• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

cragarmi

Just relaying what Yong said in the vid. He also compared it to XSX which had a silent drive.

He also mentioned the disc drive spun up during gameplay from time to time. Was it like that for PS4? I can’t remember since I only used the drive a few times.
I haven't heard the drive spin up during game play tbh, but I've only tried PS4 games on Blu-ray, PS5 games are all downloads thus far

Does someone think we can have Infinity cache on PS5 APU?

As it seems Infinity required a GPU above 2.0 Ghz (same as on PS5) and required 16 Gb GDDR6 with a 256 bits bus (same as on PS5):

Cx9ovHI.png

0FSWPNU.png

And as far as i remember in the PS5 tear down we don't see the APU architecture:

Did you think this is possibility?

Possible? Sure.

Probable? Highly unlikely.

It is accounted for, just people dont know how to add up SRAM in a APU.

There is no big L3 cache on either console.

The question is, what is infinity cache ?

If Infinity cache is justa big L3 that assists bandwidth, then neither console will have this.

If Infinity cache is sharing L1 and optimising cache misses through coherency, scrubbers and data sharing. then Ps5 we know does some of that already.

Infinity cache is a marketing term, there are 2 things at play here, L3 for memory bandwidth and optimising L1/L2 for cache misses.

Are you reflecting on some official info here regarding PS5?

As far as I know we know very little about the APU die topology, cache layout nor have we seen a die shot yet.

For XSX MS revealed all at their Hotchips presentation. We have no such analogue for PS5.

Insomniac adds the ability to transfer saves from the PS4 version of Spider-Man to the remaster

Insomniac adds the ability to transfer saves from the PS4 version of Spider-Man to the remaster

Good news.

Now add the ability for existing Spiderman PS4 owners to receive a free update for the remaster.

DarkPassenger8

Neo Member
I know Bugsnax reviews have been in and out today but has anyone read whether or not this is secretly some kind of horror game? I have kind of been wishing for that since the reveal trailer and do not know if anyone shared my morbid excitement :messenger_tears_of_joy: Maybe it is just an unintentionally unsettling game but man those Spidey senses are tingling!

I know Bugsnax reviews have been in and out today but has anyone read whether or not this is secretly some kind of horror game? I have kind of been wishing for that since the reveal trailer and do not know if anyone shared my morbid excitement :messenger_tears_of_joy: Maybe it is just an unintentionally unsettling game but man those Spidey senses are tingling!

it doesn't sound so. but reviewers may keep it as secret too.. lol, but i know I'm going to play it on day one!

jamwest24

It was the same for PS4 and PS3 I believe.
PS consoles have remote controllers as acessories.

Yeah, honestly these consoles are probably gonna be awesome at playing 4K (or higher) video, so having a media remote could be convenient. I know that the PS5 is the only device that I have that has AppleTV and my LG OLED’s SmartTV interface and wifi antenna have started to show their age. Hopefully the power draw is minimal and wifi antennas on the PS5 make it an even better streaming experience.

travisktl

Come on my friend, I was in the US at that time and I couldn't get a PS4 till May.
I had a similar situation. Luckily, my brother and cousin both got one without pre-ordering on launch day at Walmart, because we were visiting my dad at the time, who happens to live in a small town. I personally wasn't able to walk into a store and just grab a PS4 without thinking about it until about March or April.

geordiemp

Possible? Sure.

Probable? Highly unlikely.

Are you reflecting on some official info here regarding PS5?

As far as I know we know very little about the APU die topology, cache layout nor have we seen a die shot yet.

For XSX MS revealed all at their Hotchips presentation. We have no such analogue for PS5.

There is no die area left on either console for big L3 cache (if that is what full infinity cache is).

And some RDNA2 / AMD leakers have said no - my quick calcs ages ago when I looked ps5 will be lucky to have 8 MB L2.

You can see questions from RGT, videocardz, adored TV and the usual tech sites, so Kitty is well known.

He was the guy most got 6800 AMD info from prior to launch. He also posted about XSX etc

Last edited:

travisktl

Watching MVG opening the Series S, the chip says Xbox One! Why??

Hopefully timestamped at 10:00.

RGT did a video on this today. Apparently it has nothing to do with graphics processing. It's what is called a retimer controller chip, and preps video signal to be transmitted from the HDMI port to your tv or receiver. Not a big deal like people are trying to make it out to be.

Maybe but I feel like they would be saving that for the summer, we still haven't seen gameplay from HFW so I wouldn't be surprised if the VGA's close with a gameplay trailer for HFW running on PS5. If GoW2 really is a PS5 exclusive and the graphics are as "jaw-dropping" as it's being rumored, they would probably save a huge reveal like that for June. But hey, maybe I'm wrong and we get HFW gameplay AND a small cinematic teaser at most for GoW2, I ain't complaining.

Regarding the posts, if you click on the "POC" hashtag every game developer is doing it, not just the ones from SSM.

All answering questions no one asked.

TLZ

Banned
RGT did a video on this today. Apparently it has nothing to do with graphics processing. It's what is called a retimer controller chip, and preps video signal to be transmitted from the HDMI port to your tv or receiver. Not a big deal like people are trying to make it out to be.
Took me by surprise seeing Xbox One in there. Hopefully it's nothing detrimental to this already weak system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom