• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB Regular Season 2013 |OT3| - Umpires Still Suck

Sandy Alderson just announced that Terry Collins will be returning to the Mets in 2014. Good. He actually needs a damn team worth managing.

Please win today Dodgers. If you're not going to do it for me in-person you might as well do it for others.

Donnie finally moved Puig back to lead off. Crawful is a terrible lead off so I'm not sure why it took this long.

Velcro Fly

Well that was bullshit

edit: Double play! Doesn't make up for the fact that a manager gets tossed in the bottom of the first for being correct. These umpires are fucking awful and all need to be brought down a peg or three.

Blue Jays announce Josh Johnson will not pitch again this season due to his right forearm strain. Dr. James Andrews told Johnson that his injury will not require surgery, but the Blue Jays say he will not pitch for the rest of the season.

Other moves:

-- Braves activate Dan Uggla from the 15-day DL and option Todd Cunningham to AAA

-- A's activate Brett Anderson from the 60-day DL and option Tommy Milone to AAA (Oakland only had 39 players on the 40-man roster, so a spot was not needed to be created for Anderson)

-- Indians place Ryan Raburn on the 15-day DL with a left Achilles strain (retroactive to August 19) and recall Matt Carson from AAA

Donnie took out Puig? What'd he do this time?

If anybody needs to be taken out and sat it's Carl Crawford.

when he last struck out he slammed his helmet down.. only thing i could think of

"I think, sometimes, he gets a little tired," Mattingly said. "He may not think that, but I just think mentally, sometimes, he gets more down. This is probably the most games he's played in a while, and it's pretty intense.

"Obviously, he gets quite a bit of attention, so everything he does he's had to be questioned about, and he's been really good. Mentally, sometimes I see him looking a little tired."

Talon

Well that was quick. Uggla is back in the lineup tonight.

ATLANTA -- The Atlanta Braves have activated second baseman Dan Uggla from the disabled list, two weeks after he underwent eye surgery.

Uggla is in the lineup, batting sixth, for Wednesday night's game against the Cleveland Indians. He rejoined the roster after playing two rehab games for Triple-A Gwinnett, where he went 2-for-7 with a homer but also struck out four times.

The Braves optioned outfielder Todd Cunningham to Gwinnett.

Uggla went on the disabled list Aug. 13 to undergo the Lasik procedure. At the time, he was hitting only .186 with an NL-leading 146 strikeouts and had battled eye problems all season. The first-place Braves hope improved vision will make Uggla a more potent threat heading into the playoffs.
Link

Macattk15

aaaaaaahahahaha

no one on the M's can escape this shitstorm

Jack Z somehow did! Contract for next year!

Yay!

Fuck the Mariners. Seriously. I cancelled my MLB.TV today. I should have done it a while ago.

Least Ackley has been hitting the shit out of the ball since being recalled.

Meier

Despite today's HR, I still don't understand how Ethier has regressed so much in terms of power/run production. Last year was pretty serviceable but barring a miracle he won't even get to 15 HR and 70 RBI. That is so not acceptable for an OF who doesn't steal bases.

Uggla has been baffling because he's got a great perception of the strike zone. He's always one of the top players in drawing walks and usually never swings at junk. But when it's a strike, he would just whiff. Maybe the eye thing was his issue.

nolasco was great again, another shutout

Despite today's HR, I still don't understand how Ethier has regressed so much in terms of power/run production. Last year was pretty serviceable but barring a miracle he won't even get to 15 HR and 70 RBI. That is so not acceptable for an OF who doesn't steal bases.

hes really stunk this year

last year 20/89

this year 9/46

20 or so games

Sanjuro

My seat for today.

smk9Ybi.jpg

Syrinx

Sandy Alderson just announced that Terry Collins will be returning to the Mets in 2014. Good. He actually needs a damn team worth managing.

Hmm. Kinda surprised, actually. I kinda thought they were grooming Wally down in the minors and they'd have him come up to manage around the same time his young players started making it to the big club. I don't hate the move, but Collins needs to study bullpen management real hard this offseason.

turnbuckle

2-way race for the Cy Young now between Scherzer and Darvish. Some people are over extending their argument about pitcher wins to the point where they downplay the objectively great season Scherzer is having. You could black out the W/L records for Yu, Felix, and Max and still be able to make a strong case for any of the three.

But Felix just shit the bed. There's always next year.

turnbuckle

I really hope Verlander is not a starter come October.

I really wish he wasn't a starter now. Sometimes he can throw 100, sometimes he can't, he never should need to though. Something ain't right in his head and I've listened to a few podcasts now that go into pretty great detail about his mechanics and pointing out things he's doing differently this year than in the past (the level of detail is better than what the radio or tv guys offer, btw, so I put a lot of stock in what they're saying.

I don't know if he needs some extensive time doing simulated games and really focusing on his mechanics, but whatever he's doing now he surely ain't figuring out on the field. I don't think there's an injury and I don't think this is what he's going to be next year, but it's who he is now and he needs to figure his shit out before the playoffs come. Otherwise, I'd rather him coming out of the bullpen and using either Porcello or Smyly as our #4 depending on the matchups.

What's frustrating is that he had a few starts in a row a few weeks ago where his stuff looked great again. He didn't necessarily look perfectly like he did before, but his fastball and curve had a lot of life, he was mixing in his change well, and it actually looked like we were seeing some progression. The 4 game stretch with Washington, Cleveland, New York, and KC were promising even if he gave up a few more long balls than we'd have liked.

Then he turned back to garbage.

what'd he say?

why'd you quit?

Few reasons. Too much stress/work for such a low paying job. Not enough hours and new boss was a straight up douche. When I joined my mom's cousin was running the show, but he got fired. I'm back at a Bodega I worked at before and waiting to hear back from Teaching Residency program run by the city.

Finally it's Audition Time!
Terry Collins talked a lot about auditioning players at different positions over the next few days.

Wilmer Flores is starting at second base on Wednesday night against the Phillies.

This will be Flores’ first start at second in the major leagues. He played in 106 games at second in the minors, 79 of which came this year at Triple-A Las Vegas.
Collins told reporters that Daniel Murphy would return to second base in the series finale on Thursday afternoon.

Collins also said that Matt den Dekker will start in centerfield on Thursday, displacing Juan Lagares, who might see time in right field now that Marlon Byrd has been traded.

Lucas Duda will start at first base on Thursday, as well, Collins said on his weekly spot on WFAN. As for where else Duda might play, Collins put in plainly: “Not a lot of Lucas in the outfield, unless we have to.”

Finally, Collins said that the team will call up another starting pitcher to add to the rotation on September 1, but it will not be Rafael Montero.

Link

The Autumn Wind
Ugh, Donald Trump and Bill O'Reilly together at the Mets game. I feel more ashamed than usual for my team right now.

Top Bottom