• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't take that long. Stop simping for Phil Soft bro.

The future of Xbox 1st party games is not looking good. Microsoft always find a way to fuck it up. They even killed Rare. Bungie had to leave to survive lol
I'm not simping Phil, it takes time to develop games and that 4-5 year timeline from time acquired to game complete will land in 2022 for the first 7 studios they acquired. Most games when developed from the ground up take 3-5 years to complete as it is.

------------------------------
EDIT
Development Time Frames
Horizon Zero Dawn
- Development Start 2011 - Delayed 2016 - Released 2017.
God of War - Development Start 2014 - Released 2018
Spiderman - Development Start 2014 - Released 2018
TLOU2 - Development Start 2014 - Released 2020
Ghost of Tsushima - Development Start 2014-2015 - Released 2020

Don't tell me it doesn't take that much time.
------------------------------------------

Compulsion, inXile, Ninja Theory, Obsidian, Playground, Undead Labs, and Double Fine were all acquired in 2018. Each of them lacked the funding and teams to push out the games, now they have it and are allowed to work at their own pace.

Lastly, Bungie was horrible with time management, they barely even survived Activision and are now finally independent after exclaiming their independence after the Microsoft Split. Let's be real, Destiny 2 was garbage when it shipped. When they made Halo they were always crunching late in the game and they had to dump tons of features because they fucked around.

This whole thing is very similar having to rebuild and deliver near the end of the PS3's life span.

Last edited:

oldergamer

Dude think before you press enter

I am saying, Microsoft games didn't recieve any nominations last gen not because they were making mostly multiplayer games, but because their games were TRASH

You listed Halo and Gears as examples, even though in the past they recieved multiple nominations. That was during the 360 days where they didn't mainly produce trash
Dude, and what I'm saying is you saying the games were "trash" is bullshit. I listed halo and gears as examples of multiplayer games. The focus post release on those was pretty much multiplayer. Those games "rarely' get nominations. Just because a game wins an award doesn't mean its successful or popular. Like i said before, the first Ori game didn't get an award or a nomination. Still its not trash because of it.

Forza horizon is the most fun racing game out there, but if it got no nomination or award, that wouldn't make it "trash"

Dude, and what I'm saying is you saying the games were "trash" is bullshit. I listed halo and gears as examples of multiplayer games. The focus post release on those was pretty much multiplayer. Those games "rarely' get nominations. Just because a game wins an award doesn't mean its successful or popular. Like i said before, the first Ori game didn't get an award or a nomination. Still its not trash because of it.

Forza horizon is the most fun racing game out there, but if it got no nomination or award, that wouldn't make it "trash"

And once again Halo and Gears both repeatedly got GOTY nominations. Your multiplayer excuse doesn't work, because even their multiplayer games last gen were TRASH

The Xbox template last gen was a big fat yellow <70 metacritic rating

They have very, very, very few outliers of games that were actually good. The majoirty of their output has still been TRASH

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
I must admit i don't see Microsoft winning a game of the year award this entire generation.

Like i have said in the past, allowing halo to be seen or shown like they did in that state, shows a tremendous void/gapbetween how the companies approach quality in their games.

And with Gamepass always requiring fresh content, in some board meetings there will always be that reason, lets release it early for game-pass, we need content.. It's going to affect quality, no doubt there.

In my eyes Microsoft are more about quantity than quality, and how will they combat, games like god of war/rag and horizon zero dawn 2 to name a few over the next few years,

They always seem to be either playing catch up or getting things wrong,

Can they make some decent games, sure but sony just makes em better and by a long way.

If you think Sea of Thieves is a high quality game... man. Best of luck.

SoT is now with all the updates and contents added since the launch is a really good and funny game, there is a good community around the game now, and for example, on Twitch, SoT is at the 59th place of most watched games during the last 30 days. The game was lacking of contents at the beginning, but now that's clearly not the case.

Not sure if already posted, but DF's John was on Ryan McCaffrey's Unlocked xbox show a day ago, it sounds like the tools argument might be a stretch.

If you listen to John (who is trying to not reveal too much, "can't get into specifics" but has heard from sources), he's referring more to the quality of Sony's API's and ease of their Development environment. He even refers to when One X had the upper hand over PS4Pro due to a large disparity, but it was still pretty close on the basis of Sony's APIs.

Perhaps IGN was a bit hasty with Ryan's Series X review conclusion...

muj09AO.png

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What's your problem with it?

The problem is, if THIS team (supposedly their team with their best artists, their best tech engineers, and the best Gameplay directors that work for MS) is forced to create small games every year that are different it'll just mean MS is leading with business first, creativity second.

They'd be allowing the money to lead their creativity, instead of allowing the creatives dictate how the game(s) should be made.

oldergamer

And once again Halo and Gears both repeatedly got GOTY nominations. Your multiplayer excuse doesn't work, because even their multiplayer games last gen were TRASH

The Xbox template last gen was a big fat yellow <70 metacritic rating

They have very, very, very few outliers of games that were actually good. The majoirty of their output has still been TRASH
You need to learn how to read, I said they "rarely" get nominated or win. I honestly don't give a shit what you think, I don't base games i purchase or care if a game wins a fucking award. I care if the game is fun to play and i get enjoyment out of it. System warrior's" care about sales numbers, awards, and bragging about bullshit ". Gamers care about games. I can see what boat you are in.

J_Gamer.exe

Anyone seen this, probably some jokes in there somewhere....

PS5 is more important to some than toilet paper....?

People would rather not wipe than have know where a PS5 is selling? LOL... not quite but still funny....

The PS5 just beat Xbox Series X — and toilet paper

Last edited:

Zadom

You need to learn how to read, I said they "rarely" get nominated or win. I honestly don't give a shit what you think, I don't base games i purchase or care if a game wins a fucking award. I care if the game is fun to play and i get enjoyment out of it. System warrior's" care about sales numbers, awards, and bragging about bullshit ". Gamers care about games. I can see what boat you are in.
Oldergamer:
1wIX7sd.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Not sure if already posted, but DF's John was on Ryan McCaffrey's Unlocked xbox show a day ago, it sounds like the tools argument might be a stretch.

If you listen to John (who is trying to not reveal too much, "can't get into specifics" but has heard from sources), he's referring more to the quality of Sony's API's and ease of their Development environment. He even refers to when One X had the upper hand over PS4Pro due to a large disparity, but it was still pretty close on the basis of Sony's APIs.

muj09AO.png

What if you get the digital PS5? :pie_thinking:

That's bullshit. That list of GOTY candidates rarely includes online multiplayer games. For the most part almost every game MS has made has multiplayer. Minecraft, halo, gears, forza, you name it.

Yikes... this is what denial looks like.

It was a bad generation set up by Don Mattrick and company. Phil Spencer on the other hand has set up this next generation beautifully with a breadth of studios that now need to perform. I don't expect the hits to start rolling in until Q4 2021 - Q4 2022, honestly.

Sorry mate, this is just bad fanfiction. MS first party has been in shambles since the latter half of the 360 days and all the while your man Phil was in charge of their entire first party development portfolio.

I'm not sure how anyone can say with a straight face that a company leadership launching not just one but two brand new next-gen consoles with literally no first party exclusive games to speak of (apparently for at least the first 18 months) is "setting up this next generation beautifully".

That's a statement so far removed from reality that I would start to question your objectivity.

My understanding of the situation is that MS leadership severely strangled the gaming division's budget until about 2017. However, 2014 was when stuff like Sea of Thieves was greenlit, AFAIK, marking the beginning of the positive shift. Rare had spent many years having all their pitches rejected and games cancelled, yet MS essentially handed them a free pass to make the games they wanted to make. So there has been a distinct shift in culture at MS that has accelerated since 2014. And a lot of it is financial related. They closed a lot of studios and declined sequels and things like that because they didn't have money to spend. I think that if MS gaming had been flush with cash they could have greenlit Ryse 2 with no hesitation. But they didn't have the money. The Microsoft of the early 2010s would never have greenlit something like MS Flight Simulator. They would have micromanaged it into Kinect Planes or something and then cancelled it.

Fanfiction is fun, but it doesn't mean it's true.

MS have been boasting about their gaming division spend for the past 20 years. Do you guys not remember the "hundreds of millions of dollars" for the NFL deal at the start of the XB1 gen? The "millions" spent on a controller that's mostly the same every iteration? All their studio acquisitions and most recently a 7.5bln dollar deal for Zenimax?

This isn't a new development for Xbox. They've been burning cash for decades on Xbox. They haven't been nearly as budget constrained as many of you guy want to believe.

Even worse, both Sony and Nintendo have in previous gens operated their gaming businesses on significantly smaller cost bases than MS, while both being able to simultaneously deliver great hardware alongside stellar first party exclusive bangers.

Xbox doesn't have an excuse. Not Mattrick, not budget, not Balmer meddling, not the cloud, not tools, and not the pandemic. They just have poor management, and in that Spencer is a central part of the problem (literally nothing Mattrick did should take 7yrs to fix for a trillion dollar company like MS).

ethomaz

Banned

muj09AO.png

I don't think he was harsh.

The biggest paper spec number (TFs) indeed lead to believe Xbox was massive more powerful.

But then you have the Road of PS5 and the Cerny talk about removing bottlenecks and improving helping devs to works better and easier.... that is exactly what you do for a less powerful GPU match or even surpass a more powerful GPU.

Even on PC if you have a RTX 3090 but the rest of the PC is a low-end component you will have a lot of bottlenecks and the RTX 3090 won't perform like expected.

PS5 was designed thinking in all these things... to get the best from the hardware... it a shift from what they did with PS4.
Xbox was designed following the same ideia of PS4 > Pro > X1X... it still has all the bottleneck PS4, PS4 Pro and Xbox One X had and that Sony worked to get rid on PS5.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned

what kind of ridiculous statement is this, quality games are what people like, higher quality games win more awards, it's like that in real life too, put more effort into something, the better and more you get out of it.

Just because you have lowered your standards does not mean everyone else has to.

Jeez, what a way to look at things just because your ducks don't line up correctly.

quality is always the way to go, not quantity.

would you rather play a 90% game that is fun with no bugs or crashes or would you rather play a 60% game that is fun and crashes all done?

Stop defending mediocrity ffs.

You said Xbox games rarely get nominated because they're multiplayer games, and listed Halo and Gears as examples, games that have been nominated multiple times

I'm telling you the reason they rarely get nominated for one simple reason

THEY TRASH SON

Stop pretending to be something you're not. You were born a console warrior and you'll always be one

Last edited:

oldergamer

You said Xbox games rarely get nominated because they're multiplayer games, and listed Halo and Gears as examples, games that have been nominated multiple times

I'm telling you the reason they rarely get nominated for one simple reason

THEY TRASH SON

Stop pretending to be something you're not. You were born a console warrior and you'll always be one
Again, I will just repeat myself.

"I don't base games i purchase or care if a game wins a fucking award. I care if the game is fun to play and i get enjoyment out of it. System warrior's" care about sales numbers, awards, and bragging about bullshit "

not shedding a tear over your bullshit. i sincerely apologize if I hurt sony's feelings in my post that didn't even mention them in any light. That was sarcasm by the way

Last edited:
Again, I will just repeat myself.

"I don't base games i purchase or care if a game wins a fucking award. I care if the game is fun to play and i get enjoyment out of it. System warrior's" care about sales numbers, awards, and bragging about bullshit "

not shedding a tear over your bullshit.

If you can find enjoyment in games that most other people deem to be disappointing or trash. Then that's fine and good for you. But it doesn't somehow invalidate the majority's perception of that game. You were the one arguing the games aren't trash after all.

Everyone is entitled to their own subjective opinion and all, but given the context of the entire discussion is around the consensus opinion of MS FP games' quality, your own personal subjective opinion isn't really relevant to the discussion. Rather things like awards and sales metrics are the important measures for this.

Anyone seen this, probably some jokes in there somewhere....

PS5 is more important to some than toilet paper....?

People would rather not wipe than have know where a PS5 is selling? LOL... not quite but still funny....

The PS5 just beat Xbox Series X — and toilet paper

That's blasphemy nothing is more important than TP.

I must do something about this!!!!!!

Riky

$MSFT
No PS Now is same as Game Pass. It has hundreds of PS4 games to download and play on PS4/PS5. And its just $60/year, half the price of GP. And it has the streaming option for hundreds of PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1 games.

Horizon Zero Dawn just got added. Sony has been putting all their big PS4 games on over the last year.

It isn't the same for one very simple reason.

Game Pass has all first party games on day one, PS Now does not. That's a big difference.

MastaKiiLA

Fuck You O’clock.
I wonder if anyone else out East groans everytime they see those US presser times announced. TGA is Friday morning for me, and it's a holiday for me. I'm not waking up to watch any of that shit. Probably for the best, not having to suffer another poorly-paced Keighly event. I'll just catch the highlights in the afternoon.

Sorry mate, this is just bad fanfiction. MS first party has been in shambles since the latter half of the 360 days and all the while your man Phil was in charge of their entire first party development portfolio.

I'm not sure how anyone can say with a straight face that a company leadership launching not just one but two brand new next-gen consoles with literally no first party exclusive games to speak of (apparently for at least the first 18 months) is "setting up this next generation beautifully".

That's a statement so far removed from reality that I would start to question your objectivity.
Phil had people to answer to and agenda's to follow, read my second post regarding this. It wasn't until 2017 when he had complete control of the division.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

What do you think the tools are if not development environment and API's? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights

muj09AO.png

Some ppl need to really watch and listen to this section.

What if you get the digital PS5? :pie_thinking:

They're hard to find, not many ppl have one, it doesnt count.
What do you think the tools are if not development environment and API's? Or am I misunderstanding your post?

Right on cue?

Did you watch the part in the clip? He even says for last gen with the Pro vs One X, MS basically brute forced their way to better performance vs the Pro because of the specs.

....there were complaints about 'tools' for last gen, the entirely of last gen?

And he even goes on to compare it to the PS360, and we all know how that turned out...

I think its time to just face reality.

Last edited:
I've just listed four optimised for Series X. Again what PS5 games are on PS Now?
hahaha I don't know man... Horizon, Last of Us, Uncharted, etc... you know... actual great games ;)

go ahead and enjoy, you might actually subscribe and it's $60 per year :D

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
hahaha I don't know man... Horizon, Last of Us, Uncharted, etc... you know... actual great games ;)

go ahead and enjoy, you might actually subscribe and it's $60 per year :D
Dude you are replying to someone who think that Demon's Souls (ps5) is a remaster, but that optimized BC games are brand new exclusives games.

Well if you just like third person action games that aren't optimised for PS5😂

What PS5 games are on again?
My dude I listed you the whole thing lol
And only mentioned GOTYs even... you're giving me some cheapo trash on the other side. I could mention Bloodborne too btw... i mean, it's not even close to being close.
Funny you mention PS5 games when as far as I checked... yeah, there are literally zero XSX games in existence to this day :messenger_tears_of_joy:. Everything you play there is literally last gen games.

Riky

$MSFT
My dude I listed you the whole thing lol
And only mentioned GOTYs even... you're giving me some cheapo trash on the other side. I could mention Bloodborne too btw... i mean, it's not even close to being close.
Funny you mention PS5 games when as far as I checked... yeah, there are literally zero XSX games in existence to this day :messenger_tears_of_joy:. Everything you play there is literally last gen games.

None of the games you mention are PS5 games, none. They are all old PS4 games with no enhancements at all for PS5. While Gears Tactics was released on console after Series X and is on Gamepass. The other games have been updated to take advantage of Series X with 120fps and 4k60 modes.

So there are no PS5 games on PS Now, that's why it's an inferior service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom