• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
We saw the initial round of Xbox Series X load times and while they were impressive they still didn't match up with the raw speeds of their SSD. I think these unpatched games are still heavily relying in the CPU for decompression as well as aiding the initial load, acting as the bottleneck here.

With the Series X having a 300mhz cpu advantage (without SMT) that could easily be accounting for the differences we're seeing here.

I expect both machines load times to drastically improve on next-gen games built to leverage their SSDs and I/O (look at MM on the PS5). That's when we'll better see and compare the actual capabilities of both Series X and PS5 respective SSDs and what impact CPU will still have then.
It could be the fact that the BC games are not using the custom decompressor on the PS5 for load times.

onesvenus

According to the DF video, the PS5 is outputting HDR by default as long as the monitor/TV supports it. So these games will be HDR as well.
But it's more like tonemapping like themselves said than really using HDR. XSX is also not using HDR although it's fake ouput should be much better than using plain tonemapping.
I don't think the XSX I/O solution is superior either just because its doing better in load times
It is what it is though
Exactly.
If we can't say that the XSX I/O solution is faster because load times in BC titles are lower we can't neither say that PS5 BC mode is more performant than XSX one because it has higher framerates on lower resolutions.

MistBreeze

-good info today so both launch consoles are great hardware wise
-loading times are drastically faster than last gen hardware
- BC games have great performance on ps5 with most 60 fps locked ( great )
-ps5 is so fast on loading launch game with 6 seconds average ( crazy fast )
-on BC games not so much on loading department and both very close on loading times on BC titles but xbox is faster on most BC titles up to 10 seconds some times
- ps5 astro bot and miles morales launch games are great review wise.

is this the summary for today??

so both consoles are great ,,, and the ssd is the biggest upgrade to these consoles??? right??

and the games as always the most differentiator factor after all...

icerock

4t1hNci.jpg

majority noun (NUMBER); meaning

the larger number or part of something:

Seriously though, you're engaging in something which you've accused of others in the past. For instance, Geordie using the Sekiro screen as proof of Series X BC being troublesome. DF have both consoles, and they've tested both for BC and PS5 is (surprisingly) better than SX, this is literally what John wrote prima-facie. The cherry picking being done is utterly pointless. Same applies for loading times too, Series X is just outright faster in most the instances, using few edge cases is disingenuous and only pollutes the discourse which cough cough you were so surprisingly against a week ago.

So, Tom Warren was "unlucky" again with the loading times I guess.

LucidFlux

It could be the fact that the BC games are not using the custom decompressor on the PS5 for load times.

Yea it's very likely that neither are using their new decompression blocks to the fullest. You have to remember both PS4 and Xbox One already had Custom Zlib decompression blocks, although not nearly at the same compression ratios nor as powerful as what's present in the next-gen machines. These games weren't recompressed with new techniques nor patched to take advantage of the new blocks so my guess is the CPU is still aiding in that task.

Either way, one thing for certain is that with back compat games neither of them are showing anything close to their full potential.

MistBreeze

SO depending on load times for BC titles on ps5 ,,, transferring my external hdd from ps4 as it is and plugging it on ps5 and playing my ps4 games I won't loose much??

if this is it ,, it will be great excuse to save precious space on ps5 ssd...

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

Edit he added:

Technically, that's how you can use Quick Resume if its anything like XBO.

Does anyone know if QR works when its set to Energy Saving mode? Or do they even still have that setting. I saw Grubb do Full Shutdown. Maybe that's what it's called now?

That was a post I planned to post the other day. Decided to leave it because....hate to say this....but with some of these load time posts....depending on the source, it could be misleading. If it's intentional or not, that's the question.

So much to take in today. This battles are now loading times vs BC performance. Lawd, lmao.

.....and in each case....it depends on some things....

geordiemp geordiemp How about that Sekiro BC performance 😉. You called it, I had an idea too. I've been saying, we are about to get more insight into how current gen games were made.

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I'm curious to know whats up with the load times, it seems very anomalous to me as I was expecting PS5 to be ahead in that category, although all the games tested were through backwards compatibility so things are very iffy. That being said it seems like Witcher 3 loads significantly faster on the PS5 compared to the Series X.

timestampped link

I'm curious to know whats up with the load times, it seems very anomalous to me as I was expecting PS5 to be ahead in that category, although all the games tested were through backwards compatibility so things are very iffy. That being said it seems like Witcher 3 loads significantly faster on the PS5 compared to the Series X.

timestampped link

These inconsistencies with loading times between games is interesting and the same time expected.

icerock

doesnt xbsex render the bc titles in higher resolution (Xbox one versions vs PS4 pro versions)

It does according to DF, and the performance isn't stable. Which kinda goes against the main argument for having better and stable framerates, which mind you, is one of key selling points for Xbox. So, it's a surprise for a company with such a robust BC program to not reduce the resolution to hit stable framerates.

Without going into IPC gains, Series X has 2x the GPU power of One X, whereas for PS5 this number is ~2.5x, so there is more headroom to run the PS4 Pro games at more stable framerates. So, if you're using Series X rendering BC games at higher resolution as an argument to win, then you've completely missed the point.

I can nitpick where the PS5 loads faster too

Take it on the chin Riky

bIKTzY0.png

Series X rendering a BC game at lower resolution than PS5, it's doomed I tell ya!!!!!!!!!! Hurr durr!

/s

reksveks

It does according to DF, and the performance isn't stable. Which kinda goes against the main argument for having better and stable framerates, which mind you, is one of key selling points for Xbox. So, it's a surprise for a company with such a robust BC program to not reduce the resolution to hit stable framerates.
It's not upto them though, that's for the dev's to fix sadly.

edotlee

"PlayStation has established this identity as the purveyor of huge, expensive blockbuster games, and PS5 is the console manifestation of that"

It's not just the technology. The boot-up sound, the UI... even the aesthetic of the console (like it or loathe it) with the lights that bounce off the white fins, looks like the outside of my local Cineworld. It feels premium.
Over the last five years, PlayStation has established this identity as the purveyor of huge, expensive blockbuster games, and PS5 is the console manifestation of that. For studios making those sorts of experiences, and gamers who enjoy those products, this machine is purpose built for them.

Last edited:

reksveks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom