• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidRex

No, it is not on the DIE. "Infinity Cache" is a big cache to just "cache stuff". If the Socs would have such a cache, the DIEs would be much bigger. SRAM is easy to manufacture and can be quite compact, but in those dimensions, it would still be quite big. We know the Series X has 76MB of SRAM (with caches, register, ...) and still that is still not big enough.
So no chance of it being stacked.

yewles1

"Explorations for allowing players to store (but not play) PS5 games on a USB drive in a future update are underway."

"This M.2 SSD storage upgrade functionality will come to PS5 after launch as part of a system software update. We’ll share more details in the future, including around which type of M.2 SSD storage drive will be compatible with PS5."

"PS5 is compatible with 8K displays at launch, and after a future system software update will be able to output resolutions up to 8K when content is available, with supported software."

"The included HDMI cable is recommended, but in general, use an Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable that supports HDMI 2.1."

"PS4 and PlayStation VR games will load more quickly when stored on and played from PS5’s internal SSD, but they won’t leverage the full next-generation capabilities of the SSD."

"No , PS5 will not support folders or themes at launch."

"Yes , there will be a PS5 system software to the latest version on day one."

"Can I change my Online ID?

Yes!"

"PS5 automatically captures the past 60 minutes of your gameplay at 1080p resolution. 4K resolution is also available if you manually record your gameplay using the Create button."

"No , the PS5 system doesn’t include a dedicated web browser app."

"We’re updating PS4’s Remote Play feature. Now, in addition to being able to access your PS4 from a PC or a mobile device, your PS4 can access other consoles via Remote Play too, right on your TV. This includes the ability to connect to your PS5 and stream a PS5 game to your PS4 so you can play it there.

Additionally, Remote Play will add support for up to three additional users to join the Remote Play session, which allows users to enjoy local multiplayer games via Remote Play."

All the important ones.

ethomaz

Banned
No, it is not on the DIE. "Infinity Cache" is a big cache to just "cache stuff". If the Socs would have such a cache, the DIEs would be much bigger. SRAM is easy to manufacture and can be quite compact, but in those dimensions, it would still be quite big. We know the Series X has 76MB of SRAM (with caches, register, ...) and still that is still not big enough.
I'm not sure but the Infinity Cache is on die.
PS5's cache scrubbers are on die too (it is probably not like Infinity Cache).

We just need to know how much cache scrubbers PS5 has over the normal Zen2 and RDNA 2 cache.

If you take sizes in comparison PS5 looks to have way less CUs in a similar space than Xbox for example... that give the impression the CUs are bigger but I believe the fact is that the cache scrubbers are playing a big part of the PS5's chip size... that is why the PS5 chip looks big to only 40CUs.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So what's the difference between the PS5 CPU and the XSX CPU apart from clock frequency. 🤔
There are rumors that PS5 uses shared L3 cache (like Zen 3) while Xbox uses 4MB for each CCX (like Zen 2) but that is rumor.

Both are Zen 2 so if the rumor is not true the CPU is basically identical... the only difference I can see is the size of the L2/L3 cache even so it is very hard to be different.

Last edited:
"Explorations for allowing players to store (but not play) PS5 games on a USB drive in a future update are underway."

"This M.2 SSD storage upgrade functionality will come to PS5 after launch as part of a system software update. We’ll share more details in the future, including around which type of M.2 SSD storage drive will be compatible with PS5."

"PS5 is compatible with 8K displays at launch, and after a future system software update will be able to output resolutions up to 8K when content is available, with supported software."

"The included HDMI cable is recommended, but in general, use an Ultra High Speed HDMI Cable that supports HDMI 2.1."

"PS4 and PlayStation VR games will load more quickly when stored on and played from PS5’s internal SSD, but they won’t leverage the full next-generation capabilities of the SSD."

"No , PS5 will not support folders or themes at launch."

"Yes , there will be a PS5 system software to the latest version on day one."

"Can I change my Online ID?

Yes!"

"PS5 automatically captures the past 60 minutes of your gameplay at 1080p resolution. 4K resolution is also available if you manually record your gameplay using the Create button."

"No , the PS5 system doesn’t include a dedicated web browser app."

"We’re updating PS4’s Remote Play feature. Now, in addition to being able to access your PS4 from a PC or a mobile device, your PS4 can access other consoles via Remote Play too, right on your TV. This includes the ability to connect to your PS5 and stream a PS5 game to your PS4 so you can play it there.

Additionally, Remote Play will add support for up to three additional users to join the Remote Play session, which allows users to enjoy local multiplayer games via Remote Play."

All the important ones.
No mention of VRR on the whole damn thing. Not a fan.

onesvenus

So much for the "PS5 will capture the last hour of gameplay at 4K60FPS" crowd

This sounds amazing

kyliethicc

So the WD SN530 must also be customised to use a PCIe Gen4 controller (like the Phison E19T in the Seagate external) then as 2 lanes at Gen3 speed would cap it out at 1.75GB/s which tests show isn't the case?
Nah, its a Gen3x4 drive. Same 3.5 GB/s as Gen4x2. The controller is the same stock San Disk controller.

LiquidRex

There are rumors that PS5 uses shared L3 cache (like Zen 3) while Xbox uses 4MB for each CCX (like Zen 2) but that is rumor.

Both are Zen 2 so if the rumor is not true the CPU is basically identical... the only difference I can see is the size of the L2/L3 cache.
From what I understand the XSX CPU is more server based. 🤷‍♂️

ethomaz

Banned
From what I understand the XSX CPU is more server based. 🤷‍♂️
I believe the Server word was used to the GPU SAs.
The CPU is mobile based.... I will check the slides.

Edit - It is indeed mobile based.... look at the L3 and L2 cache sizes.

27RJ81xFItKz2P_MGiO1sdF-o1UwpXF4EFgCduhVYom-AXJF9gmW4vz30Ods4wayt7FOer_FpjWqpDF91Fn_-fP42kxzLaZhiKqZ8mmNRN_oQFb3DHOdDv7JHEbVeJTWfQclKJI2PApsrOBkcM2msG6T

Mobile Zen 2.

AMD-Ryzen-4000H-CPU-Block-Diagram.jpg

Server Zen 2.

amd_ryzen3000_ccd_diagram_amd_1562497593623.jpg

Last edited:
So the WD SN530 must also be customised to use a PCIe Gen4 controller (like the Phison E19T in the Seagate external) then as 2 lanes at Gen3 speed would cap it out at 1.75GB/s which tests show isn't the case?

The drive isn't 100% stock. The SN530 in that size isn't available anywhere online and I believe the specific model number details that it is a custom version of it.

It’s what the CH at the front represents. Sounds like it’s a PCI 4 variant custom for MS per Jez

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The drive isn't 100% stock. The SN530 in that size isn't available anywhere online and I believe the specific model number details that it is a custom version of it.
256GB - 1TB capacities available in three small form factors: M.2 2230, M.2 2242, M.2 2280

THE:MILKMAN

Nah, its a Gen3x4 drive. Same 3.5 GB/s as Gen4x2. The controller is the same stock San Disk controller.

But then isn't the '4' in Gen3x4 = number of lanes? And on XSX there are 4 lanes total (of Gen4 lanes on the APU side) split into 2 lanes for the internal drive (3.5GB/s max) and 2 lanes for external (3.5GB/s)?

If the WD drive is fully Gen3 including the controller but only gets 2 lanes would that not limit it to 1.75GB/s? Bloody confusing all this!

It’s what the CH at the front represents. Sounds like it’s a PCI 4 variant custom for MS per Jez

Looks like it is supplied as OEM only and not available at retail for consumers for the most part but in any case I agree it must be custom with a Gen4 controller I would think.

kyliethicc

But then isn't the '4' in Gen3x4 = number of lanes? And on XSX there are 4 lanes total (of Gen4 lanes on the APU side) split into 2 lanes for the internal drive (3.5GB/s max) and 2 lanes for external (3.5GB/s)?

If the WD drive is fully Gen3 including the controller but only gets 2 lanes would that not limit it to 1.75GB/s? Bloody confusing all this!
No because 2 lanes of Gen4 are twice as fast as 2 lanes of Gen3.

PCIe Gen3 x4 = 3.5 GB/s max
PCIe Gen4 x2 = 3.5 GB/s max
PCIe Gen4 x4 = 7 GB/s max

I assume they can hook up a Gen3x4 drive to a Gen4 motherboard with just 2 lanes of Gen4 and still get 2.4 GB/s.

Gen4 motherboards on PCs are backwards compatible with Gen3 drives.

Last edited:
6 things you need to do before you get your PS5 to be ready the day you receive it

I assume they can hook up a Gen3x4 drive to a Gen4 motherboard with just 2 lanes of Gen4 and still get 2.4 GB/s.

The x4 and x2 is what is confusing me! That is 6 lanes not 4! Help...... Surely a fully Gen3 part can't take advantage of the Gen4 speeds?

5 things you need to do before you get your Xbox Series X/S to be ready the day you receive it

If the drive is Gen3, it is only rated up to a certain signalling rate on the PCIe lanes, and it requires x4 lanes to get to its 2.4GB/s (limitation of the drive).

If you then downgrade this to using only 2 lanes, the signalling rate cannot increase (drive isn't compatible). So the speed will drop to just under 2GB/s (limitation of the interface)

However, as mentioned, the drive is M keyed, so it expects a x4 lane connection. So something isn't right with that slide from the hotchips presentation. Would be interesting to see a high resolution photo of the motherboard to see how this is wired.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

The x4 and x2 is what is confusing me! That is 6 lanes not 4! Help...... Surely a fully Gen3 part can't take advantage of the Gen4 speeds?
Its just that 1 Gen4 lane can be used for 2 Gen3 lanes. 4 vs 2. Same total speed bandwidth.

Like if you had 4 roads, each with 1 lane of car traffic, or 2 roads, but with 2 lanes of car traffic. Same amount of traffic.

Hope this helps, its not exactly how it works but can hopefully make it more clear. The drive would need 4 lanes of Gen3 to hit 2.4 GB/s, but it can also just use 2 lanes of Gen4 instead. Same speed.

Edit - And who knows if this is how they did it, I'm just speculating of course. Its unclear.

I8jyZkc.jpg

Last edited:

kyliethicc

If the drive is Gen3, it is only rated up to a certain signalling rate on the PCIe lanes, and it requires x4 lanes to get to its 2.4GB/s (limitation of the drive).

If you then downgrade this to using only 2 lanes, the signalling rate cannot increase (drive isn't compatible). So the speed will drop to just under 2GB/s (limitation of the interface)

However, as mentioned, the drive is M keyed, so it expects a x4 lane connection. So something isn't right with that slide from the hotchips presentation. Would be interesting to see a high resolution photo of the motherboard to see how this is wired.
Oh okay. Thanks. I assumed 2 lanes of Gen4 could work cause it can hit 3.5 GB/s. Maybe they made it work somehow.

Cause the drive in the Xbox is clearly Gen3x4.

Mr Moose

That's nice but people were saying it was automatically recording the last hour of gameplay at 4K60FPS
Who? I only remember this:

Its just that 1 Gen4 lane can be used for 2 Gen3 lanes. 4 vs 2. Same total speed bandwidth.

Like if you had 4 roads, each with 1 lane of car traffic, or 2 roads, but with 2 lanes of car traffic. Same amount of traffic.

Hope this helps, its not exactly how it works but can hopefully make it more clear. The drive would need 4 lanes of Gen3 to hit 2.4 GB/s, but it can also just use 2 lanes of Gen4 instead. Same speed.

Edit - And who knows if this is how they did it, I'm just speculating of course. Its unclear.

I8jyZkc.jpg

I do get this but I think where I'm falling down is I'm thinking about it in terms of say connecting a USB 1 part into a USB 3.1 port and expecting it to work at 10Gbps!

I'll retire to a dark room now.....

kyliethicc

I do get this but I think where I'm falling down is I'm thinking about it in terms of say connecting a USB 1 part into a USB 3.1 port and expecting it to work at 10Gbps!

I'll retire to a dark room now.....
It might not lol, but I know that Gen4 motherboards for PCs can use Gen3 SSDs and still get full Gen3 speed, as its backwards compatible. But it doesn't work the other way around. just like how PS4 can't play PS5 games, but PS5 can play PS4 games.

You can plug in a 5 Gb/s USB drive into a 10 Gb/s port and still get 5 Gb/s.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom