• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTZ| Reading Shounen Garbage < Watching Moe Garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Steel Ball Run vol.3
Love that cover.
Another great volume, this part has been consistently good and entertaining since the beginning.
Gyro is definitely a great character, one of the coolest MCs of the franchise.

The Johnny Gyro duo might be my favourite main character combination in any JoJo part, slightly over Joseph Caesar.

Pizza Mozarella~

Wiseblade

That's kind of my thought. They don't really operate on the same laws of justice and honor that everyone else does (*by which I mean, modern notions) and they really did murder his entire clan preemptively because they thought they were dicks. Sure, Raikage probably would be pissed off, but Raikage also had Neji's dad murdered in a political plot to kidnap Hinata and rip her eyes out.

They're in the middle of fighting a gigantic World Crushing monster. Context. Moreover, Naruto has literally always been that way from Chapter 1 until now. That's like complaining that Goku is stupid. No shit.

There's "We need to have words after we deal with this doomsday monster and evil zombie" and then there's "Sasuke-kun! My love for you burns hotter than Amaterasu!"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That being said though, I will stand by my statement that out of all of Kishimoto's characters that got shitted on by him, Sakura undoubtedly had the most potential in terms of both personality and ninja repertoire. It's not even close.

A shame Kishi didn't capitalize on that potential. She could've been a fascinating character to watch grow in the same vein as Zuko.

He came up with a great world and a great cast of characters, that's why the whole thing pisses me off. He's just not a good enough writer to do his own ideas justice.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
There's "We need to have words after we deal with this doomsday monster and evil zombie" and then there's "Sasuke-kun! My love for you burns hotter than Amaterasu!"

Neither of which actually occurred, so you're arguing against your own fantasy scenario.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
And Sakura has more than proven herself capable in battle. Remember, she fought sasori.

The problem is that naruto and sasuke are just in a completely different league. Sakura's even worse at long range combat than naruto was pre sage/9-tails modes, since at least naruto has deception tactics with his clones to get close to his opponent.

She's strong, but it's hard to take her seriously next to guys like Nagato, Sasuke, Itachi, and Naruto.

He came up with a great world and a great cast of characters, that's why the whole thing pisses me off. He's just not a good enough writer to do his own ideas justice.

I feel like he should've introduced the other villages, like he did for the war, back in Part 1, back when shit meant something.

Cloud village is best village.

I agree. Kishi could really spend some time fleshing out the ninja world and characters but this is shounen and so he decides to focus on the action. I was hoping the anime would that.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think Kishimoto is a great writer by any means, but most people here hate him for an illusory reason, e.g. they believe without any real reason that the plot of Naruto has plot holes and/or is inconsistent, when its not inconsistent at all.

Wiseblade

Neither of which actually occurred, so you're arguing against your own fantasy scenario.

*Naruto and sasuke save Sakura from 10-Tail spawn*

"Sasuke-kun!"

Sakura goes out of her way to thank Sasuke before Naruto AFTER HE PROMISED TO KILL HER. And the rookie nine seemed to be over Sasuke's betrayl by the start of this chapter, too. Seems like Ino was never under it.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
And Sakura has more than proven herself capable in battle. Remember, she fought sasori.

The problem is that naruto and sasuke are just in a completely different league. Sakura's even worse at long range combat than naruto was pre sage/9-tails modes, since at least naruto has deception tactics with his clones to get close to his opponent.

She's strong, but it's hard to take her seriously next to guys like Nagato, Sasuke, Itachi, and Naruto.

Lets be real, she had a lot of help in that fight.

I feel like he should've introduced the other villages, like he did for the war, back in Part 1, back when shit meant something.

He should have just made it a more personal story, done some village vs village political stuff and get rid of Obito's master plan (Pain's was fine). He could have gotten the same message across and had a better story at the same time.

I agree. Kishi could really spend some time fleshing out the ninja world and characters but this is shounen and so he decides to focus on the action. I was hoping the anime would that.

There are entire arcs he could keep, the invasion arc for one, if he wrote a more focused story. There could still be action, lots of action just none of this DBZ world ending stuff.

GaimeGuy

Oh yeah, he created an interesting world, but his actual world/character building suck.

If he actually had the foresight to come up with these concepts, characters, and stories earlier and build towards them, he'd be terrific.

"Sasuke-kun!"

Sakura goes out of her way to thank Sasuke before Naruto AFTER HE PROMISED TO KILL HER. And the rookie nine seemed to be over Sasuke's betrayl by the start of this chapter, too. Seems like Ino was never under it.

Well at least Shikamaru is still skeptical. The only good ninja out of the bunch

Angry Grimace

"Sasuke-kun!"

I think you're reaching here. Quite substantially.

Lets be real, she had a lot of help in that fight.

I've never once understood the point of this complaint. Is there some "goodness" factor derived from a one on one fight?

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!

"Sasuke-kun!"

I think you are ascribing more value to that "kun" than is there.

She's just surprised and happy that he's there at all, of course he's gonna get all the attention. And he's there acting friendly, I think you're harping on that "gonna kill ya" bit a bit much here. People say all sorts of things when they're on opposite sides of a conflict. And now he's not on that side. Yes, it is not a magical you're-forgiven potion but you're delusional if you think it makes more sense for Sakura to be exclusively focusing on a grudge about something a totally-insane and near-blind hate-raged Sasuke said to her ages ago.

"Sasuke-kun!"

Um...what? You do realize she thanked Sasuke first because he was the first one she saw after they had her back. You're acting as if Sakura completely ignored Naruto...when she didn't...at all.

Angry Grimace

Wut. How is he reaching?

"Thanks for saving me right there Sasuke" = "I forgive you Sasuke, you aren't a bad guy whatsoever." Moreover, its plot-consistent even to the extent we buy into that. The plot doesn't exist in subtext.

Bleach

I just had a theory with regards to Zangetsu and the last page of this chapter. Hichigo is Zangetsu, but Hichigo is a borrowed/inherited/not his own power, from his mother, which in turn makes Zangetsu a barrowed power even though it´s his own. Therefor when Ichigo regained his shinigami powers we have not seen Zangetsu, nor Hichigo. Now that Ichigo chose his zampakto which has also hollow powers, it might mean that this new zampakto is not Zangetsu and the hollow is not Hichigo but Ichigo´s own hollow not his mother´s uber hollow. Anyhow this is my theory for now. Ichigo gets his own zampakto with a new name and a new hollow.

Naruto
The salt in here regarding Sakura is getting, kind of, frightening actually.

I fear for this thread's sanity if Hinata is brushed to the side in the end
I wish you stop saying the words hate and salt. It´s not true. People are pissed off at Sakura resurgence because she has been largely irrelevant for like 90% of the second part. She has acted like a dick towards Naruto and confessed that she loved him even though she did not. She almost died by Sasuke´s hands, yet she acts like nothing has happened. She has not showed any kind of skill to match Naruto and Sasuke. Now she says that she is at their level. She is not. And the best part is she said that she does not need protection from them anymore just 2 seconds later to be protected by them. She has barely developed, both mentally and power wise. Now she has shown a skill that requires 3 years to use, or at least to be this powerful, and that still does not make her on the same level of Naruto and Sasuke.

Yonafunu

She's just surprised and happy that he's there at all, of course he's gonna get all the attention. And he's there acting friendly, I think you're harping on that "gonna kill ya" bit a bit much here. People say all sorts of things when they're on opposite sides of a conflict. And now he's not on that side. Yes, it is not a magical you're-forgiven potion but you're delusional if you think it makes more sense for Sakura to be exclusively focusing on a grudge about something a totally-insane and near-blind hate-raged Sasuke said to her ages ago.

He actually tried to kill her. Like, for real.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
He actually tried to kill her. Like, for real.

She actually tried to kill him, too. Twice! It was a shitty situation for all those involved.

It was a long time ago, a LOT of things have happened, Sasuke's acting completely different, and there are other priorities.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Bleach

I just had a theory with regards to Zangetsu and the last page of this chapter. Hichigo is Zangetsu, but Hichigo is a borrowed/inherited/not his own power, from his mother, which in turn makes Zangetsu a barrowed power even though it´s his own. Therefor when Ichigo regained his shinigami powers we have not seen Zangetsu, nor Hichigo. Now that Ichigo chose his zampakto which has also hollow powers, it might mean that this new zampakto is not Zangetsu and the hollow is not Hichigo but Ichigo´s own hollow not his mother´s uber hollow. Anyhow this is my theory for now. Ichigo gets his own zampakto with a new name and a new hollow.

Did you read my stupidly large post a few pages back about this stuff? I'd be interested to hear what you think.

[Edit] Oops, DP. Sorry dudes.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
It's as if you guys are truly forgetting the terrible way Sakura has acted towards Naruto since the time skip and the horrible way that Sasuke has treated Sakura from day one.

I would love it if Sasuke was trolling everyone and killed Sakura when he gained their trust back so easily. That'll learn the idiots.
Did you read my stupidly large post a few pages back about this stuff? I'd be interested to hear what you think.
Let me go read it. Even though I haven't read today's Bleach chapter yet.

Bleach

I wish you stop saying the words hate and salt. It´s not true. People are pissed off at Sakura resurgence because she has been largely irrelevant for like 90% of the second part. She has acted like a dick towards Naruto and confessed that she loved him even though she did not. She almost died by Sasuke´s hands, yet she acts like nothing has happened. She has not showed any kind of skill to match Naruto and Sasuke. Now she says that she is at their level. She is not. And the best part is she said that she does not need protection from them anymore just 2 seconds later to be protected by them. She has barely developed, both mentally and power wise. Now she has shown a skill that requires 3 years to use, or at least to be this powerful, and that still does not make her on the same level of Naruto and Sasuke.
Most of her "acting like a dick" is totally in line with pretty much every tsundere in the anime/manga world. I'll never defend that dumbshit in the Kage Summit arc, but that's a given. But really, every time she's hit Naruto in Part 2, it was pretty much justified as he was either doing something completely idiotic or being a pervert. You're acting like she was abusing him (which is an extreme stretch even for a hypothetical) just for the hell of it or without probable cause, which is completely absurd and reeks of hyperbole. She's no worse than Kagome for making Inuyasha sit, Nami for hitting the other crew members, Rukia hitting Ichigo, Winry with Ed and Al, etc.

Yes, she did almost die by Sasuke's hands, and as of now still shows feelings for him, that being said, they are in the middle of a war where a psychotic monster is on the loose. They can sort out whatever bullshit they need to at a later time.

Angry Grimace

She actually tried to kill him, too. Twice! It was a shitty situation for all those involved.

It was a long time ago, a LOT of things have happened, Sasuke's acting completely different, and there are other priorities.

Its not that she should forgive him, its that they're in the middle of a gigantic battle, its been in-universe like 5 minutes since he showed up, and they couldn't afford to attack Sasuke right now anyways.

Moreover, its weird to suggest that Naruto (which is on the low end of the story-depth scale) has some higher standard of interpersonal relationships; this isn't an uncommon fantasy trope. Bulma had several of Vegeta's children even though he murdered all of her friends several times and attempted to destroy the entire planet and willingly accepted the power of evil a second time. Scar got karma-houdini'd despite molecularly deconstructing Winry's parents's heads.

Wiseblade

I don't think you're harping on about it enough. For the vast majority of their professional careers, Sasuke has been an enemy of the village. The last time Sasuke and Sakura saw each other, he attempted to kill her and promised to finish the job next time they met. The fact that she did'nt bury a kunai in his back the second he dropped is laughable.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I don't think you're harping on about it enough. For the vast majority of their professional careers, Sasuke has been an enemy of the village. The last time Sasuke and Sakura saw each other, he attempted to kill her and promised to finish the job next time they met. The fact that she did'nt bury a kunai in his back the second he dropped is laughable.

Okay so it is clear now that you are talking about hypothetical characters that do not exist, and how they should act if they had experienced the same things these actual characters had. No one could actually believe that Sakura immediately trying to kill Sasuke would be in keeping with her character or any of the themes of this manga whatsoever.

"Sakura the bloodthirsty kunoichi, known for her split-second decisions to kill."

Bleach (No chapter, just talkin [a lot, jeeze])

So I've been thinking about Ichigo's zanpakuto. Once we found out about the asauchi, it started to become really weird that Ichigo had a zanpakuto at all. One was never made for him, or given to him. He's had three (and a half) swords, and I'm tryin to figure out what their deal is.

Sword 1 he manifested right after he took virtually all of Rukia's power. This isn't actually Zangetsu, it's just some weird stolen power, and after he got it Rukia was in white robes and had no sword. So I'm assuming that one way or another he actually stole her asauchi here, or its essence. (She probably got a new one forged after the SS arc.) I can deal with that, probably. The reason he was so strong is that her power being injected into him interacted and awakened his own shinigami blood to a tiny degree.

Sword 2 is Zangetsu proper, after Urahara awakens his "own" shinigami powers, but what he's actually doing there is awakening his hollow powers. Which is pretty obvious, Urahara's entire method here is to literally turn Ichigo into a hollow. But once he suppresses his hollow, all of a sudden he's a shinigami, and got a zanpakuto. Later on in his inner world we find out that his hollow and Zangetsu are actually the same power. So maybe Zangetsu was never actually a real zanpakuto. Ichigo's shinigami blood allowed him to contort and manifest his hollow power as a sword, and go through the traditional shinigami transformations. Which might be why his sword's name is so similar to his father's (Engetsu), why they can both do Getsuga Tenshou, and why they can both do Final Getsuga Tenshou. Cause Ichigo's "shinigami half" is literally just a hollowed-up version of his father's power, not actually born of his own zanpakuto. (Cause he never GOT his own zanpakuto.)

Sword 2.5 he has after the dangai training. It's fused with his hand, and doesn't seem to be a shikai or bankai or anything of the sort. It's just "his sword." Aizen's comments on how his sword is the same, also fused to his hand, and suggests this is the "true form" of their swords or something like that. Maybe since both of them had, to varying degrees, "transcended" beyond the shinigami or hollow roles, we were indeed seeing blades that weren't traditional zanpakuto. In Ichigo's case, quite explicitly a mixture between hollow and shinigami power. Tensa Zangetsu, after all, is literally half zangetsu and half hollow Ichigo.

Sword 3 he has after borrowing everyone else's power after most of his is stolen away by Ginjo. Tense Zangetsu made him lose his "shinigami" power, but some of his hollow power musta still been there, since hollow power is the foundation of Fullbringing. I'm not entirely sure what Ginjo actually stole from him in the end, there. His fullbring, sure, but what was that exactly? Was it literally his hollow power? Does he now actually LACK his hollow power? Either way, though, he got stabbed with that shinigami sword just like with Rukia in the beginning, and he's rocking stolen powers again. His current (broken) sword is just another imitation, sorta formed together as a conglomeration of a ton of disparate reiatsus. He was super strong, but I wonder why he was so strong. All his powering up throughout the manga, it wasn't still in him, was it? That was all either burnt out or stolen at that point. So is he that strong only because the sword he got stuck in him was full of so many captain-level shinigami? I'm thinking that's probably the case. Regardless, yes, that sword is a gibberish sword just like his very first one.

So now he's getting forged his fourth sword. If I'm right with any of this, it seems like Ichigo has just never had a proper zanpakuto throughout the entire history of the manga (and didn't even realize it, which was why all the asauchi were kicking his ass I guess), and he's only now finally going to get one. So will it even BE Zangetsu? Zangetsu was heavily based on his dad's sword, and half-based on his hollow. Will this sword be based solely on Ichigo, and end up completely different? Will it end up quincy-inspired in some capacity? I dunno man!!! But I think we might see something pretty radically different.

Pretty good description i would say, just to adjust a point. The 2.5 is his complete zampakto and not a new one. We know well that Ichigo has never mastered Zangetsu until Final Getsuga Tensho. Which is why he knows only one technique. Ichigo never talked to Zangetsu before the final showdown with Aizen. Ichigo always was fighting Zangetsu and his hollow to gain power. That´s not how one achieves harmony and gains strength through harmony with ones soul and when one has that then one would be in harmony with his zampakto. Ichigo has never had that until he just chose his Asushi. Ichigo was afraid of his hollow, Aizen, and his resolve shattered quickly etc.... Which is why this zampakto will be Ichigo calm and harmonious soul chose will be more powerful than any other he had. At least that how i see it.

Wiseblade

Its not that she should forgive him, its that they're in the middle of a gigantic battle, its been in-universe like 5 minutes since he showed up, and they couldn't afford to attack Sasuke right now anyways.

Moreover, its weird to suggest that Naruto (which is on the low end of the story-depth scale) has some higher standard of interpersonal relationships; this isn't an uncommon fantasy trope. Bulma had several of Vegeta's children even though he murdered all of her friends several times and attempted to destroy the entire planet and willingly accepted the power of evil a second time. Scar got karma-houdini'd despite molecularly deconstructing Winry's parents's heads.

Bulma lives in a world where her friends literally just hang out waiting to be revived. Over the course of DB, Krillin died THREE TIMES. Secondly, Vegeta never (directly) tried to kill Bulma.

Okay so it is clear now that you are talking about hypothetical characters that do not exist, and how they should act if they had experienced the same things these actual characters had. No one could actually believe that Sakura immediately trying to kill Sasuke would be in keeping with her character or any of the themes of this manga whatsoever.

"Sakura the bloodthirsty kunoichi, known for her split-second decisions to kill."

Self preservation =/= bloodthirst.

Angry Grimace

Bulma lives in a world where her friends literally just hang out waiting to be revived. Over the course of DB, Krillin died THREE TIMES. Secondly, Vegeta never (directly) tried to kill Bulma.

I don't understand how the non-permanency of death in that world makes it any different. He actively attempted to harm far larger numbers of people and the destruction of the world would destroy the Dragon Balls also. I'm not sure how you figure literally attempting genocide is somehow WORSE than attempting to kill Sakura, particularly given that at the event in question, Sakura was attempting to kill Sasuke.

People get mad when the characters are consistent AND criticise them for inconsistency (even though I would contend the characters and plot are largely consistent). Its silly.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Pretty good description i would say, just to adjust a point. The 2.5 is his complete zampakto and not a new one. We know well that Ichigo has never mastered Zangetsu until Final Getsuga Tensho. Which is why he knows only one technique. Ichigo never talked to Zangetsu before the final showdown with Aizen. Ichigo always was fighting Zangetsu and his hollow to gain power. That´s not how one achieves harmony and gains strength through harmony with ones soul and when one has that then one would be in harmony with his zampakto. Ichigo has never had that until he just chose his Asushi. Ichigo was afraid of his hollow, Aizen, and his resolve shattered quickly etc.... Which is why this zampakto will be Ichigo calm and harmonious soul chose will be more powerful than any other he had. At least that how i see it.

What I'm wondering now is if he'll be able to just pull his new bankai out of his ass or what. He had to go through all this training to get it working with Zangetsu, and then with his third sword after the Fullbring arc he was able to bankai with no additional training whatsoever. He still had all the same attacks, though, getsuga tenshou and the same kind of bankai. And with this royal guard guy saying to bid farewell to Zangetsu, I guess the implication is that his third sword actually is still Zangetsu. Which is weird, since he burnt it out entirely before. But maybe its nature as a not-actually-really-a-zanpakutou let it get recharged and revamped like that.

Either way, though, this new sword isn't going to be Zangetsu. So the question remains, will he asspull his bankai (or hell, even his shikai) just like that? Are shikai and bankai skills that are learned within the shinigami and persist from sword to sword, despite different manifestations? I guess there probably hasn't ever actually been a case like this in soul society's history for precedent.

It's still nutso to think she'd proactively move to kill him out of self preservation the second he appears, especially when he appeared without any aggressive intent. Again, you are describing how "some character" might react, but everything we know about Sakura implies the opposite. She'd probably be too surprised to see him to have any kind of meaningful reaction, honestly. Even if he came at her immediately it'd have to be Naruto who would move to block his attack. She'd be stuck in :O for a good five seconds after he showed up. Even if she could react faster, she'd definitely only defend.

Wiseblade

I don't understand how the non-permanency of death in that world makes it any different. He actively attempted to harm far larger numbers of people and the destruction of the world would destroy the Dragon Balls also.

Bulma's lack of foresight when it comes to men was a recurring character trait. she gladly offered herself up to Oolong when he was kidnapping and doing who-knows-what to young girls because he could transform into a handsome man. Bulma was planning a lifetime with Zarbon as he was preparing to kill Vegeta and Krillin in front of her. If anything, Shacking up with Vegeta when he no longer had any desire to destroy the planet was a moment of rationality for her.

Angry Grimace

Bulma's lack of foresight when it comes to men was a recurring character trait. she gladly offered herself up to Oolong when he was kidnapping and doing who-knows-what to young girls because he could transform into a handsome man. Bulma was planning a lifetime with Zarbon as he was preparing to kill Vegeta and Krillin in front of her. If anything, Shacking up with Vegeta when he no longer had any desire to destroy the planet was a moment of rationality for her.

And Sakura's devotion to Sasuke isn't? Naruto explicitly called her out on that.

Why is Bulma's lack of foresight to men (which can sort of be compared to Sakura) acceptable, but Sakura's devotion to Sasuke (however you may feel personally about it), isn't?

That's called a double standard.

Wiseblade

I've totally lost track of what we're arguing about.

But anyway, I'll accept Bulma's silliness because she's a joke character, but Sakura is supposed to be taken seriously.

Angry Grimace

Why is Bulma's lack of foresight to men (which can sort of be compared to Sakura) acceptable, but Sakura's devotion to Sasuke (however you may feel personally about it), isn't?

That's called a double standard.

I think its even more egregious because Sasuke is a more complicated character than Vegeta is and Sakura is a more fleshed out character than Bulma was. Moreover, Sakura has had significant amounts of character interaction with Sasuke, and Bulma basically didn't.

I've totally lost track of what we're arguing about.

But anyway, I'll accept Bulma's silliness because she's a joke character, but Sakura is supposed to be taken seriously.

You're trying to have it both ways by both making a comparison AND saying its irrelevant at the same time. Its entirely consistent with the character that's been presented; whether you like the Sakura character or not isn't really relevant because you aren't necessarily supposed to agree with her.

GaimeGuy

It wasn't just saying things... he sliced at her throat with her poisoned kunai without hesitation.

Wiseblade

1) Sakura is stupid. Sasuke tried to kill you, why are you buddying up to him!

2) Bulma is dumber, but it's okay because she's a joke character anyway.

3) Sasuke is stupid. Nobody will want you as Hokage when you plotted to kill them!

4) Vegeta is dumber, but it's okay because it's not like he wants to be Guardian of the earth or anything.

5) Naruto is stupid. Sasuke promised to kill you, why are you buddying up to him!

6) Goku is dumber, but it's okay because...

There, problem solved!

GaimeGuy

Don't forget her lusting over General Blue.

LeleSocho

Banned
I1nl3wO.png

Aside from the bad grammar here's why Sasuke wasn't shitted on when he appeared

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
It wasn't just saying things... he sliced at her throat with her poisoned kunai without hesitation.

She did the same thing to him twice. Not the "without hesitation" part, obviously, since she actually stopped herself the second time. But that whole situation was a clusterfuck of people trying to kill each other. I have the feeling that someone trying to kill someone else isn't the hugest deal when it comes to a society of people raised from youth to become literal killers. You get over it. The ninja world is a crazy place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom