• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

GuessWho

Out of curiosity do issues display immediately after the nexus was purchased or just appear suddenly? Because mine has shown no issues so far.

pestul

Yikes. I think I might have a borked Wifi radio.. :/

I can get my full 30Mbps on upload to a test site but only 5-10Mbps on download (80Mbps connection). Also, the pinging of the tester ip is really bad yet fine on every other device. Goddamn..

pestul

That.. or it seems the Nexus 7 (any model) doesn't like Cisco E4200 routers according to others wtf.. Gonna try flashing another Tomato firmware and see what it does.

Out of curiosity do issues display immediately after the nexus was purchased or just appear suddenly? Because mine has shown no issues so far.

I think it kind of depends on the issue -- most hardware problems tend to show up right away, but (for example) with the 2012 Nexus 7 the slowness bug didn't show up for me until after six months.

asdad123

Any recommendations for PDF readers? I tried aldiko and the regular abobe reader, but really cant get used to them.

I would love something where I can save bookmarks and see them all on one page. As a reference, I used ibooks before for my PDF on my ipads, and really enjoyed that.

Any recommendations for PDF readers? I tried aldiko and the regular abobe reader, but really cant get used to them.

I would love something where I can save bookmarks and see them all on one page. As a reference, I used ibooks before for my PDF on my ipads, and really enjoyed that.
I think you can do all that with Amazon Kindle, and it works pretty well. Haven't done it in a while though since I rarely have the need.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Got my LTE Nexus 7 finally!

Question though, it came with the T-Mobile Sim card and everything, but no instructions on how to activate it on other carriers. Do I have to go into Verizon and add it somehow and get a Verizon Sim?

Got my LTE Nexus 7 finally!

Question though, it came with the T-Mobile Sim card and everything, but no instructions on how to activate it on other carriers. Do I have to go into Verizon and add it somehow and get a Verizon Sim?

yes.

well, you can SIM swap if your Verizon phone uses the same size SIM but then you won't get calls...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
yes.

well, you can SIM swap if your Verizon phone uses the same size SIM but then you won't get calls...

Out of curiosity does the Sim itself have to support 4G? I have an old Droid X with a Verizon Sim but that wasn't a 4g phone. If I use that Sim would I get 4g just fine?

Also its supposed to be $10 a month to add a tablet on your plane but if I use an old Sim would they know?

Downhome

How do you print from the Nexus 7? I installed Cloud Print, connected my printer, but I do not see a share button or print button in any apps at all. Am I missing something?

Downhome

I bought this one, and although I've only had my Nexus 7 today, it seems to work perfectly...

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/accessories/chargers/sku6290260.html#fbid=-0-yO6vD3IH

It was a huge thread over on SD so I picked it up and got it before I even had the Nexus 7 in hand. A few different colors too!

As a new Nexus 7 owner, and a first time Android owner, could someone please take a second to help me out?

Simply put, what is the best tutorial to "root" the tablet, and more importantly, what are the benefits to doing so? What are some must have apps both before and after rooting it? I hear this can do far more than an iPad, my iPhone, and especially my HP Touchpad that I've been using since I bought one in a firesale. I just want to make sure I make the most of this new device. Thanks guys!

Punkroses

Finally got my bookcase from Portenzo after a month of waiting.

GXxRgGxl.jpg

jYKC37Bl.jpg

pheonix991

Neo Member
Looks great. How are you liking it? Worth the cash?

I have a hardback. It's great. Worth the cash? Meh. It gets the job done 12x better than the moko I had. Only cost about 10x more than the moko.

Looking at those pictures, I'm glad I didn't get the bookcase style.

Bullza2o

Just got a Roocase slim, and it feels so good compared to my smelly Exact leather case.

Also, can anyone recommend me a good Youtube app? As a WP8 user, I really like MetroTube and myTube and would like to know if a similar app is available on Android.

DonMigs85

Honestly to me it seems pretty pointless to root or install custom ROMs on this device. There's no SD slot anyway and the device is plenty fast already without having to overclock or alter CPU states. That probably just generates more heat and eats the battery faster too. The point of a Nexus device is having unadulterated Android and getting updates first.

Also I got a Moko Slim-Fit case, hope it holds up well. Does the pleather have a tendency to flake or disintegrate over time?

DarkFlow

Banned
Honestly to me it seems pretty pointless to root or install custom ROMs on this device. There's no SD slot anyway and the device is plenty fast already without having to overclock or alter CPU states. That probably just generates more heat and eats the battery faster too. The point of a Nexus device is having unadulterated Android and getting updates first.

Also I got a Moko Slim-Fit case, hope it holds up well. Does the pleather have a tendency to flake or disintegrate over time?
Idk, I just put AOKP on mine and it seems a lot smoother.

JordanKZ

Just got a Roocase slim, and it feels so good compared to my smelly Exact leather case.

Also, can anyone recommend me a good Youtube app? As a WP8 user, I really like MetroTube and myTube and would like to know if a similar app is available on Android.

What do you think is wrong with the default Youtube app? Might give us a place to start.

galdevo

Nothing really wrong with it. I just want a Youtube app where I can download videos for viewing later, no ads, etc. Just an alternative.

this. my current country has a bad connection and I could really use something like this to get me back to being a regular YouTube user.

JordanKZ

Nothing really wrong with it. I just want a Youtube app where I can download videos for viewing later, no ads, etc. Just an alternative.

I believe there's an XDA thread where they have the old version of Youtube modified to download videos. You can pre-cache videos from your feed from the official app though, its in settings.

As for ads? Unless you root and use Adaway, you got no chance.

DonMigs85

I believe there's an XDA thread where they have the old version of Youtube modified to download videos. You can pre-cache videos from your feed from the official app though, its in settings.

I just put up with the ads since that's how they earn revenue, just like GAF

Jzero

Just got my DT-900 and.... it takes for ever to charge my Nexus 7. Noooo!

Edit: It seems that it charges faster if the device is off.

Bullza2o

Oh I'm not into rooting, at least not yet. And ads are a very minor problem for me, as it only takes like 3 seconds before I can skip them. I probably was just accustomed to awesome WP 3rd party Youtube apps because of the platform's situation with Google. Thanks for the info though!

The Youtube app doesn't seem 1080p HD though, I don't know how to change it to a specific resolution nor what resolution it is being shown as "HD."

WoodWERD

Any of you guys having issues with the Netflix app? I've cleared the cache, data, reinstalled, etc. but I still get occasional hanging at the red loading screen. A reboot usually fixes it, but that's pretty annoying as it's one of my primary uses. Seems to be pretty widely reported on the Google forums so hopefully there's a fix soon. Other than that I haven't had any issues with my launch version (32gb wifi).

And to follow up on the Moko Slim case; I think it'll do the trick for my purposes. I just wanted a little added coverage when I throw it in my laptop bag and it seems up to task. It hugs the tablet pretty well and does not cover the screen whatsoever (when the flap is off). The magnet snaps into place nicely when closing it up, but the tent mode or whatever you call it leaves a little to be desired. It holds up fine once you get it into place though. I can take some pics if anyone is interested.

vapor

I have a Portenzo bookcase for my gen 1... considering splurging for the same again on the gen 2. Absolutely great case, but a bit on the bulky side. The ability to stably stand it upright (intellistand mode) totally perpendicular to a large, stable base is awesome for reading in bed.

Anyone have a good suggestion for alternatives? I tried a version of the moko case and wasn't really into it...

*edit* I'm curious about the wireless charging on the gen 2 Portenzo as well!

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I picked up a Moko slim-fit stand case, it's pretty nice. It feels well made and the stand functionality works perfectly, I love the way it has grooves in the case so it just slots in nicely, my old case you just bent into place and it never sat right. My only complaints would be the stylus holder position and the amount of dust the inner case attracts, whenever I close and reopen it my screen is covered in dust and I have to wipe it down, this was never a problem with my old case.

tIsDibW.jpg

JordanKZ

Oh I'm not into rooting, at least not yet. And ads are a very minor problem for me, as it only takes like 3 seconds before I can skip them. I probably was just accustomed to awesome WP 3rd party Youtube apps because of the platform's situation with Google. Thanks for the info though!

The Youtube app doesn't seem 1080p HD though, I don't know how to change it to a specific resolution nor what resolution it is being shown as "HD."

Good news:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/appsblog/2013/sep/18/youtube-mobile-app-offline-downloads

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Funnily enough there a few of these apps on the App Store. I've been using VideoTube on Play, doesn't that cache videos?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Top Bottom