• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I just think Batman is a silly concept in the first place.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
ffs a Baby Steps chapter is out? It actually pisses me off when they pull one out every month. Someone else needs to just snipe it. Its not like its ever going to be licensed.

Angry Grimace

Baby Steps 162

Only Maruo would "harness his anger" in such a clinical, scientific manner.
KuGsj.gif

Blusby

Ya'll should all be readin' some Knights of Sidonia (I just got caught up). I guess it's either Bokurano or Nausicaa next for me.

dramatis

I just think Batman is a silly concept in the first place.
...We talk about orange ninjas, Japanese people with orange hair, rubbery pirates, food that make people orgasm, monster girls, mary jane chickens, and so on...The most normal of the bunch is probably that bald guy who doesn't like people mentioning his (lack of) hair.

Angry Grimace

...We talk about orange ninjas, Japanese people with orange hair, rubbery pirates, food that make people orgasm, monster girls, mary jane chickens, and so on...The most normal of the bunch is probably that bald guy who doesn't like people mentioning his (lack of) hair.

The problem is Batman in a modern-seeming universe where a guy in a bat suit is fucking weird. At the very least, Naruto exists in a universe where everyone runs with their arms behind their backs and shoots fire from their mouths.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Difference is, all those others are unabashedly fantasy.

Nolan tried to do Batman realistically (and he succeeded as much as anyone could), but that doesn't make the setup any less silly.

upandaway

ffs a Baby Steps chapter is out? It actually pisses me off when they pull one out every month. Someone else needs to just snipe it. Its not like its ever going to be licensed.
look look wait okay LOOK:
I also lied about going back to watching series, since I ended up doing baby steps, but now, for real, I’m going there. I’m currently watching Royal Pains if any of you is interested in what I’m watching, which I doubt lol.

They have to be doing this on purpose, there hasn't been a single freaking update post without something like this. I seriously only went there to check if he did and bam, guess what.
I need someone to fan me this is too stressful

DarkMehm

I don't like scan groups (sry if anyone here is in one). They have this entitlement that the series they scanlate are theirs. Either do it or don't do it if you clearly don't have the time or motivation. It's that simple.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Is there an estimate on how many chapters are left of this?

They're releasing vol 20 soon. I think it'll go up to volume 25-30. There are roughly 4 chapters in each volume so at the minimum 20 more chapters. It's great though. It's a bit slow to start but absolutely phenomenal for the past... 30 chapters or so.

Angry Grimace

I don't like scan groups (sry if anyone here is in one). They have this entitlement that the series they scanlate are theirs. Either do it or don't do it if you clearly don't have the time or motivation. It's that simple.

Well, to some extent I agree with them that they shouldn't have their series sniped unless they're not trying or they're really bad. The group that does, for example, Shoukugeki no Soma isn't particularly fast, but they aren't glacially slow and they do a very good job on it. It would be kind of fucked up for someone else to just come snatch it because they could put it out a day faster. People don't often read multiple translations so the first out is generally the only one people read.

My problem with Baby Steps is that its obviously a very low priority for that group.

Blusby

They're releasing vol 20 soon. I think it'll go up to volume 25-30. There are roughly 4 chapters in each volume so at the minimum 20 more chapters. It's great though. It's a bit slow to start but absolutely phenomenal for the past... 30 chapters or so.

Ah, I may pick it up again, I remember really enjoying this some years ago when it was in the mid-40's chapter-wise.

DarkMehm

Well, to some extent I agree with them that they shouldn't have their series sniped unless they're not trying or they're really bad. The group that does, for example, Shoukugeki no Soma isn't particularly fast, but they aren't glacially slow and they do a very good job on it. It would be kind of fucked up for someone else to just come snatch it because they could put it out a day faster. People don't often read multiple translations so the first out is generally the only one people read.

My problem with Baby Steps is that its obviously a very low priority for that group.

Yeah, I mean those groups that release like 5 chapters a year and are like "just thank us, we're the best. we have everything under control and don't need collaborations".

Angry Grimace

Its just weird to me that pretty much every anime features people who run with their arms behind their backs at all times (runners just do that at the finish line). I saw it again in the anime for Shingeki no Kyojin.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Its just weird to me that pretty much every anime features people who run with their arms behind their backs at all times (runners just do that at the finish line). I saw it again in the anime for Shingeki no Kyojin.

Ah, this one actually makes a little sense cause they're carrying 3 foot razor blades and it helps to keep them out of the way.

At least that's how I explain it in my mind.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Bleach (No chapter, just talkin [a lot, jeeze])

So I've been thinking about Ichigo's zanpakuto. Once we found out about the asauchi, it started to become really weird that Ichigo had a zanpakuto at all. One was never made for him, or given to him. He's had three (and a half) swords, and I'm tryin to figure out what their deal is.

Sword 1 he manifested right after he took virtually all of Rukia's power. This isn't actually Zangetsu, it's just some weird stolen power, and after he got it Rukia was in white robes and had no sword. So I'm assuming that one way or another he actually stole her asauchi here, or its essence. (She probably got a new one forged after the SS arc.) I can deal with that, probably. The reason he was so strong is that her power being injected into him interacted and awakened his own shinigami blood to a tiny degree.

Sword 2 is Zangetsu proper, after Urahara awakens his "own" shinigami powers, but what he's actually doing there is awakening his hollow powers. Which is pretty obvious, Urahara's entire method here is to literally turn Ichigo into a hollow. But once he suppresses his hollow, all of a sudden he's a shinigami, and got a zanpakuto. Later on in his inner world we find out that his hollow and Zangetsu are actually the same power. So maybe Zangetsu was never actually a real zanpakuto. Ichigo's shinigami blood allowed him to contort and manifest his hollow power as a sword, and go through the traditional shinigami transformations. Which might be why his sword's name is so similar to his father's (Engetsu), why they can both do Getsuga Tenshou, and why they can both do Final Getsuga Tenshou. Cause Ichigo's "shinigami half" is literally just a hollowed-up version of his father's power, not actually born of his own zanpakuto. (Cause he never GOT his own zanpakuto.)

Sword 2.5 he has after the dangai training. It's fused with his hand, and doesn't seem to be a shikai or bankai or anything of the sort. It's just "his sword." Aizen's comments on how his sword is the same, also fused to his hand, and suggests this is the "true form" of their swords or something like that. Maybe since both of them had, to varying degrees, "transcended" beyond the shinigami or hollow roles, we were indeed seeing blades that weren't traditional zanpakuto. In Ichigo's case, quite explicitly a mixture between hollow and shinigami power. Tensa Zangetsu, after all, is literally half zangetsu and half hollow Ichigo.

Sword 3 he has after borrowing everyone else's power after most of his is stolen away by Ginjo. Tense Zangetsu made him lose his "shinigami" power, but some of his hollow power musta still been there, since hollow power is the foundation of Fullbringing. I'm not entirely sure what Ginjo actually stole from him in the end, there. His fullbring, sure, but what was that exactly? Was it literally his hollow power? Does he now actually LACK his hollow power? Either way, though, he got stabbed with that shinigami sword just like with Rukia in the beginning, and he's rocking stolen powers again. His current (broken) sword is just another imitation, sorta formed together as a conglomeration of a ton of disparate reiatsus. He was super strong, but I wonder why he was so strong. All his powering up throughout the manga, it wasn't still in him, was it? That was all either burnt out or stolen at that point. So is he that strong only because the sword he got stuck in him was full of so many captain-level shinigami? I'm thinking that's probably the case. Regardless, yes, that sword is a gibberish sword just like his very first one.

So now he's getting forged his fourth sword. If I'm right with any of this, it seems like Ichigo has just never had a proper zanpakuto throughout the entire history of the manga (and didn't even realize it, which was why all the asauchi were kicking his ass I guess), and he's only now finally going to get one. So will it even BE Zangetsu? Zangetsu was heavily based on his dad's sword, and half-based on his hollow. Will this sword be based solely on Ichigo, and end up completely different? Will it end up quincy-inspired in some capacity? I dunno man!!! But I think we might see something pretty radically different.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Usain Bolt doesn't count, he'd win even if he ran backwards. With his shoes untied. Fueled only by chicken nuggets.

Racist! :p

Shokugeki No Soma

Welp they just gave an out for why Tadokoro and Soma will be able to compete with this instructor.

Vinland Saga

The plot is moving along quite nicely, but i wanted to see Canute and his men slaughtering everyone haha.

Witch Hunter

Tasha has Halloween´s back, something that is obvious.

1 great manga one great manwha came out on Tuesday. It´s a great Tuesday.

Angry Grimace

Shokugeki no Tadokoro

I'm still hoping there's a tie rather than the students actually winning.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59769613]The official English localization of GTO is the gold standard of all manga translation. If someone else posts that they're looking for scans of GTO ever again I'm gonna go to their house and shit in their mailbox.[/QUOTE]
The French translation is really, really awesome. It set a standard amongst the post-GTO translations in France (how things were translated, the glossary at the beginning with the translator's notes, etc).

Ocha Nigosu 1 - 27
Ok this is really awesome !

Kurita

The French translation is really, really awesome. It set a standard amongst the post-GTO translations in France (how things were translated, the glossary at the beginning with the translator's notes, etc).

There are still numerous mangas who don't do the translator notes/glossary thing and completely change some cultural references. So annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom