• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAL-01

Is the UI resolution a factor. 🤷‍♂️

The boot from standby measure is moot due to the timer already running before he pressed any buttons, though the Xbox does seem pretty instant. PS5 is 9-10 seconds at most, which seems fine. There’s also 2 different settings for rest mode on ps5, a super low power one and one where extra functions remain active, would be nice to know which one it was

The boot from standby measure is moot due to the timer already running before he pressed any buttons, though the Xbox does seem pretty instant. PS5 is 9-10 seconds at most, which seems fine. There’s also 2 different settings for rest mode on ps5, a super low power one and one where extra functions remain active, would be nice to know which one it was
Apparently his numbers are kind of strange, get2sammyb said that :

I get about 5 seconds from Rest Mode to the User Login screen. Then another 3 seconds from User Login to a suspended game. Didn't watch his video so not sure what he's doing differently to me, but those are the numbers I've been getting.

More in my review here: https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/11/ps5_review_-_the_future_of_playstation#loading-times

reksveks

Control Center also includes the new Switcher, a feature that Sony hasn't talked much about. On the surface, this seems like a way to quickly switch between different games, similar to the Xbox Series X's Quick Resume. You'd think that it would save your current game state, allowing you to move to another seamlessly. It doesn't though. It lets you move from game to game, but jumping from Spider-Man: Miles Morales to Ghost of Tsushima or Astro's Playroom returned me to their respective title screens. The feature is sadly more of a way to quickly switch between games. The fact that the Switcher doesn't have save states honestly feels like a misstep.

Did the Xbox QR feature either set expectations higher for reviewers so the Switcher kinda feels 'lame'?

Sinthor

Gold Member
What's the fucking point of load comparisons if its not 1 to 1 besides Witcher 3?

So I think we need to see "native" next gen games to really tell what's going on here, but this is surprising. I mean, we KNOW that the PS5 has roughly double the performance capability of the XSX when it comes to the internal drive. Did Sony have to gimp this due to thermals or something? Or is this more a matter of BC and BC related issues?

icerock

Honestly, PS5 BC being this good and Series X loading times coming so close (even quicker in some cases) is one hell of a twist given all the chatter around both. I have given a lot of shit to Sony for what they are doing Spider-Man Remastered, so not having to fork out more money to play existing games at 60fps is a relief.

Strong reviews for Miles and Astrobot too, Sony need to fund a full blown Mario esque world game with Astrobot. And, with Nathan Drake retired, make Astrobot the official PlayStation Mascot.

LiquidRex

Tbh its only natural that many would expect games to load faster on the PS5, being how vocal so many have been on the SSD/IO of the PS5.

So I guess Oodle/Kraken optimisation is yet to be implemented on current gen games running on the PS5, if that happens at all.

I'm hoping we hear more on the Geometry Engine and how powerful it truly is, plus other potential RDNA 3 features.

vkbest

So I think we need to see "native" next gen games to really tell what's going on here, but this is surprising. I mean, we KNOW that the PS5 has roughly double the performance capability of the XSX when it comes to the internal drive. Did Sony have to gimp this due to thermals or something? Or is this more a matter of BC and BC related issues?

BC games use the CPU to load from SSD, and it’s pretty probable games unpatched Sony is using similar frequencies for CPU and GPU to PS4 and Pro

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Tbh its only natural that many would expect games to load faster on the PS5, being how vocal so many have been on the SSD/IO of the PS5.

So I guess Oodle/Kraken optimisation is yet to be implemented on current gen games running on the PS5, if that happens at all.

I'm hoping we hear more on the Geometry Engine and how powerful it truly is, plus other potential RDNA 3 features.
I guess you are right about the expectations.

But there is no way to PS5 BC to be faster loading running at PS4 / PS4 Pro BC modes... they run at original clocks... it will be bottleneck by GPU before even reach 10% of the SSD speeds.

Last edited:

pasterpl

Honestly, PS5 BC being this good and Series X loading times coming so close (even quicker in some cases) is one hell of a twist given all the chatter around both. I have given a lot of shit to Sony for what they are doing Spider-Man Remastered, so not having to fork out more money to play existing games at 60fps is a relief.

Strong reviews for Miles and Astrobot too, Sony need to fund a full blown Mario esque world game with Astrobot. And, with Nathan Drake retired, make Astrobot the official PlayStation Mascot.

xbsex bc loads faster in almost all tests we have seen, so it is not that xbsex is coming close and it is quicker in some cases, it is actually faster in most cases, in addition most of xbsex bc games run at higher resolution (due to it running xbonex versions)

Xbox was always going to program the BC games much better. They've always had it whilst Sony hasn't had it in years. So, it's hardly surprising about the load times..... even though, most are pretty close. I still think Sony hasn't got a proper handle on the BC aspect just yet, but they will with future patches.

I'm not sure that most of the BC games have been fully optimized for the PS5 yet, so we may get faster loading times in the future.

HAL-01

We’ve already seen native ps5 games going from boot to in-game in 7-8 seconds, I’d put it down to some quirk with the way bc games are handled

reksveks

Order of the day/next day:
- Sony embargo
- Georgia might be 'finalized' for Biden
- Trump to throw a hissy fit and start saying he is going to bring forward more lawsuits
- AC:Vallaha XSX video/stream out today
- Some networks might start calling it for Biden barring the crazy lawsuits

Pretty close, missed out on PA being called. but we are getting there.

MastaKiiLA

Load times and framerates on BC isn't the benchmark for next-gen consoles. Wait for Dirt 5, and other next-gen games, if you're actually interested in comparing what the 2 boxes can do. Otherwise, expect inconsistent results, as BC games aren't built for the new drives. The PS5 has more raw speed, and not by a small margin. So it taking longer to load anything is all the evidence you need to know that the comparison is faulty. The question isn't really if the PS5 can load faster, it's how much faster. Will it be an appreciable amount for anyone to care? I don't know. I never bought an N64, because CD load times didn't bother me, compared to carts. I will say, though, that the Miles Morales video from DF shows impressive loads, and I hope that Sony's 1st party studios can maintain some of the practices shown, such as skippable splash screens, and super-low load times.

G5akZsD.jpg

Pretty impressive overall, better than I thought but what happened here?

DF Theorise the gpu clock is being limited to ps4 base clock. In the patched version both run at 30 fps

Lysandros

There is something very wrong with the load times for BC games of PS5 right now, that must be said. While a cross gen/open world game like Spiderman loads in sub 2 seconds from menu to gameplay, BC games don't seem to use even the brute speed difference of the SSD. I expect an explanation and an update pretty soon.

Last edited:

Montauk

Important note from Polygons review. "The PlayStation 4 titles I tested didn’t have any of the next-gen patches Sony and other developers have promised for launch, so there weren’t any additional graphical enhancements that capitalized on the new hardware. They ran like native PS4 games "

And also important to note that the OS is probably going to be continued to be patched up to and on launch day. Same for games.

We need to remember that we may not be seeing final loading performance levels at this point. Everyone's doing their reviews now (well in the last few days/week) but once the consoles are actually out additional patches may decrease the loading times on both or one of them.

Last edited:

Jose92

[Membe
Ummm wtf is this. Can anyone confirm?

You can but it seems it is not available in the pre release firmware.

pasterpl

Sure but performance still goes to the PS5 regardless of the reason

i think hitman showed that 1440p on ps5 resulted in locked 60fps vs xbsex 52-60fps at native 4K, but there are games where FPS is other way around while resolution still favours xbsex, so would be careful with statements that are definitive

i think hitman showed that 1440p on ps5 resulted in locked 60fps vs xbsex 52-60fps at native 4K, but there are games where FPS is other way around while resolution still favours xbsex, so would be careful with statements that are definitive

The majority of games struggling to hit locked 60fps on the SX hit that performance on the PS5 so yeah i'd say that's pretty definite

LucidFlux

Might well just be that certain BC games simply won't be able to take advantage of the IO to the maximum of its capability. It's no biggie.

There is something very wrong with the load times for BC games of PS5 right now, that must be said. While a cross gen/open world game like Spiderman loads in sub 2 seconds from menu to gameplay, BC games don't seem to use even the brute speed difference of the SSD. I expect an explanation and an update pretty soon.

We saw the initial round of Xbox Series X load times and while they were impressive they still didn't match up with the raw speeds of their SSD. I think these unpatched games are still heavily relying in the CPU for decompression as well as aiding the initial load, acting as the bottleneck here.

With the Series X having a 300mhz cpu advantage (without SMT) that could easily be accounting for the differences we're seeing here.

I expect both machines load times to drastically improve on next-gen games built to leverage their SSDs and I/O (look at MM on the PS5). That's when we'll better see and compare the actual capabilities of both Series X and PS5 respective SSDs and what impact CPU will still have then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom