• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 2 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erasus

Due to losing my Mass Effect 1 save file, ran through the first this weekend. I know there is a website with ME1 saves but I wanted to play through it. Just got home from the store with ME2! Installing now(PC), so exited to see what happens in the story with the reapers and everything.

And I completed ME1 about 4h ago so the moments in that game are kinda fresh :D If only my powersupply would stop having a broken and noisy fan ;_;

Zzoram

My first playthrough of ME1 was as an Adept on 360 and took 39 hours. My most recent PC playthrough as a Vanguard took 26 hours. Both were on Normal difficulty.

My first playthrough of ME2 on PC as a Soldier with Veteran difficulty, I'm at 33 hours and I'm not even done recruiting my whole squad and I haven't done any loyalty missions yet. I've done every side thing I can find though, and ~8 of those 33 hours were spent mining. You don't have to mine anywhere near as much as I did, but I would listen to podcasts while mining so it made the time pass a lot quicker.

I take my sweet time with these games, at least the first time through. I generally listen to the voiced primary codex for interesting things and carefully explore every town.

For my 2nd playthrough, I plan to play a female Engineer or Sentinel on Insanity, skipping Hardcore.

I can't bring myself to actually do anything in this game. That opening was fucking traumatic. Where's the "I need a few minutes to huddle in a corner" dialogue option to these fucks putting me in charge seconds after reanimation?

Son of Godzilla said:
I can't bring myself to actually do anything in this game. That opening was fucking traumatic. Where's the "I need a few minutes to huddle in a corner" dialogue option to these fucks putting me in charge seconds after reanimation?

Shepard does kind of accept the whole "been dead for 2 years thing" quickly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Darklord said:
I just can't stand the mix of the Male VA and default Shepard Model saying all the asshole dialogue choices. Female Shepard comes off as a collected, confident, ruthless leader sort, whereas the Male version just comes off as a massive douche to me.

I love the opening dialogue with
Legion
on board the Normandy. The devs succeeded in making him sound incredibly alien and foreign.

Any tips for the fight in
Reaper's
core room on Insanity? I did it on hardcore and it was a pain, I'm thinking you need huge firepower for that fragment (so ppl with pistols and SMGs are a no-no), maybe a nuke.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Rez said:
I just can't stand the mix of the Male VA and default Shepard Model saying all the asshole dialogue choices. Female Shepard comes off as a collected, confident, ruthless leader sort, whereas the Male version just comes off as a massive douche to me.
Personally, i think he sounds like a douche in general. Looking forward to replaying the game as a female shepard.:)

Castor Krieg said:
Legion
on board the Normandy. The devs succeeded in making him sound incredibly alien and foreign.

Reaper's
core room on Insanity? I did it on hardcore and it was a pain, I'm thinking you need huge firepower for that fragment (so ppl with pistols and SMGs are a no-no), maybe a nuke.

Pistols are actually incredibly strong in this game. Nothing takes down a Krogan faster. The only issue is the ammo.

Zzoram

Rez said:

I really, REALLY prefer the female dialogue in Mass Effect. She's on a whole other level from the male voice actor.

Also, as mentioned on some podcast I heard recently, female Shepard might be the best female video game character, ever. That would be partly due to her superb voice actor, and the fact that she isn't written to be specifically female, other than sometimes flirting with men instead of women. She basically does the same thing male Shepard does and is a pure badass instead of being designed to be gawked over by male gamers.

Zzoram

MegaKungFuRadio said:
Pistols are actually incredibly strong in this game. Nothing takes down a Krogan faster. The only issue is the ammo.

Pistols were the best gun in the first game too. They were super accurate without requiring the scope of the sniper rifle and cooled down really fast.

panda21

so i though i remembered there being this thing where you could spend different types of elements required to make new equipment.

thing is i can't find it again now. i could of sworn it was on the normandy somewhere or on omega.

i have a feeling in my spaced out delirium i either dreamt it, or its actually in star trek online :lol

is this in ME2 or not?

I'm not sure that if by anyone answering this question, if it is a spoiler, if it is I suppose just tell me that it's a spoiler and don't spoil it for me. But on my team status tab, I have every member except for 1. I noticed since early on that little data file looking thing where the character would stand is grayed out whereas the other data disks were brighter. It is the spot between Zaeed and Samara. I have no missions regarding this person's whereabouts...my only guess is that this person is supposed to be
Ashley (or Kaiden had he been alive instead) but when I met her on Horizon she made it pretty clear that she wanted nothing to do with Cerberus. She emailed me later on though and Kelly asked me about her, and I answered with "that's in the past" and I noticed that the picture of her in my captain's cabin is gone.
I'm wondering if I would have had a chance to make that recruit if I played it differently. It's possible that I'm looking too far into it and this person has yet to reveal themselves as I continue the game. I am currently doing remaining loyalty missions/exploring the galaxy before I
check out the derelict Reaver ship to get the IFF

panda21 said:
so i though i remembered there being this thing where you could spend different types of elements required to make new equipment.

thing is i can't find it again now. i could of sworn it was on the normandy somewhere or on omega.

i have a feeling in my spaced out delirium i either dreamt it, or its actually in star trek online :lol

is this in ME2 or not?

It's in the tech room across from the armory (on the CIC deck, where Morbin does his work).

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Zzoram said:
I really, REALLY prefer the female dialogue in Mass Effect. She's on a whole other level from the male voice actor.

Also, as mentioned on some podcast I heard recently, female Shepard might be the best female video game character, ever. That would be partly due to her superb voice actor, and the fact that she isn't written to be specifically female, other than sometimes flirting with men instead of women. She basically does the same thing male Shepard does and is a pure badass instead of being designed to be gawked over by male gamers.

Yea, I've tried to play MaleShep a few times. All his lines seem so hollow compared to Jennifer Hale's acting. She acts, and I feel that he just reads the lines. Sure, not every character needs an emotional voice but when you're on the cover (unlike the FemShep) you should.

I've tried to play both Renegade and Paragon males but both in ME1 and ME2 they come off as cheap knockoffs. And here I was hoping to romancing Tali. :'(

Darklord

Banned
Rez said:

Yeah, he does sound like a massive smart arse sometimes I'll agree to that.

Darkman M

MisterAnderson said:
I'm not sure that if by anyone answering this question, if it is a spoiler, if it is I suppose just tell me that it's a spoiler and don't spoil it for me. But on my team status tab, I have every member except for 1. I noticed since early on that little data file looking thing where the character would stand is grayed out whereas the other data disks were brighter. It is the spot between Zaeed and Samara. I have no missions regarding this person's whereabouts...my only guess is that this person is supposed to be
Ashley (or Kaiden had he been alive instead) but when I met her on Horizon she made it pretty clear that she wanted nothing to do with Cerberus. She emailed me later on though and Kelly asked me about her, and I answered with "that's in the past" and I noticed that the picture of her in my captain's cabin is gone.
I'm wondering if I would have had a chance to make that recruit if I played it differently. It's possible that I'm looking too far into it and this person has yet to reveal themselves as I continue the game. I am currently doing remaining loyalty missions/exploring the galaxy before I

It's in the tech room across from the armory (on the CIC deck, where Morbin does his work).

You are just looking to far ahead.

MisterAnderson said:

You will get him soon, it's a story recruitment so cannot miss it. One of the best chracters imo, first conversation with him is incredible.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Domino Theory said:
Do you lose all your research upgrades when you do New Game+?

Yes-ish. You keep all the weapon models but you lose all the research. You get 50k out of every material and 200k credits. So, it's atleast somewhat easier to get the upgrades now. And you don't have to spend any time to collect Element Zero cuz you'll be set for life.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
Zzoram said:
Ugh I hope not.

I'm doing the first recruit mission in New Game+ and I have all my weapons (Krogan Claymore Shotgun FTW), but don't have my research upgrades applied.

Oh and Insanity is such a cheap shitfuck. The difficulty just COMPLETELY negates all Rank 4 Skills that my squad members and I have.

"oh you have a rank 4 skill that gives you +500% weapon damage? well this is insanity, so it ain't gonna fuckin' work here."

Castor Krieg said:
Legion

Reaper's

My own fault for highlighting spoiler text, but if you could be more careful in your wording next time, I thought for sure by "opening dialogue" you were referring to the first scene in the game.

MisterAnderson said:
My own fault for highlighting spoiler text, but if you could be more careful in your wording next time, I thought for sure by "opening dialogue" you were referring to the first scene in the game.

Sorry for that. At least don't go checking wikia on who he is, you will find soon enough.:lol

Truant

I hope we can visit Pavalen in ME3. I love Turians, and Garrus. Hopefully we'll see some female versions of the races, too, besides Quarians and Humans.

Pumpkins

I love the new leveling system... Evolving skills just feels so great!

Everything about this game is just so fun and engaging!

And yeah, I even like the probe mini-game!

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
New PA is up:

778257862_QAHgc-L.jpg

Text:

Something I like about Mass Effect 2 (and this is a list which must be appended frequently) is that I have a personal assistant. In a continuing effort to physically twist off any game element that does not support their lean new thesis, there is a character in the game who will tell you if you have new mail. This is not something that you must wonder about, or check fruitlessly - a woman just tells you. With her mouth. And then you know.

In 2005, when gentle brontosaurs still roamed, we engaged in an ill-conceived "Hump Day Challenge" against Bungie that resulted in our utter dissolution. Does beating someone at a game which you, yourself invented represent authentic valor? It's an open question.

Beat us they did, though, and even in the year of our lord 2010 we could still feel the sting of their lash, the red heat of their brand. Five years hence, when the shame of it hung like an anvil about the neck, when the disapproving looks from greengrocers could no longer be borne, the gauntlet was thrown. The game? Table Tennis, which we didn't invent. Based purely on our match-day performance, though, you might think we had.

We augured through their roster, boring them out, collecting useful compounds and expelling the rest as a greasy exhaust. Let me offer an excerpt from my own game: I drew my racket across him in the Diving Swallow Style, and the gash in his belly yawned, dumping five pounds of steaming chitlins on the floor. "Get your intestines and get out of here, " I said, gesturing at his intestines and then the door.

Five games in, we had won four of them - which meant we had won the challenge. The last two opponents were visibly shaken, and with reason - theirs was a wholly justified breed of horror. Even victory would bring them no solace. They were like two escape pods, their boosters firing at the absolute threshold of their performance to escape the shredding wake of a stellar shockwave.

Spoiler warning: they did not escape. Six games to one. Penny Arcade.

So let all who claim some skill upon the four-quarter table come forth! Let those who dream of victory be known to us; such dreams are our meat, the cries of the vanquished are as sweet wine. Squirm from your burrows you wretches, you villains, you less than human things! Gaze upon the bright spires and splendid arcs of holy Arcadia!

Darkman M

Truant said:
I hope we can visit Pavalen in ME3. I love Turians, and Garrus. Hopefully we'll see some female versions of the races, too, besides Quarians and Humans.

Not so sure i want to see female krogan.....

Arjen

I can't believe how much they improved the combat, it almost feels like i'm playing Gears (and that's a really good thing for me). Hell i even miss doing a barrelroll when i playing :D

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Darkman M said:
Not so sure i want to see female krogan.....
there's a female Krogan in the Shaman's -- uh -- office. You can 'talk' to her, but she just tells you to piss off.

Darkman M

Rez said:
there's a female Krogan in the Shaman's -- uh -- office. You can 'talk' to her, but she just tells you to piss off.

I thought i heard a female voice around that area, but i didn't want to believe it and kept walking. :lol

spats

Finished it a while ago, liked it a lot. Definitely one of most well-crafted and cinematic scifi games around. Still undecided whether I like ME1 or ME2 better. Even though they fixed a lot of stuff in ME2, the story felt a bit disconnected and contrived. Also to me, ME2 was a shooter with light rpg elements while ME1 was more of a straightforward rpg.

Also I'm actually a bit sad the vehicle sections were gone altogether. I played both games on the pc and found the vehicle controls pretty enjoyable.

Played through as paragon, can't wait to start my evil playthrough!

Lastly: :lol Bioware http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tFbg81M4CU

Choc

Banned
End game kelly spoiler question

finished the game, rescued her, don't love anyone, no email. Anyone know why and if i can fix it ? or am i screwed :)

roxya

Arjen said:
I can't believe how much they improved the combat, it almost feels like i'm playing Gears (and that's a really good thing for me). Hell i even miss doing a barrelroll when i playing :D

Feels exactly the same to me, except with the added annoyance of having to search for ammo?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
roxya said:
Feels exactly the same to me, except with the added annoyance of having to search for ammo?
i think you need to play ME1 again

Solo

What is the point of no return on romances? Ive already boned Jack, and have Tali all warmed up, but Ive decided to back off ansd save myself for the xenophobe in ME3. Is it already too late, or can I still back off? Ash's pic was still upright after shagging Jack, so I figured that was casual and didnt hurt things. Tali pretty much wants me to marry her though. Im I alright if I back off before consumating the relationship with her?

diss

Banned
Just finished a mission on Horizon
where you meet Ashley again (I'm on the default new game). Still an annoying mole I see. I was hoping for a renagade trigger to pop up as she walked away so I could punch her like I punched that reporter.

Animator

Rez said:

Yea female shephard all the way for renegade. She sounds sooo badass.

TheYanger

How anyone can say the combat in this doesn't feel different from 1 or 'inferior' in any way....mind boggling. Yes, it's annoying that biotics don't work on a lot of enemies, but that was true in the first one. This game does reward/require a much more balanced team to shut down enemy defenses. And sure, Lift was overpowered as hell in the first game, but the underpowered biotics in 2 definitely feel a lot better. The actual gunplay and mechanics....yeah. No contest at all.

Removing all the stats helped immensely in this respect. Let's face it, Shepard is an elite damn commando in a sci fi future...you should NOT need any modicum of accuracy stats to properly use your weapons.

Zzoram

I like the new Barrier/Shield/Armor/Health system, and how some powers only work on some types.

Biotics don't appear to work on Armor but work on everything else. I believe Tech works on everything, but possibly not Barrier.

Ezduo

Banned
Ending question:

Is it possible to get the entire crew killed? I've heard if you don't get any ship upgrades, don't do any loyalty missions, purposely pick the wrong members for each job, and beat the final boss that everyone (including Shepard because no one will be there to pick him up when he jumps to the Normandy) dies. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, started a new game as a female renegade vanguard. It's like I'm playing this game for the first time, pulling people out from cover just to slam them into the ground, charging their teammates and beating them to death while they try to recover. Not to mention all the renegade stuff which is funny as hell, playing as a soldier doesn't really do this game justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom