• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let It Die |OT| F2P roguelike Dark Souls with a skateboarding skeleton

Burnburn

Asking again just to see if anyone can confirm. I have been reading that there is a room on 13F that consistently produces golden snails, is this true?

Also, whats the policy on golden animals. Do you eat them? Kill them? Whats the procedure? Any info would be appreciated.

I have gotten a golden animal on that floor before, so yeah they can spawn there, just dont know if and if how consistently.

My advice for golden animals is: SAVE THEM FOR NEW CHARACTERS. They give 4000!!! exp when you eat them, so eat them at level 1 and you can level you character up to level 35!!! (I said 25 earlier, but it's mire around 35)

Riposte

I haven't seen this reddit thread posted, so I'm going to link it and post the whole thing (my apologies), because it's probably the best collection of tips and tricks on the game I've seen:

https://www.reddit.com/r/LetItDie/c..._petition_to_start_a/?st=iwrqis5i&sh=efebd02c

HITS TIPS TRICKS AND PSAs
CONSUMABLES AND COOKING
  • You can cook beasts with the Firework Launcher (cooked food heals for more HP)
  • Golden Beasts (when eaten) give LOTS of XP. Addendum, Don't eat them, stomp them. You get an upgraded version of their mushroom + still get the XP. Save it for a character you want to get a level boost with.
  • Use the "poison eater" decal (poison heals you) and carry a snail around for easy heals. You can also wear armor that is weak to poison to regenerate health faster while poisoned (20+ hp per second).
  • Stomping on a pill bug, then shooting it while it is upside down, will yield a shroom that, when cooked, brings you back to life at 50% when taking a killing blow. The 11th floor is littered with these fuckers so I have about 30 of them in my bank and I just make sure I have one on wherever I am. Pair this effect with the sticker that puts you at 1% health after a killing blow and you have 3 lives. Just remember to eat another shroom if yours gets used. Keep in mind they DO NOT WORK FOR TDM! Addendum You don't necessarily need a gun, any weapon that can hit the ground can kill them as long as they're stunned. It's a bit fiddly, but you can even do it with the fist's R1 attack. Addendum 2 I actually just read on here that you can have a Butterfly knife equipped and do it without bullets.
  • Remember the power of the mushrooms, lots of bosses become very easy with the right setup. Most early game beasts give great effect mushrooms (Frogs give tear gas, Rats give Rage Boost, and Scorpions give a huge attack boost in exchange for defense)
  • You can eat the same mushroom to increase duration of buff. Here is the proof: https://youtu.be/svsgdE_6c-g
  • Eating any non-damaging mushroom also heals you a small amount (20, I believe).
  • You can cook items in the Waiting Room on the small fire next to the Mushroom lady.
  • Boomshrooms can cook beasts if thrown at animal, doesn't matter if the boomshrooms been cooked or not.
  • Fires on any floor can cook beasts and shrooms, including the small trash fires on the second floor.
  • Just before fighting a boss eat the grilled defense and attack mushrooms the buff duration doesn't go down while the cut scene is playing.

LEVELING, XP, CURRENCY, ITEMS, AND SKILLS

• Weapon Mastery is shared by all characters.
  • The weapon that makes the killing blow is what gains the XP for mastery.
  • Save items/coins/SPL in your mailbox until you need them (to save storage space). Addendum The mailbox has 50 slots.
  • Great post about what floors yield what materials
  • You can't die in the Waiting Room (and in fact can't even take damage there), so if you need some quick exp you can even eat harmful items like Boomshrooms without a problem.
  • Hats give percentage-based bonuses to your stats.
  • Mushrooms and beasts sell for the same amount of coins and give the same amount of exp regardless of if they're cooked or not.
  • The amount of SPL needed to upgrade equipment starts out negligible but quickly inflates exponentially. If you're unable to upgrade anything, you may actually have the materials but just not enough SPL.
  • It can be worthwhile to upgrade everything even if it's weaker than something else you can make, since after +4 they can be upgraded into a much better new version.
  • Keeping pricey blueprints in storage can help you have a small amount of quick cash.
  • You can do repeat quests // expeditions to build up a sizable bank in your Storage just in case you need to salvage someone.
  • Some of the weapons from 31-40 are 3* with the power of 4*, and thus use Black Metals to upgrade instead of Red Metals. So consider not wasting your Black Metals on the +2 or +3 on your armor.
COMBAT, EXPLORING, AND NAVIGATING LEVELS

• When locked on an enemy press up on the d-pad to switch to a different enemy.
  • Try to get the sneak up on haters. It is the easiest way to quickly dispatch those high level haters. And it is very possible to sneak up on any hater on floors 1 to 11. Just think outside the box.
  • Mines can easily be destroyed using guns with aim sights (assault rifle, sniper rifle, etc).
  • The third attack in a combo will often leave you open to attack afterward, so it's better to attack as 1-2-pause-1-2-pause-etc.
  • Iron parry is love, iron parry is life.
  • Throwing any beast at a snail as long as it's uncooked will knock it out in case you have no way through without running or want the snail.
  • If you're fast enough (and mash enough) you can actually get three stomps on a downed enemy.
  • You can drop what's in your left/right hand by holding X and pressing left/right on the d-pad respectively
  • Perform a perfect block by pressing circle the instant you get attacked
  • You can reload by holding X and pressing the attack button of the weapon you want to reload.
  • Guns don't use ammo when performing a Goretastic. You also get mastery for kills made with a gun's secondary attack (which for most is a pistol whip that takes no ammo).
  • The Firework Launcher's Rage attack destroys the weapon, but can be used even when at 0/0 ammo.
  • The backdrop/frankensteiner/stomp/dropkick are awesome and do a ton of damage, but don't grant any mastery exp.
  • If you can lure/knock enemies into them, traps in the tower activate from and hurt enemies just like they do to you. This goes for snail poison, landmines, turrets, fire, and fall damage.
  • Falling off of a ledge will cure sleep, so you can eat the Fluffy shrooms that cause it and walk off a ledge to immediately cure it if you want the exp/healing but don't want to sit through the entire status.
  • Walking into water will put you out if you catch fire.
  • The "treasure trap" rooms (small round ones with multiple R&D materials and a large chest that block you in and release several screamers/haters) only trigger when you open the chest. You can snag all the R&D materials completely risk-free.
  • The bat's secondary attack is a counter, but only for projectiles.
  • Try dual wielding weapons a lot! For example, equip the bat in the right hand and the hammer in the left. Do 2 R2s with right and then immediately do 2 L2s with left followed by the strong L1, you'll get in easy 5 hit combo.
  • If you encounter multiple haters at once, you can actually lure them to each other and they'll fight each other instead. You can either run or gang up on one of them and kill the other.
  • If there are multiple enemies, you can make them hit each other if you trigger their attack and run through/around them closely.
  • You don't have to fight bosses to unlock some characters. For example, you can unlock all tier fours by stumbling on the Fugami split path on floor 25.
  • When you have to walk through fire unequip first, since fire does major armor dmg. Vice versa you can use fire to melt enemy armor (like the fire torch for example does)
  • When using aim on 2 hand or for throwing, aim slightly to the right for easier hits, since your character is positioned left of the crosshair
  • The Iron is AMAZING for destroying enemy armor.
  • You can cheese bosses with Invisibility shrooms and slow down time shrooms. When used in combination with Stingshrooms (+120% attack), it's impossible for you to lose against some bosses.

TOKYO DEATH METRO (TDM) AND OTHER PVP

• Don't be afraid to raid as long as you look at the victims TDM level. If it's much higher than yours you might have to fight some crazy haters. A good way to avoid this is only use the first tab to find people. The first tab is only people that are your level.
  • Keep one fast, max-level weapon (Machete, Bat, Hammers) as an option for each hand.
  • Best way I've found to deal with a hater that is really high level is to throw a decoyshroom followed by a poison shroom.
  • Don't take a lot of time fighting one hater. If you take too long they will spawn another one and you have to fight two.
  • When you get to the main base using R1 and L1 attacks will build your rage meter quite a bit if you hit the tanks. If you need rage you can kite the haters and smack the machines to build it.
  • Use your SPL and coins when you get them. You make a crazy amount of SPL and KC when you raid and from what I can tell no one can steal it unless you are, A) Idle for more than an hour in your base, or B) you go into the tower.
  • Many bases don't have any defenders. This is awesome. But sometimes the game glitches and doesn't end when you finish destroying the banks. You have to walk back to the train and leave.
  • Only take what you need to fight. If you die, you lose EVERYTHING. Don't load up on 30k worth of weapons and lose them all to one unlucky raid.
  • Snipers are hard to use. The haters auto-aggro you as soon as they spawn. Be warned.
  • If you take hostages you paint a big ass target on your base. Kill shit. Loot. Leave
  • If you fight in a big battle, you can make upwards of 80k SPL and KC when the event is over if you won.
  • Expeditions are a great way to get rare mushrooms. You can send 1* level 1 fighters to the highest level floor you get on your list and bring back 2-5k + Mushrooms (Including skillshrooms) + Food you can sell. On top of that, it replaces the hater on the recipient's floor so it's not harmful for them either.
  • TDM banks and traps in the tower don't give any exp or mastery in the first place, so a well-placed dropkick is one of the best ways to deal with them.
  • Send out your other characters on expeditions, even if they fail, they'll get shrooms and other items from those floors that the target is on when you sent them.
  • Spend as much as you can before you log out, TDM raids are based off of 10% (I think) of your currently held KC and SP. This could be just buying more armor and weapons you normally use or a stew if you want.

Quite a bit I figured out for myself, but this one... was a revelation:

You can drop what's in your left/right hand by holding X and pressing left/right on the d-pad respectively

Quick notes from skimming that list:
- you don't need to waste ammo or weapon durability to kill the pill bugs. Just R1 with your fists.
- do NOT send level 1 haters after high level players. That's just an asshole move, because the player won't get much gold or SPL for killing them or the high level gear that AI haters have (the main reason to do so on higher levels).
- the bat's counter is not only for projectiles (I completed the perfect guard one with it)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I played some yesterday and this game is really good. I'm glad I gave it a shot (thanks to some info from you guys). A few basic questions to get me going.

1) I died on the mid boss...Seemed a bit like a war of attrition. Hit once, run, repeat. I eventually had to go so I just said fuck it and went for a 3-hit combo. Which got me lolkilled. Is there something I'm missing? Can I stun enemies or roll-cancel between hit 2-3?

2) Is there a list of places to farm shit? I've got 3 blue prints - a 2 copies of a 2H crossbow and pants. I can't craft any of them. Also, the second copy of the 2H is now blue and the dude didn't take it from me. What's up with that?

3) I'm confused on the mushroom lady and what she's for. You can buy a stew or some other stuff?

So I played some yesterday and this game is really good. I'm glad I gave it a shot (thanks to some info from you guys). A few basic questions to get me going.

1) I died on the mid boss...Seemed a bit like a war of attrition. Hit once, run, repeat. I eventually had to go so I just said fuck it and went for a 3-hit combo. Which got me lolkilled. Is there something I'm missing? Can I stun enemies or roll-cancel between hit 2-3?

2) Is there a list of places to farm shit? I've got 3 blue prints - a 2 copies of a 2H crossbow and pants. I can't craft any of them. Also, the second copy of the 2H is now blue and the dude didn't take it from me. What's up with that?

3) I'm confused on the mushroom lady and what she's for. You can buy a stew or some other stuff?

1) I'll spoiler tag this for you since I didn't figure this out until after I beat the midboss.
He's actually blind so if you crouch when walking he won't be able to find you (unless he does that scream like at the beginning of the fight), just stay quiet and sneak up on him. He's ridiculously easy for me now, I kill him with new level 1 fighters to level them up.

2) There's this list on reddit, but it's incomplete. It's still pretty useful though, especially for new players:

igw7bkka0f3y.png

And don't bother picking up duplicate blueprints, all you can do is sell them.

3) You use her to buy/sell and change decals. If you buy the mushroom stew for 50k you get a premium decal that you can remove without losing it. It also goes back into your inventory after dying. Basically a permanent decal.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
1) I'll spoiler tag this for you since I didn't figure this out until after I beat the midboss.
He's actually blind so if you crouch when walking he won't be able to find you (unless he does that scream like at the beginning of the fight), just stay quiet and sneak up on him. He's ridiculously easy for me now, I kill him with new level 1 fighters to level them up.
I didn't even realize that, I've just been wrecking him with dropkicks... hah. Neat
They sell for a lot though, if you're farming coins they are a better use of an inventory spot than anything else

I didn't even realize that, I've just been wrecking him with dropkicks... hah. Neat

Mother Barbs knows best!

They sell for a lot though, if you're farming coins they are a better use of an inventory spot than anything else

That is true. I just find the extra inventory space more valuable. I haven't really felt the need to farm for coins, outside of raiding people for a quick buck.

Gonna cave and buy 80 death metal today since I'm buying other stuff anyway and I have that 20% off code.

Mainly just going to increase my storage to 300, and have a few left for runs.

Yeezus

They give you like 1000 exp. So kind of up to you. They're worth like 1500 KC. Which is like the first floor basically. So maybe save for leveling new guys?

I have gotten a golden animal on that floor before, so yeah they can spawn there, just dont know if and if how consistently.

My advice for golden animals is: SAVE THEM FOR NEW CHARACTERS. They give 4000!!! exp when you eat them, so eat them at level 1 and you can level you character up to level 35!!! (I said 25 earlier, but it's mire around 35)

Okay, thanks for the info. I have 13Fs unlocked but have yet to see any golden snails. Is there one Im missing maybe? Whats the name of the room where they appear?

Also, for people getting hung up on the "climb from floor X to floor Y killing all enemies" quests:

-you need to kill everything, a hater killing a screamer will reset progress
-the language is a little misleading, you need to kill all enemies on the floor they tell you to climb to as well

starting this for the first time today and it just seems to hang on a picture or a massive building with the skeleton dude in the corner. doesn't do anything even after restarting the game, any ideas?

Caim

So after finally arriving to Floor 34 I realize that the floors were on a weird rotation and not completely random.

I don't know when it changes though.

I'm determined to reach
tonight.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic

2) There's this list on reddit, but it's incomplete. It's still pretty useful though, especially for new players:

3) You use her to buy/sell and change decals. If you buy the mushroom stew for 50k you get a premium decal that you can remove without losing it. It also goes back into your inventory after dying. Basically a permanent decal.

Thanks. Was not aware of the midboss tip.

Oh, and that image you posted shows floors with different names. Is that a random thing?

And I meant to ask...I died at the midboss but was able to pay coins to retrieve him? I thought you could only do that with medals?

One more question (I promise, for now) - are blueprints random? Should I just farm floors for blueprints hoping to flesh out my options? Or is it a set number you'll find at any given point in time/location?

Caim

Thanks. Was not aware of the midboss tip.

Oh, and that image you posted shows floors with different names. Is that a random thing?

And I meant to ask...I died at the midboss but was able to pay coins to retrieve him? I thought you could only do that with medals?

One more question (I promise, for now) - are blueprints random? Should I just farm floors for blueprints hoping to flesh out my options? Or is it a set number you'll find at any given point in time/location?

Some blueprints are random I think, but a few of them are always found at set floors.

delSai

The Vega Claw is amazing. Need to find its Blueprint. Great Rage Attack and i love the Goretastic.

-the language is a little misleading, you need to kill all enemies on the floor they tell you to climb to as well

That explains alot.

Pay Metals to revive right at the place where you died. Pay Killcoins to get your Fighter back at the Freezer.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
OK, thanks guys!

Any tips for dealing with 3+ enemies at once? I got swarmed and had a hell of a time since they basically animation locked me which was fun.

Shit, that was a crazy treasure room layout. 6-7 snails fell from the sky and a Reversal Tuber showed up. Luckily I had a fireworks launcher. That could've been a nasty one.

It's not random, but the rooms "shuffle" around day to day. If it's got a different name than what you see it's probably a side room on that floor you haven't found yet or the room isn't in the rotation today.

From my understanding, blueprints are tiered by floor. So 1-10 have a set of blueprints and 10-20 have a set of better blueprints. It seems random, but I've heard schoolyard type rumors on reddit that weapon blueprints are only on the "main path" up, while armor blueprints are in the side rooms.

Also speaking of blueprints, if you have a ton of kill coins, try hunting down the secret shop in each section. 1-10 has 1, 11-20 had 2 on the layout I was last on.

The blueprints aren't exclusive, but if you're looking for something specific, it's worth a shot. Not to mention he sells basically one of every basic material too.

Yeezus

OK, thanks guys!

Any tips for dealing with 3+ enemies at once? I got swarmed and had a hell of a time since they basically animation locked me which was fun.

The best advice really is to avoid getting outnumbered. But it happens from time to time obviously. If you can't immediately thin out the heard and even up the numbers, try and dodge around a bit. Haters will take out screamers for you; sometimes enemies hit one another while scrambling over themselves to kill you. Make sure you're also using your rage moves (fists only cost one point).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There is more than one area per floor, connected by different escalators. Sometimes you'll find blocked off escalators that unlock after beating a certain midboss.

edit: Also the layouts do change around daily, I didn't know that this could prevent or allow access to certain areas as mentioned above.

There are three ways to get a character back after death:

-Death Metal (instant revive, use sparingly such as when about to beat a boss)
-Purchase back at the freezer (using Kill Coins, you retain all their items but this costs more and more the higher up in the tower you are)
-Return to that floor with another character and find and kill the Haterfied version, which will return them to the freezer for free (naked)

Rage moves can help a lot in dealing with multiple enemies, as can baiting them to use their attacks on each other.

Here are some more tips just in case you wanna give it a once over in case there's anything you might not know: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226343561&postcount=2079

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I killed the midboss...
But how do I do sneak attacks and/or drop kicks? I just had to sneak so he couldn't see me and punch him one hit at a time.

delSai

I killed the midboss...
But how do I do sneak attacks and/or drop kicks? I just had to sneak so he couldn't see me and punch him one hit at a time.

Dropkick = Run, then press X once the thing at the bottom of the screen shows up. Make sure you hit lol, you can get fucked up really easily if you miss.

Sneak Attack: Crouch, then press X when behind an enemy. You can also do this when above an enemy.

Sneak Attacks only work on Screamers and Haters tho.

GodofWine

I killed the midboss...

I think thats the best way to beat him
any running or walking is going to give you away, I've beat him a number of times by just running away, then crouch walking away from the spot I stopped running, then sneaking behind him and punching him 1-3 times...repeat. and as you get stronger, it becomes a trivial fight.

Yeezus

Thanks guys (again)!

Does my region matter? I'm in IN, where literally nobody cares about us.

It does in some respects, as far as I can tell. If you're part of a larger region that tends to raid/get raided often, you'll likely get swept up in a fight. Large rewards (in the form of cash and souls) are given out to all participants at the end of a fight. So mo raids = mo money, but also mo obligations. You decide your own level of participation as far as TDM is concerned, but its worth thinking about.

kuroneco

Am I doing something wrong in the quest where you have to defeat all enemies without dodging and the one where you have to defeat all enemies without equipment while going to ikegara to imokawa-cho?

I've done everything the quest says but it never completes it.

It probably because Hater killed someone before you could got there. Also you need to clear not just all enemies in Ikegara but also Imokawacho.

It labeled as difficulty 1, but I think this is actually hard to do...

Second tdm fight where the game can't find anyone for me to raid. Badly need splithium, and no good way to get it. Does California have so many people that literally every other UK (and Canada before) player has already been removed from the pool after half a day? Suppose I could leave CA, but it's where I'm from. Rather see Grasshopper overhaul the system instead.

Also speaking of blueprints, if you have a ton of kill coins, try hunting down the secret shop in each section. 1-10 has 1, 11-20 had 2 on the layout I was last on.

The blueprints aren't exclusive, but if you're looking for something specific, it's worth a shot. Not to mention he sells basically one of every basic material too.
Are you sure about blueprints not being exclusive? I used to think that too, but I realized he's got blueprints I've never seen drop, like the texas farmer's mask. I've played a ton, especially on early floors farming and levelling up fighters for defense, and would have thought I'd seen all those by now.

Frimaire

So do new voice lines unlock as you progress up the tower?
I had been hearing the same voice lines from Naomi for a wile, and then suddenly like 3 new ones in a row.

Second tdm fight where the game can't find anyone for me to raid. Badly need splithium, and no good way to get it. Does California have so many people that literally every other UK (and Canada before) player has already been removed from the pool after half a day? Suppose I could leave CA, but it's where I'm from. Rather see Grasshopper overhaul the system instead.

Are you sure about blueprints not being exclusive? I used to think that too, but I realized he's got blueprints I've never seen drop, like the texas farmer's mask. I've played a ton, especially on early floors farming and levelling up fighters for defense, and would have thought I'd seen all those by now.
They're not exclusive. Some people just have better luck than others. I've never received the Iron Claw blueprint, for instance.

As for California, yeah I just ended up joining so I can get my win rewards. NY wasn't doing anything at all - the Hate meter against CA hasn't budged in like a week and even if it eventually happened, I doubt we would have put up much of a fight anyway.
The system definitely needs a rework.

They're not exclusive. Some people just have better luck than others. I've never received the Iron Claw blueprint, for instance.

As for California, yeah I just ended up joining so I can get my win rewards. NY wasn't doing anything at all - the Hate meter against CA hasn't budged in like a week and even if it eventually happened, I doubt we would have put up much of a fight anyway.
The system definitely needs a rework.
Really can't blame anyone for just joining the zerg at this point, given how the system works and how bad the rewards are for a losing team. Who knows, maybe the lopsidedness will eventually be the impetus for change.

Burnburn

Okay, thanks for the info. I have 13Fs unlocked but have yet to see any golden snails. Is there one Im missing maybe? Whats the name of the room where they appear?

Well, I found my golden animal on 13f elevator. Maybe people are referring to a different room though with actually a lot of golden snails. The one on the elevator floor is mostly tucked away behind one of the cilinder water tanks.

kyan_hexagon

Neo Member

I got the farmer's mask blueprint and I've only made it to floor 9 so it's possible.

Demoskinos

So wondering when do I get Grade 4 fighters? I have grade 3 and I'm now at the point where I'm wondering if its worth working on upgrading and maxing out a whole freezer full of Grade 3's or just wait for Grade 4's then really buckle down.

Sorry, I meant the weapons ones are not exclusive. Armor probably is though, I really want that letterman jacket but I've never seen it in the wild

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I was watching videos of some of the late game bosses. They seem...Insane? Like, OHKO type shit all over the place, doing virtually no damage, etc. Are you expected to play perfectly or use DMs to survive them? Or is there a codex to know the types of armor and weaponry to stack against them?

Frimaire

So wondering when do I get Grade 4 fighters? I have grade 3 and I'm now at the point where I'm wondering if its worth working on upgrading and maxing out a whole freezer full of Grade 3's or just wait for Grade 4's then really buckle down.

Just unlocked them all upon reaching Floor 25.

TI82

Banned
Can't play since ps4 doesn't like that I use a 4g hotspot for internet. Play overwatch at sub 100 ping just fine on PC but ps4 is like nah :/

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Anyway to get past level 25? Still on my first character who's an all rounder and reached maxed level. Afraid to switch to a new one. :O Also where the hell do I find the buzzsaw recipe?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Keep climbing. Once you beat the Boss on F10/Reach F11 you will unlock Grade 2 characters who can be leveled up more.
Can I level up the current one past 25 or do I have to start over with grade 2 characters?

delSai

You have to start a new one. Once you unlock Grade 2, your old character can be replaced. Or i dunno, you can set him up as a Defender/send him to invade other players.

Also i recommend leveling up multiple characters and not just stick with one. Get a Collector, in my opinion the strongest class.

Top Bottom