• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
FromTheFuture said:
I thought Adepts can't use assault rifles? The class selection says pistols and submachine guns. And for my avatar, I don't know her personally. PM me if you want some info i guess.

There's a point in the game where your character decides he/she wants to pick up a new weapon and be perfectly proficient in using it.

In my opinion, you're not experiencing Mass Effect if you choose a class that doesn't have any real Biotic ability. Fuck Soldiers and their crappy abilities - if I want to go in gunning everything I'll play MW2.

Patryn

Meus Renaissance said:
In my opinion, you're not experiencing Mass Effect if you choose a class that doesn't have any real Biotic ability. Fuck Soldiers and their crappy abilities - if I want to go in gunning everything I'll play MW2.

I disagree to a point. Soldier seems far too plain for me, but I played both ME1 and ME2 as an Engineer, and I love the Tech abilities. Incinerate and Overload FTW.

Plus Engineer can reduce research costs by as much as 25%, so less mining for me!

Meus Renaissance said:
Yeah really soldiers make things a bit too easy anyways.

ianp622

FromTheFuture said:
Infiltrator sounds interesting. You can snipe long range or get up close and personal. Doesn't seem like they have too many good powers though.

Assassination Cloak + Disruptor Ammo + Anti-Material Rifle + Headshot = Instant death for most enemies.

Meus Renaissance said:

I am a victim of this. I'm thinking about re-importing my lvl 60 character (can you do this?) and choosing... something else. If not, no big deal but yeah where they sort of streamlined it I think maybe playing a non-soldier class would make it feel a bit less like Gears/charted :lol

I just finished the
IFF
part too and I still have several loyalty missions to complete. Also just wanted to comment on how amazing that part was with the
unstable Alliance ship dangling over the cliff
I mean holy shit

mileS

After checking the video settings I figured out why it was forcing itself to drop to 30fps in conversations back and forth to 60. I guess its just a bug with the dynamic shadows turned on. It's really not worth it to turn it off so i'll deal with it for now. I assume something like this can be patched?

After playing around with the forced AA settings I've finally found the best one that works for me. In my ATI CCC settings I have AA set to 4x Box and AA mode is set to Super-sample. The game looks so much better from when I had it set to 8xMSAA.

stupei

sub_zer0 said:
Regarding about Liara. Seems like a lot of people missed this small dialogue tree:
heavy spoilers ahoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjFMPaSjAuo

Holy shit. :lol

Yeah, I definitely didn't get that at all. In fact, since I play my Shepard as loyal to Liara (well, apart from flirting with Kelly), I'm pretty sure I went with "your needs" first and by the time I got around to asking more about
the Shadowbroker, her answer was entirely about her friend and the implication that her entire life now revolves around avenging his death. Struck me as rather shitty there were no dialogue options for Shepard to point out that she died too, but guess that's why.

Sucks that it's so easy to miss, the encounter with Liara is ridiculously disappointing without that.

aznpxdd said:
Wat. Damn this is a pretty short game if you don't want to do everything.

To be fair... I don't know how anyone couldn't want to do everything. I know it's optional stuff, but I don't exactly consider it optional. And even with that said, it's still longer than the first one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
stupei said:
Holy shit. :lol

Yeah, I definitely didn't get that at all. In fact, since I play my Shepard as loyal to Liara (well, apart from flirting with Kelly), I'm pretty sure I went with "your needs" first and by the time I got around to asking more about
the Shadowbroker, her answer was entirely about her friend and the implication that her entire life now revolves around avenging his death. Struck me as rather shitty there were no dialogue options for Shepard to point out that she died too, but guess that's why.

Sucks that it's so easy to miss, the encounter with Liara is ridiculously disappointing without that.

I think it's a programming error. Or at least I hope it is, because otherwise it's a big screw up.

Thermite

Holy fuck, it was so rough having to choose either to
save the residents or corporation
in the
missiles heading towards Alliance colonies
sidequest. Lose/lose either way. :(

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Thermite said:
Holy fuck, it was so rough having to choose either to
save the residents or corporation
in the
missiles heading towards Alliance colonies
sidequest. Lose/lose either way. :(

Save lives vs. Save Alliance spaceport and colony viability, not a very difficult choice

I was really pissed playing as an adept on my second playthrough on hardcore because EVERYTHING has some sort of shield or armor. All my abilities then appeared red which i took to mean ineffective for 5 hours before i finally understood it as less effective. One warp or incinerate will get rid of that defense but its seems silly to color it like that.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Thermite said:
Either way, innocent people are dying.

True but I'd rather the missile hit the spaceport than hit the capital city

Would've made a good main quest decision too.

Kapura

Banned
Pankaks said:

Wait what really? I thought it would be obvious to save the spaceport. Otherwise, all of those people are fucked anyway, seeing as there colony isn't viable. At least the few survivors would have a chance to rebuild.

Thermite

Pankaks said:

Agreed. At the same time, though, the entire colonization would have had to move out and relocate had the Spaceport been destroyed. It's certainly better than dying, but still a shitty situation.

Dresden

I can't decide on what bonus skill I want for my engineer. I'm thinking Reave, since it takes care of armor and organic enemies, which is what Engineers lack--so I'll have Overload for shielding, Reave for Barriers/Armor, and drones for distraction/explosions. Will play on Insanity, since I just finished Hardcore with my Vanguard.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
aznpxdd said:
Wat. Damn this is a pretty short game if you don't want to do everything.
That's because you didn't do everything.

I guess that's the problem with giving players the option to not do everything.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Finished the game.

10/10 in my books. Not happy with every change and decision made, but the improvements and overall quality of the game outweight the flaws by a considerable margine. I'll go into more detail on my opinions later, because I'm sure you all want to read them.

Saved everyone. Decisions for that were pretty easy if you have full loyalty.

Zzoram

user_nat said:
That's because you didn't do everything.

I guess that's the problem with giving players the option to not do everything.

I'm 31 hours in and in the process of recruiting Thane (last guy before legion). I have none of the loyalty quests done either.

Finished the game the other day.

Put a video on my blog of a pretty funny glitch that was funny and infuriating at the time.

Overall, better than ME1 and a great game. But there's design choices I definitely would not have made. ME1 did loot badly, but it turns out I would have rather had a refinement of that system rather than a complete excision.

Also, the veins and the blurring. Oh my god. I want to choke whoever made that decision. Not only is it unnecessary, but also detrimental to the actual game.

Meus Renaissance said:
Don't agree with that. Soldiers impact shot is basically the biotic energy ball move like technicians have. And I bought the upgrade to use a teammates power and took mirandas slam move. I got all the benefits of a soldier and I still have biotic ability. Plus I can work off the biotic abilities of my team, like Jacks shockwave to knock an enemy behind cover up into the air and then I switch on my adrenaline and snipe him while the enemy is exposed. Being a soldier has not stopped me from experiencing biotics in the least. Not understanding what modern warfare has to do with anything.

D23

what do you guys think is the best bonus skill for Vanguard? im thinking fortification since you can use that with Charge.. idk

Owzers

Zzoram said:
I'm 31 hours in and in the process of recruiting Thane (last guy before legion). I have none of the loyalty quests done either.

I finished the game in about 32 hours having done all the loyalty quests ( but failing Samaras XO) along with a few of the random beacon scanning quests from when i was trying to mine junk. I'd consider that a rather robust playthrough.

Thats strange. I just loaded a save for a character thats on disc 2 and then went back to a character thats on disc 1 but I didn't have to switch discs.

Meus Renaissance said:

...Or you can rely on yourself for taking the brunt of the damage, and providing the firepower while using your crew for Biotic, and Tech powers?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Jamesfrom818 said:
Thats strange. I just loaded a save for a character thats on disc 2 and then went back to a character thats on disc 1 but I didn't have to switch discs.
Most of the content is on both discs.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
...Or you can rely on yourself for taking the brunt of the damage, and providing the firepower while using your crew for Biotic, and Tech powers?

This, any class can work as your main char for the most part. You have full control over your team members if you want to. The game handles using your party members biotics and tech abilities very well, at least on PC.

Won

Finished it. Took me 25 hours with all loyalty quests on normal. I think that's a pretty good length.
Great finish. Not sure what to think about the last boss though. Just nuked him down. :lol

Next up a Paragon playthrough on the highest difficulty, but not sure with which class yet. :/

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I liked the last boss in story theory, and what it means for the game / universe lore, but I disliked the execution. I almost exclusively put that down to how it was designed. Like the idea, not a fan of how it ended up. I would have had it look different.

But it was still fun.

njean777

ok guys the question i have is should i play this game if i didnt play ME. I really didnt like ME1 because of the technical problems, it drove me nuts. So i wanted to give this one another chance and i really could care less about the choices in ME1 so should i still get it or just forget it?

Cetra

McNerdBurger said:
That's brutal... Can anyone who experienced this please let me know if they were playing off the disc, or the hard drive? I just played that mission at home off the xbox hard drive and didn't experience and cutouts. Apologies to anyone who did... we're looking into it.

HDD Install here. Pretty sure that was the only weird thing I experienced through the entire play through.

So, since I already am not being faithful to Liara on this playthrough (she won't remember it when I do my second run!), I guess I'm going all the way?

Somehow, I've wound up telling both Miranda and Tali that I'm interested.:lol This is Persona 4 all over again.

I honestly didn't even really mean to do it; it just kind of happened. I mean, could you turn Tali down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom