• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-E

Swapped the 360 version for the PC version due to red ring but I am still upset. I hate how a default new character has all the shitty plot choices. It hurts me knowing that Wrex is dead and Kaidan is alive and a fucking war hero. God it pisses me off. Game should ask you on new characters about some of the other choices not just stupid shit like your birthplace. PC version has been pretty good so far though the load times can take forever.

Seraph-

so is the romance scenario played out like ME1, where the love making is triggered as you're on your way to the final mission?

Giolon

I am nearly at the end of the game and I don't have a Quarians: Biology entry in my Codex. I have one for practically every other important Alien race. Is there one that I missed? If so, does anybody remember where or who they obtained it from?

mileS

Big-E said:
Swapped the 360 version for the PC version due to red ring but I am still upset. I hate how a default new character has all the shitty plot choices. It hurts me knowing that Wrex is dead and Kaidan is alive and a fucking war hero. God it pisses me off. Game should ask you on new characters about some of the other choices not just stupid shit like your birthplace. PC version has been pretty good so far though the load times can take forever.

You can just download a Mass Effect save file for PC. There's plenty of saves to pick from one of them is bound to the choices you want.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
njean777 said:
ok guys the question i have is should i play this game if i didnt play ME. I really didnt like ME1 because of the technical problems, it drove me nuts. So i wanted to give this one another chance and i really could care less about the choices in ME1 so should i still get it or just forget it?
Nope, you can most definitely play/enjoy this game without ME1.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
sub_zer0 said:
I went with Warp Ammo. Pretty much the only ammo type you'll ever need.

Barrier/Fort. is good if you plan on actually using charge

Charge makes barrier stop. :\

Red

Playing through a fresh game on insanity as an adept must have been one of the worst decisions of my life. I'm about 20 hours in, just
boarded the Collector ship
, and I find myself dying in about a second and a half of peeking out from cover. My frail bones truly are a curse.

Anyone have suggestions for what loyalty power I should choose? I mainly focus on warping shields away and then netting a few bad guys with singularity before blasting them with a warp explosion. Sometimes I'll use pull if singularity is having trouble pulling guys in. I have barrier as my extra ability right now, at level 3, but it doesn't seem to be helping me at all. At best, I have an extra second to get into cover with a full barrier on. Is there a better alternative?

I thought the ending was just okay. Not as epic as the ending of Mass Effect 1.
I lost the assassian who was gonna die anyway the justicar (who was boring to me) and Jack (oh wellllll). So, no great loss,
not worth restarting over.

Anybody know why the
sun behind the illusive man was blue after the game ended? Is he in front of that star Tali was researching?

Haint

I wish ME1 didn't exist, cause it ruined this game for me. They basically threw everything out the window and just made this story driven shooter with Gears gunplay and CoD's MP progression mechanic. Maybe they communicated this, but I didn't follow any of the hype or media. I was expecting a nitty gritty RPG with loot, grinding, and other genre staples.

Reallink said:
I wish ME1 didn't exist, cause it ruined this game for me. They basically threw everything out the window and just made this story driven shooter with Gears gunplay and CoD's MP progression mechanic. Maybe they communicated this, but I didn't follow any of the hype or media. I was expecting a nitty gritty RPG with loot, grinding, and other genre staples.

Loot in Mass Effect 1 sucked, though.

I actually prefer the way Mass Effect 2 handled it. It's actually a better RPG in that way, because of all of the customization that's possible. Loot isn't what defines RPGs, and researching upgrades makes a lot of sense as the replacement for it in a sci-fi RPG.

Red

Reallink said:
I wish ME1 didn't exist because it was absolute garbage. ME2 might be favorite game this gen. Not sure how you see anything like CoD here. It's the same progression system as in ME1, only better. The fat's been stripped away.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Reallink said:

The levelling and progression system in ME2 is nothing remotely like CoD4.

Crunched said:
I wish ME1 didn't exist because it was absolute garbage. ME2 might be favorite game this gen. Not sure how you see anything like CoD here. It's the same progression system as in ME1, only better. The fat's been stripped away.

I would say the progression systems for both 1 and 2 have their strengths and weaknesses. 2's is more refined, with skills evolving with then max out (into one of two different options, so there's more customization), allows you to gain a skill from another squad member, and has costs progressing, getting rid of the silliness of starting a skill and maxing it out costing the same thing.

However, the first game had a larger amount of skills which could be leveled up further, and also needed you to level up your weapon skills, which I think are sorely absent in the second game.

Hopefully Mass Effect 3 will use 2's system but with 1's level of skills.

Red

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I would say the progression systems for both 1 and 2 have their strengths and weaknesses. 2's is more refined, with skills evolving with then max out (into one of two different options, so there's more customization), allows you to gain a skill from another squad member, and has costs progressing, getting rid of the silliness of starting a skill and maxing it out costing the same thing.

However, the first game had a larger amount of skills which could be leveled up further, and also needed you to level up your weapon skills, which I think are sorely absent in the second game.

Nah, I prefer everything about ME2's stat progression. I missed the breadth of abilities that were at my disposal in the first game, but only for the first few hours. Can't imagine going back.

Seriously, I don't think it can be said enough how damn good this game is. I've hardly been able to pull myself from my TV all weekend. I've tried, but I come right back. It has exceeded my expectations in every way. It's been a long time where I've had the kind of relationship with a game where I'm at the edge of my seat, constantly anticipating what's to come.

Quagm1r3

I searched up and down the whole damn citadel TWICE to figure out this quest and am still clueless.

It's the quest to get Thane's loyalty. You have to find a lead on where his son is. I can't find the right person to talk to and I'm pretty sure I've talked to everyone on the entire citadel. I'm almost convinced that it's a bug or something

Mindlog

KuwabaraTheMan said:
Loot in Mass Effect 1 sucked, though.

I actually prefer the way Mass Effect 2 handled it. It's actually a better RPG in that way, because of all of the customization that's possible. Loot isn't what defines RPGs, and researching upgrades makes a lot of sense as the replacement for it in a sci-fi RPG.

It really cuts back on the magic backpack effect. I enjoy it this way more as well.

Same thing with the way XP is done. I don't see why I should be rewarded for shockwaving wave after wave of husks as they crawl up to you.

More variety in the base armor/weapons wouldn't hurt, but I don't want it to come from ME1 style loot.

I'm under the believe™(sic) that there are fewer ME2 powers, because ME3 is going to continue from exactly where ME2 finished. Your character will carry over directly (unless you xxxx) and more powers will be unlocked. You'll be able to smoothly transition into a 60 lvl game.

Quagm1r3 said:
I searched up and down the whole damn citadel TWICE to figure out this quest and am still clueless.

It's the quest to get Thane's loyalty. You have to find a lead on where his son is. I can't find the right person to talk to and I'm pretty sure I've talked to everyone on the entire citadel. I'm almost convinced that it's a bug or something

I think that quests starts with a man that's near the expedition shop. He'll be talking on a 'future space phone' to some guy.

**** I remember something! Have you talked to the C-Sec officer?

Quagm1r3 said:

Im having the same problem

TheSailerman

Neo Member
Buh, bought the soundtrack from iTunes, and while it is of course awesome, I was excited about the "digital booklet" it came with, hoping it was more concept art or a background of how the style for the music came about.

But no.

It was a preview of the first issue of the comic mini-series. :\

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
KuwabaraTheMan said:

2 trimmed the fat. ME1 had a lot of weapon mods, but 2 actually made the enemies diverse and gave reason to use other weapons/abilites. It had more skills, but again, I use them way more in 2 because they're so much more useful here.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'd like to see more 'loot' in ME3. Just double the amount thats here, as it does feel a bit minimal.

But this 'system' of loot, in that you find upgrades and find weapons, and buy some upgrades, is much superior for this style of game. Loot never felt right in the original Mass Effect, and it rarely feels right in shooter RPGs anyway. Even the best RPG shooters, outside of Borderlands, have had very minimal 'loot'.

Mass Effect did it wrong. They threw loot at you as if it were a traditional fantasy RPG where weapons have a billion different types, styles, and enhancements (magic, enchantments, rare abilities, etc). The best method here is to have guns offer unique, functional abilities and features, which is what they now have. Burst fire pistols, auto submachine guns, semi-auto or single shot snipers, etc. It works better.

Just expand that concept and offer a bit more to find and upgrade and you're set. ME2's loot problem is that it takes a bit too long to actually find anything, even if the upgrade is significant.

Keep the idea, and keep the concept. Keep it the way it is, but add a bit more there for players to find and store.

Patryn

Quagm1r3 said:

You talk to the C-Sec captain to start it off. He's the one just beyond the security door where you get hassled the first time you go to the Citadel and is voiced by Michael "Saul MFin' Tigh" Hogan. The relevant choice should be on the...bottom right? He'll direct you to a guy standing outside the night club.

After that, I think you can figure the rest out.

Cep

Banned
EatChildren said:
I'd like to see more 'loot' in ME3. Just double the amount thats here, as it does feel a bit minimal.

But this 'system' of loot, in that you find upgrades and find weapons, and buy some upgrades, is much superior for this style of game. Loot never felt right in the original Mass Effect, and it rarely feels right in shooter RPGs anyway. Even the best RPG shooters, outside of Borderlands, have had very minimal 'loot'.

Mass Effect did it wrong. They threw loot at you as if it were a traditional fantasy RPG where weapons have a billion different types, styles, and enhancements (magic, enchantments, rare abilities, etc). The best method here is to have guns offer unique, functional abilities and features, which is what they now have. Burst fire pistols, auto submachine guns, semi-auto or single shot snipers, etc. It works better.

Just expand that concept and offer a bit more to find and upgrade and you're set. ME2's loot problem is that it takes a bit too long to actually find anything, even if the upgrade is significant.

Keep the idea, and keep the concept. Keep it the way it is, but add a bit more there for players to find and store.

I could not have said it any better.

Xevren

Playing on Insanity is so incredibly boring. It has more enemies and they all take a lot longer to kill. It's the only achievement I have left but I just don't think I can sit through it.

Trouble

Banned
Papercuts said:
2 trimmed the fat. ME1 had a lot of weapon mods, but 2 actually made the enemies diverse and gave reason to use other weapons/abilites. It had more skills, but again, I use them way more in 2 because they're so much more useful here.
Having squad wide upgrades and ammo buffs is soooo much better than the way ME1 did it.

I do wish there were more guns and armor options, though.

Patryn

They definitely need more weapons. Having generally two in each category is horrible. Makes me wonder why they even bothered having more than one.

I did kind of like how they handled Shepard's armor, though. Considering how butt ugly some of the light armors were in ME1, I liked being able to customize the colors of the armor this time. Of course, again, they need more variety in the pieces.

At the same time, I understand the limit. Because all the stats are hidden from the player, it's a lot harder to get a feel for the difference between the weapons. If there were five different weapons in each class, people would complain that it took too much time to figure out which was the best one.

birdman

Xevren said:
Playing on Insanity is so incredibly boring. It has more enemies and they all take a lot longer to kill. It's the only achievement I have left but I just don't think I can sit through it.

So it's not really harder?

Cep

Banned
Xevren said:

Only if you are playing it wrong.

I did insanity on my absolute first run, and it was a blast.

The class you use matters a lot.

Xevren

birdman said:
So it's not really harder?

Oh it is, you can die REALLY fast. Just have to play smart and move your team around for cover a lot. Fights just drag and drag though.

How can you play it wrong exactly? It's not like the way you hit the R trigger is much more wiser than I'm hitting it. I'm not dying or anything (at least yet) it's just boring as hell.

I must say I like the gunplay in ME2 more than the first one. Don't remember having so much fun with the first. Also prefer the streamlined armor and weapon inventory in this.

EatChildren

Patryn said:
At the same time, I understand the limit. Because all the stats are hidden from the player, it's a lot harder to get a feel for the difference between the weapons. If there were five different weapons in each class, people would complain that it took too much time to figure out which was the best one.

The rout the franchise is going is to give players complete control over the skill level of their weapons, hence the people complaining its too much like Gears. Its no longer a dice roll and instead pure player driven, which in my opinion is much better for a shooter RPG.

Because the game went this way the game needed a total overhaul of how loot works. Having weapons with stats is pointless now, because dice rolls in combat are nearly removed entirely. Weapons need physical, functional differences that are apparent to the player right from the get go.

So instead of looking at a gun and going "Okay that has a damage ratio of 328 and this one has 334 so I better use that" we can select weapons that have the most logical performance and function for the situation.

The sniper rifle is the best example. Just because you find the semi-auto doesnt mean its worth using for your style of play. I ignored it and instead stuck with the Widowmaker. I much prefer weapons that deal a lot of damage instantly, especially with snipers, over spamming shots and doing damage over time.

This is the kind of variety their going for, the kind of 'loot', and its definitely the best direction for the franchise. But, as I said, there needs to be a bit more of it. Double the amount at least, really, so players still feel some worth in finding new weapons. The heavy weapons come out best due to how many there are, especially with the codes, and the huge variety between each one.

Armor falls into a similar boat. Buying pieces is actually more 'traditional' than the original Mass Effect, and its great they went for a flat out single stat bonus for each one. Do I want these greives that increase shield power, or do I want the ones that increase my storm speed? Perfect concept for this style of game, having peices of armor with individual basic stats that we can mix and match, but again much like the guns the game just needs a bit more of them.

The sense of progression with loot is a bit lost, I guess, and thats where it hurts the most. They took Mass Effect's loot, overhauled it into a much better idea, but didnt quite deliver it in a way that made it shine. Fingers crossed ME3 pulls it off.

Cep

Banned
birdman said:
So which is the absolute best class for Insanity?

Infiltrator and Sentinal.

Best classes in the game.

Xevren said:
Oh it is, you can die REALLY fast. Just have to play smart and move your team around for cover a lot. Fights just drag and drag though.

How can you play it wrong exactly? It's not like the way you hit the R trigger is much more wiser than I'm hitting it. I'm not dying or anything (at least yet) it's just boring as hell.

Your weapon load-out, the abilities you choose, the CLASS you use and you TEAM. These are all very important. Insanity requires pretty heavy skill use and you have to manual manage party position, weapon use and skill use.

JoeMartin

Truth be told I miss the old loot/inventory/min-maxing. That's not to say it couldn't have been much improved, but they just got rid of it altogether, which was upsetting. Feels much less "rpg" in that respect.

Also I love how there's a ton of voices I recognize on random completely insignificant characters. Like the Baldwin brother doing that Quarian Captain, and Michael Hogan (Colonel Tigh) as the C-Sec Captain.

Also fully specced assassin infiltrator +
particle beam
= 6 seconds of unmitigated rape. Every other 6 seconds. Kind of breaks the game tbh.

birdman

JoeMartin said:
Truth be told I miss the old loot/inventory/min-maxing. That's not to say it couldn't have been much improved, but they just got rid of it altogether, which was upsetting. Feels much less "rpg" in that respect.

Also I love how there's a ton of voices I recognize on random completely insignificant characters. Like the Baldwin brother doing that Quarian Captain, and Michael Hogan (Colonel Tigh) as the C-Sec Captain.

Adam Baldwin is not a Baldwin brother. Much like Buster and Babs Bunny, he is of no relation.

Rad-

Cep said:
Infiltrator and Sentinal.

Best classes in the game.

Agree. Infiltrator mainly because of the sniper + he has a backup plan (cloak).

Sentinel because he is so versatile.

Truant

JoeMartin said:

Also fully specced assassin infiltrator +
particle beam
= 6 seconds of unmitigated rape. Every other 6 seconds. Kind of breaks the game tbh.

The Shepard guy also plays that Volus in the Samara recruitment mission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom