• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSfox

Another COD...

442479924eaac1e20fe942a0a3185843.gif

Well at least Acti made something dope AKA Crash Bandicoot for a change, not like EA for example that has done nothing dope since Dead Space.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Another COD...

442479924eaac1e20fe942a0a3185843.gif

Well at least Acti made something dope AKA Crash Bandicoot for a change, not like EA for example that has done nothing dope since Dead Space.
CoD needs a reboot.

I actually liked the campaign in WW2, but its basically been the same game since the original Call of Duty in 2003. we only get graphics updates and some era changes. the core gameplay almost never changes.

I am really looking forward to BF this year. they seem to be doing something far more ambitious this time around.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I know what you mean with super sampling but i think its different here

As far as i have understand isomniacs Temporal Injection Technique helps by its nature with anti aliasing/image quality

For example: we know that some games (not all) have a better image quality when running through DLSS 4k vs native 4k
Lets say you have a machine with enough horsepower to run a game at native 4k and you want the benefit in quality from that DLSS

You run that native 4k game via DLSS... Resolution wise you get nothing because you allready here (native 4k) but you get the advantage in image quality

I'm aware that upsampling provides AA... but if you are upsampling TO 4k you are not "native 4k." That's just a contradiction. You'd have to start with 4k rendering to be native; so if upsampling is involved the only way to be native 4k is to upsample beyond 4k then downsampling.. I've never heard of anything like that.

I think Richard is just wrongly using native there and it's not native (which doesn't matter to me.. game is gorgeous)

Last edited:

SSfox

If Jimbo is too lazy to make PS5 full BC, then i'll ask SSM to give us GOW collection that include all ps2/psp and cie GOW games.

SSfox

CoD needs a reboot.

I actually liked the campaign in WW2, but its basically been the same game since the original Call of Duty in 2003. we only get graphics updates and some era changes. the core gameplay almost never changes.

I am really looking forward to BF this year. they seem to be doing something far more ambitious this time around.
The first WW games were nice, it was new and fresh at the time, but i honestly don't get why people are still getting excited and buying new COD each year, i guess war theme it's like football where everybody like this and don't get bored of it no matter what.

When i think there is new COD each year, but no new VF since 15 years sometimes it make me wonder how the world can be sometimes weird.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The first WW games nice, it was new and fresh at the time, but i honestly don't get why people are still getting excited and buying new COD each year, i guess war theme it's like football where everybody like this and don't get bored of it no matter what.

When i think there is new COD each year, but no new VF since 15 years sometimes it make me wonder how the world can be sometimes be weird.
WWII War Mode was good, but needed more than 3 starting maps.

Last edited:

SSfox

WWII War Mode was good, but needed more than 3 starting maps.
I play it since it was free on PS+, the game was ok but i would be really pissed if i bought it full price and would likely sell right after i beat it.

WW and WW2 were the true mindblowing games to me, the intro of COD4 was so surprising and sick and took me off guard, that was neat, it was very new and unlike anything else, WW3 was great solo too even tho we got used to the formula but it was still a cool solo experience.

i'm not hating or something also, even if it was let's say... god of war is one of my favorite franchise since the first one on PS2, and like even if we got new god of war each year i would still got bored of it (without mentioning that the quality will goes down without the doubt by releasing new game each year)

That also the issue of AC when i think about it, for me AC is that kind of franchise that should get new game each 3 year, not less, but because Ubisoft is being Ubisoft they release one game each 1 or 2 years and then the franchise got boring and has become generic already since long time.

Last edited:
Its been more games compared, and I think you know what the difference is with all the games compared since you bought those 2 up.

True, none are, but we arent gonna just dismiss cross gen games when they never were dismissed before.

Critical and logical thinking takes a back seat for certain games, I get it.

Also....I think its really telling how you bought up PS5 superiority, I never said anything specific about either console.
It's transparent when you complained about games where the consensus is the Xbox versions are better. It's not hard to figure out. Some games will run better on one console over the other but none are truly taxing either console.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
It's transparent when you complained about games where the consensus is the Xbox versions are better. It's not hard to figure out. Some games will run better on one console over the other but none are truly taxing either console.
Could say the same about you and transparency. Dont really have time to play 'whose more neutral'.

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned

"We reached Nixxes to understand why they chosen CBR on ps5 and they said because it can stay much closer to full 4k resolution than without it but from my personal take 1440p sharpness is still better on pc than 4k CBR on ps5."
Lol wtf Nixxes at least check the final output clarity on ps5 before to use CBR ? Jeez what a fucking stupid choice. Interesting though he says also CBR seems worked worse compared the Pro and probably because ps5 doesn't support it that well as pro. Something I have already noticed personally before in an another video by ElAnalist

Last edited:

SubZer0

Banned
I'm aware that upsampling provides AA... but if you are upsampling TO 4k you are not "native 4k." That's just a contradiction. You'd have to start with 4k rendering to be native; so if upsampling is involved the only way to be native 4k is to upsample beyond 4k then downsampling.. I've never heard of anything like that.

I think Richard is just wrongly using native there and it's not native (which doesn't matter to me.. game is gorgeous)
You doesnt understand

When your upsampling method provides you 2 things AA & Resolution upscaling you can use it even if you allready at native 4k because you need that anti aliasing, its the same as a post processing filter like FXAA for example which provides also AA

NX Gamer also counted native 4k

Last edited:

Mahavastu

"We reached Nixxes to understand why they chosen CBR on ps5 and they said because it can stay much closer to full 4k resolution than without it but from my personal take 1440p sharpness is still better on pc than 4k CBR on ps5."
Lol wtf Nixxes at least check the final output clarity on ps5 before to use CBR ? Jeez what a fucking stupid choice. Interesting though he says also CBR seems worked worse compared the Pro and probably because ps5 doesn't support it that well as pro. Something I have already noticed personally before in an another video by ElAnalist
To be honest, I think the bad checkerboard rendering in this game is a bug on PS5.
Go to 3:20 and look at the bridge. A lot of stuff is flickering. The way Checkerboarding works this should NOT happen, because this part of the screen is standing still and therefore the 2 half pictures in CB should get calculated back to full quality like in native resolution, without flickering and without artefacts.
You can see that on the PS4 Pro it also looks good.

Or to make it short: IMHO the problem is not checkerboarding itself but rather a buggy implementation in this game

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Can the PS5 lack the hardware custom added to CBR found in PS4 Pro (Id Buffer?)?
If that is the case then use CBR in PS5 makes no sense.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Just to give a status update.
I finally found the parts needed to fix my Samsung Plasma D8000 2012 after over a month trying to find it.... I'm not playing games for that time except a weekend when I put my console in the bedroom TV... but it is too tiring to do that.

I hope to back to play games very soon... the guy working on it said this weekend he send my TV back.

🙏🙏🙏

PS. I brought the parts at 1/10 of the price of a new TV with the same featureset so I think the fix is still worthy... I probably will need a new TV in the future but right now I'm focused in my new baby (a woman now) and the build of my new House (almost twice the size of my actual House).

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
To be honest, I think the bad checkerboard rendering in this game is a bug on PS5.
Go to 3:20 and look at the bridge. A lot of stuff is flickering. The way Checkerboarding works this should NOT happen, because this part of the screen is standing still and therefore the 2 half pictures in CB should get calculated back to full quality like in native resolution, without flickering and without artefacts.
You can see that on the PS4 Pro it also looks good.

Or to make it short: IMHO the problem is not checkerboarding itself but rather a buggy implementation in this game
Frankly I heard that CBR solution wasn't that great on Pro too and it shows the same lowered resolution artifacts but on ps5, weirdly, it's even worse which shouldn't be the case because 60 fps improved CBR temporal work, don't know what's wrong in this CBR

Can the PS5 lack the hardware custom added to CBR found in PS4 Pro (Id Buffer?)? If that is the case then use CBR in PS5 makes no sense.
Who knows. In theory ps5 should support better alternative of CBR on geometry engine but frankly it's annoying this lack of information around the ps5 GE and I bet whatever you want Ryan is the dickhead around this silence. It's annoying can't go deeper to the custom features inside the ps5 and after the disastrous Road of ps5 reception, Ryan indeed to improve the communication prefers the silence because doesn't knows how to handle PR stuff as always.

Last edited:

Vagos48

Το revert to another scaling method would result in substancialy more development time. That's the only reason. As seen from God Of War, PS5 perfectly supports CBR, as long as it's a good Implementation.

assurdum

Banned
Το revert to another scaling method would result in substancialy more development time. That's the only reason. As seen from God Of War, PS5 perfectly supports CBR, as long as it's a good Implementation.
Not absolutely. Quality mode uses dynamic native output on ps5 too. Nixxes clearly thought temporal higher pixels density was better than the native one at lower resolution, but if the same NXG notices 1440p native is still sharper than their 4k CBR solutions, it would seems they haven't checked using their owns eyes imo.

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You doesnt understand

When your upsampling method provides you 2 things AA & Resolution upscaling you can use it even if you allready at native 4k because you need that anti aliasing, its the same as a post processing filter like FXAA for example which provides also AA

NX Gamer also counted native 4k

Can you link me to where anyone at Insomniac said this?

Because their Temporal Injection technique renders roughly half the pixels each frame.

It's not "native 4k" then. And there's nothing wrong with that; just an improper use of the term. Native 4k is pointless, especially when technique's like what Insomniac employs can render half the pixels and put out a superior image.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
Unity biggest issue seems to (have been)/be when the .Net runtime does gc, it can cause framerate issues. Most games seems to work around that by pre-allocating the data and reusing existing allocated data and classes, thus avoiding gc hits.
Wait. There are game engines with actual garbage collection? I had just assumed that most were in C/C++ for perf reasons and we're not subject to GC (even if they use workarounds to similar effect).

Relatedly, I think it'd be cool to see a game engine written in Rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom