauge.

The game is way, way better than I expected for a F2P game, even taking into account the Grasshopper / Suda51 pedigree. However there are two things that bring it down for me:

How is anyone expected to progress when you're running into level 30 haters on the first floor?

This is number one thing. I don't understand what the big idea about this is, especially when they're hidden behind something and they oneshot you. I'm fine with challenging, but not with cheap unavoidable deaths, especially in a game that has quite a hefty penalty for dying.

Thing number 2 is that I was massively disappointed to realize the floors aren't generated randomly. Half the fun of a roguelike is having procedurally generated levels that force you to adapt and learn the mechanics, not memorize floor layouts, and keep things fresh through multiple runs. The fourth time I went through the exact same floor fighting the exact same enemies, it lost a lot of luster.

jtan

Man, the haters are strong. Level 21 me versus a level 25 hater and jesus, it's so good at blocking and parrying me lol. Had to run away as I wasn't as effective in parrying😥

if you have a gun high level haters/enemies are pretty easy to kill unless they a sprinting towards you and you panick or the dodge roll just isn't processing fast enough when you click it lol

Was going to backtrack, and turn in my blueprints since I have like 10. Level 30 hater blocking my way, I'm level 8 XD. So much for that.

Skrams

I don't think level 30 haters or anything are that much of a problem. A level 1 can easily take them out. They do higher damage, but eh. Haters on the first few floors can fight enemies to decrease their health or you can usually sneak up on them for high damage suplexes+2 stomps. I can usually kill them or get them near death with that.

ALSO FOR THE FUCK OF GOD DO NOT FIGHT HEAD HUNTERS. JESUS CHRIST.

Cy5oEU7XAAAk5Zo.jpg

I threw a grenade mushroom at him and I'm not sure if it did any damage.

He shot me for about 8665~ damage with some laser looking gun. My fucking god.

And if anyone can figure out how the quests of no armor or no dodging work, I'd love to know. I've not rolled or used armor for a climb from ikegara to imokawa-cho, but I didn't complete the quests. I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing. I'm killing all the enemies as well as it says to do unless it means don't kill them all for some reason. It's not really clear.

janoDX

Quick advice, save the super attacks for the haters and use a bat or the punches as attack since those can make them fall, then go all in, the hater gets back up and repeat the super. Easy kills.

Always try to face him 1v1, you'll notice where they are.

Phil Fish

Banned
Very excited to try this game, and I could not give 2 shits about Lily Bergamo being abandoned in favour of this. This game looks incredibly fun, and the soundtrack is quite amazing.

For the people complaining about the fake pvp game in this game, I'm pretty sure we knew about this months, or even a year ago. Suda told us himself during an interview that if players die, they are reborn as NPCs with the same gear, etc - and that's how other players can fight other players and take their gear.

I was wondering, what if some dude is super strong and kills himself before the top of babel, only to leave everyone with a near impossible challenge to get to the top? Is the player that died spawned in everyone's game, or in a set amount of random players' games?

danowat

Banned
I meet my first griefer, they were waiting by the lift on the first floor, so I pummeled them with a hammer.

Not really sure what to make of this game, there are a heck of a lot of systems going on at the same time, many that aren't explained particularly well, I love Suda and GM games,but I am just trying to figure out if.

a) It's possible to progress and have fun without chucking money at it

and

b) If it's possible to play it casually, by that, I mean a quick 30mins play a day.

Once you level your weapon skills, it gets pretty easy to drop level 20+ haters even if you're level 1.

Another thing about haters is that they'll attack anyone nearby and start a brawl. It's best to either wait and see what happens, or try sneaking in some hits while the hater is occupied.

I had absolutely no interest in this game pre-launch, but due to all of the surprisingly positive feedback here I downloaded it last night. No idea when I'll get to play it though, as I've got tons on my plate at the moment!

This game is super decent for a F2P. Has a few issues so far in a few hours of play but nothing that a little adjustment and practice wouldn't fix.
I could see myself playing this as a mindless podcast game/palette cleanser between some more involved games like XV or P5.
Now that i think about it....it could also serve to hold me over until Ni-Oh 🤔
I'm really loving the Aesthetics too. Am I the only one that is reminded of early SMT while platinum this? Idk but something about it is just reminiscent of SMT.

If people are having problems with higher level haters, there are easy ways to kill them and it helps that they will mostly be 1v1 because they try to kill other mobs around them. You can actually parry attacks in this game, you have to block, which you do by standing still and holding circle, to parry just do it right before it hits. Many of the popular weapons with haters have tells so I'm sure most people can get this down easy. Also blocking is good against the iron and the buzzsaw because since they do lots of small hits, your block will eat most of it, though if you are level 1 I don't recommend it since you probably are naked at that point too. It also eats armor durability so, really only block if you mess up a parry. Don't forget your rage move, it is really good with the buzzsaw for example. If you do Triangle + R2/L2 (whatever it is equipped to) you will launch buzzsaws and put them in a stun state so you can get a full combo, it is an easy 75% even against enemies in 20-30s with a level 1. They can block the rage move, so to make it guaranteed do it after a parry or whiff.

Even if you don't feel confident, use the shrooms, like the poison and bomb one. They do a lot of damage. Just remember not to eat them on accident.

Levels aren't the biggest factor in doing good, besides health upgrade which gives you some more leeway in getting hit, I think the strongest way your character grows is through mastery, because they give some pretty big % boost and better moves.

is there any way to upgrade the amount of gold you can hold?

Go to the guy who hands out those multiplayer raids. Complete your first free one, the you can upgrade your waiting room.

And if anyone can figure out how the quests of no armor or no dodging work, I'd love to know. I've not rolled or used armor for a climb from ikegara to imokawa-cho, but I didn't complete the quests. I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing. I'm killing all the enemies as well as it says to do unless it means don't kill them all for some reason. It's not really clear.
I was banging my head against that for a while too. It turns out you have to kill all the enemies in ikegara AND imokawa-cho. Game does a bad job of making that clear. Not sure if the haters killing enemies affects it, but if you clear both floors of enemies without armor or rolling, you ought to get both done.

I don't think level 30 haters or anything are that much of a problem. A level 1 can easily take them out. They do higher damage, but eh. Haters on the first few floors can fight enemies to decrease their health or you can usually sneak up on them for high damage suplex

If people are having problems with higher level haters, there are easy ways to kill them and it helps that they will mostly be 1v1 because they try to kill other mobs around them. You can actually parry attacks in this game, you have to block, which you do by standing still and holding circle, to parry just do it right before it hits. Many of the popular weapons with haters have tells so I'm sure most people can get this down easy. Also blocking is good against the iron and the buzzsaw because since they do lots of small hits, your block will eat most of it. Don't forget your rage move, it is really good with the buzzsaw for example. If you do Triangle + R2/L2 (whatever it is equipped to) you will launch buzzsaws and put them in a stun state so you can get a full combo, it is an easy 75% even against enemies in 20-30s with a level 1. They can block the rage move, so to make it guaranteed do it after a parry or whiff.

OK, that's great to hear. I'm barely level 7 with fists and 2-3 with other weapons, but it's good to hear they do make a bigger difference than levels later on.

Skrams

I was banging my head against that for a while too. It turns out you have to kill all the enemies in ikegara AND imokawa-cho. Game does a bad job of making that clear. Not sure if the haters killing enemies affects it, but if you clear both floors of enemies without armor or rolling, you ought to get both done.
Could of sworn I did kill both floors completely, but eh, no idea for sure. I'll try again and hope to god I don't accidentally roll on reflex.
Has anyone here encountered the second 'mid-boss' yet? I honestly have no clue how to beat it.
I made a mockery of that miniboss by bringing in 2-3 Grilled Grenades and 2 Grilled Poison Mushrooms. Shit just demolished it with minimal effort on my part. I think it took them to 1/8 of their health and final phase before requiring me to beat the rest out of it.

Grilled Poison Mushrooms honestly seem like the best thing against bosses from here on out if all can be lamed out like that.
The lock-on is the worst!

Yeah, it's kind of dumb. You can lock on, but I see no way to switch targets besides hoping you can delock and relock on what you want. It's better to usually just not lock on. Also camera doesn't follow lock on targets like a Souls game. That has it's pros and cons. I'm not sure if I like it or not. It's not that much of a problem at least for me currently.

Top Bottom