• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

microsoft: next-gen war is between microsoft and sony

human5892 said:
You're ignoring one of the fundamental caveats of my proposal, which is that standardized hardware would be collaborated on, not created and ruled over by one company. Therefore, your parallels to monopolies -- of Nintendo's or of anyone's -- don't fit.

Under a consortium, we'd only have to buy one machine, but we'd be able to choose any sort of game we wanted to play on it. You still have your freedom of choice, and we all have less hardware to buy, should we want to alter our choices every now and again.

Who's going to foot the bill?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
sonycowboy said:
Who's going to foot the bill?
R&D funds from the companies involved? Funding from companies who would like to sell a version of the hardware in their own formats (APEX, Panasonic, etc.)? Licensing fees from third-parties?

Also remember, hardware does not necessarily have to be sold at a loss. Up until very recently with the GameCube, Nintendo has always managed to profit off of console hardware.

human5892 said:
You're ignoring one of the fundamental caveats of my proposal, which is that standardized hardware would be collaborated on, not created and ruled over by one company. Therefore, your parallels to monopolies -- of Nintendo's or of anyone's -- don't fit.

Under a consortium, we'd only have to buy one machine, but we'd be able to choose any sort of game we wanted to play on it. You still have your freedom of choice, and we all have less hardware to buy, should we want to alter our choices every now and again.

You're ignore one as well. Realism. The business strategies for the three companies are far too different for them to all shake hands and move forward as one happy go lucky gaming company. They're going to argue over how things are done, the marketing, what components to use. One will want the biggest and best, one will want to make things cost efficient, one will want to focus on the software lineup. You see, they just don't fit together. But let's play with this, say they do come out with this ultimate system. Profits are rolling in. How are they divided? Is everyone paid equally? Who had the greatest contribution. Then we start to see sections feel they could make something on their own. We've seen it with software companies very often. It's just going to take us back to where we are now.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Why not just have something like the DVD consortium, where the only thing agreed on is format, but the hardware makers are free to add or subtract features to their version of the system (as long as it doesn't interfer with compatibility)

Joe

Lost Weekend said:
Why not just have something like the DVD consortium, where the only thing agreed on is format, but the hardware makers are free to add or subtract features to their version of the system (as long as they don't interfer with compatibility)

that is exactly what ms says they will eventually push for.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
DarthWufei said:
You're ignore one as well. Realism. The business strategies for the three companies are far too different for them to all shake hands and move forward as one happy go lucky gaming company. They're going to argue over how things are done, the marketing, what components to use. One will want the biggest and best, one will want to make things cost efficient, one will want to focus on the software lineup. You see, they just don't fit together.
Well, you're absolutely right about this, which is why we don't have a one-console market now (actually, I think Microsoft's and Sony's visions are fairly similar, but that's another thread). But in the event that philosophies would change, I don't see any particularly large negatives about a one-console world.

DarthWufei said:
]But let's play with this, say they do come out with this ultimate system. Profits are rolling in. How are they divided? Is everyone paid equally? Who had the greatest contribution. Then we start to see sections feel they could make something on their own. We've seen it with software companies very often. It's just going to take us back to where we are now.
Profits could be doled out in a number of ways, including an agreed-upon percentage based on R&D input, revenue from selling your particular version of the machine, etc. As for those who might feel they could do it better with a different standard, the natural checks and balances of the system would keep them in place; right now, in the DVD world, if someone feels they have a better alternative to the DVD standard, they must develop their new standard, forge partnerships, sign on studios to pledge their content, etc. Since that's extremely difficult for one company alone to do, it doesn't happen, and that's how it would be with a one-console future. If a different standard was somehow developed, then obviously that would become the new standard, and we'd still only have to buy one machine.

Lost Weekend said:
Why not just have something like the DVD consortium, where the only thing agreed on is format, but the hardware makers are free to add or subtract features to their version of the system (as long as it doesn't interfer with compatibility)

That's quite a bit more understandable, and could be quite possible. I just think human was being a little too extreme. Why can't this be done? I don't know, I'm sure someone has quite an answer for that one though.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Lost Weekend said:
Exactly -- that's what I'm referring to when I say different manufacturers would offer their own versions of the standard.

That's quite a bit more understandable, and could be quite possible. I just think human was being a little too extreme. Why can't this be done? I don't know, I'm sure someone has quite an answer for that one though.
No, that's what I meant! :) I guess I was just being too verbose.

Timbuktu

I think I read in Steven Kent's book somewhere that Yamauchi saw that Atari's downfall came when their console is flooded with crap games, which is why the NES was protected by a security chip to allow Nintendo control over the quality and quantity of releases on their console. With standardized hardware, is that still going to happen? Proprietary formats also works with printers and ink cartridges, razors and their blades, and those models that have been more similar to videogames up till now. Another thing that standardized hardware would sacrifice is the power of the brands. Apple and their Mac is still surviving because of the strength of their brand, their cult following and because of their power of the OS, hardware and software, they can ensure better experience and make it easier to innovate. Standards are possible IMO, but they're certainly not the only way to go for videogames.

human5892 said:
No, that's what I meant! :) I guess I was just being too verbose.

Haha indeed. I don't see how I didn't quite catch it the first time, perhaps I needed it simplified as you say. I'd be all for this, but there must be a reason we don't see it. I cannot answer that.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Timbuktu said:
I think I read in Steven Kent's book somewhere that Yamauchi saw that Atari's downfall came when their console is flooded with crap games, which is why the NES was protected by a security chip to allow Nintendo control over the quality and quantity of releases on their console. With standardized hardware, is that still going to happen? Proprietary formats also works with printers and ink cartridges, razors and their blades, and those models that have been more similar to videogames up till now. Another thing that standardized hardware would sacrifice is the power of the brands. Apple and their Mac is still surviving because of the strength of their brand, their cult following and because of their power of the OS, hardware and software, they can ensure better experience and make it easier to innovate. Standards are possible IMO, but they're certainly not the only way to go for videogames.
But the thing is, in a standardized console marketplace, brand would cease to matter. People don't stop buying DVD players because they see a bunch of crap movies for sale. It's irrelevant; one does not having anything to do with the other. Such would be the case for a standardized VG hardware.

The only thing a brand would matter for would be the different versions of the product; you'd hear things like, "Well, I went for the Nintendo because all I really want to do is play games, and it was cheaper," or, "Hey, the new Sony VG Player I just got can record 20 hours of high-def TV!"

Joe said:
that is exactly what ms says they will eventually push for.

With the basis of the hardware being the Windows OS so that they can continue to leverage that monopoly to exert control and extort money from other markets [/rant].

Seriously, the reason why Microsoft got into this business in the first place was because the PS2 scared the crap out of them. It being the digital hub of the future and all. They want to succeed in this market because they know the future of computing and software is, to an extent, based on the covergence into the home. Of course, that's why Sony got into it as well. They want to be able to have direct access to consumers to push thier music, movies, & hardware. Similarly, Nintendo wants hardware that is essentially a vessel to deliver their games.

It is completely absurd to believe that any of them will be cooperating in this market anytime soon. That leaves it up to the publishers, and other content providers to be the ones to push a unified approach. It will happen, but a major obstacle that is different from the music and movie industry is the reliance on the absolute latest tech. People continue to forecast that eventually the hardware won't matter, but that will not be true for quite a while. Until hardware can deliver a true virtual reality experience, hardware will continue to evolve and grow at a pace that makes "standardizing" hardware impossible.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
sonycowboy said:
It is completely absurd to believe that any of them will be cooperating in this market anytime soon. That leaves it up to the publishers, and other content providers to be the ones to push a unified approach. It will happen, but a major obstacle that is different from the music and movie industry is the reliance on the absolute latest tech. People continue to forecast that eventually the hardware won't matter, but that will not be true for quite a while. Until hardware can deliver a true virtual reality experience, hardware will continue to evolve and grow at a pace that makes "standardizing" hardware impossible.
I agree that the standardization is still a ways off, but as far as the evolving tech goes, does that necessarily have to be one of the impetuses in the realization of the standard? After all, the tech we use to watch movies at home has been constantly evolving ever since the first home movies arrived, but that hasn't stopped the corporations from agreeing upon standards, and then just upgrading whenever the time comes.

Once again, though, I do agree that Sony and Microsoft collaborating is extremely unlikely in the near future, given that they are more or less direct competitiors. If either one fails, though, the door will be blown wide open and whoever failed in pushing their standard will have to concede and agree to help develop the other one. Incidentally, I think if non-VG companies started getting heavily involved, this process could be significantly expedited (imagine if Panasonic and Hitatchi suddenly backed Sony and began selling PS-enabled set-top devices, for example).

As for Nintendo, as much as I like them, I think they'll eventually just have to a) go with the winner, or b) develop a device that is significantly different enough from the standard that it justifies its co-existence.

human5892 said:
I agree that the standardization is still a ways off, but as far as the evolving tech goes, does that necessarily have to be one of the impetuses in the realization of the standard? After all, the tech we use to watch movies at home has been constantly evolving ever since the first home movies arrived, but that hasn't stopped the corporations from agreeing upon standards, and then just upgrading whenever the time comes.

In 35 years, there have only been 2 significant standards in home video. VHS & DVD. If you start to include NTSC for TV, you'd have to go back alot further. They TV is the limiting factor in many ways for movies, not the actual player, thus the HDTV movement, which will probably hold us for another 50 years or so.

Guileless said:
Haven't almost all of the big Nintendo franchises "underperformed" this gen? Underperformed both sales-wise and critically--e.g. Super Mario Sunshine, TWW, and Metroid Prime--not to mention second tier disasters like Star Fox Adventures.

I say this as an ardent Nintendo fan. While I would rank MP as a classic (despite its sales performance) I would not do so with TWW and SMS. They are not in the same league as Mario 64 or OoT. It's been awhile since Nintendo Japan has released absolutely killer software. Double Dash and Melee are nice, but there's a definite been there, done that quality to both games.

I hope Nintendo can reverse this trend with Revolution or maybe even the DS. A first class, new Mario platformer is beyond overdue.

Last gen there wasn't another successful competitor. Saturn failed to do as well as it should. The smaller the userbase the less software your going to sale. Thats why the Revolution codename exsist, Nintendo know they need to introduce a new experience, they can't just release a console that is another PS3 with a different shell. The goal is to have something for everyone, E, M, T but bring something new that would make standout and get people to take notice.

Link316

Banned
Lost Weekend said:

um, isn't that just more or less a PC?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Link316 said:
um, isn't that just more or less a PC?
No -- a PC doesn't connect to a television, and is far more user-dependent. PC games also have no hardware standards to abide by, and thus can not be played on all systems (I would even say that the majority of new PC games can't be realistically run on 1/4 of all PCs in the US alone).

human5892 said:
No -- a PC doesn't connect to a television, and is far more user-dependent. PC games also have no hardware standards to abide by, and thus can not be played on all systems (I would even say that the majority of new PC games can't be realistically run on 1/4 of all PCs in the US alone).

From a purely numbers standpoint it's <<<<<< 1%. There are alot of crap / business PC's out there.

"The problem is about to get much worse. Computer replacement cycles are contracting as new models are introduced faster and faster. A study by the National Safety Council predicts that by 2007 there will be almost 500 million obsolete computers in the U.S. In four years, estimates Carnegie Mellon University, there will be 70 million computers in landfills."

Numbers to make GBA & PS2 cry.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
sonycowboy said:
From a purely numbers standpoint it's <<<<<< 1%. There are alot of crap / business PC's out there.

"The problem is about to get much worse. Computer replacement cycles are contracting as new models are introduced faster and faster. A study by the National Safety Council predicts that by 2007 there will be almost 500 million obsolete computers in the U.S. In four years, estimates Carnegie Mellon University, there will be 70 million computers in landfills."

Numbers to make GBA & PS2 cry.
Wow, thanks for the clarifcation. That's pretty insane.

I guess after spending time on these boards, it's easy to think a lot of people have high-end rigs (even if I myself don't). :)

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
I don't know about that. So far, Microsoft's willingness to bleed money hasn't had a negative effect on Nintendo's ability to make money, and their large cash coffers hasn't gained them one huge third party exclusive yet, whereas Nintendo has Resident Evil 4 and doesn't spend nearly as much. As a matter of fact, they're still making money hand over fist.

I can see why they do the things they do. If I ran a multi billion dollar hardware/software house, I would want to make money too.

That's great if you are an investor (and I'm not being sarcastic) but this isn't the way consumers look at things when they are deciding which system to buy. Right now more people in the US and Europe are buying Xbox at a marginally higher price ($50 isn't a huge deal, don't know what the price difference is in Europe) because they like the features and game lineup.

And while you're right that Xbox does not get a ton of genuine third party exclusives (meaning it isn't going to show on the PC, or on other systems in a few months) the timed exclusives that they get with games like Splinter Cell have been getting the job done for them. And RE4 is officially an early 2005 release now, so that's another advantage Xbox has if people are deciding between that and Gamecube as a second system this holiday. Halo 2 will be out six weeks before Christmas, and I don't doubt they'll see an even larger spike in sales than they normally would during a holiday shopping season.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Mooreberg said:
Right now more people in the US and Europe are buying Xbox at a marginally higher price ($50 isn't a huge deal, don't know what the price difference is in Europe) because they like the features and game lineup.
In the U.S., both systems are $150.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Mooreberg said:
Ahh... Gamecube has been $99 since last fall in the US.l
Oops, sorry -- I thought you were talking about Xbox and PS2.

I'm not sure why I thought that, exactly, but I did. :(

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I don't know why I'm even posting here 'cos it really matters not what we say! But going by what we know now about next generation:

Sony:
-no headstart advantage (then again, hype helped kill the DC)
-split focus on console & portable markets (ask Nintendo)
-complex system architecture (but I doubt Sony will repeat a PS2-like environment)
+tremendous momentum coming off of PS2
+marketing & best hype machine
+online from the start
+most support, yet again
+BR format likely (good for HD movie playback *and* higher capacity games)
+other non-gaming features likely
+will most likely have the best hardware specs
+the desire for HD movies, game graphics, broadband, etc. will be in a full swing by the time PS3 launches...they could use these like they used DVD to help sell systems

MS:
-premature launch of a cost-effective system architecture causing a multitude of problems:
--no power edge (alot of X-BOX fans are fans simply 'cos it's the best hardware out now)
--no BR or HD-DVD (unless they seriously want to kill the cost-effectiveness) which leaves them with DVD, which is smaller capacity than what the competiton may have*
--no BC (again, unless they want to waste money/resources to the point where they're back in the red like with the bleeding X-BOX)*
--cuts short the first X-BOX alienating fans
-with an early launch, moving alot of projects to next generation, alienating fans, their "momentum" sorta hits a BRICK WALL going into next generation thanks to no BC and a sudden stop X-BOX production switch transition
-taking away HD*
-no non-gaming features (alot of X-BOX fans are wanting/expecting shit like TiVo & a CD-RW, etc.)
-no Japanese support, hell they can't even BUY support anymore
+headstart "advantage" (ask DC)
+EA support (oh wait, EA supports everything though)
+XBL (still not profitable though)
+Halo (though, no Halo at launch)

Nintendo:
-still a VERY big image problem
-coming off the GAMECUBE, it will have left a bad taste in some people's mouths, the momentum won't be as big (but AT LEAST they finnished out this generation more completly unlike MS)
-still not as good as support from the industry as they need...they need to get out there and WORK with publishers, developers, retailers & the media if they're going to turn their image around
+trying to fix the image problem (better advertising, more of it, not ignoring competition anymore, Reggie, giving people what they want (re-designed NDS, new Zelda, etc.), re-thinking the whole purple cube console design, realizing that the GAMECUBE's smaller disc & memory cards hurt their standing with sports and other mainstream games, etc.)
+"Revolutionary" feature(s) (anything like NDS, bring it on, it'll be different than the competition at least)
+supposing leaked specs were anywhere close to being true:
++powerful (can still compete with PS3)*
++possible next-gen media format (hopefully on-par with PS3)*
++HD built-in (possibly a self-server online infrastructure there and/or something else?)*
+still has great franchises
+the move to get closer to Bandai & other Japanese supporters
+Mario at launch this time

* = Since some people whined about my speculation I marked some of the highly speculative maybe's based on unconfirmed info with asterik's. Calm down now and read the rest of the points and realize I'm pretty realistic in my next generation (going by what we know now) assessments!

DrGAKMAN

Banned
AniHawk said:
Gakman... MS wont go with a hard drive, and Nintendo will? How do you figure that?

As I said, from what we know now, MS likely won't have a built-in HD as it'll be using those special 64MB memory cards again. Nintendo, suppossing the leaked n-sider specs are true & the $300 price aim IGN is ture, will have a small built-in HD I would assume to make it easier for networking and other things. AGAIN, this is going by what we know which is non-confirmed stuff.

jedimike

DrGAKMAN said:
As I said, from what I assume now, MS likely won't have a built-in HD as it'll be using those special 64MB memory cards again. Nintendo, suppossing the leaked n-sider specs are true & the $300 price aim IGN is ture, will have a small built-in HD I would assume to make it easier for networking and other things. AGAIN, this is going by what I assume which is totally worthless at this point.

fixed.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
In that first post I said things like going by what we know now and assuming the leaked specs are true...nowhere do I say that this WILL happen, but seeming as how the Xenon specs would have to be locked down by now and going by that spec sheet a built-in HD for the machine isn't likely. So sue me for speculating on a topic where we're predicting the future which pretty much HAS to have speculation when we don't have confirmed details!

=P

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
what did i say before? assumptions based on assumptions are the worst kind of assumptions.

and wtf is an X-BOX? hmm?

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
jedimike said:
You guys are welcome to cross your fingers and hope for the best but stop suggesting that the rest of us should "wait for confirmation!" The best time to comment on what we like and what we don't like, in hopes of influencing the design process, is when everything IS NOT confirmed.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Sony would never agree to a consortium, as it goes against their giant market share -- they'd have nothing to gain. Microsoft would never agree unless every single game unit ran a Microsoft OS, and that seems unlikely.

If anyone were going to sign on to a standards based gaming platform, I think it would be Nintendo. They'd lose some on licensing fees, but they would stand to gain a lot more by -removing- MS and Sony from the hardware business, thus saving themselves and future games.

Look at it like this... most game companies would jump on the idea of a "standard" game system, especially if it meant little to no license fees and the elimination of the console "big brother" (Sony/Nintendo/MS). Capcom, Namco, Square-Enix, Konami, EA... I think they'd all sign on to a hardware platform standard, ESPECIALLY if the lead developers got a slice of the royalties on all future products. None of the software companies have any reason to want MS, Sony, or Nintendo to succeed (although some do seem to root for Nintendo), and I don't think they'd think twice about dumping the current market model for a hardware standard model.

Again, MS would never go for it, and Sony wouldn't either -- but Nintendo -might-, especially if it looked at it as a long turn alternative to dealing with Sony's future marketshare.

Of course, you might have to come up with a way to ensure that game development ONLY takes place on the standard, and NOT on the next Sony or MS system... although reduced royalties might do that. However, if EA, Nintendo, Capcom and someone else all agreed to ONLY support this "new standard", that might tip the balance.

kaching said:
You guys are welcome to cross your fingers and hope for the best but stop suggesting that the rest of us should "wait for confirmation!" The best time to comment on what we like and what we don't like, in hopes of influencing the design process, is when everything IS NOT confirmed.

This made me chuckle a bit.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Glad you liked it, Darth. I assume you're thinking about PSP battery life discussions? There's a bit of a difference between commenting on whether MS should consider including an HDD in the XBox2 which everyone and their mother is putting in CE devices these days vs. Sony somehow conquering battery life limitations for high-powered portable devices that no one else has been able to conquer. And Sony had already addressed the issue of extended battery life as best as currently possible with the presentation of the external battery pack.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
We're speculating about the future here right? Speculation, assumptions, guesses...they're allowed in this type of discussion. No where do I say that Nintendo will "rise again" or that Xenon will fail. I'm just telling you how I see going into next generation going by what we know. By what we know now (and I admit, things can change) that's the way I'm seeing it.

With MS aiming for a headstart they WILL have the older/less powerful technology in thier system...but some X-BOX fans are so damned delussional and in denial about it that they actually believe that Xenon will actually outpace PS3 even though Sony (and big partners) have invested alot more time/money/resources/energy into it and it'll be launching later. Not only is MS aiming for an earlier launch they're also aiming for a cost-effective architecture 'cos they wanna try to make money next round. This means that it probably won't have a built-in HD, BR (or HD-DVD), etc. 'cos that would set them back too much to make that route worth it. This also means they'll probably try to cut production of the X-BOX as soon as they can, which alienates fans 'cos of lack of BC and doesn't really help their transition into next generation.

Since Xenon will probably be the first out of the gate, we know more about it 'cos it's specs are closer to realization. So when we keep hearing all these quotes/announcements about how specs don't matter as much, it's about the games, it's coming out sooner, BC is un-important, M-Systems (which, to me, looks like they're going HD-less), no non-gaming features, cost-effective GAMECUBE-like architecture with ATi & IBM, etc.!

My "Revolution" speculation isn't as sturdy as what I said about Xenon 'cos Nintendo is usually very secretive meaning we won't know as much about it for a while now. But there were some leaked specs, and applied to what little we know about the "Revolution" I think I was realistic...but it's difficult to be realistic when we know so little.

I'm going back to my original post and putting an asterik by everything that is pretty much speculation...but even still I never put in too much speculation that was too impossible...

DrGAKMAN said:
I don't know why I'm even posting here 'cos it really matters not what we say! But going by what we know now about next generation:

Sony:
-no headstart advantage (then again, hype helped kill the DC)
-split focus on console & portable markets (ask Nintendo)
-complex system architecture (but I doubt Sony will repeat a PS2-like environment)
+tremendous momentum coming off of PS2
+marketing & best hype machine
+online from the start
+most support, yet again
+BR format likely (good for HD movie playback *and* higher capacity games)
+other non-gaming features likely
+will most likely have the best hardware specs
+the desire for HD movies, game graphics, broadband, etc. will be in a full swing by the time PS3 launches...they could use these like they used DVD to help sell systems

MS:
-premature launch of a cost-effective system architecture causing a multitude of problems:
--no power edge (alot of X-BOX fans are fans simply 'cos it's the best hardware out now)
--no BR or HD-DVD (unless they seriously want to kill the cost-effectiveness) which leaves them with DVD, which is smaller capacity than what the competiton may have*
--no BC (again, unless they want to waste money/resources to the point where they're back in the red like with the bleeding X-BOX)*
--cuts short the first X-BOX alienating fans
-with an early launch, moving alot of projects to next generation, alienating fans, their "momentum" sorta hits a BRICK WALL going into next generation thanks to no BC and a sudden stop X-BOX production switch transition
-taking away HD*
-no non-gaming features (alot of X-BOX fans are wanting/expecting shit like TiVo & a CD-RW, etc.)
-no Japanese support, hell they can't even BUY support anymore
+headstart "advantage" (ask DC)
+EA support (oh wait, EA supports everything though)
+XBL (still not profitable though)
+Halo (though, no Halo at launch)

Nintendo:
-still a VERY big image problem
-coming off the GAMECUBE, it will have left a bad taste in some people's mouths, the momentum won't be as big (but AT LEAST they finnished out this generation more completly unlike MS)
-still not as good as support from the industry as they need...they need to get out there and WORK with publishers, developers, retailers & the media if they're going to turn their image around
+trying to fix the image problem (better advertising, more of it, not ignoring competition anymore, Reggie, giving people what they want (re-designed NDS, new Zelda, etc.), re-thinking the whole purple cube console design, realizing that the GAMECUBE's smaller disc & memory cards hurt their standing with sports and other mainstream games, etc.)
+"Revolutionary" feature(s) (anything like NDS, bring it on, it'll be different than the competition at least)
+supposing leaked specs were anywhere close to being true:
++powerful (can still compete with PS3)*
++possible next-gen media format (hopefully on-par with PS3)*
++HD built-in (possibly a self-server online infrastructure there and/or something else?)*
+still has great franchises
+the move to get closer to Bandai & other Japanese supporters
+Mario at launch this time

* = Since some people whined about my speculation I marked some of the highly speculative maybe's based on unconfirmed info with asterik's. Calm down now and read the rest of the points and realize I'm pretty realistic in my next generation (going by what we know now) assessments!

you forget Nintendo's fanboys. Rabid, they are. Rrrrgh!

Li Mu Bai

Banned
You guys are puffing on the Magic Dragon, there will never be a standardized console. Too much potential profit to be lost for one, tech. contracts from various differing companies, etc. We're talking about billions here people.

kaching said:
Glad you liked it, Darth. I assume you're thinking about PSP battery life discussions? There's a bit of a difference between commenting on whether MS should consider including an HDD in the XBox2 which everyone and their mother is putting in CE devices these days vs. Sony somehow conquering battery life limitations for high-powered portable devices that no one else has been able to conquer. And Sony had already addressed the issue of extended battery life as best as currently possible with the presentation of the external battery pack.

Perhaps, but that didn't stop some people for throwing out the damage control. You gotta admit it was pretty thick on both sides. I love you to death kaching, I do not feel l ike arguing. :p

P90

Lost Weekend said:
The PSP is going to be an anticlimatic non event IMO. Sony's just done too much wrong for any mesurable level of success (on a GB level, anyway)

The PSP will sell a fair bit, but nowhere near GB levels. The PSP has too many issues. Battery life, cost, proprietary movie format, the list goes on. Wasn't it Konami's VP that said the PSP is "stupid"? Wow. Square Enix sheepish about Sony's upcoming handheld. When is the release date for it? By that time the GBA2 could be at the PSP level of power. Not good for the PSP. Not good at all.

Gattsu25

Banned
microsoft: next-gen war is between microsoft and sony

Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony would do best to consider each other as direct competitors and not believe the PR bullshit they spout to fool the fans (about different demographics meaning they are not directly competing)

"Wasn't it Konami's VP that said the PSP is "stupid"? Wow."

It's also Konami that's giving the PSP alot of support. Atleast let Sony have their game unveiling before completely writing the system off. That is what's going to make or break the system afterall.

Gattsu25

Banned
actually, I'm much more concerned about it's Pricing, versatility, and battery life than it's games...It already has more games that I want than most consoles :b

P90

Li Mu Bai said:
You guys are puffing on the Magic Dragon, there will never be a standardized console. Too much potential profit to be lost for one, tech. contracts from various differing companies, etc. We're talking about billions here people.

Photography has been a whole heck of alot longer than videogames and it isn't standardized, nor do any of the major players plan on standardizing ever. Only the bit players have recommended that.

P90

SolidSnakex said:
"Wasn't it Konami's VP that said the PSP is "stupid"? Wow."

It's also Konami that's giving the PSP alot of support. .

Metal Gear Solid Card Battle or is it Solid Yu-Gi-Oh? Ha haha ha ha. Now that is alot of "support". I'll take Boktai over a Metal Gear CARD game any day.

P90 said:
Metal Gear Solid Card Battle or is it Solid Yu-Gi-Oh? Ha haha ha ha. Now that is alot of "support". I'll take Boktai over a Metal Gear CARD game any day.

Winning Eleven also. And like I said, Sony hasn't even had their game unveiling, that's not happening till TGS. They're going to keep everything quite till then which is the smartest thing to do.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
DarthWufei said:
Perhaps, but that didn't stop some people for throwing out the damage control. You gotta admit it was pretty thick on both sides. I love you to death kaching, I do not feel l ike arguing. :p
Nah, you just want to "chuckle a bit" as if to imply I was somehow part of that damage control. If you think that, you weren't listening too well. But I don't want to argue about it :p

Izzy

Banned
DCharlie said:
"So MS can barely outsell a peeing console this generation but they expect to win next generation with subpar graphics and less games than Sony?"

I'll say it again, i expect close to zero difference in graphics for the next 3 consoles next gen.

And i'll go for the MS takes 3/4 of US and half of Europe and none of japan, Sony takes all of japan, half of europe and 1/4 of US. Sony win, but they'll take a big cut in user base due to the US situation.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this forum. MS will get 75% of the US market next gen. Sony were absolutely dominant with PS2 this gen, and even they didn't take more than 60% of the US market. Nice Monty Mole avatar, shame about the rest, David.

Top Bottom