• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft Business Update Podcast | OT | SEGABOX |

bumpkin

If at least one of those four games is Battletoads 2020 coming to Switch, I’ll be happy. It was aggressively mediocre but I still had fun playing it. I’d double dip in a heartbeat to have it portable. The fact D’Lala put out Disney Illusion Island on the console with rock solid performance gives me hope that it’s at least technically possible.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
@Ass of Can Whooping deleting his memes folder cause nothing big got announced.

Yep, time to get some sleep. International time zones are wack.
It was what was expected was it not? No one expected every Xbox exclusive to immediately be getting ported?

It’s big news in that they are failing so hard at selling their games (which are the actual moneymaker in this business) that they are having to open them up to another Audience?

You can paint it as a “Win” but it came across as an absolute necessary step from them to get every single cent they can back from anywhere they can. No doubt the bean counters from MS have begun putting pressure on the management team at Xbox.

panda-zebra

There was a slight hint to new hardware. Sarah Bond said two things:
  1. Something about hardware for this holiday (assuming new controller that was leaked and such)
  2. Their hardware roadmap is for the largest jump in power (or something like that)
No true announcements, but shows they are working on stuff.
Basically confirmed no mid-gen refresh in terms of power, so natural then that there will be a huge jump there given the new technologies available for reconstruction consoles have been missing out on for half a decade already on top of the usual advances and a previous unit a full generation behind.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I would like to think this will teach an important lesson about buying into rumors from internet "insiders."

But of course it won't, the "Xbox is dead!!" people have now moved to the bargaining phase: "Xbox is still dead...just not yet! MS knows it but they won't admit it!" *slowly shrinking and turning into a corncob*
Looks like all the Sony fans are disappointed. They are getting 4 unknown Xbox games, games still day one on GP, MS isn't going anywhere and they just announced Diablo 4 is coming to GP.

Now if you really want to see a real life train wreck, Sony's earnings report and projected PS5 sales miss which sunk the stock 5% yesterday.

3liteDragon

Phil also gave an interview to The Verge, which just went live.

ChT9gDB.jpg
Phil should be in politics, this guy has a way with words. Basically they're all coming at some point.

4VjIOdX.jpg

jwaxeman

What a massive waste of time ... I don't get why they didn't at least name the 4 games.
Because you tend to have a more successful product launch if you control the launch messaging. They will announce the games when the market dictates they should in order to get the most engagement and sales. Casually dropping the names now might lose sales vs. waiting and letting the marketing teams do their thing.

Iced Arcade

holy shit it was all nothing.

green rats lost their mind and the blue balls got over the top excited for... 2 mini games and 2 GaaS lol

Last edited:
I would like to think this will teach an important lesson about buying into rumors from internet "insiders."

But of course it won't, the "Xbox is dead!!" people have now moved to the bargaining phase: "Xbox is still dead...just not yet! MS knows it but they won't admit it!" *slowly shrinking and turning into a corncob*
Yeah there's a lot of "...yet" talk already :lollipop_neutral:

People should move on now and be happy that four great games will be available on other platforms, rather then giving themselves an aneurysm trying to find meaning in things that weren't said.

MDSLKTR

Phil was sweating under that T-shirt, Booty sounded like he took up cigarettes and whiskey the day before, Sarahbot was malfunctioning.
Such a contrast to Bethesda round table they did 2 years ago lol.

near

Gold Member
Well, at least they're still committed to producing hardware, and so their ecosystem still lives on. This last week of rumours and news just felt like they intended to go in a completely different direction. A software publisher route, that would essentially forgo its own investments into cross-play/progression. I actually don't see much to be concerned about to be fair. What a waste of time lmao, Xbots rejoice, Sonybots, sit back down. Nothing to see here.

Thinking it is going to fail does not mean I want it to fail. I just don't see how it isn't inevitable on its current trajectory.
I don't care.
I care only about games...

Playstation consoles was/are my favorites because of exclusives jp THIRD party games (Just a few first party games from PS that i like).

Console wars is childish to me. They don't give fuck about us, just $$$. So i play the game i want and fuck those companies.

Not for you, but people need to talk less and play more.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
numbers is the thing that matters.

is Xbox console going to sell more after this announcement?

Are play station players going to massively buy Xbox games on PS5?
So no, by their own words it's not if the Xbox console sells more necessarily...it's about are they procuring more players regardless of where they play. It's almost like they are trying to do this backwards. If successful and it draws more folks to Xbox then it seems like almost a bonus to them...just based on what my takeaways are from this interview.

Will Playstation players buy Xbox games on PS5...maybe. I don't really see games like Pentiment and Grounded doing that well on Playstation. I could see an argument that Sea of Thieves could become big on Playstation though. hi-Fi Rush...eh....maybe.

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Well, just continuing with my plan I already had. Will just keep saving money for a year or so and buy as few games as humanly possible, close to literally 0.

Xbox has the rest of the year to convince me they aren't totally full of shit, or unveil new hardware at the end of the year that is dual boot into Windows or announce with concrete specifics what our portability is with our digital library besides cloud. Planning on buying a PC sometime around the end of the year or early next year.

Positive news is that GP is sticking around. Love it. I'll keep it on PC.

Last edited:
So no, by their own words it's not if the Xbox console sells more necessarily...it's about are they procuring more players regardless of where they play. It's almost like they are trying to do this backwards. If successful and it draws more folks to Xbox then it seems like almost a bonus to them...just based on what my takeaways are from this interview.

Will Playstation players buy Xbox games on PS5...maybe. I don't really see games like Pentiment and Grounded doing that well on Playstation. I could see an argument that Sea of Thieves could become big on Playstation though. hi-Fi Rush...eh....maybe.
I dont see any of those games moving the needle.

Midn1ght

Game preservation?

"Back compat, cloud save, windows, keeping servers up for as long as we can"

Future at Xbox is full digital and yes one day these servers will shut down.

So much drama for them basically coming out and doubling down on their GamePass strategy.

Xbox, GamePass, Day one, Everything, Everywhere (They hope).

Breaking Bad Train GIF

3/4 of those rumored games are going to flop so hard on Playstation.

They moved over Xbox Live Gold to Gamepass.
Xbox Live Gold is becoming Xbox Game Pass Core starting September 14.
Still 34 million paying subscribers not 25 million as Gaf would have you believe.

Elysium44

Banned
I don't care.
I care only about games...

Playstation consoles was my favorites because of exclusives jp THIRD party games (Just a few first party games from PS that i like).

Console wars is childish to me. They don't give fuck about us, just $$$. So i play the game i want and fuck those companies.

Not for you, but people need to talk less and play more.

I would like to suggest not assuming anyone critical of a company is engaging in a 'war'.

I care about games too, there aren't many good first party ones on Xbox these days, nor does it look like there will be for a long time. Although I can say the same for the PS5.

And what does it matter if we supposedly get another generation of Xbox with super fast hardware if they hobble it again by having a weak 'S' model which all games have to cater for. What does it matter what it's 'capable' of, if no must-have games come out for it. Just like there is not one compelling must-have exclusive for the Series X so far. This gen is the worst ever, and already people are talking about the next one?

Jaybe

Gold Member
Why do I feel like their endgame strategy is:

Gradually bring out games to other platforms, but use Game Pass as an ecosystem and take it everywhere.

From there, they can buy out other people and say "Well, you can't fight us on it because you CAN get those games, but only in our streaming ecosystem first unless you wait"

But developers can't get much revenue so they try and GAAS everything.

Ugh. Hope that doesn't happen.

I think Microsoft’s endgame is to breakdown walled garden store fronts, hence why they helped Epic with their lawsuit against Apple. I figure at some point they will try that tactic against Nintendo and PlayStation. That and hope Cloud becomes feasible for mainstream.

soulbait

Not sure what Sony gains by letting MS put games on PS.

They gain money. Just like any other game coming onto their platform.

Besides, if they draw a line and saw MS cannot put games on PS, then say goodbye to all the games that are made by the publishers/studios MS just acquired.

DJ12

This entire segment is "please keep buying software on Xbox." lol
Nah bro.

Please START buying software on xbox, or we'll have to release all our stuff on playstation.
Yep, Phil also says that in the interview. If they see good return, they will port other games as well.

GdgPROO.jpg
And they start with crap no one wants.

No, they announced crap xbros won't get upset about.

Still, even if 4 people but these games it's 4 more sales then they achieved on xbox.

Iced Arcade

still laughing at all the drama over these 4 games lol

my thoughts.
- this shows how much BS clickbait journalists can spin for clicks these days.
- MS absolutely sucks at communication and extinguishing false fires. shit could have been cleared up with a couple tweets.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They should have just concluded the presentation with a literal mic drop, like with this same tone-deaf confidence (as that f-yeah aren’t we awesome confidence is what was coming out during the entire podcast):

Eddie Murphy Randy Watson GIF by Coming to America

“Xbox!”

coming to america comedy GIF

“Xbox!!!”

Last edited:

DryvBy

It was what was expected was it not? No one expected every Xbox exclusive to immediately be getting ported?

It’s big news in that they are failing so hard at selling their games (which are the actual moneymaker in this business) that they are having to open them up to another Audience?

You can paint it as a “Win” but it came across as an absolute necessary step from them to get every single cent they can back from anywhere they can. No doubt the bean counters from MS have begun putting pressure on the management team at Xbox.

I predicted this. Case by case basis type wording, nothing's happening over here. Everything's fine, bro.

History repeats itself.

Still 34 million paying subscribers not 25 million as Gaf would have you believe.

I'd be curious if they count people like me who use Gamepass but don't pay because of family sharing.

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what they said about AMD? Hearing they low-key dissed AMD in this.

Which if so, and this is a public podcast...well regardless of the way things were phrased today, that Discord leak would be 100% accurate. It's just going to gradually happen in time, was never going to be a Day 1 thing. The messaging optics ambiguity helps keep the diehards in the fanbase hopeful, it's a smart way to phrase things.

Mr.Phoenix

lol nothing of interest was said…
I dont want to make it a habit of quoting myself, but I also said in the past week, whats not said will be more important than what was said. There was a lot of interest said here.
holy shit it was all nothing.

green rats lost their mind and the blue balls got over the top excited for... 2 mini games and 2 GaaS lol
It was far from nothing. Its either that there are a lot of gullible people on here, or maybe just ignorant people. But some common sense should be used.

If they plan on taking a more multiplatform focus going forward, there was never a chance in hell that they would jsut come and drop the biggest games ever on Xbox on PlayStation. This is exactly how they would do it and this is exactly how they would say they are doing it.

They start with whatever these four games are, and if those do well, they port others. At no point did they say it would only ever be these four games. At no point did they even say stuff like Starfield or whatever will remain exclusive to Xbox forever. That should tell you all you need to know.

Unless you think that after these four games this year, they just pack up all their PS5 dev kits and call it a day. They did and said exactly what I have been saying they would say, danced around everything and used buzzwords to make shit sound a lot better than it really is. I said they would be saying a lot of stuff about hearing the fans and if we all play we all win. They literally said all that and then dressed it all up with all that growth talk.

I am lost.... how is this not obvious to people?

xHunter

@Ass of Can Whooping deleting his memes folder cause nothing big got announced.
Cant understand how anyone can say this is a nothing burger? 4 first party titles are launching on competing platforms, how can that not be big???

Imagine if Sony announces Shadow of the Colossus, Dreams, Returnal and i dont know lets say destruction allstars would launch on other platforms. The way you would write here would be absolutely different.

Top Bottom