• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quagm1r3

Patryn said:
You talk to the C-Sec captain to start it off. He's the one just beyond the security door where you get hassled the first time you go to the Citadel and is voiced by Michael "Saul MFin' Tigh" Hogan. The relevant choice should be on the...bottom right? He'll direct you to a guy standing outside the night club.

After that, I think you can figure the rest out.

Great... pretty sure this game is bugged. There's no apparent options. Just to be sure, I exhausted all other options and none of them have anything to do with Thane or his son.

While I'm ranting, I keep getting this bug where I'll run into a wall and start floating into the air, stopping at about 6 feet off the ground. Loading from the last save point is the only way out of it most of the time, which means running through 10 minutes or more of content again.

This game is amazing, don't get me wrong. But these bugs are very bothersome.

EDIT: I'm a fucking idiot. Having Thane in my squad helps a bunch :lol

Cep

Banned
EatChildren said:
The rout the franchise is going is to give players complete control over the skill level of their weapons, hence the people complaining its too much like Gears. Its no longer a dice roll and instead pure player driven, which in my opinion is much better for a shooter RPG.

Because the game went this way the game needed a total overhaul of how loot works. Having weapons with stats is pointless now, because dice rolls in combat are nearly removed entirely. Weapons need physical, functional differences that are apparent to the player right from the get go.

So instead of looking at a gun and going "Okay that has a damage ratio of 328 and this one has 334 so I better use that" we can select weapons that have the most logical performance and function for the situation.

The sniper rifle is the best example. Just because you find the semi-auto doesnt mean its worth using for your style of play. I ignored it and instead stuck with the Widowmaker. I much prefer weapons that deal a lot of damage instantly, especially with snipers, over spamming shots and doing damage over time.

This is the kind of variety their going for, the kind of 'loot', and its definitely the best direction for the franchise. But, as I said, there needs to be a bit more of it. Double the amount at least, really, so players still feel some worth in finding new weapons. The heavy weapons come out best due to how many there are, especially with the codes, and the huge variety between each one.

Armor falls into a similar boat. Buying pieces is actually more 'traditional' than the original Mass Effect, and its great they went for a flat out single stat bonus for each one. Do I want these greives that increase shield power, or do I want the ones that increase my storm speed? Perfect concept for this style of game, having peices of armor with individual basic stats that we can mix and match, but again much like the guns the game just needs a bit more of them.

The sense of progression with loot is a bit lost, I guess, and thats where it hurts the most. They took Mass Effect's loot, overhauled it into a much better idea, but didnt quite deliver it in a way that made it shine. Fingers crossed ME3 pulls it off.

Easy fixes:

-At least 5 different weapons in each weapon class. Each handle differently, each useful throughout the game.

-Each NPC gets a special weapon.

-Armor stats completely disassociated from looks

-Each NPC's class works significantly different than those of others (Tali and
Legion
are too similar).

-Weapon and armor load-outs customizable from the menu

-NPCs get several costumes(3 or 4), each with a different bonuses.

-2-3X as much "loot"

SPACECADET said:
I wouldn't be dreading insanity so much if upgrades carried over :(

I may have already posted this (I miss the search function), but if you're dreading Insanity because of how cheap it was in the first game, you have nothing to worry about. ME2 Insanity has felt completely fair to me so far. Other than Vanguard, every class is well equipped to handle Insanity. Going from Vanguard on Hardcore to Infiltrator on Insanity actually felt like a significant step DOWN in difficulty, so for the ultimate challenge, level 1 Vanguard on Insanity!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Can anyone give me some advice on how to get nHancer working properly with Mass Effect 2?

I've installed the program and had to manually locate the ME2 executable, and also put in the launcher. I enabled 8xSC Supersampling, but it doesnt look like any AA is applied in the game. Halp?

Ashodin

What are the most rich EEZO worlds people have found? I've already hit up the trio, Gorvus(I think), and I'm out of worlds to look for.

I need EEZO for most of my researches now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what the fucking mcfuckity fuck

my renegade metre is full, and my class bonus is +100% renegade/paragon, and yet I can't choose the renegade option during the Tali/Legion stand-off!

boo

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DevelopmentArrested said:
Game is definetely way too easy on the Normal setting.. part of the reason why I didnt love the combat on first playthrough

Veteran/Hardcore seems to be a really nice sweet spot, the former being a little more forgiving if you dont properly manage your squad. Anything below is way too easy for the way the combat plays now. Insanity is fun but really punishing unless you play perfectly.

DevelopmentArrested said:
Game is definetely way too easy on the Normal setting.. part of the reason why I didnt love the combat on first playthrough

Yeah, I didn't even touch Normal, but I imagine very few enemies have Armor, Shields, or Barriers, so you can just wreck them with whatever powers you fancy whenever you want.

hamchan

Wow the number of Mass Effect 1 references is astounding. It makes for an amazing experience when you come straight off ME. I wonder if all the references are still there if you don't import?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
hamchan said:
Wow the number of Mass Effect 1 references is astounding. It makes for an amazing experience when you come straight off ME. I wonder if all the references are still there if you don't import?

You won't see a lot of side-quest characters from ME1 if you didn't import, but there still are a fair number of recollections.

hamchan said:

They probably won't send you e-mails. Everyone you encounter in person seems to have a "Who the hell are you?" option.

MegaKungFuRadio said:
I may have already posted this (I miss the search function), but if you're dreading Insanity because of how cheap it was in the first game, you have nothing to worry about. ME2 Insanity has felt completely fair to me so far. Other than Vanguard, every class is well equipped to handle Insanity. Going from Vanguard on Hardcore to Infiltrator on Insanity actually felt like a significant step DOWN in difficulty, so for the ultimate challenge, level 1 Vanguard on Insanity!
Good to know, I'm playin soldier on veteran and sometimes I get caught off guard but most times it's nothing I can't handle. If I do die the 2nd time I go through alright. People talking about insane though has been spooking me, but even if it's a few notches up from vet I think I'll be alright. I hope.

SPACECADET said:
Good to know, I'm playin soldier on veteran and sometimes I get caught off guard but most times it's nothing I can't handle. If I do die the 2nd time I go through alright. People talking about insane though has been spooking me, but even if it's a few notches up from vet I think I'll be alright. I hope.

I haven't played Soldier, but I would be worried about ammo on Insanity. As others have suggested, Sentinel and Infiltrator are hands down the best classes. You really can't go wrong with either one. I would give the slight edge to Sentinels because they rely less on the help of their squad and they get a bigger power boost when they train Sniper Rifles than Infiltrators do when they train Assault Rifles.

GodfatherX said:
as somebod who skipped the first game, how long does mass effect 1 take to complete without rushing

Ten hours or less pure rush. Thirty plus change to do everything. I found it hard to play the game without doing EVERYTHING even though "everything else" is only fun for like two hours and there's nearly 20 hours of craptacularly repetitive sidequests.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Well.. Finished.

Impressions.. not really spoilers:

I'm pretty disappointed with the story overall, much prefered the first game.
Still think that the 3rd game could be brilliant though. This one sort of suffered from being in the middle of the triliogy IMO.

That said.. still one of the best games this gen.

I look forward to my evil play through, which is actually the way I prefer playing.

Oh, and just over 21 hours on casual with minimal side quests.

nubbe

ME2 was enjoyable, but it didn't click with me in the same way ME1 did.

The combat is technically much better in ME2 but I didn't enjoy the combat and using the biotic powers as much as I did in ME1.

The universe in ME2 is a great improvement over ME1 and it almost feels like a different game. The settings and environments are way more realistic and resemble something you'd be able to live in.

The scanning of planets for upgrades is fucking boring and overly time consuming. The need of fuel is also makes exploring time consuming and boring.

The plot also feels tedious. You mission is basically to recruit team members and blow up the enemy base. 90% of the game is about the recruiting and making them loyal to you and after that the game is basically over.

Swag

GodfatherX said:
as somebod who skipped the first game, how long does mass effect 1 take to complete without rushing

I did everything in that game in 13 hours, but that was skipping tons of dialog. Probably 18-20 hours doing everything that matters in ME2

GodfatherX said:

I'd say 20-25 hours if you're trying to do a fair amount of the sidequests which have stories of some sort (but ignoring random shit like searching for minerals).

It can be beaten in less time, but that's my guess for a non-rush, first time through.

Swag

MegaKungFuRadio said:
13 is impressive. I think my fastest "do everything" was 18.

When I say do everything I don't include the mineral collecting. I did all side quests on all planets, and the DLC excluding pinnacle station. Key for me was skipping any and all dialog, was like my 7th play through I think.

I'm about 50 hours in and just got my last member and did about 4 loyalty missions. I am definitely not in a hurry/rush. I'd actually like more DLC before I finish the game. I still have to do my male sentinel.

painey said:
I laughed when I heard Morrigan the Quarian :lol
You mean the one that wants to enslave the geth again and continue AI development? I hate that bitch! She sent me a email about how i shouldn't have kept the information from her. Now she just made an enemy.

Sebulon3k said:
When I say do everything I don't include the mineral collecting. I did all side quests on all planets, and the DLC excluding pinnacle station. Key for me was skipping any and all dialog, was like my 7th play through I think.

Oh, yeah I meant EVERYTHING everything. Well, I never bought the DLC I'm not counting that. Still, impressive, since I did it on Casual skipping all the dialogue. I doubt the collection quests would account for five hours. I would still Investigate everything for Codecs and junk, but I would X button through all of it.

EDIT: Bahahaha I just died and fell through the ground World of Warcraft style.

just finished it on normal. 34+ hours, lvl 27(ish) with my imported Vanguard char, and I did every single quest that I could find and 100% exploration. I also scanned for a huge surplus of minerals/resources. I still couldn't buy every weapon upgrade though.

Immediate Verdict after first playthough: Loved it; I haven't been so enthralled with a single player game in forever (I flew through ME1 and never came back to it). With this one, I never wanted to put my controller down. I feel like every single team member's story was compelling, and I would be interested in playing DLC missions or something as any of them.

I think I was more connected to the individual characters than the main story itself, so when the shit hit the fan towards the end of the game, their developments affected me more than the overall plot.

I liked all the combat/team simplifications from ME1, but I agree with the people who mentioned that they would like more loot. I pretty much stuck with my same setup for the whole game.

SlickVic

Can you still do loyalty quests after doing the
IFF mission
? So far I've finished
Zaed, Jacob, Grunt, and Garrus
, and unlocked the rest of them (well don't have the last part member, so everyone except that). Only thing holding me back is people saying you can lose the loyalty after doing their missions, so not sure if I should be saving some of these until the end..

Darkman M

nubbe said:
ME2 was enjoyable, but it didn't click with me in the same way ME1 did.

The combat is technically much better in ME2 but I didn't enjoy the combat and using the biotic powers as much as I did in ME1.

The universe in ME2 is a great improvement over ME1 and it almost feels like a different game. The settings and environments are way more realistic and resemble something you'd be able to live in.

The scanning of planets for upgrades is fucking boring and overly time consuming. The need of fuel is also makes exploring time consuming and boring.

The plot also feels tedious. You mission is basically to recruit team members and blow up the enemy base. 90% of the game is about the recruiting and making them loyal to you and after that the game is basically over.

Story wise i think most of the stuff we did was build up for Mass Effect 3, being it will be the final game of the trilogy they wont have anything to hold back on.:D

Darkman M

SlickVic said:
Can you still do loyalty quests after doing the
IFF mission
? So far I've finished
Zaed, Jacob, Grunt, and Garrus
, and unlocked the rest of them (well don't have the last part member, so everyone except that). Only thing holding me back is people saying you can lose the loyalty after doing their missions, so not sure if I should be saving some of these until the end..

Take care of all Loyalty before you do that.

Swag

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Oh, yeah I meant EVERYTHING everything. Well, I never bought the DLC I'm not counting that. Still, impressive, since I did it on Casual skipping all the dialogue. I doubt the collection quests would account for five hours. I would still Investigate everything for Codecs and junk, but I would X button through all of it.

EDIT: Bahahaha I just died and fell through the ground World of Warcraft style.

Hahaha. I didn't do any of the codex investigating, because I had played the game so many times I wanted purely a speed run that would get me prepped for ME2. I had saves where I had done a full completionist play through on my PC but needed something for the 360

Does getting with
Jack or Kelly
screw up the
Miranda or Tali
relationships?

I assume you have to choose between
Miranda and Tali
, right?

Naeblish

If i do the scanning mini-game for more then 15 mins, i want to kill my self. Seriously, exploring planets in ME1 was boring but i never had a problem with the mako, however this mini-game is just retarded. I don't get the ammo change either, they created these incredible looking environments, but half the time your looking at the ground looking for ammo, wtf.

I don't like the absence of the the inventory, but when i found my third sniper in the
collector ship
and read its description, i went FUCK YEAAAAH! I hope there are more though.

Trickster

GodfatherX said:

I believe I took around 12 hours the first time through on normal, focused mainly of the main story, but did also take some time to look around and do a few side quests.

Dresden

Goddamn Mass Effect, I stayed up way too late again. :lol

Engineer on Insanity was easier than expected. I ran into a huge wall when I tried Mordin recruitment with an attack drone, though. Just couldn't get past the fight right after the clinic. So I restarted the mission and chose the explosive drone. Got past it first try, awesome stuff. Attack drone's probably better for everything other than Insanity, but right now, crowd control+shield zapping+100 AOE damage is hard to pass up. Breezing through right now, although having Reave early on helps a lot, especially against Krogans.

Dresden said:
Goddamn Mass Effect, I stayed up way too late again. :lol

Engineer on Insanity was easier than expected. I ran into a huge wall when I tried Mordin recruitment with an attack drone, though. Just couldn't get past the fight right after the clinic. So I restarted the mission and chose the explosive drone. Got past it first try, awesome stuff. Attack drone's probably better for everything other than Insanity, but right now, crowd control+shield zapping+100 AOE damage is hard to pass up. Breezing through right now, although having Reave early on helps a lot, especially against Krogans.

Krogans are a pain. Doing the Warlord dossier on Insanity right now and I can swear they infinitely respawn at one point. Fortunately I rock Reave on me, Warp on Miranda, and Incinerate on Mordin. Pistols do the rest.

AniHawk

All right, just finished it.

I think the biggest problem I have with this game, which is an RPG with heavy focus on story (it's weaved into the gameplay so you can't ignore it, is that the story is pretty bland compared to the original. Every place you went to in Mass Effect had some sort of overall purpose that lead up to the final confrontation with Saren. Hell, Mass Effect actually had a villain with a name who you saw regularly throughout the game. Mass Effect 2, for the most part, is just a bunch of stuff that happened. The developers hyped this as the dark middle entry, like Empire Strikes Back, but I feel like it's really just a prelude to Mass Effect 3, like we took a break from the main story for a while and it should finish up in the next game. I think that's part of the problem with deciding to do a trilogy from the onset.

Other stuff I didn't like: vaulting, load times, and resource gathering. Vaulting wasn't so bad, but the load times plain sucked and the resource gathering was dumb Wind Waker-inspired dumbness. I missed the Mako and the element of exploration.

On the plus side, I loved the mission based stuff. It's a much longer game than Mass Effect- I played it about 10 hours longer, and I felt compelled to get everything. There were some good characters too, when half of the crew of Mass Effect were kinda bland. There are still some weak characters in ME2- Miranda, namely, although I simply don't like her voice actor. Samara sucks too,
but Morinth is interesting
. Nearly everyone else, I was fine with. I liked the loyalty-gaining missions. They were different and pretty cool most of the time.

I went through as an Infiltrator, which was a nice change of pace from the Soldier and Sentinel I was in ME1. Gotta love the sniper rifle. I'm gonna restart with my renegade sometime, so I'm not done with the game yet, but overall I think it's a better package than ME1, although ME1 left a stronger impression on me at the end.

Trickster said:
I believe I took around 12 hours the first time through on normal, focused mainly of the main story, but did also take some time to look around and do a few side quests.

I don't understand people getting through the game that quickly. Took me 30 hours first time through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom