• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus 7 2013 |OT| No SD card edition

Phanta

LOVING my Nexus so far. So sharp and sleek. Bought one of the poetic cases as well.

Only complaint so far is that sometimes the touchscreen is unresponsive and you have to tap it a couple of times.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just saw the Amazon HDX announcement. I'm still leaning Nexus 7 for Christmas but dammit if I'm not a wee bit tempted elsewhere.

While the idea of Prime Videos is legit you're still stuck with Amazon's forked version of Android which is totally meh. The one good app (offline video play = bossly) doesn't make up for all of the other flaws.

Vox-Pop

Contains Sucralose
Just saw the Amazon HDX announcement. I'm still leaning Nexus 7 for Christmas but dammit if I'm not a wee bit tempted elsewhere.

Kinda want the HDX 8.9, but I'll wait what Google plans to do with N10.

Does the amazon store have all the same apps as the google store?

While the idea of Prime Videos is legit you're still stuck with Amazon's forked version of Android which is totally meh. The one good app (offline video play = bossly) doesn't make up for all of the other flaws.

Thanks for this. My wife has a Kindle Fire and their implementation of OS is the one thing that drives her nuts.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Kinda want the HDX 8.9, but I'll wait what Google plans to do with N10.

Does the amazon store have all the same apps as the google store?

iiV7wGDUvo6fQ.gif

Protome

Got my Nexus 7 32GB at the weekend, absolutely loving it so far. I just got the plasticky Asus travelcase with it, it's not that bad.

Downhome

That sucks. This thing is perfect for me so far other than that one missing feature.

Oh, and I have Dish with the Hopper w/Sling and my God I love using the Dish Anywhere app on this thing. It has totally changed how I watch various shows. It is a great pair.

GutsOfThor

Is anyone else having problems with YouTube and Facebook not loading on their nexus 7? On mine, both apps just sit at the loading circle....

pestul

Is anyone else having problems with YouTube and Facebook not loading on their nexus 7? On mine, both apps just sit at the loading circle....

Well not like that, but Youtube has been terrible with the video buffering on my N7. Unusable most of the time.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone having an issue with search boxes using Firefox? When I type it's extremely slow for the letters to be appear, maybe 3 - 5 seconds. When I type on say the Google Play Store it's instant.

I'm probably going to be getting a Nexus 7 within the next few days, and have a few quick questions.

- Should I buy a screen protector? And if so, which one would be best?
- I'm thinking about getting this case, as it seems to be great for the money. Has anyone here had any big problems with it?
- Is the 32 GB model worth the money over the 16 GB one? How much does the OS and such use?

Phanta

I'm probably going to be getting a Nexus 7 within the next few days, and have a few quick questions.

- Should I buy a screen protector? And if so, which one would be best?
- I'm thinking about getting this case, as it seems to be great for the money. Has anyone here had any big problems with it?
- Is the 32 GB model worth the money over the 16 GB one? How much does the OS and such use?

If you get a case and are a generally careful person, a screen protector isn't needed.

I have had the 32GB model for about 1 week now and it's worth it if you are going to lead it up with content(videos, games etc) The OS for me takes up about 14MB

i just got my N7 this week and am also looking for screen protector recommendations. I'm a little hesitant to get one that applies wet - not to mention I'd rather not have to wait 12 hours after application.

I will probably get this case unless someone has a better suggestion: Poetic Slimline Case for Google Nexus 7 2nd Gen

The Poetic is good value

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I've had my 2013 Nexus 7 for about a week now - it's my first Android device ever after having all iPhones and iPads. I currently own an iPhone 5S and just sold my iPad 3 in anticipation for the new model this fall.

Trying to be fair assessing it, my initial thoughts are:

Build quality is pretty solid. A step down from the iPad Mini, but it's still "good." Definitely feels solid and does not feel cheap. I hate the off-center front-facing camera, though. Without a physical home button, it's easier to grab the tablet in the wrong orientation and struggle for a sec to find the power button.

The screen is phenomenal. Absolutely up there with the best of them - which I would argue are currently the iPad 4, HTC One, and PSVita. Lots of color, super sharp, more-than-acceptable blacks. The whites are a bit tinted, and the blacks shadow a bit in dark scenes; but it's still an extremely competitive display.

The hardware seems plenty fast. There's definitely a slight hesitation or "judder" when scrolling a webpage or using pinch-to-zoom. On the home screen and whatnot, it's not an issue; but when browsing the internet for example, it's not bad, it's just an immediately apparent step-down from what I'm used to. So I don't think Android is a "sluggish mess" like many argue by any means - but I can see how it's not quite as smooth as what I'm used to - and it is a bit distracting since internet is the biggest reason I use a tablet.

The App Store seems plenty robust. Yeah - there's a couple things missing; and new stuff seems to release on iOS first sometimes. However, there's a lot to choose from - and so long as you're not someone wanting the newest apps 100% of the time and downloading stuff every day, you'll be fine.

I still don't see the allure of widgets. Maybe I'm missing something or need to give it more time - but scrolling through an email widget or looking at the weather isn't harder than swiping down my notification center. Having a calendar or something is okay I guess, but it's not like clicking an App icon is hard or anything. I think it would be a bigger deal on a phone, where you use the device to get small bits of info very quickly. But on a tablet, I'm usually sitting down with it anyway, so it's not much of a need at all.

The form factor is .... .... surprisingly great. I use a full-size iPad, and I really couldn't ever give it up as I use it for travel a lot. And so when I'm in a hotel room, I want a bigger display for browsing the internet. The iPad provides that, and I don't see any reason I'd be willing to give that up. However, if it weren't for travel, I really love the "grab-ability" of the 7. It's just "handier." More like grabbing your phone than your laptop - I can throw it in my backpocket if I need to, so I never HAVE to carry it in a pinch. It's not a device where I must consider bringing it with me... I just can. Event the iPad Mini isn't good enough for this. So, again, it's not right for me - but I can definitely see the allure.

Only thing that I'm actually "disappointed" with is the battery life. Most reviews say it's really good - but I'm burning through about 20% every hour and a half - making for about 7 and a half hours at medium brightness. And it loses about 5% charge each night, if not more; where as my iPad lost about 2-3% over night. It's not BAD - but I was expecting comparable or better to my old iPad - not worse.

Overall though - the price is a huge factor. I think my impressions are "just a notch or two down from the iPad" - but it's less than HALF the price. That's a huge bulletpoint; and so for most people, I think I would recommend the 7 if money is a concern and/or they want a smaller screen.

samn

Only thing that I'm actually "disappointed" with is the battery life. Most reviews say it's really good - but I'm burning through about 20% every hour and a half - making for about 7 and a half hours at medium brightness. And it loses about 5% charge each night, if not more; where as my iPad lost about 2-3% over night. It's not BAD - but I was expecting comparable or better to my old iPad - not worse.

Part of the reason is that a bigger device like an iPad 3 will have a much bigger battery. When the screen is on, the increase in power consumption is proportional to the increase in screen size, but when the screen is off you get all the benefit of the battery life without the screen sucking down any power.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Part of the reason is that a bigger device like an iPad 3 will have a much bigger battery. When the screen is on, the increase in power consumption is proportional to the increase in screen size, but when the screen is off you get all the benefit of the battery life without the screen sucking down any power.

Totally true - same reason the Galaxy Note line gets some of the best battery life in the phone biz. But most reviews online seem - IIRC - put the Nexus 7 right up there with the iPad in most battery rundowns. So I was just expecting better. And, honestly, have come to expect better out of my tablet. EDIT: Though, again, not to say that 7.5 hours is bad by any means. It's not Surface-levels ;p

ghibli99

I've had my 2013 Nexus 7 for about a week now - it's my first Android device ever after having all iPhones and iPads. I currently own an iPhone 5S and just sold my iPad 3 in anticipation for the new model this fall.

Trying to be fair assessing it, my initial thoughts are:

[snip]

Overall though - the price is a huge factor. I think my impressions are "just a notch or two down from the iPad" - but it's less than HALF the price. That's a huge bulletpoint; and so for most people, I think I would recommend the 7 if money is a concern and/or they want a smaller screen.
Thanks for the detailed write-up... that's similar to the impressions I had with my first-generation N7. I still use it daily, but the screen could definitely be better, as can the battery life. I've tried every rom/kernel combo out there, and while some are better than others, battery life leaves a bit to be desired. I'm intrigued to upgrade to the 2013 version, but haven't since my original is still "good enough" for most things.

Rengoku

The hardware seems plenty fast. There's definitely a slight hesitation or "judder" when scrolling a webpage or using pinch-to-zoom. On the home screen and whatnot, it's not an issue; but when browsing the internet for example, it's not bad, it's just an immediately apparent step-down from what I'm used to. So I don't think Android is a "sluggish mess" like many argue by any means - but I can see how it's not quite as smooth as what I'm used to - and it is a bit distracting since internet is the biggest reason I use a tablet.

I haven't experienced this myself, but then again, I was coming from an older gen iPad 3. I found that the browsing experience on the nexus 7 was quite abit smoother and it could handle around 15+ tabs without breaking a sweat, whereas with the iPad 3 I found that by the 5th or 6th tab, it has trouble holding them all in memory.

I still don't see the allure of widgets. Maybe I'm missing something or need to give it more time - but scrolling through an email widget or looking at the weather isn't harder than swiping down my notification center. Having a calendar or something is okay I guess, but it's not like clicking an App icon is hard or anything. I think it would be a bigger deal on a phone, where you use the device to get small bits of info very quickly. But on a tablet, I'm usually sitting down with it anyway, so it's not much of a need at all.

I kind of agree with this, On the phone, I find widgets extremely useful, as it saves time having to find the app, and then wait for it to launch, and then navigate to the view I want. On the tablet, I don't necessarily need all that information quickly, also almost all widgets I find are just the phone size versions scaled up, not necessarily designed to take advantage of the additional screen space.

The form factor is .... .... surprisingly great. I use a full-size iPad, and I really couldn't ever give it up as I use it for travel a lot. And so when I'm in a hotel room, I want a bigger display for browsing the internet. The iPad provides that, and I don't see any reason I'd be willing to give that up. However, if it weren't for travel, I really love the "grab-ability" of the 7. It's just "handier."

Slightly unrelated, but travel wise, I had the hardest time getting Netflix US to work in hotels overseas using the iPad. Whereas with the Nexus 7, all I needed was the Hola unblocker app, and I was good to go. And that's the other sad part, I'm pretty sure Apple will never change it's stance on allowing a region unlocking app on their store.

I have a very similar experience, my iPad 3 was way better in battery life, but it was also significantly heavier, so I guess thats the tradeoff.

Blackhead

Redarse
Totally true - same reason the Galaxy Note line gets some of the best battery life in the phone biz. But most reviews online seem - IIRC - put the Nexus 7 right up there with the iPad in most battery rundowns. So I was just expecting better. And, honestly, have come to expect better out of my tablet. EDIT: Though, again, not to say that 7.5 hours is bad by any means. It's not Surface-levels ;p
Take into account that the Nexus 7 has a much brighter screen than the iPad. 'Medium' brightness on your Nexus will use more battery life than 'medium' (lower) brightness on an iPad.

Jintor

Well great. Fucking thing died sometime during the night and won't turn back on. Wasn't even at low battery... should've plugged it in, but the contacts are finnicky anyway, so who knows if it'd have charged...

Checked the battery connectors and they're solid, so guess I'll just leave it plugged in and pray.

GuessWho

Well great. Fucking thing died sometime during the night and won't turn back on. Wasn't even at low battery... should've plugged it in, but the contacts are finnicky anyway, so who knows if it'd have charged...

Checked the battery connectors and they're solid, so guess I'll just leave it plugged in and pray.

I believe if you hold the power and low volume button at the same time it should work.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So I've been playing a ton of games on my Nexus 7 as of late, and man do some of these look really good with the Nexus' screen. The resolution, ppi, and color quality really make some of these games look fantastic. Never really thought I'd be playing a ton of games on an Android device other than some quick hits on my phone.

The graphics look really fantastic for some of this stuff though!

PS: I got some screens if stuff if people care to see! :p

DonMigs85

Anybody have scratches on the rubbery plastic shell yet? It seems pretty tough but a small nick appeared on mine, don't recall it ever hitting anything.

reKon

Banned
So I've been playing a ton of games on my Nexus 7 as of late, and man do some of these look really good with the Nexus' screen. The resolution, ppi, and color quality really make some of these games look fantastic. Never really thought I'd be playing a ton of games on an Android device other than some quick hits on my phone.

I never shut up about this game, but Kingdom Rush is definitely the best game to play

Phanta

What games do you recommend? I'm pretty open minded in terms of genre.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ordered my new Nexus 7.

Anyone want the official ASUS dock for my old (2012) Nexus 7? I'll give it to you for free if you pay for shipping.

pestul

Well my wifi issue fixed itself with another router reboot.. weird. I had tried that several times except possibly after the JSS15R update. Works perfectly now.

Top Bottom