• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm playing as Male Shepard now. It's the first time in either ME1 or 2. Jeesh, thankfully I used the Obama face code but the voice acting sounds so stiff. It's hard to get used to it, especially when I hear him deliver the same lines that Hale does.

Skel said:
IMO though the mission you get him is one of the worst in the game.

Those fucking husks and abominations are so goddamn annoying. They remind me of the wretches in Gears 1. Not to mention they throw the Scions at you too, but that Collector Sniper you get (if you choose it) takes them down in like 3 shots.

I kinda liked it, but it did get incredibly annoying..
I recall somebody mentioning that if you don't advance to a certain point, the enemies will keep respawning.. So that may have been why the Husks were such a bitch, cuz when I died the first couple of times they were respawning endlessly, then I finally moved up a little bit and it just stopped... Very annoying level nonetheless.

Didn't know if what I typed was considered a spoiler, so I tagged it just in case.

Beowulf28

Zeliard said:
Is
Reaper IFF
the point of no return?
In terms of the story yes, but in gameplay terms not really. Your ending might change if you dick around too much after doing that mission.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Ysiadmihi said:
Does the PC version support mods?

Not at the moment and its unlikely in the future to either since ME1 never did outside of some very simple texture replacing. BioWare even locked the developer console that was open in ME1, but from what Ive seen around people have some hope in the coalesced.ini for some reason, I guess theres a lot that can be altered in there but so far any alteration to the file prevents the game from running.

I am at the part where I am waiting around for EDI to
install the IFF. How long will I have to wait because I don't have much to do apart from scan some worlds from anomalies and minerals. That's not too exciting.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Enduin said:
Not at the moment and its unlikely in the future to either since ME1 never did outside of some very simple texture replacing. BioWare even locked the developer console that was open in ME1, but from what Ive seen around people have some hope in the coalesced.ini for some reason, I guess theres a lot that can be altered in there but so far any alteration to the file prevents the game from running.

That's a shame, I was hoping someone could overhaul the game to make it play more like ME1. The lack of depth is chasing me away from this game.

Brinbe

sweetvar26 said:
Just beat the game, ending is pretty good but I think Mass Effect 1 ending tops this.
Yeah, I beat the game early this morning, and I definitely agree with this. Don't get me wrong, I liked the team concept, kept everyone alive in the end, but the ending on the Citadel in ME1 was a lot more epic.

Good game, regardless.

Akim

Banned
In NG+ does your paragon/renegade reset? If it doesn't and one of your bars is already maxed out can you play the ng+ as the opposite so you have full paragon and renegade?

Majeh

Akim said:
In NG+ does your paragon/renegade reset? If it doesn't and one of your bars is already maxed out can you play the ng+ as the opposite so you have full paragon and renegade?

You start with bigger bonuses, minerals, credits, small percentage of your paragon/renegade points. Also all the heavy weapons you collected.

Pimpbaa

Oh how I wish
Legion
was obtainable earlier. Would have made for some interesting dialog earlier in the game.

Reknoc

Just picked this up today when doing the weekly shop and I have to say I'm really loving it. The combat feels so much better than the original and I enjoy the hacking/bypassing minigames alittle more than the Simon Says things in Mass Effect 1. Shame scanning planets is almost as terrible as driving the Mako.

Had some pretty funky stuff happen with animations though, in one scene where Shep, Miranda and Jacob walked into a room with their guns ready Jacob was just stood their motionless and when the battle started a few of the enemies were standing upright with their arms out. Also when talking to Anderson on the Citadel he had his back to me and his head was shacking about like he was possessed.

Dunno why but the drinks served in tubes in nightclubs seems incredibly futuristic.

Oh and the Illusive Man keeps smoking from his chin, and now I don't smoke, but I'm sure that's not how cigarettes work.

Nutter

I didnt check really well, but if you play as lets say a Vanguard the first time around and start a new character from that file. [import your ME2 file] can you pick a new class?

puebla

so i've put in about 20 hours so far and am loving it.

i have a question, and was hoping one of you could help me. i just finished a loyalty mission and ended up getting negative squad points after completion. why is that? i'm trying to avoid for the next time.

Skilotonn said:
It amazes me how people have beaten the game days ago, and I'm not even done yet, I still have quite a bit to do I think, and I've put 24 hours into the game (I just turned the 360 off, forgot to look at the hours) but I expected as much, since my first playthrough for Mass Effect 1 was 45 hours - I love the universe that much to take my time in it.

The environments are gorgeous, especially where I'm at right now, and I know I still have a lot more to see - the texture detail is just incredible.

Looking at Metacritic and skimming ever so swiftly through this thread :lol , it's great to see that the game is getting the praise it deserves, and I hope BioWare knows it as well.

I'm hitting the sack waaaaaaay early today, because the last five days have been about me going to bed so damn late in the morning, even when I have to get up early that same day... :(

My playtime in the game is around 49 hours, I spent a lot of time talking, a lot. After every mission, quest, I talked to everybody in the Normandy. I did leave the game on occasionally while I had to do other stuff at my place which can bring the play time down by around 3-5 hours but still as I said I spent a lot of time exploring and talking to everybody I see. I played really slow, I think I got my perfect save at the end of the game that I want to carry over to Mass Effect 3.

At the end of my first playthrough, my Shepard is Level 28, 450xp short of 29. Did every single loyalty quest and side mission, as far as I know and all my crew survived the suicide mission. Maxed out my paragon points and about 40% of my Renegade points. Relationship with Miranda, playing the nice guy character.

I don't want to start a new playthrough on this character, I know I am not going to spend as much time as I did now in any of my future playthroughs and might not make the same choices, so this is save is just too perfect to let it go. I will just play future DLC's to get my Shepard to Level 30 or higher...

As I already mentioned, game is good, more like a 3rd person shooter using powers and RPG elements, really lacks in the RPG part, hated the leveling system totally, not rewarding at all. I hope they bring back the old XP and Leveling system for Mass Effect 3.

Xevren

Nutter said:
I didnt check really well, but if you play as lets say a Vanguard the first time around and start a new character from that file. [import your ME2 file] can you pick a new class?

If you're importing a ME 2 file you can't switch.

Is the "sticking around" after
IFF
defined by the number of missions you do after, before the endgame, or literally the game time? I'm asking because there's obviously
Legion's
loyalty mission, and I want to do that.

Also, tested M-920 Cain for the first time while fighting
Thrasher Maw
. Took 50% off on Hardcore:lol

Nutter

Rabbit Lord said:
So how are vanguards? thinking of playing one for my next play through.
It is an awesome class, if you dont mind being up close and personal with the shotgun.
Take out a few with your tech powers, charge in and finish with shotgun.

Nutter said:
It is an awesome class, if you dont mind being up close and personal with the shotgun.
Take out a few with your tech powers, charge in and finish with shotgun.

What bonus power do you think is best to pick?

geinou

Neo Member
I'm like 8 hours into the game and feel that I just scratched the surface (maybe because I did only scratch the surface). Recruited some members, did a few side-missions, gathered some minerals for upgrades. I really like that game. I also like how some NPCs are telling me things I did in Mass Effect 1. Yeah, they reduced the RPG-Elements, but I'm fine with that.

I tried the Blood Dragon Armor from Dragon Age. It looks really bad ass. But you can't see the face of Shepard. And I want to see the face of Shepard. So no Blood Dragon Armor anymore. :(

Nemesis_

Inferno313 said:
Correct. Tali feels like my Shep's little sister. That's creepy. Plus, subjecting someone to disease because you're horny is not cool. :lol

Is this a fucking spoiler!? >=(

Solo

Got in another solid afternoon of ME2. I did Garrus' loyalty quest, Mordin's, Grunt's, and then I recruited Tali and did hers. Im already at 20.5 hours, and I still need to do Miranda's loyalty mission, plus recruit Samara, Legion and Thane and do their missions. Yeah, ME2 is a hell of a lot longer than the original. Ive already played 4 hours MORE of ME2 so far than I ever did the first, and I get the feeling Im only maybe 70% done at best.

- loved Garrus' loyalty mission. Nice to see another returning face from ME1 in
Harkin
too, and I really loved how it ended.
- Mordin's quest was also awesome. Really one of the great characters and performances in the ME world. I really love Salarians and the way they speak.
- Grunt's quest wasnt overly great, however the chance to take down a
thresher maw
made it all worth the while.
- Tali's quest was a nice change of pace, and I enjoyed the courtroom stuff, which was evokative of KotOR.
- the
Collector Ship
was incredibly fucking awesome. Amazing design and atmosphere.

Now that Ive had my one night stand with Jack, it looks like Im entering into a relationship with Tali :lol

soldat7

Castor Krieg said:
You get him on
Ilium
. However, you first need to recruit some other members.

Ah cool...I think Jack is my last one. That whole mission has turned out to be a pretty big surprise!

Nutter

So what benefits do you get for importing your ME1 save file when you have completed ME2 as well. Do you get even more money and minerals at the start? (then say from just starting a new character using your ME2 save) I searched and some people say you get even more minerals and money if you do so, but some say it doesnt add any extra's. I want to play as a Sentinel for my insanity run, but my ME2 file is as a vanguard; so most likely im going to have to start from scratch or from my ME1 save.

What bonus power do you think is best to pick?

Slam, gives you some breathing room if enemies try to rush you.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
picked this up on impulse yesterday, don't really know much about the ME series. was impressed but not blown away until i walked into
the nightclub - having the music become clear as i walked through the door with all the dancers up on podiums and smoek everywehre was seriously amazing. like something out of blade runner. is that a spoiler? i have no idea..
the atmosphere is incredible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom