• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I had a flawless run and was really lucky. Started straight from beginning of Act 2 and beat the final boss without dieing once (and a total of 6 deaths).

Arrived at the boss with 2 full health bars, the "machine-gun rocket launcher" and a few positive perks (5% weapon damage for each 200 orbits - had 1200+, several other weapon damage bonuses etc.).

Didn't even have to use any of the 3 small and 1 large health items.

Great game, going for the paltinum now.

Sweet! I'm still surprised that I managed to finish the game in less than 12 hours since its release time. After 2 premature death in the 1st biome, the 3rd run was a marathonic run from 1st to end within less than 8 hours, sitting roughly as the 41st (was 40th for some reason) to finish the game according to this website with many others finished it more than a week before launch due to review copies and leaked physical copies that tend to be found around 1-2 weeks before official release.

bo-returnal.png

It's one of the fastest games I've ever beaten, and I'm always taking so much time exploring and taking full joy of the games I play with no trophy hunting in mind. Although I'm happy with the game, that's one reason why it's 8.5/10 to me instead of 9.5/10 as I thoroughly checked every optional door available (except golden gates/horde mode) so that's pretty short to my liking and roguelike isn't enough excuse to me. And keeping me awake for ~30 hours to beat the game wasn't fun.:lollipop_anguish:

For perspective:

AC Valhalla: 162 hours.
Death Stranding: 114 hours (still like 95% finished all missions and some few left).
MGS5: 250+ hours.
The Wither 3 + DLC's: ~250 hours.
AC Odyssey + DLC's: ~250 hours.

Even games like TLOU2 I would spend a lot of hours near the 100 hours mark as exploring every cabinet, door, shop, closet is something I enjoy in games. After finishing the game I never touch it again which leads to deleting it.

Still not feeling the roguelike genre, and will only play exceptions like Returnal that offer more than generic, regressive gameplay design that is stuck in the early 1990's.

Last edited:

yamaci17

Good thing the XSX|S have RAM saving features like SFS and Velocity Architecture to reduce the need to have more physical memory. Every XSX|S having a standard SSD will also alleviate this 'issue'.

Good on you to acknowledge that even though the XSS has less RAM than the X1X it gets better performance in most of the games that appear on both platforms. Resident Evil to be the latest example plus the option for raytracing, a feature the X1X with more RAM, lacks entirely. This is from the system that is an upgrade to the X1S. It's almost like the RAM argument isn't really a real 'issue'.
let's say they work really efficient, then why would microsoft even bother putting 16 gb total memory to main console then?

if it were to be that efficient neither sony nor microsoft would push total 16 gb memory on both of their prime consoles

yamaci17

You don't need as much Ram if you are rendering at sometimes a quarter of the resolution. You also will not need as much when your engine includes SFS and Mesh Shaders as has been detailed several times in presentations. Developers concerned need to use the full feature set of the machine, then we will see what they say.
well this is wrong

there's not a "huge" gap between 1080p ram usage and 4k ram usage. all games these days only have one set of "ultra" textures and you either run that or your game look horrible (evidenced by medium textures in cyberpunk and high textures in rdr 2. both games literally enforce yo to play with ultra textures or you're left with garbage textures that only saves like 200-300 mb of vram at best

KHhJLxR.png

eL6OLAc.png

flight sim:

Gr45Miq.png

i dont really know where and how this myth of "lower res needs much lower vram!1" misinformation spread. games these days have a "baseline" vram consumption and resolution is not a big factor in it,as you can see from the charts above.

let's theoritically say a game needs to use 3 gb normal memory for audio, animation, physics and such. you cant easily nerf these across platforms, so this usage will be static for both sx and ss.

sx in theory have 13.5gb usable memory for games,
and ss in theory have 8 gb usable memory for games

if 3 gb normal cpu memory is used for both systems, that would leave series x with a net of 10-10.5 gb of vram (which developers will likely to stop at 10 gb because of split memory)
and that will leave series a 5 gb vram amount.

based on how games scale in vram consumption across the games, you cant fill that gap with low res alone. you cant even fill that gap with LOWEST textures. i dont even know what can make up for that difference. i would say very big disparity in terms of graphical composition will occur for series s at some point. not in terms of resolution, but in terms of lighting, general quality of the game, shadows and what have you.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

They have hardware support for sampler feedback, this has been common in GPUs. It's the streaming bit which is exclusive to Xbox, which are HW filters that help prevent clipping at the edges for textures arriving late(straight from a Xbox engineer mouth - well, fingers since it was a twitter post). This is not a problem on PS5 due to the fast, low latency nature of its I/O complex. Textures won't arrive late, as seen in something as crazy as the U5 demo.

Unfortunately all of this gets lost in translation, gotta war.
Great point.

For me the bigger question is if it is even the right tool for the job - and worth the fab space on the chip in the long run.

60fps performance mode is seemingly becoming a thing on consoles - as a alternative to the default fidelity mode at 30fps. The word "feedback" in the feature name refers to an additional pre-pass to determine texel fragments' locations - of the scene geometry, pre-rendered with low res mipmaps - to then stream in specific texels from a optimal quality mipmap, for just the rendered fragments.

The feedback adds latency to rendering regardless of h/w acceleration AFAIK - because the load saving is from 6GB -> 10GB or SSD -> 10GB (along with the transfers through the caches), which in 16ms frames isn't an ideal critical path constraint IMHO.

By comparison, I assume PS5's cache scrubbers, and geometry engine/CPU can achieve the same(yet better latency with no pre-pass or late texels), by being more conservative in the (PRT) partially resident texture used- for loading from SSD - and just conservatively evict unwanted texels - based on a area calculation of projected polygon vertices (along with texture coordinates) - and then continue to forward load PRT textures until the geometry engine/CPU estimates space has been exhausted.

I'm thinking something a little analogous to a tailor making a suit by measuring the customer first and then cutting exact patterns with optimal use of fabric, before pinning and stitching (XsX SSF), versus, taking fabric parts from the largest patterns needed, and then pinning and stitching the large parts direct on the customer, followed by cutting away the excess (PS5 cache scrubber style). Method one would have advantages if time wasn't an issue, but method 2 would be significantly quicker at the expense of wasting a less crucial resource.

My thinking is that - with advanced next-gen software - when the camera moves a small amount, but enough to invalidate the "feedback" of an SSF PRT on XsX, the entire process needs done from scratch, again because the cache can't be partially cleared. In the same scenario, I would expect the PS5 to be able to preserve and replace redundant data at a granular enough level to see some significant redundancy savings in data loading, pre-pass rendering and latency to make the scrubbers the far superior choice.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
i dont really know where and how this myth of "lower res needs much lower vram!1" misinformation spread.
It was to counter all the rumors of devs absolutely hating the idea of the lockhart.

Remember, devs repeatedly expressed disdain at the idea of a weaker SKU. this is Brad Sams in 2019 when reports first came out of lockhart being shelved.

“Developers were having a harder than expected time creating next-generation games that spanned across two systems with various specs. As you might expect, developers were putting a focus on making games that would run well on the lower-end device first and then scaling them up to the higher-speed, Anaconda,” said Sams.

So, this would have caused a “performance and visual disadvantage” on the most powerful of the two models, since developers on Xbox would’ve built their games on Lockhart and then ‘ported’ them over the most potent Anaconda, which would have never received ‘native’ titles to show its true potential.

Thats Brad Sams. An MS insider. Digital Foundry also heard from many devs about how it was a pain in the ass.

Timestamped:

EVERY dev hated it.

So you had internet armchair engineers who went about spreading bs about vram usage and how everything can just scale down as long as you scale down the resolution to try and hide the fact that the most knowledgeable people in the industry hated that very idea of that console. And because devs are bound by NDAs, they cant speak or when they do like Billy Khan did, they are forced to walk it back the next day.

Best case scenario, devs give MS a big FU and treat the lockhart like the switch this gen. 360p-480p ports with graphics scaled back so much they look like blurry abominations.

6B45Icd.png

5PCPGdM.png

F8DDQmL.jpg

zlSO0G0.png

VocIsoz.png

P.S I like the idea of a $299 cheaper console for the mainstream gamer. It would definitely increase the adoption rate which will shorten the cross gen period, and get the hardcore gamers like us more next gen games quicker.

However, I dont think it's fair to those mainstream gamers to give them an inferior product. If MS wanted to be consumer friendly then they shouldve made a 10 tflops discless console like the PS5 DE and taken the extra $100 loss themselves. They can afford it. they are in a better place now with more profits than they had back when they launched the OG xbox for what must have been at least a $100 loss. This isnt consumer friendly. I could understand them releasing a $299 handheld at 4 tflops because 480p-720p wont necessarily look awful on a small handheld, but people will be playing these games on massive 4k screens.

Good idea. Poor execution.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
It was to counter all the rumors of devs absolutely hating the idea of the lockhart.

Remember, devs repeatedly expressed disdain at the idea of a weaker SKU. this is Brad Sams in 2019 when reports first came out of lockhart being shelved.

Thats Brad Sams. An MS insider. Digital Foundry also heard from many devs about how it was a pain in the ass.

Timestamped:

EVERY dev hated it.

So you had internet armchair engineers who went about spreading bs about vram usage and how everything can just scale down as long as you scale down the resolution to try and hide the fact that the most knowledgeable people in the industry hated that very idea of that console. And because devs are bound by NDAs, they cant speak or when they do like Billy Khan did, they are forced to walk it back the next day.

Best case scenario, devs give MS a big FU and treat the lockhart like the switch this gen. 360p-480p ports with graphics scaled back so much they look like blurry abominations.

6B45Icd.png

5PCPGdM.png

F8DDQmL.jpg

zlSO0G0.png

VocIsoz.png

P.S I like the idea of a $299 cheaper console for the mainstream gamer. It would definitely increase the adoption rate which will shorten the cross gen period, and get the hardcore gamers like us more next gen games quicker.

However, I dont think it's fair to those mainstream gamers to give them an inferior product. If MS wanted to be consumer friendly then they shouldve made a 10 tflops discless console like the PS5 DE and taken the extra $100 loss themselves. They can afford it. they are in a better place now with more profits than they had back when they launched the OG xbox for what must have been at least a $100 loss. This isnt consumer friendly. I could understand them releasing a $299 handheld at 4 tflops because 480p-720p wont necessarily look awful on a small handheld, but people will be playing these games on massive 4k screens.

Well it's already happening I don't think there are many good ports for XSS. It's just what Visual Studio do, like authoring smaller sized textures and then "meh". I would like to see sales, because either they make shitload of XSS or nobody is buying them. Well at least here is the second option, it's like 90:10 ratio, based on my friend who is doing at sales/logistic at biggest Czech Retailer. XSX on the other hand is strongest Xbox launch here. So till june is backlogged. Less than PS5 obviously, but still like multiple times of X360, which started selling in 2008, when it was just for 250bucks core version. That's when I get my first console.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
With how impressive RT can be (look at the unseen side of his hand reflected on his eyes) we need smart solutions like the UE5 Nanite with fixed polygon/frame budget so devs can easily work around dealing with only moving objects for their traditional LOD's like trees, characters/NPC's, and so on.

image.jpg

See the accurate reflections of the bulbs on that object on the right:

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-03h14m16s151.png

Also the reflections on that cockpit glass:

vlcsnap-2021-05-03-14h18m29s570.png

All while being in Native 4K! See the amount of particles! Very satisfying while being very high quality not BS 2D:

vlcsnap-2021-05-03-14h36m56s162.png

vlcsnap-2021-05-03-14h33m51s822.png

vlcsnap-2021-05-03-14h34m35s248.png

And all the particles are dynamic and react on impact, physics-based. Even the shells are highly detailed! The attention to details in this game really sets it apart from the industry.

vlcsnap-2021-04-27-21h57m24s330.png

Let's not forget the complexity of the city that CyberPunk 2077 failed to even get close to their promise and many journalists and analysis remember CP2077 when seeing this:

vlcsnap-2021-04-30-02h31m09s913.png

The use of chromatic aberration, blurr/distortion around the corners adds that cinematic, anamorphic lens feel. They definitely used some cinematic expertise probably from Sony Pictures to make this pleasant elusion (can be turned off in the menu).

maxresdefault.jpg

vlcsnap-2021-04-26-20h44m25s732.png

Especially that horizontal flare known in anamorphic lenses.

lights-comparison-1.png

As a common viewer, you just "feel" something special when seeing something as good as Ratchet and Clank, not necessarily know exactly what it is but you find many calling it "Pixar", of course not knowing that Sony Pictures VFX one or the bestin the industry.

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Looks Like a Playable Pixar Movie in New Gameplay Trailer

And this is not all we should expect, things will only get better from here.

And finally, I know I said the password and it's a matter of time...

giphy.gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Well it's already happening I don't think there are many good ports for XSS. It's just what Visual Studio do, like authoring smaller sized textures and then "meh". I would like to see sales, because either they make shitload of XSS or nobody is buying them. Well at least here is the second option, it's like 90:10 ratio, based on my friend who is doing at sales/logistic at biggest Czech Retailer. XSX on the other hand is strongest Xbox launch here. So till june is backlogged. Less than PS5 obviously, but still like multiple times of X360, which started selling in 2008, when it was just for 250bucks core version. That's when I get my first console.
Yeah, even here the xsx sells out within hours if not minutes. the console market is exceptionally strong for both consoles even at the $500 premium pricepoint. there was really no need for DE or XSS versions.

I don't know if you are failing to see the logic issues in what you are writing or if my logical thinking is flawed.

If both Series X and S have the same RAM saving features, which we assume save the same amount of RAM, isn't the total available RAM on the S still less than on X?

Or are you impling, that the S has even better RAM saving features? And if that's the case, why not use them on the X to increase performance even more? And we are back at the S having less RAM than the X...

Feels like an Atropos loop... I need to get a pause from Returnal.
Here's a simple question. What takes up the MOST RAM in a game console game logic or texture data? Another question. What resolutions are the XSX targeting and what about the XSS? If the XSS will be needing less texture data overall its lower quantity of RAM is less of an issue.

All consoles require a degree of optimization. Returnal crashing and having issues with DLC costumes show that not even the PS5 is immune from technical difficulties. Capcom choosing to not lock the resolution and framerate on resident evil is not the XSS' fault. It was a design choice that causes unnecessary problems. A developer that takes advantage of the features available to them on the XSX|S will not have the same problems that a developer that chooses to not use those features. Especially when talking about a limited RAM pool.

let's say they work really efficient, then why would microsoft even bother putting 16 gb total memory to main console then?

if it were to be that efficient neither sony nor microsoft would push total 16 gb memory on both of their prime consoles
I like this question. Why does Nvidia bother making a 3090 video card when most people are good enough with a 3060? 16GB of memory was necessary to get 4K resolutions. Memory is critical if you are trying to push higher resolutions and MS wanted to make a box to cater to people who have 4K tvs like the XSS is for people who have 1080p sets. It's not that complicated. It doesn't mean that there shouldn't be efficiencies added to make a good thing even better.

DaGwaphics

@ SlimySnake SlimySnake , I love the switch vs. 1X comparisons. A 12x memory bandwidth advantage will really sharpen things up for you. I don't think the XSX and XSS are quite that far apart. No need to use stand-in images to compare XSS to the rest of the generation, just use side by sides of the games already released. 🤷‍♂️

JTCx

I like this question. Why does Nvidia bother making a 3090 video card when most people are good enough with a 3060? 16GB of memory was necessary to get 4K resolutions. Memory is critical if you are trying to push higher resolutions and MS wanted to make a box to cater to people who have 4K tvs like the XSS is for people who have 1080p sets. It's not that complicated. It doesn't mean that there shouldn't be efficiencies added to make a good thing even better.
3060 > Series S

SlimySnake

@ SlimySnake SlimySnake , I love the switch vs. 1X comparisons. A 12x memory bandwidth advantage will really sharpen things up for you. I don't think the XSX and XSS are quite that far apart. No need to use stand-in images to compare XSS to the rest of the generation, just use side by sides of the games already released. 🤷‍♂️
we cant use the side by sides of games already released because they are last gen games. im sure the switch can run ps360 games without downgrading the visuals.

as for the switch vs 1x comparisons, i agree, they arent the most accurate, but blame DF for that. The mortal kombat and witcher 3 screenshots arent comparisons, and if you cant see that the downgrades go far beyond just resolution drops then there is really nothing more to talk about. people see different things I guess, and I'm convinced that when heavily downgraded xss games do come out people will not find anything wrong with them.

yamaci17

3060 > Series S
actually, my friend's 1060 performs nearly equal to series s in valhalla

i don't know what settings series s plays, but my friends get 50-55 fps at med-high mixed settings at 972p (%90 res scale)

if he were to push 810p-720p like series s does, he would probably get the same 60 fps but of course, he barely "accepted" the 972p so i cant even imagine having him forced to play at 810p

i would argue that series s can catch up to a 1070 levels of performance in terms of raw gaming performance in upcoming years with its extra capabilities such as mesh shading, variable rate shading

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Did you get the
small music box
already?
Such strong vibes of Bloodborne I'm getting here. My mind is blown, I really wasn't prepared for such a game :)
Yes I did. Didnt think about this.

Yeah, when I found out just how strong melee was, Bloodborne instantly came to mind. In some instances you have to be aggressive, even with the light show coming your way.

DaGwaphics

we cant use the side by sides of games already released because they are last gen games. im sure the switch can run ps360 games without downgrading the visuals.

as for the switch vs 1x comparisons, i agree, they arent the most accurate, but blame DF for that. The mortal kombat and witcher 3 screenshots arent comparisons, and if you cant see that the downgrades go far beyond just resolution drops then there is really nothing more to talk about. people see different things I guess, and I'm convinced that when heavily downgraded xss games do come out people will not find anything wrong with them.

Both the new systems drop frames in almost every cross-gen game released so far, so let's not kid ourselves into thinking those GPUs aren't being pushed as it is. The capabilities available will be used more efficiently in the future, but that's an across the board thing. At any rate, the XSS isn't as statistically far behind the XSX as the Switch is from even the base PS4, so it's not a relevant point IMO.

We'll see what XSS looks like down the road.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And Nioh plus Spiderman were extremely fast as well. And I believe Astrobot as some pretty fast loads then there's Returnal which seems pretty quick as well. I don't know if has been proven yet but RE8 loads extremely fast as well.
The new loading times make last gen on SATA2 HDDs look like a slog. We are back into the cartridge days of load times, yet pushing a million times the assets and information. Need me a PSQuinto.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Someone recreated the MGS3 stair climb sequence in UE4. Looks great. Lets see what Cerny can come up with.

Remake of one of the most iconic scenes in MGS3: The ladder scene. As an Easter present for everonye, we decided to spend a few weeks to recreate this game part as a small cinematic with a funny bonus of a typical cardboard box sneaking sequence. We hope you enjoy! Everything rendered in real-time using Unreal Engine 4.26 with full RTX raytracing enabled.

Dodkrake

Banned
I think you're misinterpreting what Richard is saying when you take into context what Alex said just before. I took it as, Sony is the baseline (meaning, industry leader and has more SSD brute force) and Microsoft has these DirectX API features specific to their hardware to improve performance with their SSD/GPU (DirectStorage). It could be an uphill battle to convince third parties to adopt said technologies/APIs instead of just relying on SSD brute force on both PS5 and XSX.

That's a load of Bullshit. You're talking API's and hardware access. There's no SSD brute force, you still need to code for it and use the SDK to properly leverage features. There's an argumento to state. that it would be easier an more efficient to leverage DX12 related features as they are available on PC, as is every Xbox related game (pretty much), and not optimize as efficiently for the PS5.

Pretty much every single thing you can find on DX12 or Sony's SDK will be similar between both, or trying to achieve the same goal.

Timestamped:

EVERY dev hated it.

6B45Icd.png

5PCPGdM.png

F8DDQmL.jpg

zlSO0G0.png

VocIsoz.png

This is another comparison of the Switch and XSS. I suppose because they are both $299 they must have the same performance. I also think its pretty funny that people can tell MS they need to take a bigger loss on their console when they are already taking a loss on the hardware of the XSS and XSX now. Businesses care about making money and the XSS is part of a long term plan to get more people into the Xbox ecosystem. It is just fine the way it is. It is pretty clear the XSS was not designed to be a high end graphical device. Yet the biggest knock against it is that is doesn't have high end graphics, it's pretty funny. Also if you are going to knock the XSS why not post some actual footage of the system working as supposed to posting screen shots of the Switch?!

Many people scream from the top of the mountains TF don't matter right? The XSX has more TF than the PS5? Who cares! Yet the XSS having 4 TF is a major problem and puts on the Switch level. Interesting. This also ignores the point that was made that a GCN TF is different from an RDNA 2 TF. Also how many TF does the Switch have anyway? Can it do raytracing? Can ANYONE point out a console that is more powerful and the same price or less than the XSS? I just need one example please.

When the best you can do is post old tweets from devs complaining about an outdated dev kit from before the system coming out you know people are just searching for a reason to hate. Posts from devs NOT complaining get ignored? Of course!

XSS got a bunch of FPS boosted titles along with the XSX. XSS has the same quick resume features the XSX has. It supported cold storage at launch when other more expensive consoles just got the feature and it has a memory expansion option other more expensive consoles STILL lack. It is supposedly an amazing emulation box. It is $200 less than the XSX and the conclusion? It is not a consumer friendly device. This is bad comedy. Again people who actually use the device speak very differently than people here who have lots to SAY about the XSS but clearly don't know what they are talking about. Here is just ONE such video.

I get it. The Xbox as a brand isn't as popular here. Some of you guys have a passionate hatred of MS. Some of you are scared they are going to push Sony out of the console space. Don't be afraid guys. The Xbox can't hurt you or your favorite hobby. Sony is doing just fine and if the Xbox is the big joke many of you think they are, they can be ignored just like people ignore the Amazon Luna. Maybe one day it will just fade away especially since the XSS is just a Switch in white box right? Poorly executed indeed.

dcmk7

Banned
This is another comparison of the Switch and XSS. I suppose because they are both $299 they must have the same performance. I also think its pretty funny that people can tell MS they need to take a bigger loss on their console when they are already taking a loss on the hardware of the XSS and XSX now. Businesses care about making money and the XSS is part of a long term plan to get more people into the Xbox ecosystem. It is just fine the way it is. It is pretty clear the XSS was not designed to be a high end graphical device. Yet the biggest knock against it is that is doesn't have high end graphics, it's pretty funny. Also if you are going to knock the XSS why not post some actual footage of the system working as supposed to posting screen shots of the Switch?!

Many people scream from the top of the mountains TF don't matter right? The XSX has more TF than the PS5? Who cares! Yet the XSS having 4 TF is a major problem and puts on the Switch level. Interesting. This also ignores the point that was made that a GCN TF is different from an RDNA 2 TF. Also how many TF does the Switch have anyway? Can it do raytracing? Can ANYONE point out a console that is more powerful and the same price or less than the XSS? I just need one example please.

When the best you can do is post old tweets from devs complaining about an outdated dev kit from before the system coming out you know people are just searching for a reason to hate. Posts from devs NOT complaining get ignored? Of course!

XSS got a bunch of FPS boosted titles along with the XSX. XSS has the same quick resume features the XSX has. It supported cold storage at launch when other more expensive consoles just got the feature and it has a memory expansion option other more expensive consoles STILL lack. It is supposedly an amazing emulation box. It is $200 less than the XSX and the conclusion? It is not a consumer friendly device. This is bad comedy. Again people who actually use the device speak very differently than people here who have lots to SAY about the XSS but clearly don't know what they are talking about. Here is just ONE such video.

I get it. The Xbox as a brand isn't as popular here. Some of you guys have a passionate hatred of MS. Some of you are scared they are going to push Sony out of the console space. Don't be afraid guys. The Xbox can't hurt you or your favorite hobby. Sony is doing just fine and if the Xbox is the big joke many of you think they are, they can be ignored just like people ignore the Amazon Luna. Maybe one day it will just fade away especially since the XSS is just a Switch in white box right? Poorly executed indeed.

If you're going to quote someone and not even address a single one of their points.

Then what was the point of even replying?

yamaci17

i have nothing against sx, and i see it as a proper nextgen console

the fact that series s only plays cyberpunk at 30 fps/1080p is a proof that it's simply not powerful enough to push 1080p 60 in a high demanding game

now people will rush into the discussion saying series s works based on one s version. NO!

neither one x nor one s has a performance mode. yes, one x DO not have a PERFORMANCE mode. yet, series x has both performance mode and quality mode.

as of right now, cyberpunk runs with "quality" mode. performance mode would mean it would actually drop to 540p!

cdpr will probably use nextgen enhancemenets that series s introduces (rdna2 tech, variable shading etc.) to push 540p 60 fps to 720p 60 fps and 1080p 30 fps to 1296p 30 fps.

that's about it. this alone proves how weak series s is

Zadom

OlApDdv.jpg

Mr Moose

I can't read all of this...
The Switch is weak and the new model can't come soon enough, the problem with the Series S is the RAM, it's got a nice CPU and a fast SSD (a bit too small though, but fine for a few games).
Don't even get me started on the non-switching Switch Lite.
Series S isn't worth it imo because it came out at the same time as it's much better big brother, the Series X, it's like buying a Xbox One SAD when you could get a One X, yeah it's cheaper but if you can afford the other you shouldn't be choosing the weak version imo.

Thirty7ven

Banned
The problem with the Series S is the RAM and bandwidth mainly. At its price, it was either going to be a winning bet to expand the Xbox market or it would become nothing more than an anchor for developers. As time rolls by it’s looking more and more like the later, but it’s still early to stop the count.

People don’t buy 1080p TVs anymore, hell they haven’t been buying 1080p TVs and the 4K tv market continues to grow at speed. Fact is most people buying the series S will be playing it on a 4K TV where its limitations stick out today and will only get worse as full on next gen productions roll in. At 299€ it’s poor value too, with the smallest storage solution of the three, no disc drive, and just 100€ under the PS5DE... it’s a tough sell and you just know MS was not expecting Sony to pull that one. Good luck hoping India comes to save the day.

Kholinar

Banned

lmao wait til 3 years in. 720p guaranteed. bookmark this.

kyliethicc

The problem with the Series S is the RAM and bandwidth mainly. At its price, it was either going to be a winning bet to expand the Xbox market or it would become nothing more than an anchor for developers. As time rolls by it’s looking more and more like the later, but it’s still early to stop the count.

People don’t buy 1080p TVs anymore, hell they haven’t been buying 1080p TVs and the 4K tv market continues to grow at speed. Fact is most people buying the series S will be playing it on a 4K TV where its limitations stick out today and will only get worse as full on next gen productions roll in. At 299€ it’s poor value too, with the smallest storage solution of the three, no disc drive, and just 100€ under the PS5DE... it’s a tough sell and you just know MS was not expecting Sony to pull that one. Good luck hoping India comes to save the day.
Don't worry man its got an HDMI 2.1 out port.

WHOdRTm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom