• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Nev

Banned
It has potential but I'll wait for the PC release; the load times are completely intolerable. How you can release a game with constant room-switching and pretend these load times are anything other than insufferable PS2-era trash is beyond me. It's especially jarring because the game itself runs at smooth 60fps and controls are responsive. Just unbelievable.

It's hardly a "roguelike" too. The only things that change are drops and stuff like that, layers are always the same so far, which misses the point of the concept entirely.

Audioboxer

Well I give up, It's unbelievably frustrating.

Yeah the quest tracking is really obtuse. Could be much better. Sorry I can't help more. I'm struggling with the one that says kill all enemies with hammers. I'm guessing haters are screwing this up for me as they auto attack enemies.

Tizoc

It has potential but I'll wait for the PC release; the load times are completely intolerable. How you can release a game with constant room-switching and pretend these load times are anything other than insufferable PS2-era trash is beyond me. It's especially jarring because the game itself runs at smooth 60fps and controls are responsive. Just unbelievable.

It's hardly a "roguelike" too. The only things that change are drops and stuff like that, layers are always the same so far, which misses the point of the concept entirely.
Oh where did u read about pc release?

Audioboxer

Floor 6 boss wrecked me, any tips?

I had to go aggressive. Double hammers or bats. Also made sure I farmed materials to get clothing pieces up to +3 and I believe hammers and bats were both +4.

I used the striker avatar at max level.

Try and dodge some gun attacks behind pillars but as I said I went full out fuck this mode and just charged in and went crazy. Not sure if there is a proper tactic like the first mini-boss and crouching.

Mandelbo

Got my first Rank 2 striker - being able to get their level into the 40s is definitely going to help. I was also going to do that "no dodging" quest but then I got rewarded 9 death metals out of the blue, so I suppose there's no need now!

Yeah the quest tracking is really obtuse. Could be much better. Sorry I can't help more. I'm struggling with the one that says kill all enemies with hammers. I'm guessing haters are screwing this up for me as they auto attack enemies.

Maybe that's what's happening for me. I've had at least two haters pretty much per an area since I started the game. I try to rush them and kill them before they do anything but who knows if they've already killed someone when I get there. Seriously the number of haters is pretty insane. Since like I started I've had level 30 haters in my game constantly.

Got my first Rank 2 striker - being able to get their level into the 40s is definitely going to help. I was also going to do that "no dodging" quest but then I got rewarded 9 death metals out of the blue, so I suppose there's no need now!
How did you unlock the striker?

Demoskinos

Wait. The level cap isn't 25? How the heck do you level past 25? I got my first character to 25 last night and all her stats said MAX.

delSai

Praise the Mushroom!

I got 3 haters (29/29/30) in a row with my Level 20 and the Boomshrooms destroyed 'em. Just had to follow up with a Dropkick and they were dead.

Wait. The level cap isn't 25? How the heck do you level past 25? I got my first character to 25 last night and all her stats said MAX.
Beat the floor 10 boss. You get email from Uncle Death telling you can purchase more fighters. Go to the freezer and you can now buy two star fighters.

hbkdx12

I like what i've played thus far but i feel like i don't know how everything works. It seems like there's a lot of elements here. I need a starters guide or something

When/how often should i be returning to the waiting room?

Is it better for me to level up my character in the tower and then swap him out to then send him on raids?

Should i be concerned about level up my character too much in risks of dying and losing everything or potentially encountering them again and not being able to fend them off later?

I have blueprints sand R&D stuff taking up have my inventory (the inventory is laughably small but i guess thats where the F2P elements come in) should i make this a priority to bring these back to the waiting room?

Halp lol

Meatyhooks

Neo Member
I played for a while last night and was presently surprised by how much fun I had with it. Would absolutely love to see Financials on this.

Audioboxer

I played for a while last night and was presently surprised by how much fun I had with it. Would absolutely love to see Financials on this.

Not sure it will do that great especially on one platform.

Still think a PSN only price of £20+ish like The Witness would have been better. Maybe a limited retail print at £29.99.

Have a feeling most will play till the F2P elements become a chore and then abandon it never spending a penny. So put me in the camp who believes F2P was a mistake here. Cult classic word of mouth as well as a reasonable price could have led to tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of sales.

It's early, but this might be my favorite game of the year. Which is insane, since I have been completely addicted to Battlefield and Overwatch prior to this. Disclaimer: Killer 7 is my all-time favorite game and I am a big Grasshopper fan in general.

If you guys need storage space you can put stuff in the bags of your other characters you are not using and put them in the freezer. Also after floor 6 the Collector body is available and they have 30 slots to use. I would recommend keeping your mules in the freezer just in case someone raids you and runs off with them.

delSai

It's early, but this might be my favorite game of the year. Which is insane, since I have been completely addicted to Battlefield and Overwatch prior to this. Disclaimer: Killer 7 is my all-time favorite game and I am a big Grasshopper fan in general.
Glad i'm not the only one who might put Let it Die up as their GOTY.

Praise the Mushroom!

I got 3 haters (29/29/30) in a row with my Level 20 and the Boomshrooms destroyed 'em. Just had to follow up with a Dropkick and they were dead.

Nice! That was my strategy too, except I accidentally ate the mushroom instead of throwing it...

Coda

I love the general style of the characters and game but I feel that the environments and gameplay loop aren't enough to keep progressing. I'm slowly making progress now but it took me a good chunk of time to understand when to go back to the waiting room and when to know my best course of action. I really hope they flesh this game out more because there's a lot I like about it, but it just doesn't completely hit the nail on the head.

I love the general style of the characters and game but I feel that the environments and gameplay loop aren't enough to keep progressing. I'm slowly making progress now but it took me a good chunk of time to understand when to go back to the waiting room and when to know my best course of action. I really hope they flesh this game out more because there's a lot I like about it, but it just doesn't completely hit the nail on the head.
What is the highest floor you have reached so far?

The dev has only one game on PC and that was ported by the European Publisher at time, so I'd think the chances of timely port are slim, but who knows.

Don't forget The Silver Case!

Although at this point I'd assume this is PS4 exclusive. If it's super successful then I can see a PC port, especially since it runs on Unreal.

I played this for a few hours last night and had a blast, didn't expect to enjoy it so much as Souls style really isn't my bag. The rage attacks or whatever mind me of heat attacks from the Yakuza series.

So is there anything you can do to stop being stunlocked by weapons like the buzz saw, or do you just have to take it?
Take it, but if you are accurate enough you can perform a perfect block by blocking right before the attack hits and it will stagger the enemy

Nice, so you can perfect block even when you are in hitstun?
I guess I need to work on my timing...
Oh, not while in hitstun, but it can help create an opening which you can roll out of if cornered by multiple enemies. Because even if you normal block the buzzsaw, you're in "blockstun" per say

Top Bottom