• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiquidRex

This is quite old, no? PS2 classics on PS4 already do this.

Not to mention RetroArch already had such an Achievement system before the PS4 ever came out.
The application date is November last year, and published 5 days ago, I just wonder what if Sony were planning on emulating their Back Catalogue to from PS1.

onesvenus

Then you will know that if you make a game or interactive VR app for HTC, this App will not be able to work as it is in PSVR without making the relevant compatibility changes in the App. In the same way, for the same with PSVR1 & 2. No matter the amount of changes or difficulty of changes, the old games will have to be patched.
I was specifically asking about what I bolded. It's obvious you need at least to compile your code using each headset own sdk but that's not due to them having different positional trackings.
If, as you say, those games need to be patched it's just a matter of Sony doing it that way and not wanting the hassle of supporting two different headsets with it's own sdk, nothing else.

Oculus, for example allows you to target the Rift and the Quest headsets, which have different positional tracking systems, chipsets, etc. with the same build

ToadMan

Microsoft buying Discord is actually a big (not welcome) deal.

IMHO.

Mixer needs company? Or maybe Skype is about to be flushed. MS loves buying successful stuff and running it into the ground. They must realize that the reason their home-brewed stuff doesn't work is because people don't want MS involved - just acquiring these products and companies doesn't suddenly make people OK with their presence... The market seems to have a natural tendency to want competition not a single corp trying to buy up everything.

At least it's not games that they're going to bury this time. Something will come up to replace discord pretty quick anyway its just more :pie_eyeroll: .

Bryank75

Banned
Mixer needs company? Or maybe Skype is about to be flushed. MS loves buying successful stuff and running it into the ground. They must realize that the reason their home-brewed stuff doesn't work is because people don't want MS involved - just acquiring these products and companies doesn't suddenly make people OK with their presence... The market seems to have a natural tendency to want competition not a single corp trying to buy up everything.

At least it's not games that they're going to bury this time. Something will come up to replace discord pretty quick anyway its just more :pie_eyeroll: .
Apparently there is an app called Guilded that is almost the same.

It's so crazy to me how behind and unaware Sony is of things worth acquiring till it's way too late....

LiquidRex

The application date is November last year, and published 5 days ago, I just wonder what if Sony were planning on emulating their Back Catalogue to from PS1.
This is quite old, no? PS2 classics on PS4 already do this.

Not to mention RetroArch already had such an Achievement system before the PS4 ever came out.
It's this part that caught my eye.. .
xsUbFV3.jpg

Last edited:

ToadMan

Apparently there is an app called Guilded that is almost the same.

It's so crazy to me how behind and unaware Sony is of things worth acquiring till it's way too late....

I think Sony has not as much cash to invest which makes them more careful, and I just don't think it's their corporate culture to go out and buy something like that - its not really Sony's core market.

assurdum

Banned
I think Sony has not as much cash to invest which makes them more careful, and I just don't think it's their corporate culture to go out and buy something like that - its not really Sony's core market.
Said that the way lately MS spend billions here and there, give me to think. They could have similar deals without waste 14 billions of acquisitions but eh it's their money. Until they are happy.

Last edited:

BGs

Industry Professional
I was specifically asking about what I bolded. It's obvious you need at least to compile your code using each headset own sdk but that's not due to them having different positional trackings.
If, as you say, those games need to be patched it's just a matter of Sony doing it that way and not wanting the hassle of supporting two different headsets with it's own sdk, nothing else.

Oculus, for example allows you to target the Rift and the Quest headsets, which have different positional tracking systems, chipsets, etc. with the same build
He hadn't seen the bold ones.

Regarding my text, it is difficult to write from my mobile, especially using a translator without knowing if what is translated is correctly translated, as well as when reading other people's text and translating it to understand it, sometimes I understand the context of the questions and sometimes I don't. And other times what I publish in translation has errors that I don't see, both in translation and in context.

Also in this case I was not referring specifically to the coordinate system but to the method of physical capture of the positioning (the hardware itself as an example and its operation, as the arrangement of the buttons or new technologies could have said to say something), The case, which is what I wanted to convey, was that with new devices it is necessary to patch the game if it has not been taken into account at the beginning.

On the other hand, seeing your question, remember that I am not a "programmer", I want to make it very clear in case someone does not know, that is not my function. I have programmed in the past sporadically but it is not my specialty by far, I am sure that there are many fans here who know more about programming than I do. I say this because if you ask me about code, I won't know what to tell you. My specialty is geometry, shaders, and animation. But the code does not. All I can explain about code is what my co-workers can tell me if I ask them. I say this because sometimes when you say that you are a developer they think that you already know everything, and no. It's like when you say that you are a computer scientist and they think that then you can also be an electrician.

- Hey, can you fix this plug for me?
- Nope...
- Oh! But you weren't a computer scientist?

SubZer0

Banned

RGT was the first to leak this. 👍

Bullshit he has Nothing leaked and he wasnt the first either...
they reported about it well before him

btw first rumors i heard about a switch pro was in 2019

I don't understand the confusion here on this. Backwards compatibility is simply running the same code from the previous generation without alteration. If your hardware allows such games to run at 60fps instead of 30fps, that's good, but it's BC. This is why for example, the PS5 GPU still has the PS4 GPU's instructions buried in it. In BC mode, the PS5 can execute that code, just at a vastly faster rate of speed (if allowed). THAT is backwards compatibility. A PS4 game and game code, cannot access features of the NEW GPU that it did not have instructions for.

Now these "patches," I'm not clear on how they are working. Have we seen or had published that these patches are actually a port of the central engine or game engine code to the PS5? Or is there some way to 'piggyback' the new instructions into that code quickly? Bottom line, if the code has been recompiled for PS5 then it is not BC.

To an extent I see the issue...how do you have 'next gen' patches that still use the same graphic modes as on PS4, just better performance? Isn't that BC? I don't know that we have this clarified, but I think simple logic and common sense indicates that a small patch is NOT the same as a game being developed from the ground up for either XSX or PS5. I'm betting that Sony has simply engineered the tools to where just the core game can be recompiled for PS5 and take advantage of a limited and easily implemented set of improvements. Then developers can release the patch and all the same PS4 graphical assets, etc. can be used by the "new" version of the code. That's my guess. So it's not TECHNICALLY BC, but it is definitely not a full remake of the game with the PS5 as the target. In other words, the patch that makes say Man-eater a "PS5 game" is not taking advantage of and not a PS5 specific application like Demon's Souls Remake is.
Nope infact the coontrol remedy dev explained this properly about why crosssgen games dont perform too well or look better and how hard it is to port to new consoles, he said they are held back by old engines/ apis and the overall code. Cross gen games are not native even if they are recompiled and weve seen this with ps5 games if they arent well optimised they suffer more from how it handles general ps4 emulation and series x suffers in some cross gen games because of the api problems from xdk to gdk.

This games arent using this nextgen consoles well at all and i had this hunch for a while, you can see for example god of war bc runs with constant frame rates 60 but still uses ps4 pro resolutions and when it was patched its cbr resolutions where much more cleaner but still suffered from ps4 pro defects
wlnvXzV.png

Why do you think ps4 pro has better settings and resolutions than one x and series s here and the ps5 has lower res than series x despite having a solid 60 in most cases this just shows the brocken nature of crossgen games

Here is what the remedy dev said
HBpflwq.jpg
o3ecUed.jpg

Locuza

Mistake. No constant, but continuous boost. Variable frequency is needed for more smart flexibility, power shift is needed for more GPU performance, just a little bit beyond.
What's the difference between a constant and continuous boost?

Ок, my man, but what's about Xbox Series X then? It has slightly more power hungry GPU and more power hungry CPU at the full load. Throttling to CPU or to GPU?
As long as the Xbox Series X is not crossing a safety-critical point, it will not downclock the CPU or the GPU.
At maximum load it will keep the clock speed but the fans will spin faster and it will consume more energy.
Apps don't have to care about the power aspect of their workloads however the system is not able to clock higher for games which don't fully use the CPU or GPU, wasting potential performance.
Since there is also no power sharing between the CPU and GPU, the system is unable to benefit from unused power from one processing unit for the other.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Nope infact the coontrol remedy dev explained this properly about why crosssgen games dont perform too well or look better and how hard it is to port to new consoles, he said they are held back by old engines/ apis and the overall code. Cross gen games are not native even if they are recompiled and weve seen this with ps5 games if they arent well optimised they suffer more from how it handles general ps4 emulation and series x suffers in some cross gen games because of the api problems from xdk to gdk.

This games arent using this nextgen consoles well at all and i had this hunch for a while, you can see for example god of war bc runs with constant frame rates 60 but still uses ps4 pro resolutions and when it was patched its cbr resolutions where much more cleaner but still suffered from ps4 pro defects
wlnvXzV.png

Why do you think ps4 pro has better settings and resolutions than one x and series s here and the ps5 has lower res than series x despite having a solid 60 in most cases this just shows the brocken nature of crossgen games

Here is what the remedy dev said
HBpflwq.jpg
o3ecUed.jpg
If thats the case then console devs should be making there games with a more holistic approach to cross gen and boosts when someone gets better hardware.

If a PC game can be played on anything from possibly even an archaic Windows 7 machine to a latest greatest Windows 10 rig with a 3080, have tons of sliders where the 3080 game can max out at 4k ultra, then console game makers should be able to too.

ethomaz

Banned
He hadn't seen the bold ones.

Regarding my text, it is difficult to write from my mobile, especially using a translator without knowing if what is translated is correctly translated, as well as when reading other people's text and translating it to understand it, sometimes I understand the context of the questions and sometimes I don't. And other times what I publish in translation has errors that I don't see, both in translation and in context.

Also in this case I was not referring specifically to the coordinate system but to the method of physical capture of the positioning (the hardware itself as an example and its operation, as the arrangement of the buttons or new technologies could have said to say something), The case, which is what I wanted to convey, was that with new devices it is necessary to patch the game if it has not been taken into account at the beginning.

On the other hand, seeing your question, remember that I am not a "programmer", I want to make it very clear in case someone does not know, that is not my function. I have programmed in the past sporadically but it is not my specialty by far, I am sure that there are many fans here who know more about programming than I do. I say this because if you ask me about code, I won't know what to tell you. My specialty is geometry, shaders, and animation. But the code does not. All I can explain about code is what my co-workers can tell me if I ask them. I say this because sometimes when you say that you are a developer they think that you already know everything, and no. It's like when you say that you are a computer scientist and they think that then you can also be an electrician.

- Hey, can you fix this plug for me?
- Nope...
- Oh! But you weren't a computer scientist?
It is like when I tell people that I’m a software developer and they ask me if I can reinstall their Windows lol

I mean I don’t install my own windows because there is a whole team specifically for that in the company.

Last edited:
As long as the Xbox Series X is not crossing a safety-critical point, it will not downclock the CPU or the GPU.

I don't think that's why the PS5 does the down locking. From what I've read the PS5 has a fixed power limit and when the work load stresses out the hardware enough it downlocks so it doesn't bust the fixed power limit.

The only thing I've seen from a safety point of view is the PS5 shutting itself down due to overheating. That was in the video when they removed the heatsink to see how it reacts to overheating.

LiquidRex

Bullshit he has Nothing leaked and he wasnt the first either...
they reported about it well before him

btw first rumors i heard about a switch pro was in 2019

First to go into details, and report on internal hardware testing.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I just finished reading it and refreshed to find it locked. What inappropriate content :pie_thinking: I didn't notice any.
Would the names not being blocked out properly count? I don't believe so but that's the only thing that comes to mind.
They didn't like me prefacing the thread with my username on these boards. They consider it self-promotion. I understood and they removed it. No big deal I guess.

SubZer0

Banned

First to go into details, and report on internal hardware testing.
His stuff is all very vague and an easy guess
And he claimed that he Heard through his "sources" that nintendo is testing a new Chip... but didnt prove anything, again very vague and an easy guess

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

Oddworld: Soulstorm Q&A with Lorne Lanning – Game Lasts 20 Hours, PS5 Version Runs at 1440p@60

Soulstorm runs at 60fps at 1440p on the PS5 and 1080p at 30fps on the PS4. PS5’s technical advancements do provide us the opportunity to add some additional features that increase visual fidelity from the PS5 and the emotional connection players will feel with Abe.
Using the Tempest Engine, PS5’s 3D audio allowed us to play with the game’s sound. Gameplay on every level takes advantage of spatial audio. The vast majority of sounds are positionally emitted except for instance where we need sound events to be 2D.
The DualSense controller brings several new functions that we felt would further increase a player’s emotional connection to the game’s characters. Imagine feeling the palpitations of Abe’s heartbeat increase in times of stress and danger. Or, experiencing resistance from the adaptive triggers when Abe has to push or fight against something.
Depends on your type of gaming. The game will be about 20 hours first playthrough, but if you are an achievement or stats hunter, you can easily spend dozens of hours enjoying Soulstorm where our previous games had nowhere near the replayability.

If thats the case then console devs should be making there games with a more holistic approach to cross gen and boosts when someone gets better hardware.

If a PC game can be played on anything from possibly even an archaic Windows 7 machine to a latest greatest Windows 10 rig with a 3080, have tons of sliders where the 3080 game can max out at 4k ultra, then console game makers should be able to too.
Dont compare consoles to pcs, developing on consoles is always proprietary the old console engines you used are never compatible with new consoles, pc games suffer aswell their apis arent low level enough as consoles its why even a 36 teraflop 3090 has little effect on performance compared to a 2080 and pc games are held back by consoles this is a historical fact, you dont just tell devs what you want to happen cause they arent stupid, this is just how hardware works. The temedy dev even said it took 7 months just to make the control engine work properly on new consoles.!

Every new console comes with different technologies and youll need to revamp your old engines to new ones in order to to properly use the hardware you dont just magically port. Its why in some games you get different performance results some crossgen games perform better on ps5 some on series x it all depends on how well the devs optimised and how friendly the engine is. The real benchmark on this 2 consoles will be on nextgen games not crossgen making a benchmark on crossgen games is very premature and silly.

I thought the resolution would be higher to be honest with a game like that.
Its never about what type of game it is people get this wrong everytime they just think a 2.5d game shouldnt eat resources, the problem is how much the rendering budget is stressing the gpu even windows 98 games like rise of nations can stress a modern gpu if u put mods like infinite population infinitely remember computers solve maths and thats irrelevant with how s game looks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom