• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

FemMC? Seems the most dull of the three new series. Will read if in English ever I guess.
Sorry if it's unclear.

Right now, there's 2 sure-fire main characters: Haimura (the title character, 'Smoky') and Komodo, the scouter for the Benten High School baseball team (yes, she is a girl). There's a third character, Kazami, who's buddies with Haimura, but it's unclear what his role is other than 'support/friend'.

Akito

Kongou Banchou 12
That fact that the Gouriki Banchou is a girl is not particularly surprising but a little girl with superhuman strength who can take Banchou head on? That sure was. Super dense muscles? Lol ok whatever.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kongou Banchou 12
That fact that the Gouriki Banchou is a girl is not particularly surprising but a little girl with superhuman strength who can take Banchou head on? That sure was. Super dense muscles? Lol ok whatever.

You should know by now the girl with the most petit build is a secret ultra strong grandmaster.

It´s shit writing and the definition of an ass pull power up, especially when no explanation was given to said power up besides i am going get stronger for my friends. And training is never a waist especially when done correctly.

I didn't say it was a waist but a waste. The explanation was given, it's Luffy using his devil fruit powers in a different way that makes sense within the context of the series. Pulling training arcs simply for the sake of explaining a powerup are utterly pointless. Ultimately the MC is just getting a powerup for the sake of plot. You just happen to like the "more time to unlock true potential" trope better, which is, incidentally, the entire basis of Bleach.

You´re right he said this

http://i.minus.com/ieW6YJ11QJSWu.jpg
This is fairy tail level of cheese.

Nice foreshadowing to Ace's death here. This is why I love Oda.

I don't know what you're trying to say here, especially by drawing comparisons to Fairy Tail.

Akito

You should know by now the girl with the most petit build is a secret ultra strong grandmaster.
Still a scrub compared to Banchou, he was just holding back, I'll never doubt his strength again :lol

izxe8GFRHeb0O.jpg

Sure, bring it on.

I didn't say it was a waist but a waste. The explanation was given, it's Luffy using his devil fruit powers in a different way that makes sense within the context of the series. Pulling training arcs simply for the sake of explaining a powerup are utterly pointless. Ultimately the MC is just getting a powerup for the sake of plot. You just happen to like the "more time to unlock true potential" trope better, which is, incidentally, the entire basis of Bleach.

I thought Naruto's rasengan training was pretty great. I like good training arcs in general, because the pay-off is usually much bigger.

Reknoc

That's what I like about the gears and the other strawhats power ups during Impel Down, they all have a (oda-)science to them. Except Zoro's, I don't even know what that was, but it's Zoro so who cares.

Nice foreshadowing to Ace's death here. This is why I love Oda.

I don't know what you're trying to say here, especially by drawing comparisons to Fairy Tail.

Also every arc after Thriller Bark which is just loss after loss lol

I thought Naruto's rasengan training was pretty great. I like good training arcs in general, because the pay-off is usually much bigger.

Yea, that's a good one. Mostly because it's not just a training arc.

Akito

Kongou Banchou 14

One of the most satisfying punches I've ever seen. I figured he couldn't be the Banchou but seeing him getting thrashed was still hilarious. So here comes the infamous cowardly Banchou, his outfit of choice is... interesting?

Duress

So I haven't read Berserk in a while, has the main story progressed that much? It's been at least 2 years since I've read, and I'm pretty sure I was caught up by then.

Qvoth

so out of the 3 new series, only muto black is a battle shonen?
man that's disappointing

any raws for this yet?

from the synopsis this is an edo era aikido jujitsu manga or something

Akito

Kongou Banchou 16
The cowardly Banchou is a bastard alright but I don't think he deserves that much hyping , he also falters pretty quickly. Also Kongou 1, wrecking ball 0, I don't even recognize the whip as a proper opponent.

Which one, the one where he infuses it with wind chakra or the regular one?

Naruto + Rasengan was never just about learning the move itself though. My memory of the regular Rasengan is pretty blurry but the Rasenshuriken helped establish several things like the legacy of the fourth, elemental chakra and the alternate use of Kage Bunshin were much more important. Without explaining those, many of the fights afterwards wouldn't have made any sense.

Creating a training arc to explain Luffy's Gears serves no purpose besides explaining the Gears. It didn't introduce some radically new concepts that couldn't be conveyed by actually showing the Gears. Some might want to know how and why but they do not need to in order to understand the story or the fights.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59040277]Dio's not such a bad guy.[/QUOTE]

Are you trying to become JoJo's brotkasten?

Assassination Classroom 43
tumblr_mnb6vvQrWF1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Somehow was just a memorable moment more so than a few of the other scenes. Perhaps they could use this weakness against him in the end, seemed not swimming is one of the more substantial weaknesses shown so far, assuming they will add up to or be used at the end of the day. I wonder if the wikia (if there is one) has been keeping track.

Karmakun gave the most hilarious moments to me, lol.

Reknoc

not surprised you luddites wouldnt understand the greatness of nakama

now if youll excuse me i must return to fixing the attack on titan scanlations by replacing all instances of titan with eoten

Akito

Kongou Banchou 18
That's just sweet. I never mentioned this but Hinako is great as a comic relief character.

Kongou Banchou 20
Something doesn't add up here, I guess Kangou is Rai's brother rather than his father.

Which one, the one where he infuses it with wind chakra or the regular one?

Naruto + Rasengan was never just about learning the move itself though. My memory of the regular Rasengan is pretty blurry but the Rasenshuriken helped establish several things like the legacy of the fourth, elemental chakra and the alternate use of Kage Bunshin were much more important. Without explaining those, many of the fights afterwards wouldn't have made any sense.

Creating a training arc to explain Luffy's Gears serves no purpose besides explaining the Gears. It didn't introduce some radically new concepts that couldn't be conveyed by actually showing the Gears. Some might want to know how and why but they do not need to in order to understand the story or the fights.

It was the "Finding Tsunade" arc, which is probably the reason why it wasn't a pure training arc. That doesn't mean Oda couldn't do a similar story tie-in.

Are you trying to become JoJo's brotkasten?

Hey! It's not my fault you guys can't see the light of the one and only true savior.

Kurita

so out of the 3 new series, only muto black is a battle shonen?
man that's disappointing

any raws for this yet?

from the synopsis this is an edo era aikido jujitsu manga or something

There's a raw for Mutou Black 1 yes.

I don't see how not having 3 battle mangas is disappointing though.

Edit : where is DTL's avatar?

Akito

Kongou Banchou 23
Holy shit, is Kongou's father a titan? This could explain his statue and strength I guess, on the other hand there are tons of huge people in this manga.

Kongou Banchou 26
Well well, look who are back, I like where this is going, the banchou of the week formula was getting a little stale.

It's crazy how much stuff happened so far after merely 3 volumes, I had a feeling it was way more than that.

Shouta

Kongou Bancho is too good. Kind of wish I hadn't sold the series before I came back to the US. I had all the tanks.

DarkMehm

Kenichi 523

Anybody else think this will be Ippo 2.0 and go beyond 1000 chapters? Kenichi still isn't anywhere near master level and it doesn't look like he will anytime soon.

Akito

Kongou Banchou 28
Haha, I did not expect the 4 loser banchou to transfer to Kongou's class

Kongou Banchou 29
This chapter reminds me of the Fumoffu episode where Sousuke used intel to blackmail the delinquents, which is a good thing.

Kongou Banchou 31
Meh, the fight kinda sucked, the kangoku banchou is a push-over

Kongou Banchou 33
What the... this fight shifted from a "regular" but quite slimy one to a disgusting food contest to a "insult your opponent" battle.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yea, I meant what was Glass Rebel's point for showing that panel.

Well, I don't think that particular panel, where Luffy said "I have a new attack!"--then in the future he uses that attack--is foreshadowing.

Me too. It came out of nowhere.

MangaGAF "foreshadowing" is a loaded term that means, "my preferred manga is superior to yours."

DarkMehm

Hajime no Ippo 30-41

This has some really funny panels sometimes. The trainings are interesting too. A very good manga I must say.

I see we are back to the "cherry picking elements to make my manga superior/your's inferior" horseshit. :/

It's like WednesdayGAF never ended.

MangaGAF "foreshadowing" is a loaded term that means, "my preferred manga is superior to yours."

It's time for you to accept Oda as your one and only true mangaka. I mean, look at this amazing foreshadowing only Oda could come up with.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nisekoi

You gotta be fucking kidding me.

ralph-fail.gif

People in MangaGAF legitimately don't even know what foreshadowing is. A character saying, "I have a new attack" and then using the attack isn't fucking foreshadowing anyways; that's just laying a foundation for a plot element.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom