• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Reading the HQ version of Naruto and there's fucking multiple art errors on the first page. Again. So Kishi remembered to draw Sasuke's Eternal version of the Sharingan this time, but Naruto randomly has the old version of his Fox Cloak that has the collar of his cloak, but doesn't actually have the rest of the cloak and also doesn't have the same Fox-eyes as it was previously shown to have. How fucking hard is it to keep that shit consistent? Or does he really hate drawing the stupid cloak that much that he just discontinued it yet again?

E: Actually, now that I look at it, he was in his original mode in the last chapter too. Is there some reason for this I missed (or, more likely, didn't care about)?

diaspora

Hanamaru Youchien 75: Loitering around a kindergarten at the dead of night? Surprised he didn't get his dumb ass thrown in jail.

Reading the HQ version of Naruto and there's fucking multiple art errors on the first page. Again. So Kishi remembered to draw Sasuke's Eternal version of the Sharingan this time, but Naruto randomly has the old version of his Fox Cloak that has the collar of his cloak, but doesn't actually have the rest of the cloak and also doesn't have the same Fox-eyes as it was previously shown to have. How fucking hard is it to keep that shit consistent? Or does he really hate drawing the stupid cloak that much that he just discontinued it yet again?

Sorry man, the reaction to Mario's put my head in a weird place.

Lain

Volume 49 get!

KPp.jpg

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Vol. 8

VRzJHa1.jpg

The way this series is able to effortlessly pass between hilarious comedy and deeply emotionally moving moments is something I've only seen before in Gintama. The chapter about the ramen shop... the sorrow over the passage of time, the loss of old landmarks, the slow decay of a community... it was nearly overpowering.

Akito

Sundome 1-8 (END)

It seems like I was not wrong at all and the story about sexually teasing changed right before the end to a "my girlfriend has a incurable disease" kind of melodrama. That's not a bad thing per se and there were enough hints for that development but the pacing was pretty bad with 7 of the 8 volumes dedicating to the two MCs exploring all kinds all fetishes, which may shock and awe you at the beginning because of how explicit and provocative it was depicted but will lose steam very soon after that. I don't like most of the characters because they don't even have a personality at all, save for Kurumi and Hideo, our two MCs. Kurumi is a fascinating character for sure but Hideo barely passes because even though the story is supposed to be about his growth from a shy and useless teenager to a respectable young man, he spends most of the time being Kurumi's dog and begging for her permission to jerk off, the late resolve does not make up for it. The series could have benefited greatly from a considerably shorter length or a earlier change of focus. The art of Sundome is quite peculiar, one might say messy or ugly but I found it fit quite well with the story, it makes the "intimate" scenes very uncomfortable, almost disturbing as they should be. All in all I don't think Sundome is worth anyone's time unless they are on the hunt for a dark and inconvenient love story and don't mind a sexual fetish or two frequently dominating the story.

My thoughts on the ending
It was alright I guess, nothing mind-blowing or heart-breaking, you get the "he smuggles her out of the hospital stays with her until she dies" ending in a slightly twisted way but that was expected of this manga.

Daingurse

Just was reflecting on this, I think Hueco Mundo is one of the worst arcs I've ever read in a manga. The glacial pace it had as I was reading it while the series was ongoing . . . simply abysmal.

Ocha Nigosu 81-82

Da fuck?

Wasn't expecting something so heavy from this series. I mean, it's not like Switch's story in Sket Dance or anything, but it was still unexpected. Wasn't anything like this in Kyou Kara Ore Wa.

Just was reflecting on this, I think Hueco Mundo is one of the worst arc I've ever read in a manga. The glacial pace it had as I was reading it while the series it was ongoing . . . simply abysmal.

Hueco Mundo was fucking terrible. I'm not even sure there's really a competent defense of it. It fails as just about everything it attempts to do.

I stopped reading Bleach several years ago, but I assume they're probably still fighting Szayelapporo.

Comparing One Piece to Lebron? Disgraceful.

One Piece is like, Carmelo Anthony, too much meat and terrible quality.

Bleach is like, Kevin Durant, pretty much 0 meat and never quite coming in first in terms of success. But still great.

Naruto is like a Bobcats Bench Warmer.

Take the Heat Big 3 and compare them to our manga big 3, obviously if I can use any NBA/sports athlete my comparisons would change.

Why I picked those as my options, One Piece = LeBron because it's the most popular/over rated by the mass market. I guess in hind sight I should have said Dwade = Naruto because he's the second most popular/over rated by the mass market. Bosh/Bleach also makes more sense because both when they make noise they make more noise then anyone but when they're quiet people forget they're around.

In the end NBA is my least favorite American sport, I still watch it cause I have a lot of friends who do.

But Lebron ain't overrated. He's really that good. One Piece on the otherhand...

I can't argue with the way LeBron has played this past year any questions I had about him are gone. Though you have to agree just in terms of popularity OP > Naruto > Bleach and LeBron > Dwade > Bosh

bigkrev

Take the Heat Big 3 and compare them to our manga big 3, obviously if I can use any NBA/sports athlete my comparisons would change.

Why I picked those as my options, One Piece = LeBron because it's the most popular/over rated by the mass market.

In the end NBA is my least favorite American sport, I still watch it cause I have a lot of friends who do.

Lol at LeBron being overrated. He's better at basketball than any other athlete is at there respective sport right now. Him dragging a horrific Cavs team in 2007 to the finals is probably the most impressive performance from am individual athlete in my lifetime

Dresden

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru Vol. 8

The way this series is able to effortlessly pass between hilarious comedy and deeply emotionally moving moments is something I've only seen before in Gintama. The chapter about the ramen shop... the sorrow over the passage of time, the loss of old landmarks, the slow decay of a community... it was nearly overpowering.

And the punch at the end is gently eased with a bit of comedy, too. The way Ishiguro balances sentimentality and wry humor is always appreciated.

Aizo

Banned
My sister's boyfriend is a typical One Piece fan. Can't lie we nerd out a lot with anime and manga. I got him on the Shingeki and Hunter X Hunter train. He still hasn't drunk the JoJo Kool aid, something I only have started tasting rather recently. Working my way through Stardust Crusaders, man those OAVs left out a lot of shit! hahahaha

Also one thing me and my sister's BF that I found interesting. Hunter X Hunter is a very deceptive series, so many potential fans probably misjudge the series because of the art-style. But Hunter X Hunter goes pretty hard for a Shounen. All I personally needed to hear was, "From the dude who made Yu Yu Hakusho". Yoshihiro Togashi? Sheeit nigga that's all I needed to hear. The hiatuses killed me man, but the anime adaptation has been doing right by me. Did not remember the Chimera Ant arc being this good, lol.

Your posts are very fun to read. Just so you know.

Aizo

Banned
does anyone else read these or is it just me?

The Breaker:New Waves
Ability
Noblesse
Kingdom
Tower of God
Magician(Kim Sarae)

I read 60 chapters of Noblesse, but I was not interested throughout the whole reading venture. Does it improve, or is it just not for me? Regardless, I don't really intend on going back to it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
FMA is my favorite series and I still thought the end was somewhat hard to follow and kind of bullshitted (he transmutes his inner whatever to get super powers, right).

I also wonder since he's now able to communicate with his Zanpaktou if it will just bow down to his awesomeness and bestow upon him bankai without any training required.

Its been a while since I have seen both but I maintain I enjoy the original filler FMA to Brotherhood upon firs watching, I like brotherhood don't get me wrog but I keep hearing people claim its clearly better when it didn't feel that way to me when watching.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
FMA is my favorite series and I still thought the end was somewhat hard to follow and kind of bullshitted (he transmutes his inner whatever to get super powers, right).

If you mean the manga, Ed trades his ability to transmute stuff for Al. If you meant Father, he opens the world's gate and eats it's version of the truth, or just gets it's power. I understand how he did it and all the internal logic leading to it is pretty sound, but I'm still a bit confused.

Angry Grimace

If you mean the manga, Ed trades his ability to transmute stuff for Al. If you meant Father, he opens the world's gate and eats it's version of the truth, or just gets it's power. I understand how he did it and all the internal logic leading to it is pretty sound, but I'm still a bit confused.

I meant Ed. I still think using it at a solution to the plot is kind of BS akin to using Geass on God. Obviously, I don't think it ruined the series.

Cwarrior

personally loved the last arc of the manga I disliked the ending it felt like your typical fairy tail arc ending, very underwhelming I try not to remember any endings to do with full metal alchemist non of them are good.

Al gave back Ed his arm and then gave him the power of truth or something is what I got from the last few chapters.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I meant Ed. I still think using it at a solution to the plot is kind of BS akin to using Geass on God. Obviously, I don't think it ruined the series.

Yea it was kind of cheap, but really it also sort of made sense. He had to trade something valuable. It was either that and a happy ending or a sad ending, I feel like they deserved the happy ending after all that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Stuff like that is why Code Geass is a legend.

Also Charles's indoor voice. Which isn't really an indoor voice at all, it's an outdoor voice. It's not even that, it's how you would talk if you were trying to communicate while falling from 30,000 feet.

My opinion on Geass is about the same as on Death Note:

First part is pretty amazing, second is a clear drop-off with some great parts.

"great" as in "come the fuck on"

Kusagari

I don't think I've ever enjoyed watching an anime as much as I did both seasons of Code Geass.

Code Geass transcends goodness or badness. It makes batshit insane stupidity an art form. In the future Code Geass will transcend Citizen Kane as the crowning achievement of man in moving pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom