• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Nopren

Getting my Nexus 7 tomorrow. Is there a list of programs/videos/soundfiles you can use to check your tablet for the known issues?

Darkwater

Damn. I've ordered 2 Nexus 7s. In the first batch, both would connect to my WPA2-secured router just fine, but no data would come through. Though sometimes it would, for a short time. Removing the security from the wireless network would always solve the problem. Now with the 2nd batch of Nexus 7s I have the same damn thing! It's working for the moment, but it's just a matter of time before it says 'Connected' but I can't actually receive any data. Anyone else have this?

Getting my Nexus 7 tomorrow. Is there a list of programs/videos/soundfiles you can use to check your tablet for the known issues?

I used this to test out multitouch issues:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.the511plus.MultiTouchTester

Damn. I've ordered 2 Nexus 7s. In the first batch, both would connect to my WPA2-secured router just fine, but no data would come through. Though sometimes it would, for a short time. Removing the security from the wireless network would always solve the problem. Now with the 2nd batch of Nexus 7s I have the same damn thing! It's working for the moment, but it's just a matter of time before it says 'Connected' but I can't actually receive any data. Anyone else have this?

Are you running the latest update? Mine was a little flaky about connecting to my router until the update, but it's been fine since.

Darkwater

I used this to test out multitouch issues:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.the511plus.MultiTouchTester

Are you running the latest update? Mine was a little flaky about connecting to my router until the update, but it's been fine since.

I'm on the latest now. The issues seem to be gone, yeah. Though the problem was intermittent with the last one, so I'm not entirely convinced the problem's defintely gone now.

What about backlight bleeding? Each one has had it up until has it. Not a terrible lot, but they all have it. Is it an inherent thing with the panel type? If so, I guess I'd be willing to accept.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I got another OTA update today, JSS15R. It broke root so I had to re-root but that only took a few minutes, apparently it has some wifi and touch fixes.

Big-ass Ramp

hella bullets that's true
Add me to this Nexus brotherhood, got it tonight. First glance, wow stock android is so much better than this touchwiz bullshit on my phone

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Any help with the rooting question? What's the best way to do it now days? Any good reasons to with the Nexus?

Also, can you change your lock screen wallpaper to a different one than your main?

Any help with the rooting question? What's the best way to do it now days? Any good reasons to with the Nexus?

WugFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit is what I use, from what I hear it's the easiest way to go.

I rooted mine mostly for running Titanium Backup and Greenify, but unless you want to mess around with custom ROMs it's not really necessary. I'm kinda thinking about unrooting mine so I don't have to deal with the hassle for OTA updates.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Returning my LTE Nexus 7 because of the Verizon stuff. :(

I need a tablet that will work on the go. Maybe they will officially support the Nexus 10? Or I'll have to go iPad Mini 2.

Any of you guys having issues with the Netflix app? I've cleared the cache, data, reinstalled, etc. but I still get occasional hanging at the red loading screen. A reboot usually fixes it, but that's pretty annoying as it's one of my primary uses. Seems to be pretty widely reported on the Google forums so hopefully there's a fix soon. Other than that I haven't had any issues with my launch version (32gb wifi)

Quoted for reference...

Just had this problem with my brother's girlfriend's nexus 7. At first, Netflix was giving me a error 15001. The android/google forums said to do the above, and it all else fails, clear data for Google Framework Services to force a reinstallation of 4.3 Jellybean.

the good news? Netflix finally boots without error. The bad? After about 30 seconds, the device enters sleep mode automatically. When we try to unlock it, the screen flashes and re-enters the black sleep mode screen...fortunately this is nay when using Netflix (though she has complained about random shut offs beforehand...)

Any ideas, Tech-GAF? Thanks for any support?

DrFurbs

Guys I'm considering a nexus for reading academic journals. Is it suitable size wise because I've read the aspect ratio? Isn't really suitable.

I need my journals on the go and the nexus is a perfect price.

JordanKZ

Guys I'm considering a nexus for reading academic journals. Is it suitable size wise because I've read the aspect ratio? Isn't really suitable.

I need my journals on the go and the nexus is a perfect price.

Well, text legibility isn't going to be a problem. I've been reading magazines without needing to zoom at all because the PPI is so high. What journals in particular were you looking at?

DrFurbs

Well, text legibility isn't going to be a problem. I've been reading magazines without needing to zoom at all because the PPI is so high. What journals in particular were you looking at?

Jordan just academic science journals... Black and white PDFs.

Phanta

Ordering a 32GB WIFI tomorrow. Any recommendations on accessories?

Thinking of getting a screen protector(is it needed?) and a case that could withstand backpack usage.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

Thinking of getting a screen protector(is it needed?) and a case that could withstand backpack usage.

I don't think a screen protector is needed. Just get a case and you are good.

That is just me though.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Just bought a "mint" condition Nexus 7 2013 on another form for $135/shipped. Figured it's an opprotuninity to play with the pure/best version of Android on the cheap. I have an iPad, and will upgrade to the next-gen model; but for a Benjamin, I figured I can always resell it for about what I paid.

Any thing in particular I should try/do/buy/look out for that I can't do on my iPad or iPhone?

Darkwater

I'll personally be getting this:

Finally got my bookcase from Portenzo after a month of waiting.

GXxRgGxl.jpg

jYKC37Bl.jpg

ShowDog

Has anyone had their screens get scratched yet? From what I understand, this was an issue with the first N7 but the current model has Gorilla Glass, right?

DarkFlow

Banned
Just bought a "mint" condition Nexus 7 2013 on another form for $135/shipped. Figured it's an opprotuninity to play with the pure/best version of Android on the cheap. I have an iPad, and will upgrade to the next-gen model; but for a Benjamin, I figured I can always resell it for about what I paid.

Any thing in particular I should try/do/buy/look out for that I can't do on my iPad or iPhone?

I have a feeling you got one of the Random Rebooting ones for that price.

pestul

Got JSS15R and still can only get 10Mbps down and terrible ping (30Mbps up). I'm thinking I might have to get it repaired or something. :/

Top Bottom